Eric 'Winkle' Brown: Celebrated British pilot dies, aged 97

webfact

Eric 'Winkle' Brown: Celebrated British pilot dies, aged 97

LONDON: -- The Royal Navy's most decorated pilot, Capt Eric "Winkle" Brown, has died at the age of 97.

Capt Brown also held the world record for flying the greatest number of different types of aircraft - 487.

During World War Two, Capt Brown, who was born in Leith in 1919, flew fighter aircraft and witnessed the liberation of Bergen Belsen concentration camp.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-02-22

Those WW!! pilots had gonads the size of basket balls.Any fear that they might have had was overcome by their heart and the desire to accomplish their mission and protect others.There will NEVER BE a generation of men and women like that that fraught on both sides of the oceans for the greater good.Not many of them left,so remember what they accomplished " The Impossible".

“I wouldn’t say I felt fear. We used to have a phrase, ‘Kick your tyres, light your fires and the last one off’s a sissy.’ I was not of that school at all. You can’t assume an attitude like that – you have to be serious and, frankly, I was a bit of an academic as a pilot because I was meticulous.

“For a test flight, I would talk it over with the boffin who was going to conduct the test. I was meticulous about talking it through and preparing myself for it. You have to take it seriously.”

E M Brown. (Pilot)