Totally confused on Retirement visa!

if applying in England is more or less the same s applying in Canada......then here is what I went through... They gave me a choice....

I. Show a bank balance with $25,000.00 OR...

2. Prove a monthly income of no less than $2,100.00....OR...

3. A combination of bank account and monthly income that adds up to no less than $25,000.00 per year.

Any ONE of those requirements being met would be your first hurdle to the Thai O-A Visa. Then you follow the other instructions. I took care of it all in my home town, and then did a visit for a few days in Ottawa, Canada while the Royal Thai Embassy checked all my documentation and then they returned my passport to me with my Royal Thai O-A Visa covering one page. The Thai staff at the Embassy were very friendly and helpful .

The following is for Canadian residents.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category "O-A" for Temporary Residents
1. Requirement
  • Applicant has to be 50 years of age and above (on date of submitting an application).
  • Is not a person prohibited from entering the Kingdom.
  • Has no criminal record against security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
  • Has nationality of or residency in the country where his/her application is submitted.
  • Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535).

Note: Applicant is not permitted to engage in any occupation or employment.

2. Documents Required
  • The validity of your passport must not less than 18 months. (Damaged, invalid or altered passports will not be accepted).
  • Three copies of a Visa Application Form with 3 photos (2"X2") passport size and Additional Visa Application Form for Visa O-A. All application forms must be filled out completely with applicant's signature
  • A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than $ 25,000 or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of no less than $ 2,100 or a deposit account plus a monthly income of no less than $25,000 a year and must be accompanied with a letter of guarantee from the bank stating the monthly income from a source such as a pension or other sources and the letter from the bank must be certified by a Notary Public.
  • Verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued from the country of his/her nationality or residence (the verification shall be valid for no more than 3 months). The criminal record must be certified by a Notary Public.
  • A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for no more than 3 months). Medical Certificate Form. The medical certificate must be certified by a Notary Public.
  • You must also include a photocopy of the booked confirmation flights such as a travel itinerary or airline ticket when applying for the Visa "O-A".
  • In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the Non-Immigrant visa "O-A", their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence. (The spouse will be considered for the Visa for Temporary Resident under the "O" code). The marriage certificate must be certified by a Notary Public.

Note: Letter from the bank, medical certificate and police clearance certificate must be notarized individually.

3. Visa Fee

The visa fee for the Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" is CAD 200.00 (multiple entries).

How to make visa fee payments:

• If application is submitted by mail or in person, please pay by money order only payable to Royal Thai Embassy. Personal cheques, company cheques, debit cards and credit cards are not accepted.

A prepaid express post envelope must be included for the return of the passport.

Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application without having to provide reason.

4. Recommendations for the Applicant while Staying in the Kingdom
  • When completing the stay of 90 days in the Kingdom, the alien shall report to the competent authority and repeat it every 90 days with the Immigration Officer in the alien's residence area, or report to the police station in the alien's residence are if there is no Immigration control there.
  • (In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows:

The Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp as well as self-addressed envelope with postage affixed, shall be forwarded, by 7 days before the due date, by acknowledgement of receipt mail to the Immigration Bureau, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120.

In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.)
  • At the end of the one-year stay, the alien who wishes to extend his/her stay shall submit a request for the extended period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, of the amount of no less than $800,000 Baht, or an income certificate plus deposit account in the total amount of no less than $800,000 Baht a year(equivalent CAD $25,000)
  • If the alien's spouse wishes to extend his/her stay as well, the marriage certificate shall be produced.
5. Recommendations for Foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay) While Staying in the Kingdom

Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration Office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void".

If I were you, I would carefully study the Royal Thai Embassy UK website.... I just took a look, and all the information is there, similar to the Royal Thai Embassy, Canada website that I used..

Just follow all the instructions... and double and triple check everything. And then if I were you, I would take it all to the Royal Thai Embassy in London. If you don't live there, make it a few days holiday like I did in Ottawa. I spent a few days visiting museums and stayed in a hostel. The process took three days if I remember. The Thai staff at the Royal Thai Embassy in Ottawa, Canada were very friendly and helpful.

