Chiang Mai: 100 armed police arrest foreigners for not carrying passports

rooster59

Hi everyone, just as an observation regarding carrying passports. I think we all know that irrespective what country you are in at the time, they all require aliens to carry passport identification and to produce it upon demand. I am like many here, carry a laminated copy of the pertinent pages of mine when going anywhere that I could be challenged to produce a passport ID. And yes, I often don't when in home town tho I probably should. I prefer to keep the original in a safe place. Mostly copies seem to be accepted though there can always be a request for the original. Consider how many fake passports may be in the mix at any one time. Telling which is real and which is not can be quite difficult. On that premise should the authorities view the copies we make ourselves? Really hard to decide if legit if its just a laminated fake. I don't see why people need to take this personally as it is a global practice.

I look at in the respect that I am the alien who wishes to be in their country and they are there to protect their citizens. I have to oblige.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand doesn't want any foreigners living there. They only want them to go there on holiday, spend lots of money, then go back to their own countries.

Nonsense. This and similar raids in Pattaya and Bangkok are an attempt to be seen to be doing something about the potential terrorist threat. Over the top maybe, but if it led to the apprehension of an ISIL terrorist it would be considered worth it.

I think most potential terrorists would hold a low profile and not run around enjoying the nightlife until the early hours of the morning, especially in Thailand where nightly pub raids can happen at any time.

In the US now, many acts (perhaps including this recent row with Apple) are being done in the name of national security, when it is anything but. This may be the same. This has nothing to do with national security. Arresting or dragging random tourists down the precinct for not having their passports on them, has to stem from another motivation altogether. It appears, that quite possibly we are seeing the beginning of a wave of anti western sentiment, on the part of the officials. That is the statement I get from all of this, combined with the SWAT raid on the bridge game, being played by a group of seniors recently in Pattaya. If that is not the case, and immediate apology to all foreigners, from the top man, should be forthcoming. And what do you think are the chances of that happening?

They are starting to act in a highhanded, arrogant, power hungry, senseless fashion, toward foreigners. This must stop. If they are serious about maintaining a large ex-pat community, and continuing to attract western tourists, this must stop.

A note to the authorities:

Tourists have too many other options. I know if I were a tourist, and I was one of the people dragged down to the precinct, this would probably be my last trip to Thailand. Think before you act. Think. Use you noggin. It is a God given gift, and is not something to be wasted on ignorant policy. At least make an attempt to demonstrate some long term vision. I realize it makes your heads hurt, but at least try.

".....reduced-size, laminated copy...."

That seems like a bunch of messing around.

I just carry a folded, full-size copy of the photo page, extension of stay stamp, and latest entry stamp, on one sheet of paper.

I want the inspecting official to be able to read it, and the photo to be at least somewhat recognizable.

A laminated copy is more durable. If, for instance, you get a good soaking at Songkran, a paper copy will be somewhat "unrecognisable"

There is no way I am going to start carrying a copy of my passport around rather than the original just because some random stranger on a Thai Visa forum tells me it's OK.

What am I supposed to say to the police as they are locking me in a cell, "But somebody on the internet told me I could carry a copy!" ?

It's not difficult to carry for chrissakes. I've been doing it for the last 21 years while travelling all over the world and any time I leave the house in Thailand. I always have it. My passport, my wallett and my phone. I buy pants with pockets where you can put things. It's not difficult.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

t. My passport, my wallett and my phone. I buy pants with pockets where you can put things. It's not difficult.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

That is a great idea, but, were did you manage to find pants with pockets ?

I ve been looking for some of those for ages, but have yet to find any

It's comon sense and working the odds. If you're going to big c for a bit of shopping it's unlikely the place will go into lock down.

If your headed out on the piss especially an all nighter then take you're passport, make sure your pants have at least a button down flap over the back pocket, or use a money belt, do they make passport belts? something slim that wouldn't even be noticeable under your shirt

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

It's a good idea to keep a (reduced size) photocopy of your passport about your person. Technically the law requires you to carry the original at all times; but in practice a photocopy will do.

You are correct. a photo copy not save you as some found out the need to have the orignal one with them

Many people get a way with the good mood of the officer in fact the officer is violating the law by allowing to check you with the copy. and therefore copy or no copy of passport is in fact the same when you run into the real checks.

Having a copy of your passport is a risk one takes.

And SO is constantly carrying it on you here! Ask someone who KNOWS!! And OTOH, have yet to hear from someone actually jailed for no other reason than not having their actual passport on them (hyperbolic titles given to some news articles notwithstanding). And carrying it on a night out has got to be the mother of all cluelessness.

