Buddhist scholar warns against establishing national religion

webfact

Buddhist Scholar Warns Against Establishing National Religion
By Pravit Rojanaphruk
Senior Staff Writer

14560357451456035883l.jpg
Hundreds of monks scuffle with soldiers and try to forcibly remove vehicles blocking their way Feb.15 at a Buddhism park west of Bangkok.

BANGKOK — A prominent Buddhist scholar warns that making Buddhism the national religion will do more harm than good and cause religious conflict in Thailand, where many profess other faiths including Islam and Christianity.

At at a time when loud calls are coming from some quarters for Buddhism to be legally enshrined as the official religion of the land, Sulak Sivaraksa predicts any serious consideration to the demand could cause religious turmoil like that experienced in countries such as Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1456035745&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-22

any serious consideration to the demand could cause religious turmoil like that experienced in countries such as Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

Or like in Islamic South Thailand where the buddhist culture and tradition predominates in all government affairs.

When a nation requires its Head of State to be a Buddhist, that is an official recognition of the predominance of Buddhism in Thai affairs. Officially making Buddhism the national religion in a country that is 95% Buddhist is merely a practical matter.

This is more of the behind-the-scenes maneuvering by the string pullers who run the current regime.

Another ploy to push their nationalistic agenda which is nothing more than complete and permanent control of the nation.

Ironically, they couldn't be less nationalistic themselves, what with all the time they spend flitting around Europe in their jets.

As Samuel Johnson once said, "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

any serious consideration to the demand could cause religious turmoil like that experienced in countries such as Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

Or like in Islamic South Thailand where the buddhist culture and tradition predominates in all government affairs.

When a nation requires its Head of State to be a Buddhist, that is an official recognition of the predominance of Buddhism in Thai affairs. Officially making Buddhism the national religion in a country that is 95% Buddhist is merely a practical matter.

So you agree with the idea?

That's OK, When their friends turn up (the Chinese) they will do away with that like they did in Tibet. Buddhism is about following and practising the teachings of the Buddha. Very rarely seen in Thailand, How many know the 5 precepts? the basics for all Buddhist, not many for you never see them practised and for Monks the extra 3 making the 8 percepts. I don't think any of them even know what they are.

Nearly all religions have been established by politicians for their own goals and all are light years away from the original teachings of their namesake

Politics is just a form of control of the masses and religion is just a tool to be used

That's OK, When their friends turn up (the Chinese) they will do away with that like they did in Tibet. Buddhism is about following and practising the teachings of the Buddha. Very rarely seen in Thailand, How many know the 5 precepts? the basics for all Buddhist, not many for you never see them practised and for Monks the extra 3 making the 8 percepts. I don't think any of them even know what they are.

Nearly all religions have been established by politicians for their own goals and all are light years away from the original teachings of their namesake

Politics is just a form of control of the masses and religion is just a tool to be used

Buddhism is alive and well (reasonably so) in China and Tibet. The Dalai Lama is not so welcome but even relations are thawing there!

Buddhism is alive and well (reasonably so) in China and Tibet. The Dalai Lama is not so welcome but even relations are thawing there!

I was a practising monk in India 30 years ago and still hold very firm to the teachings, I disrobed because of something called Samskaras. mental impressions of desires (material) I see little sincere practice in Thailand but it is a good job

I was a practising monk in India 30 years ago and still hold very firm to the teachings, I disrobed because of something called Samskaras. mental impressions of desires (material) I see little sincere practice in Thailand but it is a good job

It's a nice little earner though.

As religions go, Buddhism has to be the LEAST harmful of all the belief systems. It is already the de facto state religion. What's the big deal? They don't flog or behead their adherents for infractions and to my knowledge, no patriarch has ever issued a fatwa. Tempest in a teapot.

As religions go, Buddhism has to be the LEAST harmful of all the belief systems. It is already the de facto state religion. What's the big deal? They don't flog or behead their adherents for infractions and to my knowledge, no patriarch has ever issued a fatwa. Tempest in a teapot.

ehhhh you need to see what is going on in Myanmar, what 'Buddhist' monks were saying in Thailand in the 60s, how the Dali Lamas treated ordinary people in Tibet... the list goes on

All religions can be used to make people do bad things - there is not such thing as the least harmful when it comes to using superstition to dehumanize, abuse and kill other people

Why the need for change? It tells people of other religions that they are second class citizens, which will turn into a recruiting tool for the muslims in the south, while accomplishing what? It's a terrible idea that will only widen rifts.

If Buddhism is not legally enshrined as the official religion of Thailand why can't I or any other foreigner buy a beer on Buddhist Days?

... Same reason cannot buy it 2pm-5pm...some past politician deemed it so and it's apparently blasphemous to challenge that status quo.

English M in BKK posted:

ehhhh you need to see what is going on in Myanmar, what 'Buddhist' monks were saying in Thailand in the 60s, how the Dali Lamas treated ordinary people in Tibet... the list goes on.

All religions can be used to make people do bad things - there is not such thing as the least harmful when it comes to using superstition to dehumanize, abuse and kill other people

As far as I am aware, the items you mention are deviations from Buddhism, rather than doctrinal points. That said, I WOULD be interested in hearing more about what monks were saying in the sixties and how the Dalai Lamas treated ordinary people in Tibet. My knowledge of those subjects is severely lacking. PM me, if necessary. Sounds very interesting. smile.png

Edited by Jools

No matter what the official status the principles are honoured more inthe breach than in observance ( much the same as the hocus- pocus believing, tea-leaf reading, chicken entrail examining, holier-than-thou incense waving shysters leading western religions).

If Buddhism is not legally enshrined as the official religion of Thailand why can't I or any other foreigner buy a beer on Buddhist Days?

Because most Thais are fairweather Buddhists...they are followers when they want to be; and when they do it's usually with the aim of enriching themselves or bringing good luck to themselves. The rest of the time it's "anything goes" ...gambling, alcohol, adultery...you name it. Not much different than most other religions really. I'm happy to be an atheist thumbsup.gif

You clearly have not been following what is going on in Burma.....

English M in BKK posted:

ehhhh you need to see what is going on in Myanmar, what 'Buddhist' monks were saying in Thailand in the 60s, how the Dali Lamas treated ordinary people in Tibet... the list goes on.

As far as I am aware, the items you mention are deviations from Buddhism, rather than doctrinal points. That said, I WOULD be interested in hearing more about what monks were saying in the sixties and how the Dalai Lamas treated ordinary people in Tibet. My knowledge of those subjects is severely lacking. PM me, if necessary. Sounds very interesting. smile.png

Deviations from Buddhism? Or simply different interpretations?

Remember, anything and everything can always be justified in the name of "religion".

Smart monk to affirm that the separation of church and state is the best "middle" road to follow creating the least conflict for a diverse society... State sanctioned and run religion is a really bad idea.... let them squabble about their ideological differences without government intervention or interference....

I don't often drink other than when eating out but I've found that you can't buy alcohol at certain times and on Buddhist days or royal birthdays in places like Tesco, Big C and 7/11 but you can in the local shops run by Thais.

From what I've read on here this happens in places like Bangkok as well. A payment to the ROYAL Thai Police is apparently required.

These small shops will invariably display pictures of the king and queen plus items related to Thai Buddhism. I'm lead to believe this is how Thais show respect to Buddha and the monarchy. Obviously this is beyond my my ability to understand as a foreigner. I have asked questions about this but to no avail.

I did buy a book about Theravada Buddhism some time ago. It was a bit like walking around with a guide book to London then looking round and seeing you're in New York.