British tourist 'fighting for life' after stab attack in San Francisco

webfact

British tourist 'fighting for life' after stab attack in San Francisco
By PA

British national stabbed in the head as he struggled to keep attackers from taking his bag

LONDON: -- A British tourist is fighting for his life after being stabbed in the head by a robber in San Francisco, according to reports.

The 44-year-old was walking with his niece, who was visiting from Southern California, when he was set upon by a man and a woman at around 8.30pm on Friday.

He is said to have been stabbed in the head as he struggled to keep the male attacker from taking his bag which contained his passport, money and mobile phone, local news site SFGate reports.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/12167791/British-tourist-fighting-for-life-after-stab-attack-in-San-Francisco.html

-- The Telegraph 2016-02-22

Sad that times have changed so negaitively.

Before: "If you're going to San Francisco, make sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Now: If you're going to San Francsisco, make sure to wear a weapon in your hand.

Of course would no institution let us know that the crack problem is out of control.

I hope the Brit will have a fully and speedy recovery.

I don't wanna go to San Francisco .... it's to dangerous .....

I'll stay in my village instead !! blink.png

Considering that San Francisco is one of the most visited cities in the US, the odd event is to be expected. It's actually a reasonably safe city.

FYI:

Police are now hunting the man - described as black, muscular in his 30s or 40s, and the woman, also black, and had dreadlocks or braids

I'm not surprised that a Black man and woman committed this violent crime. Overwhelmingly, Blacks are the most violent race in the USA and other nations. Not racist, but an empirical fact.

I'll stay in my village instead !! :blink:

Considering that San Francisco is one of the most visited cities in the US, the odd event is to be expected. It's actually a reasonably safe city.

Bangkok is the most visited city in the world, so what part of Bangkok would the Thai knockers have us believe San Francisco is in. After all, everyone knows that black skinned people live in Bangkok, and throughout Thailand, and that the DNA responsible for this colour is the same as the DNA responsible for violence. BS baffles brains .

FYI:

Police are now hunting the man - described as black, muscular in his 30s or 40s, and the woman, also black, and had dreadlocks or braids

I'm not surprised that a Black man and woman committed this violent crime. Overwhelmingly, Blacks are the most violent race in the USA and other nations. Not racist, but an empirical fact.

I'll stay in my village instead !! :blink:

Bangkok is the most visited city in the world, so what part of Bangkok would the Thai knockers have us believe San Francisco is in. After all, everyone knows that black skinned people live in Bangkok, and throughout Thailand, and that the DNA responsible for this colour is the same as the DNA responsible for violence. BS baffles brains .

SF like any other big city has areas that are not good places to be......As a visitor it's something you never can learn or know about.....

l was in San Francisco in 1993 & loved it.

Never saw any violence or crime.

Guess times have changed.

. Did you race your hire car down those streets and jump it high in the air?

'Twas on my bucket list but alas, didn't make it to San Fran.

These sort of crimes can happen virtually anywhere these days and you don't even need to be it the city.

I don't carry my passport or large amounts of cash when sightseeing. I would turn over what I did have without struggling.

That's the way to do it.

If you must carry everything, you need two kits, one secured close to the body where it remains, the dispensable wallet with nothing of great value. The Bangkok Rolex is always a great offering to be volunteered away.....makes them think you've offered everything lol.

Not worth dying for a few buck or a passport.

San Francisco was my birthplace and home for most of my childhood. I went back there for college but it had changed dramatically and is changing still. When I grew up there were children everywhere, now it is very rare to see children in San Francisco. The police are charged now with protecting the wealthy against the poor. It is a beautiful city destroyed IMO. The fact that the weather was always shitty makes it easier to let go.

These sort of crimes can happen virtually anywhere these days and you don't even need to be it the city.

Was raised in the bay area.....Learned to drive in a manual 3 on a tree......

Guess which streets my Dad took me to earn my chops on hill stops - you guessed it.....Up and down those 90' parking hills - had to park at 90 degrees because the hill would overcome the weight/brakes of any car not parked that way.....

