Getting Started

smutcakes

Dear All,

I have decided that i need a new hobby, and that speaking to work collegues, clients etc it appears that biking is becoming more and more popular. It has always appealed to me, but for one reason or another i have never owned a bike, and my riding has been limited to scooters on holiday etc.

I would like some advice on getting started. I want to buy a good training bike, so with clutch, gears etc which i can learn to ride on for a few years before hopefully progressing to something bigger. What would someone reccomend as a good training bike? Someone mentioned a CBR 250, but he said that was a few years ago and not sure if that was still a good bike for training.

In addition, for doing the motorbike licence, can I just go to one of the Honda training schools to do it, or i need to go to the Government place near On nut the same as vehicle licence?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Any of the small displacement bikes available now are good imo. Personally, I would go with a bike that has a more upright seating position for improved handling, like the Kawasaki Z300 for example. There are so many bikes to choose from...

First thing is to decide what style you like and what you're going to use it for. Also, depending on where you live, it would be wise to get a bike from a nearby dealership. And don't buy anything without book or with incomplete paperwork. You might safe a little money in the beginning, but you'll have loads of headaches later.

Don't compromise.

Good luck!

Here's my advice, and I've been riding and racing road bikes for over 40 years.

The last thing you should be thinking of is which road bike to buy. You don't have a license which implies you have virtually no practical experience of riding. Thailand is somewhat unique - my advice wouldn't apply if you were in the UK or Australia or wherever, but if you get a geared bike first up in Thailand, goodnight nurse.

First, get your license. To do so, buy a cheap second hand scooter - click or similar twist'n go. Practice riding/braking/manoeuvring in an old car park or something for a while. Then go on the BKK roads and familiarise yourself with the intricacies of riding here. You have zero experience - assume every other driver on the road woke up that morning with their sole mission in life of killing you. But.....don't ride like your grandmother - learn that speed is your friend, as well as your enemy. Learn to ride confidently, even semi aggressively.

The bike and it's controls should become second nature to you. You should be able to recognise when to gun it to avoid problems, when/how to brake efficiently, how to recognise potential dramas and make adjustments to keep out of trouble.

The reason I say get a scooter first is because if you go out as a novice with 6 gears and a clutch (which you don't know how to use properly) as well as having to figure out how to cope with the Thai traffic, you're giving yourself a double whammy.

Only then (and let's say 3,000klm of experience) should you consider buying a road bike. By that stage you'll have at least an inkling of how to negotiate the every day dramas and won't have to think about the traffic/road while you're learning how to use the gears and clutch.

Buy a small biked, 250cc max. Do your practise in a private area, attend a riding school. Learn all over again how to ride the bike, use the gears, use the revs, brake and steer/counter steer, blip on downshifts, front brake with your wheel in the air. Once you feel supremely confident with the controls of the bike, venture into traffic. Learn all over again how to ride the bigger bike as it's a little different than a scooter.

Learn/study the tricks of riding slowly in traffic, how to use the rear brake as a speed controller rather than the throttle. Then go and find some quiet roads and practice riding/braking at speed. Any idiot can redline a bike to supersonic speeds, but only a good rider can peel off the speed efficiently and effectively.

Find some quiet bends and practice time and time again how to go around. Learn about apexing, learn about counter steering and body shifting. Learn how to brake with as much weight down low as possible, learn to avoid the grip of death and keep your weight off the bars.

Do that for a few years and then consider a decent sized bike.

Thanks for the comments. I do have a little experience, and have a lot of experience of driving in Thailand, just cars not bikes. I do about 35,000km a year of driving.

Your advice makes sense and is logical, just seems like a long way around to do it properly.

When I first came to Thailand I had never rode a motorcycle before. The first 8 months or so that I was here I used a scooter in order to get used to things such as balance, braking, clutch. Afterwards I was able to ungrade to a CBR250 which I believe is a great starter bike but unfortunately after about 6 months I had outgrown it as my riding had improved dramatically. I have now upgraded to a Kawasaki Ninja 650 which I believe I have also outgrown after my first year owning it. Now thinking about either an 800 or 1000 but the biggest hold back for me at the moment is that most of the main roads in my area are kind of crap and can be very dangerous.

To answer your question I personally think either a Cbr300 or Ninja300 are both perfect starter bikes.

Good luck and good riding.

Edited by Rayk

Many here won't be surprised to hear the I would recommend a Honda Wave 110i, drum brakes, gears but auto clutch, "tread start" and buy a new one at only 35,000 baht and here are my reasons.

Reeeeally easy to ride, big wheels to handle the potholes and handles like a bike, 'cause it is a bike, not a wibbly wobbly scooter. Buy new and you can sell it after a year for almost no loss, with absolutely no issues at all, or as I do, use it around town, shopping, down to 711, etc. If you have a pickup, put it on the back and use it on holidays.

Being so easy to ride and handle, make it a great learner bike, pass your test and then go bigger and then then transition is from bike to bike. I don't know about riding schools here, the "top" Thai driving school my wife went to was crap, so if that is the case with bike riding schools, find a mate to help you instead. I taught my wife to drive prior to her lessons and she now drives better that 99% of the Thais here.

