How Did This Credit Card Payment Go Through

Am just wondering .......

After some verbal and e-mail information I agreed to buy a Ford Company Service Product (additional two years warranty) and to pay by credit card. Now my wife had been dealing with this as the seller preferred to speak Thai.

The seller phoned and asked for Credit Card details to complete the transaction and my wife gave the seller the following details ONLY...

Credit Card Number

Expiry Date of Card

Name on Card

She was not asked for or gave the CCR number. The seller said I'll go to the bank tomorrow and do the transaction. Shortly after this BB send me a text to say it has been paid.

For the product I had to supply information ...

Copy of my Passport

Copy of Car Blue Book

Copy of Car Service Book Details ... for engine, chassis number and purchase date

Plus completed Application Form

I don't have a problem with the sale ... just the ease with which the Credit Card Payment was taken... I didn't think it would go through without a CCR number.

Have you ever been in a store where they swiped your card and put in the CCR number ?

Never happened to me, only when I purchase online, but that is the merchants requirement, not the credit card issuers rule

And really the only part of your Ford purchase that could be considered "online" was the fact that your wife used the telephone

This was simply a "card not present" transaction. Done all the time with orders via telephone, fax, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_not_present_transaction

Card not present transaction
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A card not present transaction (CNP, MO/TO, Mail Order / Telephone Order, MOTOEC) is a payment card transaction made where the cardholder does not or cannot physically present the card for a merchant's visual examination at the time that an order is given and payment effected, such as for mail-order transactions by mail or fax, or over the telephone or Internet.

Card not present transactions are a major route for credit card fraud, because it is difficult for a merchant to verify that the actual cardholder is indeed authorizing a purchase.

If a fraudulent CNP transaction is reported, the acquiring bank hosting the merchant account that received the money from the fraudulent transaction must make restitution; whereas with a swiped (card present) transaction, the issuer of the card is liable for restitution.[1] Because of the greater risk, some card issuers charge a greater transaction fee to merchants who routinely handle card not present transactions.

Have you ever been in a store where they swiped your card and put in the CCR number ?

Never happened to me, only when I purchase online, but that is the merchants requirement, not the credit card issuers rule

And really the only part of your Ford purchase that could be considered "online" was the fact that your wife used the telephone

There is a CVV/CVC number embedded on the mag stripe of the card that is different thant the CVV/CVC number printed on the plasitc. This ensures that someone can't clone a card and fake a card present transaction by recording the visible information on the card. They would actually have to clone the entire mag stripe to be able to fake a card present transaction.

Interesting ...whenever I have ordered over the phone before...card not present transaction ...I have always been asked for CCR number ...

They can request the security code but it may not a hard requirement (will depend on the merchant's local processing bank), but definitely a best practice.

http://www.mobiletransaction.org/card-not-present-transactions/

Best practices to take CNP payments

When processing a cardholder-not-present transaction, businesses are encouraged to obtain important information from the card owner such as an account number, the cardholder name as it appears on the card (if applicable), the expiration date of the card (month, year) as it appears on the card, the billing address, the shipping address, or the CVV2 code (if applicable).

I do transactions like that from time to time. With only CC number, expiry and name. The address is often another key piece of info asked for

Don't forget also though the vendor at the same time is matching that name to the name of the person who is actually buying and receiving the product / service. In the case of the Ford Service warranty, they already have your name, address, vehicle it applies to etc. Your wife has already probably confirmed other checks as to who she is, what she's buying, maybe even address etc

So Mr.JAS21 has used a credit card in the name of Mr.JAS21 to buy a car service warranty that can only be used on Mr.JAS21's car by Mr.JAS21 and maybe Mrs JAS21.

If you were trying to use a card in a different name you'd run into more issues. If you'd stolen my card for example and tried to buy a Ford Service with that you'd struggle

Yes other companies do ask for more info

Edited by fletchsmile

I do transactions like that from time to time. With only CC number, expiry and name. The address is often another key piece of info asked for

Don't forget also though the vendor at the same time is matching that name to the name of the person who is actually buying and receiving the product / service. In the case of the Ford Service warranty, they already have your name, address, vehicle it applies to etc. Your wife has already probably confirmed other checks as to who she is, what she's buying, maybe even address etc

So Mr.JAS21 has used a credit card in the name of Mr.JAS21 to buy a car service warranty that can only be used on Mr.JAS21's car by Mr.JAS21 and maybe Mrs JAS21.

If you were trying to use a card in a different name you'd run into more issues. If you'd stolen my card for example and tried to buy a Ford Service with that you'd struggle

Okay so CVV info is not required...

Okay so CVV info is not required...

Not essential if other things match.

The other side of me also thinks about do you want to be giving the CVV to a person on the other end of the phone you've never met, remembering the level of corruption and fraud around LOL

Should he decide to make his own record of your details and then use them or pass them to someone else who does they now have all the key details from your card and you've made their job a little bit easier LOL. That extends in particular to online purchases where usually a CVV is asked for...

hi am amit vastav

this is just my thinking

i never used the credit card, but mine friends using the credit card and he says to me there are more helpful features , this is a smart way to payment some things

so i think i also used the this this features, but also some difficulties

thanks

vastav