From the Royal Thai Embassy, London, England

There are companies working out of Thailand that offer to do all the work for you.. for a lot of money... but I found it simple do do myself and not pay someone else...

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

ELIGIBILITY

• Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
  • Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
  • Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence
  • Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
  • Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

1. Validity of passport at least 1 year
  2. Three (3) visa application forms and 3 passport size recent photographs
  3. Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) Form
  4. Copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum) or a deposti acocount plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht.
  5. In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  6. Criminal Record check from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  7. Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  8. In case wishing to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

Note: Documents 4 to 8 inclusive must be certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors

CHANNELS TO SUBMIT VISA APPLICATION AND FEE

1. Applicants can submit their applications at the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Consulates in UK and
Ireland. Or

2. The Office of the Immigration Bureau, Section 1, Sub-Division 1, Immigration Bureau,
Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 0066-22873101-10 Ext.2236

3. The following applicants may also apply for this type of visa in the country if:

1. Applicants undergoing health rehabilitation program in hospitals or health centers. These organizations will apply on behalf of the individual applicant.
2. Applicants who are spouse / parents / children of applicants above.
3. Applicants to whom the agencies or organizations approved by the Immigration Bureau have applied for visa on behalf. The above mentioned applicants must have qualifications stated in 1-2.

4. Once the documents are matched with requirements, the consular missions shall issue the Non-Immigrant visa “O-A” (Long Stay)

VISA FEE

Please visit Visa Fees page

ONCE ARRIVED IN THE KINGDOM

• Upon arrival in Thailand, the actual length of stay (1 year) will be determined and granted at Immigration check - point.
  • Once having been in the Kingdom up to 90 days, applicant must report himself / herself to the authorities concerned and every 90 days, also report can be made by post by fill up the form TM.47 which can be obtained from immigration office.
  • Foreigner who wishes to extend his or her stay shall submit a request for extension of stay at the Office of Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000 .- Baht (approximately GBP14,000.00) or an income certificate plus a deposite account showing an anount of not less than 800,000.- Baht. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretation of the immigration officer to the foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirments.
  • In case of spouse wishing to extend of stay, marriage certificate is required.

Basically:

(1) Get a Non-Immigrant O-A visa from the embassy. This is valid either for 3 months or for 1 year (usually the former).

(2) Once in Thailand, open the bank account and make the requisite deposit in the given timeframe, and apply for a visa extension based on retirement at the Immgiration office close to where you live. This will be valid for a year, but if you need to travel outside of Thailand and go back, you need to obtain a re-entry permit (some people like to do this at the same time as the extension). You can get the new retirement extensions every year, as long as you qualify.

O/A visas are always valid for one year and visas are never extended.

Please refrain from posting misleading nonsense.

If you do not know then do not post.

The terminology nazis are at it again... and very aggressive (and rude) about it too...

... are you saying that after the original non-O visa expires, and you're on yearly extension based on retirement, you no longer have a visa? So if someone, after the first year or so asks you what visa you have, what do you say? Sorry, I don't have a visa, it expired last year?

Yet, every entry stamp I have states clearly, on the stamp, that I have a: Visa Class: Non-RE... and I have dozens of stamps to prove that.

I THINK the biggest difference would be that extension of stay can evaporate, such as if you become unemployed- you have 24 hours to leave the country ( but can apply for extension- wonder if they turn that down ever, what a horror that would be.)

If you are on your initial visa, then you have until the " permission to stay " date which could be up to 90 days future, depending on visa.

And to go really OT, sorry- Curious as to how easy it for immigration to cancel a visa as opposed to a extension should they wish.

It should be possible to get the retirement visa in UK if you can prove that you have an income of 65000 Baht a month (from business, pension etc). i am not not sure how does it work if you want to get the visa based on 800 000 in the bank in UK.