I guess if you're really bored though, getting a stolen pp replaced will keep you occupied for a couple of days. Do it a second time and I'm sure your funmeter will be pegged. 'Not to mention the added excitement of having a passport with YOUR name on it floating around somewhere in who knows whose criminal hands heing used for who knows what purpose.

Edited by hawker9000

People are leaving and and going to other places.. this is a fact..

Social media is not helping thailand during the last couple of yrs. everything is so expensive there for locals too.. this is not helping. I love thailand and always will but it does make me think about my choices and try out other places.

Yes you are correct, some people are leaving and that is a fact. And it is also a fact that more people are coming than leaving.

Tourism is up to nearly 30million last year for the first time ever. It was ten million in 2000.

Can anyone find any credible figures that repute this. Just because your local beer bar has lost customers doesn't mean the country has a down turn in tourist numbers.

Please don't answer with, "Lek told me not have many bar fine this month", post a link with figures. Top three countries sending tourists here currently are from China, Malaysia and Korea. They don't need to go and rent an Asian girl, because most of them have one already. If sex tourism is down, and other tourism up, then that is a good thing IMO.

kinda an angry keyboarder, arent u?

If u would of glanced at my next post, i said ÿes, they will get more chinese, and of course prob other asian ctrys.

I think its funny when any one quotes or tries to attempt to use credible tourist #'s in thailand.. nothing is evidence based here..

sure, tourist #'s might go up... but in my opinion on what i have seen ,these tourists are bused around like sardines in a can and go to each establishment with $ connections.. nothing trickles down.. if they want this type of tourism, go for it..

What i was stating,, is that that people are leaving and are thinking about other places that are not so unpredictable.. U are right, probably mostly western..People that like freedom and not looking over the shoulder..

I honestly have no idea how sextourism came into this.. this is something u thought up. I think if u are looking for sex tourism.. u can find that anywhere..

Do u go to everyones quotes and try to dissect something out of it that is negative?

It would seen that from most who know Zoe in yellow bar that it's perhaps not a very upstanding type of a establishment ! and maybe one to avoid if you want to stay out of trouble. Therefore it would follow that if you are in law enforcement it might be a place to pay a visit ! Maybe a bit OTT with semi automatics etc but I guess you dont know what they knew or what they might find. Was in Rodeo pub in Lamphun a couple of years ago,after the coup, and the same happened. Full hit of RTP and soldiers and closed the place but wouldn't let anyone leave. Except me who was the only Falang in there and they just smiled at me as I slowly walked out. And a few have said that this happens in other countries. Well yes it does but it's always intelligence led and a show of force and heavy weapons is usually terrorist related. If a drug type bust or daily policing with a lower terrorist alert present then the semi auto carrying Police are not seen. They might be on call or even on standby around the corner. And again it's not usually a practice of carrying such at airports in the UK except when a heightened warning about possible terrorist attacks is possible. Remember the normal everyday policeman in the UK does not and is not trained to carry and use guns.

Edited by Nigeone

It would seen that from most who know Zoe in yellow bar that it's perhaps not a very upstanding type of a establishment ! and maybe one to avoid if you want to stay out of trouble. Therefore it would follow that if you are in law enforcement it might be a place to pay a visit ! Maybe a bit OTT with semi automatics etc but I guess you dont know what they knew or what they might find. Was in Rodeo pub in Lamphun a couple of years ago,after the coup, and the same happened. Full hit of RTP and soldiers and closed the place but wouldn't let anyone leave. Except me who was the only Falang in there and they just smiled at me as I slowly walked out. And a few have said that this happens in other countries. Well yes it does but it's always intelligence led and a show of force and heavy weapons is usually terrorist related. If a drug type bust or daily policing with a lower terrorist alert present then the semi auto carrying Police are not seen. They might be on call or even on standby around the corner. And again it's not usually a practice of carrying such at airports in the UK except when a heightened warning about possible terrorist attacks is possible. Remember the normal everyday policeman in the UK does not and is not trained to carry and use guns.

I agree with u.. I think if u are doing good and avoid the bad places there are no worries, and all of this is overhyped. Also, in Thai and even in Cambodia, being a foreigner I have gotten a pass , with a smile.. We need to look more at the positives and carry on. I just hope that potential tourists dont get caught up in all of the internet bs and social media. Every time u turn on the internet theres some stupid crap to read, that is over done to create a discussion like this one has. The last couple of times I have gone through immigration in Thai they have been very nice to me and helped me out. I think the possible heavy influx of mainland chinese is not stopping anywhere in this whole SEA area and part of the reality. Lets just enjoy the show.

