Help or not to help.

chang14

About a week ago on Pattaya Tai, just past Tukcom, about 11:30pm my partner n I watched a lady on her scooter get spooked by the taxi scooter next to her and she turned into a taxi pickup and bounced along the truck a few times before hitting the road very hard. We stopped but I seen 10 + people run to her aid. So I continued on. My partner was clearly upset being in the same situation before.

When we spoke about it she said we should help. I agreed next time.

A couple nights ago on intersection Pattaya Tai and Chaloem Phrakiat about mid night we watched a lady on a scooter over take a car and run straight into the barricaded area in the middle of the intersection.

My partner jumped out to help. I parked on the side and came to help with about 5 other people. When they asked what happen, the finger was pointed at me, 'Falange, Falang' followed but a few others accusing me of the accident. My partner yelled at them in Thai. They all exchanged word and that was it. When the lady was ok we left....

I explained to my partner I would like to help but if I am by myself I may have these accusations again. She still feels I should help.post-247349-14562337029435_thumb.jpg

Picture for reference of area.

Unfortunately, there is a responsibility that comes with such aid regards of one's good intentions.

One could be legally liable under certain circumstances if what you did was in any way remotely conceived as causing more harm to an injured person than you alleviated.

It is best left to professionals - or Thais who might not not be considered part of the problem as opposed to part of any solution.

Seems heartless to not help but that really is the best advice for foreigners in my opinion.

You answered your own question!

In Pattaya! Not involved! Many people around!

No question: go on, never stop or leave the car!!!!

Educate your wife!

There are more difficult situations:

empty rural road, you watch a serious accident happening/someone injured on the road, no other persons around.

What would you do then?

Edited by KhunBENQ

If people were already helping, I'd drive on. What need is there for you to stop then?

If nobody was there, then (I have a dashcam) I would help. But it's appalling that we actually have to think like this here. Potential beatings, scams by victims, scams by police, prosecutors, courts - it's shameful. In other countries, such as Vietnam, this would not be an issue.

I think the 5 accusers are the reasons one should never stop.

And if in a rural area, where nobody is around, still do not stop. If you do, somehow the blame will be put on you. Remember who you are a "foreigner".

You are paranoid, not all areas are like Pattaya, where's your humanity?

I stopped to help a motorcyclist in Isarn a year ago and wasn't blamed.

If people were already helping, I'd drive on. What need is there for you to stop then?

If nobody was there, then (I have a dashcam) I would help. But it's appalling that we actually have to think like this here. Potential beatings, scams by victims, scams by police, prosecutors, courts - it's shameful. In other countries, such as Vietnam, this would not be an issue.

It's a sad day when you need to purchase a dash cam to protect yourself but that's why I bought one and use it in whatever country I'm driving in. Sometimes set it on the dash of taxis I'm travelling in and it's amazing how safer they drive.

Last year I fell off my bike (Bicycle) on the road around Lake mabrachan, broke my leg in 5 places including compound fractures of the two major bones just above my ankle, arterial blood shooting around 10 inches with every beat of my heart.

Thanks for the lifesaving help of the 7 or 8 Thai people who were passing in coming to my aid, calling the services and stopping the blood flow by applying pressure to the broken artery, the Thai people who then directed the traffic around where I was lying because they did not wish to move me in case I had other serious injuries.

In other words Do I need to spell it out?

if there are enough people helping at an accident then maybe you have justification in passing bye but if the accident has just happened in front of you then you should stop and try to give assistance even if you are only qualified or capable of re directing traffic around the incident.

Do you know the number for emergency services? can you successfully give your location / direction to the location over the phone?

If you can give first aid, please do,

If the accident happens right in front of you, by all means stop and see if the local motorcycle taxi has radioed in help

Last year I fell off my bike (Bicycle) on the road around Lake mabrachan, broke my leg in 5 places including compound fractures of the two major bones just above my ankle, arterial blood shooting around 10 inches with every beat of my heart.

