Pleasant experience with Thai police yesterday

craigt3365

I was driving down the road and saw some action on the side of the road. It was a small accident between a bicycle and a car. Come to find out, I knew one of the parties. So, stopped to see what was going on.

Glad I did as my friend was being threatened by the other party. We got in the middle and helped calm things down. Crowds turned up and the police were called. The officer showed up within a few minutes with an interpreter on the back of his scooter. Very quick response. I was expecting the worse, but it was amazingly professional. A bit of a discussion with both parties, a review of the very minor damage and things were settled after both parties apologized to each other and agreed not to press charges.

The officer even apologized to the bike rider for not having bike paths in the city. Saying the city grew too fast and planning wasn't done properly. I was shocked!

All in all, things worked out very well. No injuries. No real damage. And a very fast response!

What I found out with Thai people, if you treat them good, they treat you better.

Yeah, this really is true. On my dozen or so visits and my almost two years total in country in Thailand there have been a few "misunderstandings". Going in with a pleasant attitude did not always work out better, but it usually did, and in the few cases where it didn't make things smoother there was nothing that was going to make things better anyway. So definitely the better way to start things

Nice post. But I doubt there will be as much interest as in the countless police bashing threads!

Agreed. But sadly, these bashing posts are there for a reason. Just trying to point out there are some good police out there. And sadly, many that are not so good....

In my 50 years here, I have had many, many road stops in my car and have been in many other situations where police needed to be involved.

Not once - ever - was I treated unfairly or felt victimised. I have been fined when I was wrong but that was always fairly handled.

Am I just lucky or do some others over dramatise a second hand less positive story, or is something else at play here ?

What I found out with Thai people, if you treat them good, they treat you better.

It all comes down to your attitude and obviously from comments throughout TV many of the people posting have a bit of an attitude.

I completely agree with oxforddon. Having lived here for three decades and been stopped by the police countless times i can say that it was alwayshandled on the roadside with courtesy except for one occasion when me, having a bad hair day, was rude first. I could write a book about the positive experiences and humour...in fact I am and dealing with police in traffic and many other matters and other officialdom here is one of my best chapters. I hope you buy it when it comes out.

It all comes down to your attitude and obviously from comments throughout TV many of the people posting have a bit of an attitude.

Can't agree more. I have had a few encounters with the police in the last 11 years and never once was I treated unfairly. One time they did jack the ticket up from 200 - 400 baht, but it was all my fault to begin with. I have never been treated anything but fairly and certainly never mind paying small fines/tickets when I am wrong.

Was this really professionalism on part of the BiB or courtesy between the two parties, passerby's (yourself) and the interpreter?

Was it a young inexperienced BiB?

Total of 3 encounters myself with basic traffic stops, 3 minutes showing proper stuff and I'm on my way... but, reading about the very many things they do when given the opportunity, maybe this situation just didn't offer one.

Sorry for cynicism, but is there an honest, professional BiB out there that doesn't see money signs when a farang is involved? IF I'm in the wrong here, beers on me... smile.png

Edited by Nowisee

In my 50 years here, I have had many, many road stops in my car and have been in many other situations where police needed to be involved.

Not once - ever - was I treated unfairly or felt victimised. I have been fined when I was wrong but that was always fairly handled.

Am I just lucky or do some others over dramatise a second hand less positive story, or is something else at play here ?

+1

I also have always had excellent response from and interaction with the police here, reap what you sow is a part of the picture, abiding by the law is another.

I've had a couple of bad experiences, but on reflection they were mostly my error or ignorance. I've had plenty of good ones where they could have extorted from me but didn't (eg. parking on a red/while kerb and he just explained the rules then left me on my way.

especial when they know or feel they are the faulty part,

and you will not chrge them for compensation !

Look at the otherside, they got the damage but sure, that you were the faulty part,

dont beleave you will get a handshake and no charge !!

in many other situations !!!! cheesy.gif over dramatise cheesy.gif

Not sure what amuses you in my comments but I have also met many cynics and sceptics in my 50 years here also so it does not surprise me when I meet one more. Have a nice day.