It seems that to some , the penny never drops, that we are not actually liked here.

That sums it all up!! We are not liked and now not even tolerated. Thai attitude rape them of everything and then send them back. Welcome to the Land of Smiles, no wonder they changed it

Thailand doesn't want any foreigners living there. They only want them to go there on holiday, spend lots of money, then go back to their own countries.

Nonsense. This and similar raids in Pattaya and Bangkok are an attempt to be seen to be doing something about the potential terrorist threat. Over the top maybe, but if it led to the apprehension of an ISIL terrorist it would be considered worth it.

I think most potential terrorists would hold a low profile and not run around enjoying the nightlife until the early hours of the morning, especially in Thailand where nightly pub raids can happen at any time.

In the US now, many acts (perhaps including this recent row with Apple) are being done in the name of national security, when it is anything but. This may be the same. This has nothing to do with national security. Arresting or dragging random tourists down the precinct for not having their passports on them, has to stem from another motivation altogether. It appears, that quite possibly we are seeing the beginning of a wave of anti western sentiment, on the part of the officials. That is the statement I get from all of this, combined with the SWAT raid on the bridge game, being played by a group of seniors recently in Pattaya. If that is not the case, and immediate apology to all foreigners, from the top man, should be forthcoming. And what do you think are the chances of that happening?

They are starting to act in a highhanded, arrogant, power hungry, senseless fashion, toward foreigners. This must stop. If they are serious about maintaining a large ex-pat community, and continuing to attract western tourists, this must stop.

A note to the authorities:

Tourists have too many other options. I know if I were a tourist, and I was one of the people dragged down to the precinct, this would probably be my last trip to Thailand. Think before you act. Think. Use you noggin. It is a God given gift, and is not something to be wasted on ignorant policy. At least make an attempt to demonstrate some long term vision. I realize it makes your heads hurt, but at least try.

Quote: It appears, that quite possibly we are seeing the beginning of a wave of anti western sentiment, on the part of the officials. That is the statement I get from all of this, combined with the SWAT raid on the bridge game, being played by a group of seniors recently in Pattaya. If that is not the case, and immediate apology to all foreigners, from the top man, should be forthcoming. And what do you think are the chances of that happening?

Sir you have as they say in Britain, Hit the nail on the head, you have got it right Sir and no apology coming from upstairs

That sums it all up!! We are not liked and now not even tolerated. Thai attitude rape them of everything and then send them back. Welcome to the Land of Smiles, no wonder they changed it

It seems that to some , the penny never drops, that we are not actually liked here.

You are over reacting .

It was just a regular raid on a problem bar .

No one got either "raped" or :"sent back"

Some people just got asked to show their passports

Is this for real, or is it a publicity stunt by TAT to keep foreigners - and their money away - whilst simultaneously acknowledging the poor economic condition here? TIT. Meanwhile pedophiles, burglars, and ya ba dealers roam the streets at random. Welcome to the land of smiles.

They raid a bar-area mostly visited by a bunch of low-budget wannabe hippies. Honestly who cares?

When they start raiding 5-stars hotels, you should start worrying...

You mean when they start harassing the more decent, sober and upright members of society, like retirees, Hon Consuls, etc.. Perhaps enjoying an afternoon Bridge game..

..Ohh hang on..

They raid a bar-area mostly visited by a bunch of low-budget wannabe hippies. Honestly who cares?

You mean when they start harassing the more decent, sober and upright members of society, like retirees, Hon Consuls, etc.. Perhaps enjoying an afternoon Bridge game..

..Ohh hang on..

The Bridge playing raid was an anomaly , the Police probably had a report that there was many people secretly playing cards and gambling and they decided to carry out a raid

What people seem to be trying to ignore.. Is the gradual slide.

In isolation, a raid on Zeo is nothing.., When looked at combined with raids all around the country, with midnight closures, with laughable alcohol advertising restrictions (threatening arrest for beer selfies !! Logos on glasses.. Claiming the potential to arrest a server for suggesting a wine).. And you start to have a pattern. People have a normalcy bias, they also often have investments and plans which they are loath to change. So they will have a vested interest in not perceiving the (potential) change.

Add in news like http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151873 and I think its being announced, in that asian way, very clearly.

Doesnt mean you need to run for the exits, I am sure many people will still put up with much greater difficulty to keep living where they do, many people are inflexible or committed. But certainly seems appropriate to keep an exit plan and a lighter footprint.

