Bringing Foodstuffs Into Thailand........

libya 115

When returning from overseas into Thailand, I have often (in the past) brought various foodstuffs, that are either unavailable in Thailand or very expensive in Thailand, compared to the U.K.

After recent 'customs' inspection horror stories on the Suvarnabhumi airport forum; I was wondering exactly what are the regulations and customs rulings on this.

It seems foolish to risk a 35,000 baht customs fine for bringing into Thailand: a Box of Teabags, a large bottle of HP sauce and a jar of Branston Pickle.

I know other countries are strict (ie. new Zealand). Does anyone know for sure?

You are not supposed to bring in foodstuff.

However if you are bringing something into the country declare it. You will then be told if there is tax/duty to pay and how much. You can then make the decision to abandon the foods there and then. Usually processed food is better accepted than unprocessed.

The big problem with the cigarette folk is they are not declaring the import, that makes them liable to fines (as determined by the officer of the watch :o ) and duty (as determined by legislation).

I brought 11x 1kg cans of beetroot into LOS last visit for a friend with a bar, passing through Malaysia, the Malaysian customs folk looked at them and said "milk?" I just nodded my head. :D

If you want to see heavy, try bringing food int Australia without declaring it. The quarantine folk are VERY tough on ANY foodstuff not declared. I declare the chocolate I buy in Singapore, it gets me into the shorter "something to declare" line. :D

Sniffer dog starting jumping up on our luggage as I pushed it through the green channel at Heathrow on saturday night and I thought it might be on to something.

Seems it was just welcoming wifie back since she always makes a habit of talking to them..???? :o:D

You are not supposed to bring in foodstuff.

Says who? This is not Australia.

Offhand, I do not know the official rules but I am pretty sure that there is no absolute ban on food items.

---------------

Maestro

good, cause i am bringing a can of chick peas to make humous; a sealed bottle of olive oil, a jar of peanut butter and a jar of chocolate spread for when i need some farang nourishment... all bought at supermarkets and sealed. hope theres no bans on thses things.

also, sealed bags of things like salted pistachios, houmouses and other israeli muchies, but bought from supermarket and sealed, not the open market baggies type. cant imagine there would be a problem with these things as they are factory sealed so no bugs etc?! oh, and one bag of mini individual wrapped halva bars for school kids (bet u guys didnt know there was such a thing? :o ) all for presents to family... not worth much in monetary value, ust flavourful...

bina

israel

Before passengers arrive in Thailand, you will receive a “Passenger Declaration Form (Form No. 211). You must complete the Form and submit it to Customs officials while walking through the Red/Green Channels. Passengers with nothing to declare (no dutiable items, no prohibited/restricted goods) tick þ in the section “Nothing to Declare” of the Form No.211 while those bringing in dutiable items, prohibited/restricted goods or unsure which section to declare tick þ in the section “Goods to Declare” of the Form No. 211.

These declaration forms appear to have dissappeared.......ie.GONE-Kaput -By By

...either that or I keep missing the opportunity to find one and fill it in...... :o

Never had any problems bringing food into Thailand. I once brought several cases of canned goods and other goodies. Latest trip I brought back a lot of spices, some sourdough starter yeast, root beer extract...I have never seen customs here display the slightest interest in stopping the importation of any foodstuffs at all.