Poll says people are worried there may not be enough water for consumption

webfact

Poll says people are worried there may not be enough water for consumption

2802003-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More than half of the people are worried that there may not be enough water for consumption to last through the dry season giving rise to water fight incidence and environmental degradation, according to Suan Dusit Poll.

The poll, at the same time, shows 28.24 percent of the respondents continue to consume as normal believing that they have already used water economically.

Suan Dusit Poll of Suan Dusit University surveyed the opinions of 1,158 people across the country about the drought situation and how they feel about it. The followings are results of the poll.

78.50 percent of the respondents say they follow up weather forecasts and warnings about the drought situation; 75.13 percent say they plan to use water economically; 69.95 percent say they have prepared containers to store water for use in case of water shortage; 62.95 percent say they have advised others to cooperate in preserving the environment and protecting forests; 52.59 percent say they have invested in dredging artesian water;

On water usage, the poll shows 71.76 percent say they have used water sparingly; 28.24 percent say they use as much water as they did because they have used water economically already.

84.72 percent want the government to solve drought problem on long term, 77.98 percent want the government to help farmers affected by drought and 71.24 percent want water management to be fair for all.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/152759

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-29

The people maybe worried, but the Government,not so much,

as this problem was forecast months an months ago,and only

now are the Government are starting to make plans (?),or should

i say think about what could happen,but Songkran,will still go ahead.

regards worgeordie

What is most concerning about this is that true to form the Thai authorities are suggesting "cures" that are un-researched, baseless or merely motivated by populist gain.

the result will not be better water management but damage to the environment.

it won't lead to people getting a better water supply, it will lead to huge government contracts and the usual spin-offs.

Thailand has Loi khratong and Song Khran festivals but still don't seem to get the message to respect their water supplies...dams are not the answer.

The one main water fight incidence over Songkran will waste enough water to float a few battleships.

But that won't be affected!

that is patently incorrect. do some research.

What WOULD help is to see Song Khran turned into a festival of WATER CONSERVATION.

Raise public awareness rather than just have a rampant water hurling battle - which is not what it was in the first place anyway.....like Christmas, it has lost all meaning.

Edited by cumgranosalum

regards worgeordie

They should have cut the farmers of long ago. Water for human consumption is far more important. But they worried too much about their image instead of thinking of the majority of people. In Ayttaya 70% of the water used is used by farmers. So cutting down on them would have helped the normal people.

regards worgeordie

They should have cut the farmers of long ago. Water for human consumption is far more important. But they worried too much about their image instead of thinking of the majority of people. In Ayttaya 70% of the water used is used by farmers. So cutting down on them would have helped the normal people.

What a good idea, destroy the farmers then no food. Who needs food anyway?

regards worgeordie

It's not just farmers! INDUSTRY is a major, if not THE major consumer of water.......but the government keeps quiet about them for some reason.....

Consumption is only pat of the problem anyway. it is management that is the main problem.....poor infrastructure - i.e. pies etc lose 30% or so and poorly designed dams lose to leakage, evaporation and being unable to deliver where it is needed.

Edited by cumgranosalum

regards worgeordie

the most water intensive food crop is rice - Thailand is one of the worlds largest exporters of rice. It's foreign exchange that will suffer.

regards worgeordie

I guess you missed the part where we can import rice and that there is a large stockpile of rice still available. However without drinking water things will get far worse.. Next time think before you comment.

regards worgeordie

They should increase the price of water triple or more so the "normal ?" people will use less water and the in your stupid vision "abnormal" people ( farmers?) have no water for their farming ??

The only one abnormal person is you stupid Dutchman I am ashamed to be a dutchman myself reading idiot comments of a 'fellow' dutchman , lets hope you will not get water for a long time and get dehydrated imbecil !

P.S, I have no water shortage because i have my own well(s) and help the local farmers as well.

regards worgeordie

They should increase the price of water triple or more so the "normal ?" people will use less water and the in your stupid vision "abnormal" people ( farmers?) have no water for their farming ??

The only one abnormal person is you stupid Dutchman I am ashamed to be a dutchman myself reading idiot comments of a 'fellow' dutchman , lets hope you will not get water for a long time and get dehydrated imbecil !

P.S, I have no water shortage because i have my own well(s) and help the local farmers as well.

even wells run dry.

The one main water fight incidence over Songkran will waste enough water to float a few battleships.