..Ohh hang on..

The Bridge playing raid was an anomaly , the Police probably had a report that there was many people secretly playing cards and gambling and they decided to carry out a raid

You can choose to see it as an anomaly.. You can choose to see raids on clubs in isolation.. You can choose to think that closing bars at midnight in Chiang Mai is simply 'the law' and nothing about its enforcement is local.. You can choose to see TM28 and TM30 reporting as just 'an existing law'.. Etc etc etc..

I see it as a pattern of restrictions, which has been going entirely one way, for a couple of years now.

Yea know I have been here for over 25 years now and I have been asked to see my passport by the police only 2 times. I go through many police check points and they never ask for it. But I always carry it with me. And you should too. And don't say you are scared that someone might steal it from you. You should always be aware of where you are and who is around you so that nothing will happen.

I must have missed something here Diehard ( Nice name )

What exactly is the point of travelling to a country where one has to always sit with ones back to a corner wall with an unobstructed 360 degree view of the surrounding approaches, with ones brief case padlocked to one's wrist when none of the neighbouring countries require these actions?????

Because Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, Myanmar, laos don't even come close to the lifestyle thailand offers. There are plenty of threads on these, go read them. I'm here 10 years never pulled a passport, the post above is 25 years for twice.

Where did you get back to the wall from these odds.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Die hard said you ALWAYS have to be aware of where you are and who is around you. Well in the years I lived in Philippines I was pretty relaxed because there the death toll from guns is exactly 66% of Thailand, well below, no worries there, went long distance on a bus in Malaysia recently , not sure where my passport was, did not matter, who cared, But I think of the countries you mention Vietnam felt the safest after the shooting stopped in 1975. No worries there, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar all pleased to see visitors after passing immigration no idea where I kept my passport, didn;t matter. I suspect the difference in those places is that there are simply no Thai police to be found. I ask again why would one want to travel to a country like Thailand which offers cheap girls and expensive cops. You did not mention China, any one ever heard of some one having a problem with carrying passport there, even an old train ticket did the job for me when I lived there.

I think I agree with you - if these other countries had such a good P4P sex scene I might go there but they don't so I wont. Burma was grim, Cambodia tedious and the Philippines dull - really vanilla.

..Ohh hang on..

You can choose to see it as an anomaly.. You can choose to see raids on clubs in isolation.. You can choose to think that closing bars at midnight in Chiang Mai is simply 'the law' and nothing about its enforcement is local.. You can choose to see TM28 and TM30 reporting as just 'an existing law'.. Etc etc etc..

I see it as a pattern of restrictions, which has been going entirely one way, for a couple of years now.

A few years a go Thailand was a free for all anything goes , do anything you like and all but the serious laws were ignored by everyone , pay offs to Police and corruption everywhere which was partly due to successive ineffectual Governments .

Russians and Chinese began taking over tourist areas , buying up businesses.

The Military took over and decided to clean Thailand up .

Clamping down on Visas , corruption and the general lawlessness .

Yes, there is a pattern, Thailand is going from a lawless land to a land with some sort of Governance .

I don't understand the fuss. If the police enforce existing laws be they related to traffic, real estate, business, visa's or whatever, surely that's nothing to get upset about - perhaps better to have got upset that they weren't enforcing those laws in the first place.

You are over reacting .

It was just a regular raid on a problem bar .

No one got either "raped" or :"sent back"

Some people just got asked to show their passports

I don't think I am over reacting at all. I have been here a great many years now and there are those that have been here a lot longer. It has changed dramatically (And so has the World) Thais don't like us and that is a fact. I have lived in Chiang Mai (lovely place) Khon Kaen Udon Thani and a short time in Pattaya and some in Phuket. Its the money factor and all sane Farang knows this, but harassing Tourist and expats is new. Sub machine guns to raid old people playing bridge 100 police officers to check on passports, ho come on, this is not the old welcome to the land of smiles, It could get dangerous. Military running the show can always get dangerous

I don't see why people need to take this personally as it is a global practice.

I look forward to you posting an example - from anywhere on the globe - of authorities holding up clubbers at gun point to check if they have their passports on them.

I don't see why people need to take this personally as it is a global practice.

I look forward to you posting an example - from anywhere on the globe - of authorities holding up clubbers at gun point to check if they have their passports on them.

Nobody was held up at gunpoint except in your imagination, the cops there carry guns just like many other countries, they didn't point them at people and demand their passports, Jesus!