But there is no problem getting the visa in Thailand. Just get non immigrant O visa which is for 3 months from the Thai Embassy in UK. Once in Thailand with you visa you can open a bank account put the money for 2 months, then get a letter from the bank go to immigration and all done you get the retirement visa.

But I advise you to get a letter from police in UK to show that you have no criminal charges against you. You never know the new government may want it for your retirement visa. The new government say Bad guys out and Good guys in.

Nope. Many people get a 90 day O visa in Thailand called a conversion (from tourist visa or 30 day stamp) as the first step before the first retirement extension also in Thailand.

That way no O-A ever needed nor is any O visa obtained outside Thailand. Very popular way to start.

I respect your very significant experience on this forum and will not argue with you on this point, but ask that you clarify something for me. I live in Udon Thani and originally had a 3 entry Tourist Visa to Thailand. I tried to get it converted to a Non O visa with a retirement extension in Pattaya/Jomtien. They said I could convert, but I had to do it in Udon Thani. Immigration in Udon Thani said NO- I must go to Laos and get a Non O visa first then when it is almost expired, come to immigration and get a retirement extension.

It appears that many other posters are correct in that different immigration offices have their own interpretation of the rules. Udon Thani would not let me convert from tourist visa to non O.

Also agree with you and others, Best to be helpful, nice and supportive and refrain from cutting and hurtful comments.

Thanks for your input.

430xc

Nope. Many people get a 90 day O visa in Thailand called a conversion (from tourist visa or 30 day stamp) as the first step before the first retirement extension also in Thailand.

That way no O-A ever needed nor is any O visa obtained outside Thailand. Very popular way to start.

Great answer, Jingthing!

That is how I got my retirement extention with a visa exempt stamp and needing more

than 15 days remaining on the visa exemp.

Most of the other replies are just complicating the process!

You can do either way but better to do here, Just get a single or double entry visa in the UK then do the Non im O here then the extension of stay. You don't need the 800k you can get a income certificate from the British embassy or you can have a combination of both. Its much cheaper to do here and you don't need the medical, or police clearance. Good luck.

I respect your very significant experience on this forum and will not argue with you on this point, but ask that you clarify something for me. I live in Udon Thani and originally had a 3 entry Tourist Visa to Thailand. I tried to get it converted to a Non O visa with a retirement extension in Pattaya/Jomtien. They said I could convert, but I had to do it in Udon Thani. Immigration in Udon Thani said NO- I must go to Laos and get a Non O visa first then when it is almost expired, come to immigration and get a retirement extension.

It appears that many other posters are correct in that different immigration offices have their own interpretation of the rules. Udon Thani would not let me convert from tourist visa to non O.

Also agree with you and others, Best to be helpful, nice and supportive and refrain from cutting and hurtful comments.

Thanks for your input.

430xc

Not all immigration offices are allowed do the conversion to a non immigrant visa. As far as I know there are no offices here in Isann that can do them and it has been that way for some time now.

Even Jomtien cannot approve the application for the visa. They send it to Bangkok for approval.

Having read through the comments I'm sure you are thoroughly confused and appalled at the attitude of some know-it-all posters.

I was issued my Non-Immigrant Visa category "O" with multiple entry in 2009. I got it from the Thai consulate in Hull in the UK. I got it via mail. Apparently Hull is now closed but I hear Cardiff is still open if that is more convenient for you. Otherwise you will perhaps need a trip to the Thai embassy.

When I got here I opened a bank account and put money into it. Some banks eg SCB would not allow me to open and account and told me I needed a work permit to open an account. Anther bank, Kasikorn, opened an account without question. I went to immigration in Korat, the officer turned me down….he said it was 'very difficult' meaning he wanted money. Instead I went with partner to Bangkok immigration, they accepted my application with no fuss, but asked for more information than was listed on the website. They asked for the house book of where I was staying and the ID card of the person that owned the house (my partner).

They didn;t look at the medical nor the police report and didn't take copies…they only seemed interested in the money in the bank and the house book.

Not sure if I missed the suggestions?

