Balance in the news

oxforddon

If Pattaya is so bad why do people leave jackets, helmets and even groceries on their unlocked bike, and return to find them untouched.

So true, most of the time I don't even lock my car.

Though I did have a helmet stolen once on Pattaya nua about six years ago. Probably a farang!

"probably a farang ", Yep "no Thai would do that" Wise up

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tourists are turning their backs to Pattaya,Thailand.

Why because nothing has gotten better in the last ten years for them instead things went down hill for foreigners.

So if people feel unwelcome and are treated unfairly on a regular basis yes then they will go elsewhere.

Perhaps The thais also are not broken heart about the farangs packing up their bags.So its a win win situation.

I'm not a big fan of Pattaya but I'm even less of a fan of generalizations and emotional mistruth!

Pattaya has changed enormously in the past ten years, most of it has been for the better, sadly however some aspects have stagnated and the increase in tourist numbers has magnified them.

On the plus points: there's a lot more higher quality hotels, decent upmarket shopping centres, tourist attraction that are geared towards families (rather than single adult males), airport access has been eased as Swampy came online and theme parks have been built to provide alternate entertainment, and so on.

So yes, many many things have changed, you just haven't seen them or noticed them!

I am a positive person but when talking about Thailand or Pattaya i think its more fair to be honest instead of positive.

U say a lot is better because there is swampi...And so what an airport and then?

I am saying the place became much more restricted with complicated visa procedures,etc,however foreigners death rate went up with 54%,,then playing bridge is already crime.

People who spike your drinks and rob your belonging get a slap on their hands.Jet skies mob still there..While countries such as vietnam have a positive vibe with relaxing their real estate ownership laws and their foreigner employee laws again i sadly see the contrary over here.I not see that bright future for us as you try painting it.

Since Swampy came about, access to and from Pattaya has been made far easier than when folks had to use just Don Muang, that was my point, it;'s made access more convenient.

And you say that "the place became much more restricted because of visa procedures", yet early you wrote that people are "turning their backs on Pattaya". Visa procedures are common to Thailand as a whole and not just Pattaya so I'm not sure now whether you are complaining about, visa's within Thailand or things not having got any better in Pattaya in the past ten years!

look at the latest foreigners death rate besides and how foreigners often get treated and in various ways as a second class citizen.I think Thailand can do so much better.

Since Swampy came about, access to and from Pattaya has been made far easier than when folks had to use just Don Muang, that was my point, it;'s made access more convenient.

And you say that "the place became much more restricted because of visa procedures", yet early you wrote that people are "turning their backs on Pattaya". Visa procedures are common to Thailand as a whole and not just Pattaya so I'm not sure now whether you are complaining about, visa's within Thailand or things not having got any better in Pattaya in the past ten years!

look at the latest foreigners death rate besides and how foreigners often get treated and in various ways as a second class citizen.I think Thailand can do so much better.

The subject is balance in the news, with that in mind: I think the news should be less focused on sensational tabloid type reporting, especially given the low death rates of foreigners as a percentage of overall visitors per year. It's only to be expected that a very small percentage of the 900k tourists will not return home as a result of some tragic event yet to read the news we are almost led to believe that thousands die each week, not so when we look at the facts.

The subject is balance in the news, with that in mind: I think the news should be less focused on sensational tabloid type reporting, especially given the low death rates of foreigners as a percentage of overall visitors per year. It's only to be expected that a very small percentage of the 900k tourists will not return home as a result of some tragic event yet to read the news we are almost led to believe that thousands die each week, not so when we look at the facts.

I know for some reasons u looking for just publish positive news here but let me give example :a newspaper article A Jet ski operator extort an indian tourist for a minor damage 250,000 BHT.Jet ski operator does not get charged.Then you guys will comment on the article saying how stupid of this tourist to even rent the jet ski.Its totally his own fault he should have know better going to Pattaya.

Then later you ask us if Pattaya is a Lawless place ? we then have to admit that Pattaya seem to be lawless place for some persons and especially if you are Thai.Then you begin to disagree and start to talk about Sampy and great new resorts and how wonder full of a place it is..Sorry but i get confused...

I know for some reasons u looking for just publish positive news here but let me give example :a newspaper article A Jet ski operator extort an indian tourist for a minor damage 250,000 BHT.Jet ski operator does not get charged.Then you guys will comment on the article saying how stupid of this tourist to even rent the jet ski.Its totally his own fault he should have know better going to Pattaya.

Then later you ask us if Pattaya is a Lawless place ? we then have to admit that Pattaya seem to be lawless place for some persons and especially if you are Thai.Then you begin to disagree and start to talk about Sampy and great new resorts and how wonder full of a place it is..Sorry but i get confused...

I'm looking for balance, not just good news and not just bad but balance, and proportionately so.

It's far too easy to knock Thailand than it is to see its positive sides ( a vast majority of TVF posters do this), with a cautious eye on the negatives as well of course (very few do this). The trouble is that far too many foreign visitors get their information about Thailand from the tabloid press and it seems that much of the Thai press has emulated this very profitable trend.

I'm OK if folks want to read and believe everything in The Star, The Mail, The Sun, The Enquirer and the whatsoevers, but please don't ask me to read and believe the same rubbish, not out of context that is. I much prefer to form my own views on things based on reading several sources and even then to research the subject independently. That way a person can have a view they believe in and support, rather than one that was just momentarily copied from a rag that is only missing perforations every six inches and is masquerading as a newspaper.

Why because nothing has gotten better in the last ten years for them instead things went down hill for foreigners.
So if people feel unwelcome and are treated unfairly on a regular basis yes then they will go elsewhere.

Perhaps The thais also are not broken heart about the farangs packing up their bags.So its a win win situation.

I'm not a big fan of Pattaya but I'm even less of a fan of generalizations and emotional mistruth!

Pattaya has changed enormously in the past ten years, most of it has been for the better, sadly however some aspects have stagnated and the increase in tourist numbers has magnified them.

On the plus points: there's a lot more higher quality hotels, decent upmarket shopping centres, tourist attraction that are geared towards families (rather than single adult males), airport access has been eased as Swampy came online and theme parks have been built to provide alternate entertainment, and so on.

So yes, many many things have changed, you just haven't seen them or noticed them!

I am a positive person but when talking about Thailand or Pattaya i think its more fair to be honest instead of positive.
U say a lot is better because there is swampi...And so what an airport and then?
I am saying the place became much more restricted with complicated visa procedures,etc,however foreigners death rate went up with 54%,,then playing bridge is already crime.
People who spike your drinks and rob your belonging get a slap on their hands.Jet skies mob still there..While countries such as vietnam have a positive vibe with relaxing their real estate ownership laws and their foreigner employee laws again i sadly see the contrary over here.I not see that bright future for us as you try painting it.

How many of the latest foreigners deaths were citizens, second class or otherwise?

How many of the latest foreigners deaths were citizens, second class or otherwise?

They dead already don"t think that it matters anymore..

If Pattaya is so bad why do people leave jackets, helmets and even groceries on their unlocked bike, and return to find them untouched.

When I first got here I did that as everyone said its ok,,, and i thought ok thats pretty cool. Then I got robbed so its not sensible to leave your helmet and stuff on your bike.. stupid I listened to people in the first place as I knew better really.

Not great example my friend,,

Archived