One thing when you go for a bigger bike...learn to do hill starts with the manual clutch. When I upgraded I had to do a hill start over a steep railway line...."what the hell do I do?"

Okay as a driver you have an idea of the mentality here and you will realise you are totally vulnerable and that any , drunk, crackhead, dog, cat, elephant can do anything at any time. So go out with the attitude I have.... DON'T FALL OFF!!

Watch some Asia accident videos and see how they do it here and then don't. Biking a great laugh, if your concentration is 100%.

Finally if you plan to have a few drinks take the 4 wheeled vehicle, taxi, or TukTuk, I have a one drink rule and stick to it religiously.

Edited by AllanB

Many here won't be surprised to hear the I would recommend a Honda Wave 110i, drum brakes, gears but auto clutch, "tread start" and buy a new one at only 35,000 baht and here are my reasons.

Reeeeally easy to ride, big wheels to handle the potholes and handles like a bike, 'cause it is a bike, not a wibbly wobbly scooter. Buy new and you can sell it after a year for almost no loss, with absolutely no issues at all, or as I do, use it around town, shopping, down to 711, etc. If you have a pickup, put it on the back and use it on holidays.

Being so easy to ride and handle, make it a great learner bike, pass your test and then go bigger and then then transition is from bike to bike. I don't know about riding schools here, the "top" Thai driving school my wife went to was crap, so if that is the case with bike riding schools, find a mate to help you instead. I taught my wife to drive prior to her lessons and she now drives better that 99% of the Thais here.

One thing when you go for a bigger bike...learn to do hill starts with the manual clutch. When I upgraded I had to do a hill start over a steep railway line...."what the hell do I do?"

Okay as a driver you have an idea of the mentality here and you will realise you are totally vulnerable and that any , drunk, crackhead, dog, cat, elephant can do anything at any time. So go out with the attitude I have.... DON'T FALL OFF!!

Watch some Asia accident videos and see how they do it here and then don't. Biking a great laugh, if your concentration is 100%.

Finally if you plan to have a few drinks take the 4 wheeled vehicle, taxi, or TukTuk, I have a one drink rule and stick to it religiously.

Noted, i never have a single drop of booze, car or bike.

All the above advice is certainly the recommended best approach to taking up the motorbiking hobby. My experience is not recommended but I mention it because it has worked Ok for me - so far.

I had never riden a bike before but when we bought a new Honda Click for my lady, I decided to get my motorbike license which I did late last year. Getting your license on a scooter is definitely the way to go.

However, somewhat spontaneously I bought a new Honds CBR 150R for myself. I just wanted to ride a "real" bike. I immediatley purchased a basic moto kit - jacket / pants / boots / gloves and of course, full face helmet. I tried to locate some local company to give me basic training but no luck. So after the Honda store delivered my bike to my place, I let it sit there for a few days while I watched YouTube videos non stop to try and understand motorcycle riding fundamentals.

Then early one morning (6:30 am), off I went for my first ride around the block. Success, no finesse but still success. I was able to find a vacant parking lot and every day would practice stop and starts and slow speed riding. Then I would do 3 or 4 circuits around the block. Every night, I would watch more YouTube instructional videos and a few motorcycle crash / fail videos.

After about a month of "training" I began riding on the road, mainly out of town, each morning at about 6:30 AM for about two hours. I have been riding my circuit for almost three months now. I learn something new every day and by riding the same circuit it is possible for me to guage my improvement. I have improved considerably since those first days of just trying to start without stalling.

I have tremendous respect for the skills required to really ride a bike but of everything I've learned the one thing that is an absolute must is 100% focus on riding - let your mind wander and you will pay the price - small or big, but you pay a price.

I love my little CBR 150 basically because I can handle it with no problem, it's quite light, powerful enough for my capabilities and meets all my current needs.

As I said, this is not a recommendation but just how I managed to join the motorbike community all by myself and without any help, except from YouTube. By the way, I'm 71.

Good luck and no matter how you do it, I'm sure you'll be glad you took up your new hobby.

Yep if you have little exp on a bike then maybe honda wave it for a bit. If you feel more confident then yep a 300cc bike. New zed 300s chime in at 172k and MT03 yams (321cc) at 177k. But take a look at the the Benelli 300 too at 139k with free 1 year 1st class insurance. Also quite a few Z300s secondahand on the market at around 120 to 140k, not so many Benellis or MT03s, the latter cos they aint been out that long. Enjoy and luv it.

Cb300f.. My first bike. Ever.

Dealer to my place about 500m of main road was scarey.

Had bike license about 24 hrs.

Road it around the block a few times then hit the traffic.

You learn quick.

Buy all the gear. Pants, jacket, helmet, boots. Gloves.

Get a bike with ABS. Stack the odds in your favor

After you have put in your dues and paid the training price... start to notice the other bikes...look at the riders..can you see yourself on their bike?

Next, consider brands with reliability.. the big three here are good..because of shops and service.

Then of course your budget.. get a new bike... That way you can start your own history.

Also, consider the future riding you might consider...are you going to tour... want to let the wind blow... yo...bigger cc.

most important.. ?Thai wife...they have your left huevo.... so that is the key.

Get out on dry roads... on the pegsthumbsup.gif

Edited by Rhys