True Huawai + Wifi - Domestic

A_Traveller

Did some searching but the answers I found didn't seem to relate or did not appear to be current.

So, recommendations please for set-up to provide access to a domestic True ADSL line and add a WiFi enabler to provide service to a laptop, in tandem with the existing {to be replaced today} desktop.

Since I have asked questions here before, thought I might just say thanks for all the input, and that both the laptop and the new desktop are Dual Core Intel systems as advised herein.

Regards & TIA

Traveller you have two options, buy a new all-in-one ADSL/router which has Wi-Fi or you can buy a Wi-Fi Access point.

You will see that the price difference between a Wi-Fi-All-in-one ADSl router is not that much different then a Wi-Fi Access point. The Wi-Fi All in-one ADSL router is of course much easier to install. Second you could try to sell the Huawei MT-800 which probably make the All-in-One solution the cheapest.

Traveller you have two options, buy a new all-in-one ADSL/router which has Wi-Fi or you can buy a Wi-Fi Access point.

You will see that the price difference between a Wi-Fi-All-in-one ADSl router is not that much different then a Wi-Fi Access point. The Wi-Fi All in-one ADSL router is of course much easier to install. Second you could try to sell the Huawei MT-800 which probably make the All-in-One solution the cheapest.

Thanks for the input, just as an aside, the 'free' modem still belongs to True until the end of the contract when I think it costs me 1 baht, so I'll not sell 'their' kit, after all you are a believer in legal soft/hard ware are you not. :D

Any equipment recommendations which 'do what they say on the box' without requiring aeons with the manual :o

Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

Yes I'm a believer of legal software, if everybody or at least most used legal software. Microsoft did not hold this dominant marketing position.

Anyway, you probably in a similar situation as me, I also have some old routers (Huawei Mt-800 and Billion 5201S).

I also wanted to be able to connect wireless, a Wi-Fi access point cost almost the same so I bought a complete new device. With in mind that I have the True router as backup if something go's wrong

Since your exisitng ADSL Modem/Router (Huawei MT800) has just a single ethernet port (which you'll use to link to the new router/WiFi AP), you'll need to find a device that has both a 4-port Router (one port of which you'll be using for your desktop) and a WiFi AP. The Linksys WRT54G is in this category.

Or you could remove your existing ADSL Modem/Router and purchase a new all-in-one device, which serves as an ADSL Modem, 4-port router and WiFi AP. Personally I think this is the best solution, if only as it requires a single AC outlet. I can recommend the Linksys WAG54G in this category.

Linksys, D-Link, Zyxel, NetGear, SMC all offer solutions that are widely available here.

In my experience, The Linksys WRT54G has poor range compared to other routers, unless you upgrade the firmware to the open-source firmware available which allows you to increase the power transmit setting. The Linksys also runs very hot compared to other routers, not that this is necessarily bad, but is usual compared to other models. Anything that gets hot has the capability to develop dry joints or other component failures.

I would recommend the 3Com OfficeConnect 54Mbps wireless router which comes with a four port hub. It is easy to setup, has great range and with the reliability of the 3Com brand, you can't go wrong. The model number is 3CRWER100-75 which also features extended range technology plus outdoor coverage of up to two times the distance of last generation routers. I have tested this extensively and the 3Com range is unbeatable compared to the Linksys, Netgear and US Robotics routers I have used.

The 3Com router retails for about 3500 baht in Thailand.