I think somewhere you stated you were only 59?, you not plan to work etc.. in Thailand therefore I assume you are retired and getting a pension?

If your pension receive is over 800,000 baht per year, you do not need a bank account. You can provide a notorized document from the U.K. Embassy (at cost) each year when you apply. You can also do a combination to meet the requirement, for example, 400,000 in Bank and 400,000 in income.

I do not know about C.M. but here in Pattaya when I first applied 10 years ago at the Immigration and last year help a friend through the process, if you apply in Pattaya, you do not need a physical nor a police report. It is much easier doing it here than home, but you will need the extended tourist Visa from the Thai Embassy before applying.

You might also think about attending a Expat Club meeting, I believe there are a number of one's in C.M.

Good luck.

Alternative to 800.000 bath: Generally, the requirements for "retirement" from the Thai authorities:

Have income of at least 65,000 baht / month.

Monthly income must be confirmed by the British embassy or consulate to whom you are filing your documents.

Thanks for adding to my post... it needed the clarification. Can go to your UK Embassy each year and get a document stating you have 65,000 baht a month.

• Like 2

I understand what you're saying and it's true. But I got an "O" Visa from the Los Angeles, CA consulate six months ago. But I'm married to a Thai national and she has a Green Card in the USA, so we are legally married in the USA, so no issue. After about 80 days I applied for an extension of stay based on retirement in Phuket, and got it, no problem. The requirements now for an O-A in the US are a pain and not cheap! You must pay to get finger prints and a DOJ clearance submitted by your county sheriff's department... Plus a medical certificate, bank records and letter, etc. Much easier to change an O to a retirement extension of stay that's good for a year.

• Like 1

Why not try and provide clarity rather than add to the confusion? If members focused on this rather than scoring points off each other this forum world be more useful.

It is fact that visas are only ISSUED outside Thailand.

You are saying that A CONVERSION of visa can be obtained inside Thailand. I am assuming this service is provided by the Bureau of Immigration?

Yes. I just received this advice from the Thai immigration office, as I had a different idea of what fifteen days means....

You must have a minimum of fifteen days remaining on your visa or permission to stay in order to convert to a non immigration visa, which is valid for ninety days, and which can then be used to apply for extension of stay for retirement purposes.

I believed that my visa stamp valid until 14 March 2016 plus the day of my arrival at immigration on 29 February constituted the prescribed fifteen days. Not so, and still not sure where the problem lay. Immaterial as they said "No".

The solution offered is to exit the Kingdom and return, thereby obtaining a thirty day visa exempt permission to stay, and return to Immigration with all of the proper paperwork and "Hey Presto!", I will get my initial 90 day visa, non immigrant, usable as the basis for one year extension for retirement purposes.

I will also need to obtain a new income affidavit from the US Embassy, which is a PITA because they will only process such if you have an appointment, obtainable ONLY on line, and requiring a printed copy, though the guy in front of me in the initial check in queue managed with a cell phone copy.

I might add, as I have only seen advice on the 800,000 baht deposit scheme, that alternatively evidence of 65,000 baht/month retirement income is also acceptable.

This is why I must get another notarized affidavit, as Bangkok Bank kept the one I had when I opened a savings account. I did not realize this until I presented an un notarized copy at my abortive visa conversion attempt.

The nice officer also mentioned something about my four day overstay last time around, though not what the significance to the refusal was. Sorry, but I have contributed to the image of the ignorant farang. blink.png

I have my ticket to go to Kuala Lumpur as entry on arrival is possible in Malaysia... no visa fees.

Edited by Bill Miller

Basically:

(1) Get a Non-Immigrant O-A visa from the embassy. This is valid either for 3 months or for 1 year (usually the former).

(2) Once in Thailand, open the bank account and make the requisite deposit in the given timeframe, and apply for a visa extension based on retirement at the Immgiration office close to where you live. This will be valid for a year, but if you need to travel outside of Thailand and go back, you need to obtain a re-entry permit (some people like to do this at the same time as the extension). You can get the new retirement extensions every year, as long as you qualify.

