Can you be put in jail for driving an illegal motorcycle?

crosthwaite

In what way is the M/C thought to be illegal ?

No green book ?

No tax/insurance ?

Illegal exhaust ?

Poor, dangerous mechanical condition ?

Stolen ?

Charges/Penalties would depend on the nature of the illegality.

A motorcycle stopped in above condition (excluding the stolen part) in my mother-in-law's village (about 40Km due west of Bangkok) would face a Bt50 donation to the police before they could continue on.

I know this for sure based on two close in-laws I see almost weekly who ride such motorcycles daily and get caught every few months. They figure a Bt50 donation every few months is much cheaper than annual registration, insurance, maintenance, helmet cost, etc. And don't forget, no license.

I would estimate way over half of the motorcycle riders in my MIB's village ride motorcycles that haven't paid annual registration/insurance in many years, the riders have expired licences or never had a license, ride without helmet, motorcycles in poor safety condition, etc. It's all considered normal.

On the safe side I always carry hidden bribe money with me.If your on A stolen motorcycle and get caught you will need to pay big money if they know the motorcycle is stolen.If you bought A legal motorcycle and you can prove it's yours,Being your paperwork isn't

Perfect you will need to pay A fine.I still say A bribe.In certain cases not paying money I could see them taking you to the station

and detaining you.

if theres an issue with the book they can/might take the bike off you which is why you'll see some police riding superbikes that they wouldnt buy even if they had the cash to buy it.

to get jailed for riding an illegal bike would depend on how many people you killed with it when you crashed.

couple days ago i was at the gym and noticed a sweet customized buell outside.... no plates of course..... this is in central pattaya, so im wondering how this guy gets away with riding it.

i wait for awhile and the owner eventually comes along, turns out its a middle aged thai guy, dressed business casual.... i ask him if the police give him a problem for riding a bike without plates/greenbook.... he said "no, i never have problem... when i see police, i run away" 5555..... i take that to mean he does everything in his power to avoid police checkpoints.... but he said hes had it for years and so far hes still got it.

I had a Honda dream with a green book, but the tax hadn't been payed for years, I bought it because I needed cheap transport.

I had a signed copy of ID card from previous owner and a non-official number plate.

I had it a month or two and I got stopped for no helmet, and no license .. And I think the fine was 500B, I explained I just bought it and received a warning to change the bike to my name, or face the music next time.

I just laughed, without any date of sale or central database - I could repeat this routine indefinitely

It depends on what you do to the policeman who stops you, a hard punch in the face should work, if you (sorry your "friend) fancy free food and accommodation for a few years, and then a free flight home afterwards.

Or if instead, you pay him 200baht you will lose all the above benefits.

Trust me I am a beak, I know these things.....