Thai Foreign Ministry clarifies revision of guidelines for foreign media visa

webfact

Foreign Ministry clarifies revision of guidelines for foreign media visa

2101003-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs made clarifications on its announcement dated February 18 regarding revision of guidelines for issuing non-immigration visa Category M (Media Visa) for foreign journalists and correspondents applying to work in Thailand.

The Foreign Ministry stated that the purpose of the revision is to introduce a clear categorization of personnel eligible to apply for media visa in view of the changing nature of media over the years and an increase of new media and online media apply for media visa.

The former guidelines lack a clear scope as to who would constitute a foreign journalist which led to a misuse of media car holders working on unrelated fields, said the ministry.

The ministry defended that the revision of guidelines was not intended to restrict, forbid or limit the work of foreign media as well as foreigners who work in Thailand. It assured that foreign journalists and freelancers employed by news agency legally registered here will not be affected.

For those who are ineligible for media visa, the ministry said that they could apply for another appropriate visa.

The Foreign Ministry said that the revision of guidelines was based on an extensive research of media visa requirements from various nations and on discussions with related foreign correspondents, as well as a meeting with some executive members of the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand to discuss the elements of the revised guidelines.

As for foreign photographers, the ministry would advise them to apply for another category of visa such as non-immigration type “B” (for business and work).

As for freelance photographers working for news agency, the ministry will receive their applications and informed related Thai agencies to issue them media card. Photographers working under news agency registered with Thai or foreign governments as stated in the guidelines will not be affected however, said the ministry.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151775

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-22

FCCT is concerned with new media visa guidelines

fcct-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand has expressed concern that the Foreign Ministry’s revised guidelines for media visas may impede freedom of reporting.

The guidelines formalize more restrictive criteria for the approval of media visas and some long-standing foreign journalists, particularly photographers, have been rejected after many years of reporting from Thailand and this is deeply discouraging, said the FCCT in its statement.

The FCCT said it acknowledged the foreign ministry’s prerogative to determine who is eligible for media visas and welcomed a recent opportunity to share their views on the new guidelines, some of which were accepted, including the grace periods for those who are now expected to make drastic alternative arrangements to their working lives.

However, the FCCT urged the Thai authorities to interpret the guidelines in a way that enables all bona fide journalists to be properly accredited and report freely and fairly.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151781

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-22

The simplest of guidelines - report what we like and we'll let you in / let you stay, report the truth, sorry false reporting or criticism and you are out and won't be allowed back.

Defamation proceedings are more than likely for things we don't like.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

FCCT is concerned with new media visa guidelines

fcct-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand has expressed concern that the Foreign Ministry’s revised guidelines for media visas may impede freedom of reporting.

The guidelines formalize more restrictive criteria for the approval of media visas and some long-standing foreign journalists, particularly photographers, have been rejected after many years of reporting from Thailand and this is deeply discouraging, said the FCCT in its statement.

The FCCT said it acknowledged the foreign ministry’s prerogative to determine who is eligible for media visas and welcomed a recent opportunity to share their views on the new guidelines, some of which were accepted, including the grace periods for those who are now expected to make drastic alternative arrangements to their working lives.

However, the FCCT urged the Thai authorities to interpret the guidelines in a way that enables all bona fide journalists to be properly accredited and report freely and fairly.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151781

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2016-02-22

Freely and fairly....of course. Thai government have solution to guarantee freely and fairly. Simply submit all reports and videos to Thai government and we edit for you to guarantee everything follows our freely and fairly policy. Save you work...and attitude adjustment.

I think the issue for the free lancers is they now must have a current contract with a legitimate media organization in order to get the media visa. This is actually in line with virtually all countries. It sound to me that there may be some FCCT members that did not have current contracts and were refused visas. Same thing happens to free lancers all over the world, has nothing to do with attempts to censor.

TH

So, we have the ministry saying that the rules were drawn up in consultation with the FCCT, and the FCCT saying they are concerned at the new rules which tells us that the consultation was just for show.

Reminds me of my childhood getting onto a Merry go round and laughing. Different Merry go round today still laughing though.

I think the issue for the free lancers is they now must have a current contract with a legitimate media organization in order to get the media visa. This is actually in line with virtually all countries. It sound to me that there may be some FCCT members that did not have current contracts and were refused visas. Same thing happens to free lancers all over the world, has nothing to do with attempts to censor.

TH

You have made me a believer I am really sorry that I thought otherwise. Censorship does not exist here. Now can you stop swinging that watch in front of my eyes I am getting dizzy.

Edited by elgordo38

TH

You have made me a believer I am really sorry that I thought otherwise. Censorship does not exist here. Now can you stop swinging that watch in front of my eyes I am getting dizzy.

I never said there was no censorship in Thailand. I just said I don't think that is case here. Though it may be very likely that some of the impacted free lancers were not junta friendly. My point was that few, if any countries will allow a person to stay in the country long term claiming to be a correspondent or photographer without a contract.

TH