Thanks for the lifesaving help of the 7 or 8 Thai people who were passing in coming to my aid, calling the services and stopping the blood flow by applying pressure to the broken artery, the Thai people who then directed the traffic around where I was lying because they did not wish to move me in case I had other serious injuries.

In other words Do I need to spell it out?

if there are enough people helping at an accident then maybe you have justification in passing bye but if the accident has just happened in front of you then you should stop and try to give assistance even if you are only qualified or capable of re directing traffic around the incident.

Glad your ok and that people stopped but you are comparing apples with oranges... You as a farlang probably wouldn't try to scam another farlang....

Sadly sir the Thais wouldn't think twice about that when a THAI is involved in the accident. Did you read the OP... He stopped and they tried it on...Forget it people move along and protect yourself first.. A good heart here finishes second way to many times...

I think the 5 accusers are the reasons one should never stop.

And if in a rural area, where nobody is around, still do not stop. If you do, somehow the blame will be put on you. Remember who you are a "foreigner".

I hope for you that you NEVER have a accident! Because the difference between life and dead can be only minutes. So, if you drive or take a taxi or bus and get in a accident, I hope for you that the people that are passing didn't read your BS post!

Have a nice and SAVE day.

This is just another urban legend I am afraid. I am pretty sure the OP is a troll. Sounds very scripted. I am sure a foreigner has been taken advantage of at one time or another, but I don't think it is a regular occurrence like many describe.

Every accident I have ever seen, there are TOO many people there helping. If I was ever needed, I am not sure what I would do. I would like to help, but wonder what the end result would be.

This is just another urban legend I am afraid. I am pretty sure the OP is a troll. Sounds very scripted. I am sure a foreigner has been taken advantage of at one time or another, but I don't think it is a regular occurrence like many describe.

Every accident I have ever seen, there are TOO many people there helping. If I was ever needed, I am not sure what I would do. I would like to help, but wonder what the end result would be.

Just for the record let me tell you another experience of mine that some what distorts once again the average POV on this forum

I was in the middle of turning into one of the Sois off the railway road when a maniac on a motor cycle at high speed turned and twisted his way past me missing my car by inches.

I pipped my horn at this lunatic were upon he stuck one of his digits up in my direction.

Unfortunately for him there was a large truck that had just turned into the soi and was blocking the road completely making him have to come to an abrupt stop.

On seeing me approach he obviously thought that I would wish to confront him and got off his bike and started to come over to where I was now parked in a very aggressive manner.

I wasn't too pleased with him either and now had to make a very quick and scary decision.

Did I lock myself in the truck or confront this bullying bastard head on?

On the basis that if I didn't put up a show he would at best kick or damage my prized possession at worst break my window and then in my helpless position batter the life out of me through the window. (Seen it happen to many times before.

So despite the shaking wobbling knees and the pumping heart I ejected out of the truck and started towards this man who was also coming at me in a fast and aggressive manner, as I got near to him I let him have it with a right that would have made Cassius Clay proud.

It was a fluke punch that caught him left jaw full on and he went down for the count like the proverbial sack of potatoes.

for the mockers or dissenters of my actions HE WAS COMING AT ME TO DO SOME PHYSICAL DAMAGE!

From defending my life 5 nano seconds ago I was now faced with a lifeless looking body , the natural fear and worry of the realities of this silly situation started to overwhelm me especially as the group of menacing Thai men over the road started walking towards me and my victim.

My Mrs God bless her was now at my side and apart from previously screaming at me to lock the doors of the car was now at my side ready to defend me.

Anyway the men came over and instead of saying anything bad or critical of my part in all this, said to my Mrs that they had seen what had taken place and the Motor cycle rider had got more than he bargained for and told us to vacate the scene before some one called the BIB

Just doesn't fit in with the Thai Knockers does it but maybe its where you go and visit that you experience some of the bad things that people on here tell us about which always seems to vilify the whole nation instead of those places that would be comparable to some of the worst places to visit in the UK like Soho or Moss side

Edited by n210mp