Edited by pgrahmm

I was in San Francisco in 2013, then again last October. The increase in the number of street people in just those two years was starlling. I took a public bus into the city from where I was staying south of the airport and all the way in, every public bench, every park and street corner was populated with obviously homeless people. When I walked along Market St., then the Embarcadero, the panhandling was constant and occasionally more "in my face" than I've experienced in the past.

Los Angeles is looking the same, just more spread out. It seems an impossible situation. Housing costs have gone through the roof, they are a difficult population to deal with and the more services a city provides, the more of them come.

No but l did ride on the trams(street cars).

l didn't know how they worked until l looked.

A brake grabs a steel cable thats always moving.

And releases the cable the applies the brakes when the tram wants to stop.

Can't remember how they turned corners.

Actually the cable brake failed on one of the trams l was on & our tram had to be rescued by a specially converted tow truck. A bit hairy on one of those slopes!.

Great views from the tram.

We also had a delicious seafood meal on Fisherman's Wharf.

Was raised in the bay area.....Learned to drive in a manual 3 on a tree......

Guess which streets my Dad took me to earn my chops on hill stops - you guessed it.....Up and down those 90' parking hills - had to park at 90 degrees because the hill would overcome the weight/brakes of any car not parked that way.....

You've just been upgraded from Legend to God status in my books ! :D

I was in San Francisco in 2013, then again last October. The increase in the number of street people in just those two years was starlling. I took a public bus into the city from where I was staying south of the airport and all the way in, every public bench, every park and street corner was populated with obviously homeless people. When I walked along Market St., then the Embarcadero, the panhandling was constant and occasionally more "in my face" than I've experienced in the past.

Los Angeles is looking the same, just more spread out. It seems an impossible situation. Housing costs have gone through the roof, they are a difficult population to deal with and the more services a city provides, the more of them come.

You are right on at the end of your post. When one state or city provides a lot more and easier welfare than another it will naturally attract people who want it. Space is limited in SF and of course the area is the hub of the tech boom. Housing is expensive. I try to stay away from cities other than visiting because I like the quiet countryside.

Physically and geographically SF is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but it's developing an underbelly that would drive me away.

Cheers.

No but l did ride on the trams(street cars).

l didn't know how they worked until l looked.

A brake grabs a steel cable thats always moving.

And releases the cable the applies the brakes when the tram wants to stop.

Can't remember how they turned corners.

Actually the cable brake failed on one of the trams l was on & our tram had to be rescued by a specially converted tow truck. A bit hairy on one of those slopes!.

Great views from the tram.

We also had a delicious seafood meal on Fisherman's Wharf.

That's why they are called Cable Cars & all that bell clanging has a specific purpose.....Can't be a fatso and stand on the foot rails - the clearances are VERY close....

Street Cars are the green and white ones.....

You are right on at the end of your post. When one state or city provides a lot more and easier welfare than another it will naturally attract people who want it. Space is limited in SF and of course the area is the hub of the tech boom. Housing is expensive. I try to stay away from cities other than visiting because I like the quiet countryside.

Physically and geographically SF is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but it's developing an underbelly that would drive me away.

Cheers.

The moderate temperatures help draw people there also....

Too bad - is/was a jewel of a city.....

After a really long flight, I once jogged from Pier 39, through Chinatown and up to Haight St. (Couldn't do that now without an oxygen tank!).

Apparently people were a bit surprised that I'd jogged through "the Tenderloin", but I had no idea what they were on about. I greeted several people cheerfully, as they did I.

Mind you I don't think crack was such a problem back then.

• 1 month later...

It could happen in any city in the US or the World...scumbags inhabit the earth these days...more frequent killings of tourists...religious pilgrims...and just killing because they can...seems to be the way of this brave new world...

What is the answer you ask? Why, take away all the guns from law abiding citizens...that should do the trick...

I don't carry my passport or large amounts of cash when sightseeing. I would turn over what I did have without struggling.

It is instinct to hold onto what is yours and resist any attempts by people trying to take things awayfrom you, Logic does not come into it. So it is BS to say just hand over everything to a robber.