TICKS TICKS

Have given up on this nonsense, i bought the ivermectin tablets.

Will come back in a week with results. The expensive shot and the drops are doing nothing, i keep finding mini ticks and huge(size of my goddamn thumb) everywhere. The dog gets bathed in anti tick shampoo quite often and he's not allowed near street dogs and spends most of his time indoor and my house is sprayed with chemicals.

120b for 5months supply of en-dex 1200 from supercheap

Edited by bearpolar

attachicon.gif005.JPG Since ive lived by the sea.Mr Leo has been tick free,perhaps they dont like salty water.

I'm going to give that a try.

Unfortunately my dogs aren't keen on swimming, but 3 of them splash about happily - so hopefully it should be possible to encourage them into deeper water.

Hope it works for you. Our 2 used to go but did not seem to make much difference - certainly did not kill the ones who were already attached.

I mentioned this in other posts after some others had recommended it -

post-108341-0-58937500-1467101567_thumb.

40 baht a pack in Pattaya. On a 30kg GSD one and a bit packs seems to last about 4-6 weeks but initially they both had very loose stools after ingestion sprinkled on food.

I think it was cooked who also suggested putting tape (we used wide sellotape folded to make it double sided) around where your dogs sleep (if they are enclosed somehow) to capture the migrating ticks. This was a great idea and we used to use this and it certainly helped in knowing when the ticks were about and containing some of them. Have not had to use for the last 15 months or so since the Imax stuff became effective.

attachicon.gif005.JPG Since ive lived by the sea.Mr Leo has been tick free,perhaps they dont like salty water.

I'm going to give that a try.

Unfortunately my dogs aren't keen on swimming, but 3 of them splash about happily - so hopefully it should be possible to encourage them into deeper water.

Hope it works for you. Our 2 used to go but did not seem to make much difference - certainly did not kill the ones who were already attached.

I mentioned this in other posts after some others had recommended it -

attachicon.gifIMax dog.jpg

40 baht a pack in Pattaya. On a 30kg GSD one and a bit packs seems to last about 4-6 weeks but initially they both had very loose stools after ingestion sprinkled on food.

I think it was cooked who also suggested putting tape (we used wide sellotape folded to make it double sided) around where your dogs sleep (if they are enclosed somehow) to capture the migrating ticks. This was a great idea and we used to use this and it certainly helped in knowing when the ticks were about and containing some of them. Have not had to use for the last 15 months or so since the Imax stuff became effective.

I've taken a 'photo of the imax packet you posted, and will have a word with the vet next time I'm in the area.

I'm always worried about the toxicity and possible harm, of chemicals that are ingested. But then again 'back of the neck' products are also taken into the body.

Vet said that i-max and invermectin in 'food' form are way over those given in injections, and can cause serious problems for a few dogs.

I'm not about to take the chance - even though its a low chance sad.png .

But to look on the bright side, I finally managed to buy some suspended dog beds - which provide little opportunity for ticks to nest.

• 3 weeks later...

I've lived here 23 years with many dogs. For 21 of those, ticks were a big problem, and I spent countless hours every week picking ticks off of my dogs and around the house (and my own toes!!). Now there are a few new products on the market that are wonderful.

One you can use to spray around the house and home (don't forget curtains and other high places - ticks can hang out there for up to 4 months without feeding, waiting to drop or crawl down to any animal) . That one is Bayticol by Bayer, but I suspect that the one in the shops is a knockoff. Doesn't matter, it works. I paid around 170 baht for it. (makes 15 litres!) Although the instructions say you can use it on an animal, the vets I know say don't, but if you have a major problem, use it a couple of times a week at first inside and on the lawn, etc. Eventually once a month or less will be enough. I recently went 3 months without finding a single tick anywhere.

The other one is BigBang spray - about 300 baht. Spray the dog sparingly including feet/pad/toes if necessary, but maximum once a week on that area because they can tolerate a bit but the less they lick off the better. Be patient. It takes a couple of days for the ticks to die and dry up. This is the least stressful way to get ticks out of your dogs' feet if like mine, they get super upset with any messing around with their feet. Mouthwash will also kill them, BTW, but BigBang has a longer lasting effect.

USE A FACE MASK when spraying these. Bigbang in particular has very strong fumes. Don't use it near the dogs' snout or mouth

I don't have much of a problem with fleas, but both these seem to kill them as well.

Edited by PMK

I've lived here 23 years with many dogs. For 21 of those, ticks were a big problem, and I spent countless hours every week picking ticks off of my dogs and around the house (and my own toes!!). Now there are a few new products on the market that are wonderful.