O/A visas are always valid for one year and visas are never extended.

Please refrain from posting misleading nonsense.

If you do not know then do not post.

The terminology nazis are at it again... and very aggressive (and rude) about it too...

... are you saying that after the original non-O visa expires, and you're on yearly extension based on retirement, you no longer have a visa? So if someone, after the first year or so asks you what visa you have, what do you say? Sorry, I don't have a visa, it expired last year?

Yet, every entry stamp I have states clearly, on the stamp, that I have a: Visa Class: Non-RE... and I have dozens of stamps to prove that.

Getting the terminology correct is important to stop confusion,all on the same page,so to say.Yes,it does say Retirement,then follows with Extension of stay.Not a visa.

There is no "retirement" visa --------------however--------

<snip>

Had a huge argument with a friend about this one. It's even stamped in his passport "Retirement Visa". LOL

I tried to explain the O-A visa, but it didn't work...

Your friend was probably right,Retirement is stamped there,Visa is not there.Extension of stay permitted up to......is stamped there.

Come and enjoy but be very very careful about investing money in a condo or anything else here. Watch the ladies to as there are a few good ones but one must really search hard. This is not Disneyland. Have your wits about you or you will learn that yes there is one born every day.

• Like 1

Come and enjoy but be very very careful about investing money in a condo or anything else here. Watch the ladies to as there are a few good ones but one must really search hard. This is not Disneyland. Have your wits about you or you will learn that yes there is one born every day.

Very good advice.

On my previous comment about conversions to 90 day O VISAS in Thailand, I did not present that post as explaining every technical detail about getting such conversions. Last time I checked BANGKOK was in Thailand.

I was merely refuting the total FALSEHOOD posted by another poster stating that VISAS are ONLY available outside Thailand.

Not every post has the bandwidth to cover all details.

For "confused" people exploring their options for the first time seeking legalization of a retirement stay in Thailand, it is very important that they understand ALL the paths towards that so they have the knowledge to make the best choice for their INDIVIDUAL circumstances.

To start out, O-A visas are a great and convenient choice for some, a very poor and inconvenient choice for others. This is NOT a one path works best for all situation. Perhaps adding to confusion, but still that's the way it is, like it or not.

For example, if you are already in Thailand or Southeast Asia and you have a way to financial qualify from this region, it would usually NOT be worth the bother to fly back to your home country to get an O-A visa. Again, O-A visas are a choice for retirement here and not a requirement.

The possibility of getting the initial O visa IN Thailand is one of those choices, and indeed quite a popular and common one as well.

Getting initial 90 day O visas in the region such as Malaysia or Laos is also popular and common (as opposed to O-As).

The path from being understandably totally confused to fully understanding the various options, including the pros and cons for your individual situation, is in my view worth doing.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

What started as a Simple question has turned into yet another deluge of disagreements....

Until people stated getting hung up about terminology I thought the replies were quite useful.

My Story - After initially getting a Non O visa and not wishing to leave the country at 3 month intervals, I got my retirement VISA (Yes I will call it VISA for convenience) on Friday (1900 THB) and applied for multiple re-entry permits (3800 THB) at the same time. I have heard the a single re-entry (1000 THB) is possible but it can get sticky if you want another one. Not sure about that so played it safe.

I dont know all the nuances but I don't need to leave the country before i get another retirement VISA / STAMP .... but if I want to I can. Good luck and stay with it. The winters are glorious.

Wow!

I think the OP on his first post as a member came here looking for clarity on his confusion and got blown away by all the confusing opinions of the many "experts" here.

After reading all the quibbling I would not be surprised if the OP never comes back to ask another question

Couldn't agree more ...

I came in on a 90 day visa , opened up an SCB bank account had the equivelant of 800,000 baht transferred into it all within the first 3 weeks 10 days before the expiry of my 90 days I went to immigration with my bank book a letter from the bank and the fee required which was 1,900 baht two hours later I walked out with my extension of stay visa " retirement as some call it " in my passport. The first time you apply the 800,000 has to be in the bank for two months after that it has to be in for 3 months before re-applying . Make sure you have money to live on without touching the 800,000 good Luck !! Note at no time did I require a medical or police check

What started as a Simple question has turned into yet another deluge of disagreements....