What WOULD help is to see Song Khran turned into a festival of WATER CONSERVATION.

Raise public awareness rather than just have a rampant water hurling battle - which is not what it was in the first place anyway.....like Christmas, it has lost all meaning.

If it's incorrect, then share with us the source of your knowledge and then we can weigh up the facts. No use just repeating that Songkran doesn't waste much water when most agree that it does.

regards worgeordie

Well said sir! He does have some strange ideas.

If it's incorrect, then share with us the source of your knowledge and then we can weigh up the facts. No use just repeating that Songkran doesn't waste much water when most agree that it does.

People who ask for citations on a forum either have no argument or are too lazy to look for themselves.

actually if you used a little common sense you could quite easily get an idea of how much water is used at song khran

now I've made my point, if you disagree, do some research and put forward a counter argument - don't be so lazy.

They have to stop water wastage first off, that to me is obvious. The biggest, most blatant waste of water here must be the Songkran festival. Factories and farms are at least producing things but could be forced to cut down.

Seems like absolute madness to me to be highly concerned about lack of water yet allow wastage to happen on a grand scale.

Edited by jesimps

regards worgeordie

you forget to mention that in Ayutthaya they gave flooding yearly and in some instances it's over 3 meters deep. Yet, in all this time not one farmer of gov official thought to use this abundance of rain to store for the future and always oncoming drought that follows

I worked for several years in the Middle east where they had little or no rain. There was never a shortage of water because they built de-salination plants - water taken from the sea - fit to drink. Expensive to build yes - but surely a wise investment for this country.

People who ask for citations on a forum either have no argument or are too lazy to look for themselves.

actually if you used a little common sense you could quite easily get an idea of how much water is used at song khran

now I've made my point, if you disagree, do some research and put forward a counter argument - don't be so lazy.

OK let's think about it. The average person drinks about 5 bottles of water equally to about 2 to 3 liters. The average person during songkran throws or shoots their water pistols which average almost the same amount of water in a bottle maybe 100 or more times during one day. Do this daily and you will easily see that about 500 times more water is wasted during this holiday. So how can this NOT affect the water supply for consumption?

I worked for several years in the Middle east where they had little or no rain. There was never a shortage of water because they built de-salination plants - water taken from the sea - fit to drink. Expensive to build yes - but surely a wise investment for this country.

No - desalination plants are not just expensive to build they are extremely costly to run...oil-rich desert countries can do it...but you overlook one simple fact - Thailand has LOTS of water - it doesn't need to make any more, it needs to MANAGE the water that lands on thew nation. unfortunately, due to a very outdated policy that thinks dams are the solution without any consideration for how why or wherefore the country has an outdated water conservation system and policy.

They have to stop water wastage first off, that to me is obvious. The biggest, most blatant waste of water here must be the Songkran festival. Factories and farms are at least producing things but could be forced to cut down.

Seems like absolute madness to me to be highly concerned about lack of water yet allow wastage to happen on a grand scale.

would you cancel Christmas because of a shortage of turkeys?

part of a post I made earlier....

Having built your desalination plants on the coast haw large will the pipeline network have to be? Bear in mind that it will have to go up the country on both sides and at intervals it will have to spread out sideways for perhaps a hundred or so km. It may have to reach up past CM towards CR which is around 800 to 900 km. In Issan up almost the Nong Khai which is perhaps 700 to 800 km.

How big will the main pipes have to be let alone the branch pipes? How many pumping stations will be needed and how many extra power stations will be needed to run them all?

How long would it take to design, get all the EIAA permits, break ground and actually build the network? Many years I suspect, and the cost would be in the large billions in not trillions of baht. With that much money think how much could be corrupted off.

And why wasn't the question proposed to ask how many of them plan to participate in throwing water during songkran?

The government has spoken Songkran will happen. Its a non starter issue. Quote 71.24 percent want water management to be fair for all. unquote again the government has spoken tourism is sacred cast in stone. I think Cambodia or one of the other adjoining countries that have a similar holiday had the smarts to cancel it. Here on the other hand military thinking has a way of going against the grain. Its just another way of showing who is in charge.

As long as Nestlé is around there will be plenty of water available, at a certain price that is....

You would be amazed how little they pay to pump it out of the ground. China is now raiding the Himalaya's in Tibet to bottle water. Its getting scarce folks. I think that the stats say by 2020 or so we will consumer 40% more of a diminishing resource.