Was this really professionalism on part of the BiB or courtesy between the two parties, passerby's (yourself) and the interpreter?

Total of 3 encounters myself with basic traffic stops, 3 minutes showing proper stuff and I'm on my way... but, reading about the very many things they do when given the opportunity, maybe this situation just didn't offer one.

Sorry for cynicism, but is there an honest, professional BiB out there that doesn't see money signs when a farang is involved? IF I'm in the wrong here, beers on me... smile.png

The two parties were not in the best of mood. The cop was very nice. With that being said, I know many who've had bad experiences. Basically being scammed. No excuse for that even if you are a bit heated.

Not sure what amuses you in my comments but I have also met many cynics and sceptics in my 50 years here also so it does not surprise me when I meet one more. Have a nice day.

in my opinion i rather think you are over exaggerating how ever go prove me wrong and name just a few of the many

Everyone can think whatever they wish but three house break-ins that involved police visits, violent deaths of two relatives of my then wife, bar brawls where I was a witness and still more situations that I could list would still have you doubt me so why do I bother ? I stick with my original post and did I not see you give that a like ?

I have had the same experience. Always the police treat me professionally, and in many ways better than I would have been treated at home. The police here seem less confrontational, more interested in a resolution where the parties involved come to an understanding, and prefer not to do unnecessary paperwork or push people through the system.

I have even had the scammer cops stop me, hoping they might get some quick cash. I know the routine. I am polite, speak a little Thai, have nothing that they can leverage, and I am quickly on my way.

Those reporting bad experiences, I suspect, are either rude and confrontational, or just happen to be unlucky. I have no doubt that there are genuinely bad experiences with genuinely rotten cops, but I really do think that is exaggerated. It is the old adage that people will take the time to complain about a negative experience, but rarely have the time to register a positive experience.

One time the ex-gf decided to make my life difficult. She set things up to make me look very bad, then called for the police to come to my place. At the time, I lived in a very expensive townhouse in the Thong Lo district. By all appearances, I was a Farang ripe for the taking. It was Thong Lo police, who most people say are notorious for taking advantage. Three police arrived at my place, and I was sure I was about to part with some serious money.

But, the police were exceptionally professional. They saw through the little charade the gf had put on. They never once even hinted at wanting to be compensated, which in that circumstance I would have expected and accepted. Instead, they gave the gf a lecture and put her in a taxi. The one cop who could speak English had a nice conversation with me, explaining that he could process the gf and produce a police record for her. When I explained that was not really necessary, he was delighted to not have to do the paperwork. This was shortly after the Erawan bombing, and we both agreed that he had more important matters to attend to as an officer.

All in all, what I expected to be a nightmare, instead gave me a measure of respect for those officers.

Of course, there are always bad cops, just as there are bad people. There are certain areas (let's just say Sukhumvit), where your odds of meeting a bad one are higher. There are situations that simply go pear shaped. But I will say over and over, the average Thai police officer is no worse, and in many ways better, than those I have dealt with at home.

It seems those who have been stopped many times by the police over the years have had good experiences.

Are they that bad at driving they give the police the chance to stop them so often ?
In over 30 years of driving in England I have been stopped in a car a total of never.

Maybe the police in England don't feel the need to stop cars for no reason while those in Thailand do. Who knows.

Wow ! 50 years here ? Are you the one who stayed the longest in Thailand on Thaivisa ?

How was it to be here before Internet ? I cannot imagine.

I have never had an tissue with the police until they wanted to search me in a dark street for guns and bombs, their words. Iny this post the police were not proffesional and its sad to hear some thought they see were. Someone was at fault and got away with it.

I have never had an tissue with the police until they wanted to search me in a dark street for guns and bombs, their words. Iny this post the police were not proffesional and its sad to hear some thought they see were. Someone was at fault and got away with it.

On a dark street with hands on you? I suppose you would wish for a "tissue".

Maybe you looked suspect and needed to be searched?