Best Media Box for KODI?

ExpatOilWorker

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have DTS passthru working successfully with KODI?

It used to work, a year ago, but all I get now is an annoying buzz.

When it does work the sound quality is awesome

My old Minx Neo X7 died, and I now have a Tronsmart M9

which is supposed to record as well, but does not.

I have Beelink i68 on order from AliExpress as that is one where

Wasser offers alternate builds

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2016 at 0:28 PM, worgeordie said:

The MXQ is one of the cheaper Android boxes,I have one and it works OK

streaming with KODI, if you check out the LAZADA web site they are cheaper

than the site you looked at,and you can buy them C.O.D. so you dont pay

until you get it, KODI is easy to install,and the easiest is TVMC variation which

comes installed with more than enough apps to get you going, tvaddons.ag.

The most important thing is to have enough bandwidth for the streaming to

work,also it improves things if you connect box to router with RJ45 cable,

instead of using WiFi.

regards Worgeordie

Also had MXQ 4K box; friend set up Kodi but it didn't work at all; locked up, had to switch off power & reset. "cannot play this video" on all choices, waste of time. Have to connect via wi-fi but very fast @40mbs, yet frequent drop-outs. Wonder if only 1GB RAM is sufficient? 

Cable connection definitely far better, IF you have it available- not in my condo! 

Another issue- Google identified the MXQ as "Non-certified hardware" so refused to access You Tube! Bad experience, sold the box. 

2 hours ago, JIMJFOX said:

Also had MXQ 4K box; friend set up Kodi but it didn't work at all; locked up, had to switch off power & reset. "cannot play this video" on all choices, waste of time. Have to connect via wi-fi but very fast @40mbs, yet frequent drop-outs. Wonder if only 1GB RAM is sufficient? 

Cable connection definitely far better, IF you have it available- not in my condo! 

Another issue- Google identified the MXQ as "Non-certified hardware" so refused to access You Tube! Bad experience, sold the box. 

Sold mine too, but it did work good, now have a Meecool BB2 Pro, 3 GB DDR4 RAM, 16GB storage,

and don't know if much better than MXQ, don't use KODI much,find it to clunky,use Mobdro,Youtube,

but find its easier to use Sumvision mini PC with windows 10, just have all the sites in speed dial 

in Slimjet browser,can find all the movies,series,news,quicker than with KODI.

regards worgeordie

On 2/18/2016 at 0:43 PM, Mooner said:

You want the best ( Minix neo X8H plus) or do you want a good one? If its only for TV something like a Minix Neo X6 which is almost half price. I have used a M8S+ and had no problems.

Lazada have good middle range boxed from about 2000 baht which are decent enough ranging up to 5k for the Minix X8H. I would advise an air mouse as the remotes are awful!

All the boxes you recommend are redundant already for the OP's purpose, since you can't install the latest Kodi version on it, and they are not upgradeable.

WOW.

18 hours ago, JIMJFOX said:

1Gb Ram is sufficient if you would only use the box for IPTV streaming.

When having Kodi installed though you only have about 250Mb of free RAM left, and that is definitely not enough to function properly.

Avoid WIFI for live streams, because first of all you lose a lot of speed over WIFI, and since it is a radio frequency if you lose 1 packet you have a drop out.

That fact that Google doesn't recognize the box indicates that you have a knock off.

Anyway, the MXQ boxes are considered the worst among the media boxes in all aspects.

Edit : And i just notice that you use communal WIFI connection, that mean you share your 40Mb with all other in the buildi

Edited by janclaes47

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

All the boxes you recommend are redundant already for the OP's purpose, since you can't install the latest Kodi version on it, and they are not upgradeable.

WOW.

That's why it's not worth spending a bundle on an android media box,  just get one in the Bht3,000 range and replace with a new box every 12 to 18 months. Still a lot cheaper than True Vision.

11 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

WOW.

Im using a M8S+ with the latest Kodi as i write this.

Have been for a couple of weeks with no problems.

4 minutes ago, Mooner said:

Im using a M8S+ with the latest Kodi as i write this.

Have been for a couple of weeks with no problems.

Yes there are custom firmwares for the M8S+, developed by the Chinese manufacturers, otherwise their boxes would become unsellable.

The custom firmwares are based on the Beta SDK Amlogic released for the S812, and has several issues, which you may not directly notice.

Amlogic discontinued the development of Android 5 firmware for the S812 after the Beta release, and that is also why Minix doesn't release a firmware upgrade for their Neo X8 H plus

S812 doesn't support 4K, however it will say so on your box, but I can link you to credible test reports which prove the opposite.

Other bugs are that HD audio pass through doesn't work and that DRM also doesn't work, and latter will be your biggest issue in the future, as many streams on Kodi will stop working.

11 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes there are custom firmwares for the M8S+, developed by the Chinese manufacturers, otherwise their boxes would become unsellable.

The custom firmwares are based on the Beta SDK Amlogic released for the S812, and has several issues, which you may not directly notice.

Amlogic discontinued the development of Android 5 firmware for the S812 after the Beta release, and that is also why Minix doesn't release a firmware upgrade for their Neo X8 H plus

S812 doesn't support 4K, however it will say so on your box, but I can link you to credible test reports which prove the opposite.

Other bugs are that HD audio pass through doesn't work and that DRM also doesn't work, and latter will be your biggest issue in the future, as many streams on Kodi will stop working.

I only use Kodi for series and movies and never stream live advents so maybe thats why i havent noticed.

Had the box a while now so might treat myself to a upgrade 

A couple of weeks ago I took delivery of a T95R PRO Smart Android Box with 3GB ROM and 32 GB storage - it's based on Amlogic S912 Octa Core and comes with Android Marshmallow 6.0.1. I bought it from Lazada. 

Wanted it to replace my old M8 box which now provides my son with his cartoon and youtube requirements. 

I've got the latest Wookie SPMC build installed and it is flawless, definitely a noticeable streaming improvement. I mostly use it for one of the expat TV services (not Thai) as it has an Australian package which includes all Fox Sports Oz and Fox Footy channels in HD & on demand.

I chose the T95R for its combination of Ram, storage & spec's & am very happy with the choice.

Edited by triplegee

On 5/6/2017 at 4:34 PM, Digitalbanana said:

Does this also allow RTMP Input Video Player Inputstream needed for some TV streaming? I cannot seem to find it when I try??

The forks are Kodi 16.1 forks with SSL enabled, not Kodi 17 Forks.

In Kodi 16.1 RTMP is enabled by default, while In kodi 17.1 it's a hidden setting to discourage the use of 3rd party addons.

5 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

The forks are Kodi 16.1 forks with SSL enabled, not Kodi 17 Forks.

In Kodi 16.1 RTMP is enabled by default, while In kodi 17.1 it's a hidden setting to discourage the use of 3rd party addons.

Now I have to add to my previous comment, the latest Kodi 17 forks are based on Kodi 17.0 and don't have RTMP.

Because in Kodi 17.0 RTMP was not supported any more, it was again supported in 17.1, but disabled by default.

So far I haven't found a way to install RTMP input in Kodi 17.0.

On 5/6/2017 at 8:56 AM, triplegee said:

I mostly use it for one of the expat TV services (not Thai) as it has an Australian package which includes all Fox Sports Oz and Fox Footy channels in HD & on demand.

What addon (or IPTV service) is that?