Chiang Mai Drivers

John Chiang Mai

Observations:

Motorbikes, many do not have a working tail light at night.

Many cars/trucks do not have wirking lights.

Many motorbikes/cars/trucks do not understand the concept of the use of turn signals.

Parking rules are not observed.

Markets should be required to have ample parking.

There should be more traffic/parking police presence on all major roads.

Motorbikes, many do not have a working tail light at night. Saves the battery
Many cars/trucks do not have wirking lights. See above/why bother when all round tint on other vehicles obscures them anyway
Many motorbikes/cars/trucks do not understand the concept of the use of turn signals.
Parking rules are not observed. Only along Suthep Road and the moat, under shady trees.
Markets should be required to have ample parking. Also 7-11's and roadside vendors/restaurants.
There should be more traffic/parking police presence on all major roads. That would entail actual training and extra Police vehicles.

Gonzo, I like your last sentence...seems very apt as to traffic topics raised this last month.

I, like many have seen the BiB sitting at traffic lights on their motorcy. A blatant law breaker will ride past and they dont even batter an eyelid. Normal excuse maybe that they are now off duty....strange but I thought being a public servant is a 24hr job. But then this is Thailand and perhaps they have different job specs.

To the OP you will see a lot more strange and wonderous things whilst travelling around the Kingdom (Let alone Chiang Mai). Some will frankly scare the beegeezus out of you other will make you cry with laughter.

And I dare say it you will likely have a few 'close calls' with these manaics on the roads. Always be prepared for the stupid and downright crazy decisions of some road users, especially with the Chinese (Enough has been said about their driving prowness..or lack therof).

Defensive driving is very useful here. Scanning ahead looking for possible problems/danger and pre-empting 'escape' routes has saved my backside many a time. Use of mirrors (constantly) has also helped me avoid being rear ended by a moron in a pickup truck....the red light at the intersection meant nothing to him.

So with all these things going on, I still like to ride my bike around the place. Its easier and quicker than 4 wheels albeit with a greater risk to injury.

Enjoy your time here

Gonzo, I like your last sentence...seems very apt as to traffic topics raised this last month.

I, like many have seen the BiB sitting at traffic lights on their motorcy. A blatant law breaker will ride past and they dont even batter an eyelid. Normal excuse maybe that they are now off duty....strange but I thought being a public servant is a 24hr job. But then this is Thailand and perhaps they have different job specs.

To the OP you will see a lot more strange and wonderous things whilst travelling around the Kingdom (Let alone Chiang Mai). Some will frankly scare the beegeezus out of you other will make you cry with laughter.

And I dare say it you will likely have a few 'close calls' with these manaics on the roads. Always be prepared for the stupid and downright crazy decisions of some road users, especially with the Chinese (Enough has been said about their driving prowness..or lack therof).

Defensive driving is very useful here. Scanning ahead looking for possible problems/danger and pre-empting 'escape' routes has saved my backside many a time. Use of mirrors (constantly) has also helped me avoid being rear ended by a moron in a pickup truck....the red light at the intersection meant nothing to him.

So with all these things going on, I still like to ride my bike around the place. Its easier and quicker than 4 wheels albeit with a greater risk to injury.

Enjoy your time here

..battered eye lids, maybe that explains it all...can't see clearly....sorry CMKiwi only having a joke!

Got stopped at checkpoint near Lanna Golf course again.....this is the 3rd time in a week.

All my paperwork is in order ie Thai drivers licence but this time the gave the bike a once over....still couldnt get me for anything. They didnt appear too happy with that. Word is out to falang tourists to avoid the main road out to Tiger Kingdom(Mae Rim). I think most are using canal rd now in order to avoid this posse.

Their infringement books looked pretty new and unused but pockets were bulging. Must still be some coin in this lark.

A funny observation for me is when I am in my home countries of either United States or Canada I see a lot more accidents, probably 5 to 10 a week. Thailand is rated high for death rates involving accidents, i see in 2014 they were number 2 in the world and with the number of motorbikes that would make sense, certainly harder to survive a motorbike crash then a car and Western countries have a lot less motorbikes

But if you look at the top country for just motor related accidents (death and no death( United States is number one with 1.9million and second place is Germany at a mere 340 000. People are so focused on everything else beside driving in the States.

I am not saying Thai people are good drivers, but what I like to say is Thai Drivers are Good at Driving bad for the most part.

A funny observation for me is when I am in my home countries of either United States or Canada I see a lot more accidents, probably 5 to 10 a week. Thailand is rated high for death rates involving accidents, i see in 2014 they were number 2 in the world and with the number of motorbikes that would make sense, certainly harder to survive a motorbike crash then a car and Western countries have a lot less motorbikes

But if you look at the top country for just motor related accidents (death and no death( United States is number one with 1.9million and second place is Germany at a mere 340 000. People are so focused on everything else beside driving in the States.

I am not saying Thai people are good drivers, but what I like to say is Thai Drivers are Good at Driving bad for the most part.

" the top country for just motor related accidents (death and no death( United States is number one with 1.9million and second place is Germany at a mere 340 000 "

Can you please provide your source to support your astonishing claim? I mean where did you get your information to support this statement?

Edited by midas

The OP's 'observations' of traffic irregularities are commonplace. It's when irregularities turn into full-on irrationalities that the real annoyance, if not sheer terror begins.

The top two suicidal-driving tendencies in my book are: 1) Veering to the right when taking corners. 2) Passing on hills (and corners). Both maneuvers will align the vehicle with oncoming traffic. I literally witness this every single day and have been almost forced off the road more than a few times. I cannot understand this extra-ordinary driving tendency that is so widely practiced.

The defensive tactic is of course to stay left(more so of an option on a motorbike) and slow down when approaching curves and hills. Its important to remember that most roadways are not engineered with a speed limit in mind.

Otherwise,I find driving or rather riding here great entertainment....in spite of it all.

Yes you got me on that one......it was right in my face and didnt see it. The cops dont bat an eyelid......

They are too busy checking farangs have their passports on them when out partying.

Important stuff, don't you know.

Have you a persecution complex.

I walk and have walked by many places where they have bikes pulled over. A good 90% of them are Thai's or other Asians What I can't understand is how some of the riders go right by them with no helmets on and they have many with helmets on stopped.

I am amazed at how the OP could have noticed the lack of lights on bikes and missed the incredible lack of driving skills and parking problems they have.

I think here in Thailand most of them do not get reported.

"I am not saying Thai people are good drivers, but what I like to say is Thai Drivers are Good at Driving bad for the most part."

cheesy.gif good oneclap2.gif

Statistic in US and Europe from where?

Insurance company? When have scratch bumper this accident? In Germany, it is often accident for insurance. In France, or Spain is not, can simply push on the parking. in China is also not accident is likely to in the end of the year one time all the scratches paint if full coverinsurance. different country, different attitude and type of accidents.

In Thailand evry week I see few hard accident.

Look at road. Many lots of fresh schemes accidents on asphalt