What's the best scam you've come across in Thailand?

Bangkok Barry

20 minutes ago, Thian said:

Wow for all my life i was thinking Tefal was japanese, but that should be Moulinex then? Nevertheless Makita shouldn't sell powertools without groundcables in Thailand, that's unsafe and dangerous, Karcher and Bosch do the same though.

I don't see the issue with the socks, they are just expensive but that isn't a scam in my book.

A scam is when you think to buy something but get something else instead...an inferiour product for example.

Never tried the little cook noodles, always buy Indomee but it costs 1 baht more every year i noticed...no big deal but that's about 7% priceincrease. Will try the little cook...Yes BKK is expensive but the owner of 711(CP) does have a very good feeling for business.

Just expensive. No problem when the taxi driver charges you 1000 more than it should be on your trip to airport then and pulls out his laminated price list.

The socks are a 2.99 + shipping product at best. Fortunately it appears the bait has not been had. The terms used in the description provide the basis for the scam. " massive in Japan where all lasting trends are born" implying to the untrained eye they from JP.

Notice the packaging, blurred to protect information like - made in China.

Moulinex? - Google

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Just expensive. No problem when the taxi driver charges you 1000 more than it should be on your trip to airport then and pulls out his laminated price list.

The socks are a 2.99 + shipping product at best. Fortunately it appears the bait has not been had. The terms used in the description provide the basis for the scam. " massive in Japan where all lasting trends are born" implying to the untrained eye they from JP.

Notice the packaging, blurred to protect information like - made in China.

Moulinex? - Google

The taxidriver has to use his metre, he is scamming if he doesn't use it. That laminated pricelist they have is for....????

I have no problem with claims like "massive in japan"....i do have problems with claims like "made in germany/japan" when it isn't.  Claims like "German quality" or "made with german technology" are legal in my book although very misleading and on the edge.

I've seen plenty of products for sale in Thailand with such texts printed on them. On the other hand even in the big malls they sell tv's, mind you exactly the same tv's , and one is really "made in japan" and the other just a japanese brand made in thailand but also legal.

Those brands (Hitachi for example) should wake up and investigate why there's a demand for the real "made in japan" tv's in BKK. They are ruining their own good name...20 years ago Hitachi was at the same level as Makita (for power tools) but Makita won that race.

When we lived in a 25k condo for some years we had a hotwater boiler in the shower which exploded in my face when showering. It had a big sticker with a german flag on it...They still sell them in BKK so be warned for those.

A common "scam" pertains to the way in which sardines are often sold as mackerel.

Go into any 7-11 or supermarket and you'll see lots of fish cans labelled as mackerel. Buy a few of them and you'll find the contents are invariably sardines.

An exception is the Malaysian brand, Ayam, that also sells fairly good baked beans.

332779_629854.jpg 

5 hours ago, Thian said:

The taxidriver has to use his metre, he is scamming if he doesn't use it. That laminated pricelist they have is for....????

I have no problem with claims like "massive in japan"....i do have problems with claims like "made in germany/japan" when it isn't.  Claims like "German quality" or "made with german technology" are legal in my book although very misleading and on the edge.

I've seen plenty of products for sale in Thailand with such texts printed on them. On the other hand even in the big malls they sell tv's, mind you exactly the same tv's , and one is really "made in japan" and the other just a japanese brand made in thailand but also legal.

Those brands (Hitachi for example) should wake up and investigate why there's a demand for the real "made in japan" tv's in BKK. They are ruining their own good name...20 years ago Hitachi was at the same level as Makita (for power tools) but Makita won that race.

When we lived in a 25k condo for some years we had a hotwater boiler in the shower which exploded in my face when showering. It had a big sticker with a german flag on it...They still sell them in BKK so be warned for those.

Ok so taxi driver uses his metre and takes you on longest route ensuring you pay a double fare? You question it, he just says: traffic a lot.The lamination is for the inexperienced I suspect. Nice little phrases as you pack suitcase in boot. Very hot?- yes First time in Thailand?  

"Trends are born" was the real issue in my eyes. Misleading is a scam in my book.

On 22-9-2016 at 10:37 AM, Rhys said:

Working as a consultant in education....

Study tours,  sign in sign out, whoa.. a challenge....

In to my Benz.. difficult day at the office of education..

You are a first class ass. Good thing you have your Benz covering it. 

On 14/09/2016 at 0:42 AM, Thian said:

There's so much you don't understand, it doesn't surprise me at all.

Those mentioned brandnames stand for qualityproducts, i used to buy them and even throw the receipt away first day since they are so good that i don't expect any problems at all.

But in Thailand those products (especially Tefal) is of such low quality it will be broken within a week. It gives ALL Japanese products a bad name, i don't trust any of them anymore in Thailand. So i bring them from Europe where they sure have the real quality which made them famous.

I call it a scam since they lured me into buying something i would have never bought if i knew what it really was.

It's the same as buying fake gold or fake gems...And especially the Japanese should be ashamed to lower their quality to this level. They are known for their qualityproducts and really disappointed me, i always buy only made in Japan or Germany...

I used to also trust items made in the US till I bought a couple of George Foreman grills, one for my London home and one for my Pattaya room.

Within 18 months the coating had started to wear off on both and being a single fellow I only used them on occasion, mostly eating out or getting take aways. One came from Amazon the other from ASDA, a shopping chain owned by Walmart. They were both made in China, say no more!

Who do you blame, George Foreman the boxer, the Chinks for making them or Amazon and Walmart for selling such shit. If you see 'em being sold in the LOS steer clear cos they won't last week if mine were anything to go by. And I do know how to clean them.

On 22/09/2016 at 4:37 AM, Rhys said:

Working as a consultant in education....

Study tours,  sign in sign out, whoa.. a challenge....

In to my Benz.. difficult day at the office of education..

A consultant in education !!