One you can use to spray around the house and home (don't forget curtains and other high places - ticks can hang out there for up to 4 months without feeding, waiting to drop or crawl down to any animal) . That one is Bayticol by Bayer, but I suspect that the one in the shops is a knockoff. Doesn't matter, it works. I paid around 170 baht for it. (makes 15 litres!) Although the instructions say you can use it on an animal, the vets I know say don't, but if you have a major problem, use it a couple of times a week at first inside and on the lawn, etc. Eventually once a month or less will be enough. I recently went 3 months without finding a single tick anywhere.

The other one is BigBang spray - about 300 baht. Spray the dog sparingly including feet/pad/toes if necessary, but maximum once a week on that area because they can tolerate a bit but the less they lick off the better. Be patient. It takes a couple of days for the ticks to die and dry up. This is the least stressful way to get ticks out of your dogs' feet if like mine, they get super upset with any messing around with their feet. Mouthwash will also kill them, BTW, but BigBang has a longer lasting effect.

USE A FACE MASK when spraying these. Bigbang in particular has very strong fumes. Don't use it near the dogs' snout or mouth

I don't have much of a problem with fleas, but both these seem to kill them as well.

i think most of us on here have the same problems and are always looking for new products [sAFE ONES].

i am a bit concerned that on one hand you recommend bigbang as a spray for the feet/pads/toes,but on the second hand you warn us to keep the spray away from its snout OR MOUTH. so what happens if the dog licks his feet after spraying.

Like I said, according to vet, they can tolerate some intake, but the less the better. Thus the recommendation not to use on the feet more than once a week. Also inhaling is not the same as ingesting, and yes, they can inhale through the mouth, same as us. For example, think pepper spray!! It's a very unpleasant experience. Eating pepper, not so much. And again, like I said, the fumes are quite strong (and unpleasant). No creature will enjoy the experience of inhaling it.

Why don’t you ask your vet, which is probably where you will end up buying it, - the shops generally don’t stock either, - if you have any doubts.

I have not read all the posts but here are my 2 cents.

Lyme disease does exist in Thailand, the borrelia bacteria is present.

Ticks carry multiple pathogens and not only bacteria, but also francinsella, ehrlichia, babesia, HHV6 etc. Ticks are not called 'natures dirty needle' for nothing.

Testing for a borrelia infection is very unreliable, the ELISA test only checks for a single strain of borrelia burgdorferi and besides that the bacteria has several mechanisms to evade detection by the immune system. IgM is not always positive and often not even present in chronic lyme disease. The western blot is not much better. It's a disease that's diagnosed by clinical meanings and 99% of the doctors do no understand lyme.

When bitten by a tick, best practise is to consult a LLMD and start a 6-weeks course of doxycycline as soon as possible.

Edited by PocoLoco

Like I said, according to vet, they can tolerate some intake, but the less the better. Thus the recommendation not to use on the feet more than once a week. Also inhaling is not the same as ingesting, and yes, they can inhale through the mouth, same as us. For example, think pepper spray!! It's a very unpleasant experience. Eating pepper, not so much. And again, like I said, the fumes are quite strong (and unpleasant). No creature will enjoy the experience of inhaling it.

Why don’t you ask your vet, which is probably where you will end up buying it, - the shops generally don’t stock either, - if you have any doubts.

thanks PMK for your reply,if you read this pet section regular you will know that we [me and wife] have had our fair share of advice from so called vets who are more interested in what they can scam you for than the welfare of our beloved.

be on your guard they are more dangerous than any parasites.

Im happy to say that the toxic spray outside and the ivermectin tabs have worked.

Last week i have taken of maybe 2 ticks, 1 of them seemed to be a big one from an other dog outside

Have not seen a tick on the usual walls for a few days

Couple months for all the baby ticks to die off and we'll have won as long as we keep him away from irresponsible thai owners(easy to see as the ticks he gets from them are an other larger/browner specie)

His second dose of ivermectin was given 3weeks instead of 4 after the first one and he was not sick or tired looking at all after that one.

This works for me.
I go for a Permethrin / Cypermetherin mix and spray that around the garden and house (you can find them both relatively easily) **metherins are toxic for cats

Then Frontline once a month on the dogs, never see a tick unless I forget the frontline.
This year at the start of the season I saw a few try to make their way in, did the above and boom, 3 days haven't seen one in 2 months.

I once owned a pest control company and this was a mix that we would use in homes, completely safe unless you're catwoman...

I see that BigC now has an insecticide combining some " 'thrins" not contained in Chaindrite, it also smells less disagreeable. Anyway, eggs: how do you know the eggs have been neutralised, as they can take up to three years to hatch....? Eggs of this family of pests (spider family if you like) are notorious for producing eggs that are difficult to attack.

As I understand it, the 'thrins don't kill the tick, the US military use it to repel ticks, I don't know if they are supposed to kill ticks also.

• 4 weeks later...