Lactose intollerant

stubuzz

Similar for me. Sorry that I don't know if something like "Lactaid" is available here or not. My approach has been simply to stop eating milk-based foods. Good-bye my beloved Haagen-Dazs Vanilla.

As we get older, it's not uncommon for us to have to cut down on any number of things. If this is the case the simple remedy is partial avoidance.

Also, we can wrongly attribute symptoms to a particular food,eg, I was convinced I was lactose intolerant until I realised it was the beer.

If you have mild ibs (just a sensitive stomach) then just about anything can trigger symptoms, that does not mean you are intolerant.

Review your diet in total. It might just be you are overloading your digestive system and this is causing irritation. Consider just eating less, and puuting extra hours between meals sometimes. Mini fasting is particularly useful imo.

One of my 2 year old twin grandchildren in the UK turned out to be lactose intolerant. No family history. My daughter was breast feeding but that passed on lactose, she stopped eating all foods containing milk products. Now she is challenge feeding her son so that his allergy doesn't present toxic shock if he accidentally ingests some milk product. Finding milk products free food is far harder to do than you think, as milk products are often not listed on the label or are given another name. In Thailand Lactosoy Blue contains milk ( not mentioned on label ), Lactosoy Red does not. Some pastas have milk, some medicines may have lecithin. If you are not sure about a product try delving deep on line into the products manufacture. Shame about the ice cream. If you like yoghurt you can always make your own from coconut milk or even 100% soy milk, I have successfully made here ( Thailand ).

Lactose is what the lactobacilli in yogurt eat, so naturally there is much less lactose (but still some) in yogurt than in milk. The reduction in lactose (as a result of the action of these bacteria) is what differentiates yogurt from milk and why it tastes a bit sour. (lactose is a type of sugar).

most lactose intolerant people do fine with yogurt for this reason, but as there is still some lactose present, it does depend on how severe the intolerance is.

Greek yogurt is basically yogurt that has been spun to remove moisture making it thicker. A lot of lactose is removed with that moisture, so Greek yogurt is usually better than regular yogurt as far as lactose content goes.

Hubby and I have found as we've gotten older we do much better with plain, Yolinda brand yogurt on our morning cereal (with fresh fruit on top) rather than using milk. That brand of yogurt is Thai produced, low fat and has live active lactic acid bacteria acid culture. It's pretty "tangy" plain and really needs to be blended with fresh fruit to be tasty. I've found it works well in many recipes that call for sour creme, too.

Hubby really can't tolerate milk anymore and more than a little school-kids box doesn't sit too well with me, either.

^^

One generous spoonful of Yolinda yogurt stirred into a jug of pasteurized milk, results in a jug of Yolinda 24hrs later.

Just leave it out on top of the fridge overnight ..... covered with a cloth.

To those who are lactose intolerant,

Have you tried Raw milk?, apparently it's far more digestible before they pasteurize it.

Available in plastic bags (130bht/5l) from the dairy opposite CM zoo (tastes better too).

26bht/l ....... a good saving in money ...... but goes off quickly.

I freeze it in 1l bottles until I need it, lasts forever in the freezer.

(PS. Don't try to make yogurt with Raw milk)

There's lactose in the milk whether or not it's pasteurized, so I'm not sure why drinking it raw would matter.

And now in totally unrelated news: Lawmakers in West Virginia Celebrate Legalization of Raw Milk By Drinking It and Getting Sick

I wouldn't consume any raw animal product, be it milk or flesh. Life is risky enough as it is. If you want probiotics that badly (the health benefits of which are inconclusive at best), have some pasteurized yogurt that has been supplemented with them.

• 10 months later...

90% of all Asians are supposed to be Lactose intolerant. Most of them without knowing it.

The digestive enzyme Lactase can be bought in capsules (usually in a mix with other digestive enzymes) and will help you to digest Lactose, if you cannot totally avoid Lactose in your diet.  I order mine from iherb.com.

On 3/3/2016 at 5:35 PM, mommysboy said:

As we get older, it's not uncommon for us to have to cut down on any number of things. If this is the case the simple remedy is partial avoidance.

Also, we can wrongly attribute symptoms to a particular food,eg, I was convinced I was lactose intolerant until I realised it was the beer.

If you have mild ibs (just a sensitive stomach) then just about anything can trigger symptoms, that does not mean you are intolerant.

Review your diet in total. It might just be you are overloading your digestive system and this is causing irritation. Consider just eating less, and puuting extra hours between meals sometimes. Mini fasting is particularly useful imo.

The microbiome of our gut deteriorates as we age. Since I have started drinking kefir every day, since age 52, my digestion has improved to the point where I can tolerate most anything, and almost never have digestive disturbances. To put this into perspective, even in my 20's I used to suffer from indigestion. Now in my late 50's I never have a problem.

My wife has also cured food intolerances through daily consumption of kefir. It even cured her travel sickness.

I would not be surprised if it helps with lactose intolerance. 

• 1 month later...
On 20/01/2017 at 3:38 PM, tropo said:

The microbiome of our gut deteriorates as we age. Since I have started drinking kefir every day, since age 52, my digestion has improved to the point where I can tolerate most anything, and almost never have digestive disturbances. To put this into perspective, even in my 20's I used to suffer from indigestion. Now in my late 50's I never have a problem.

My wife has also cured food intolerances through daily consumption of kefir. It even cured her travel sickness.

I would not be surprised if it helps with lactose intolerance. 

I would say that the over-arching themes in any diet are moderation and variety- no food is so bad that you can't eat a bit, and no food so good that you can't have too much.

In general, I think all other factors are subordinate in a person of fair health.

What most people call a food intolerance is simply eating too much of it, too often.

Kefir may be good.  It looks to have probiotic value, as well as many nutrients. The question remains whether it has enough to promote colonisation in the gut.

In a patient with severe gut imbalance, fecal transplant appears to be the only cure all.  Kefir could be useful in moderation, but not a cure all, and that is self evident if you have to keep consuming it.

Sadly, with food, it is more a case of reducing or eliminating some cherished things: alcohol, caffeine, spices to name a few. And I have found a parochial diet, ie, the one you grew up with, the nearest thing to a cure all.  That may mean for some that egg and chips is a heck of a lot better than kefir.

Archived