Until people stated getting hung up about terminology I thought the replies were quite useful.

My Story - After initially getting a Non O visa and not wishing to leave the country at 3 month intervals, I got my retirement VISA (Yes I will call it VISA for convenience) on Friday (1900 THB) and applied for multiple re-entry permits (3800 THB) at the same time. I have heard the a single re-entry (1000 THB) is possible but it can get sticky if you want another one. Not sure about that so played it safe.

I dont know all the nuances but I don't need to leave the country before i get another retirement VISA / STAMP .... but if I want to I can. Good luck and stay with it. The winters are glorious.

If you believe you have a valid"visa" why bother with buying a re-entry permit ?

A valid visa permits entry into the county no need for a re-entry permit! smile.png

Wow-Totally overwhelmed with the mass of posts here this morning. Thanks to everybody who bothered to post- it's appreciated. I see now that there seem to be huge differences in interpretation of what don't appear to be consistent rules regarding visas!! Maybe this is what causes all the confusion? After living and working in Vietnam for over 7 years I am not a newbie at expat life but the visa process seemed much clearer in Vietnam somehow! All I really want to know is the easiest and least painful way of being able to stay in Thailand. As indicated I am 59 and not now working but I don't have a private pension. I do however have ample funds to open the necessary bank account, buy a condo (longer term) and live before my state pension kicks in. I plan also to rent my property in the UK. So- perhaps just a couple more things for clarity- what is difference between O and OA visa? Am I correct in thinking that a tourist visa (not visa on arrival) followed by conversion to O visa then subsequent application for retirement visa is a good route to take? At what stage would I be allowed to open a bank account to prove I had sufficient funds? Once again thanks to all who have input to my confusion.

• Like 1

If you believe you have a valid"visa" why bother with buying a re-entry permit ?

A valid visa permits entry into the county no need for a re-entry permit! smile.png

I wish I could be perfect in every way...

On my previous comment about conversions to 90 day O VISAS in Thailand, I did not present that post as explaining every technical detail about getting such conversions. Last time I checked BANGKOK was in Thailand.

I was merely refuting the total FALSEHOOD posted by another poster stating that VISAS are ONLY available outside Thailand.

Not every post has the bandwidth to cover all details.

For "confused" people exploring their options for the first time seeking legalization of a retirement stay in Thailand, it is very important that they understand ALL the paths towards that so they have the knowledge to make the best choice for their INDIVIDUAL circumstances.

To start out, O-A visas are a great and convenient choice for some, a very poor and inconvenient choice for others. This is NOT a one path works best for all situation. Perhaps adding to confusion, but still that's the way it is, like it or not.

For example, if you are already in Thailand or Southeast Asia and you have a way to financial qualify from this region, it would usually NOT be worth the bother to fly back to your home country to get an O-A visa. Again, O-A visas are a choice for retirement here and not a requirement.

The possibility of getting the initial O visa IN Thailand is one of those choices, and indeed quite a popular and common one as well.

Getting initial 90 day O visas in the region such as Malaysia or Laos is also popular and common (as opposed to O-As).

The path from being understandably totally confused to fully understanding the various options, including the pros and cons for your individual situation, is in my view worth doing.

I stand corrected. Good to know that visas can be obtained in Thailand.

Non Imm O-A Visa or Non Imm O Visa?

Whatever suits you.

Non Imm O-A Visa requires money in UK bank plus police report and medical report.

Arrive with a Non Imm O Visa and extend by 12 months at Immigration in Thailand for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

No police or medical needed.

I know what I think is the easiest.wink.png

You forgot to mention the 800,000 Bht that must be in a Thai Bank or Evidence, certified by an Embassy, of a monthly income of 65,000Bht.

Without the finances no 12 month extension of stay can be obtained.