British man dies of heart attack while having coffee at his Patong hotel

webfact

British man dies of heart attack while having coffee at his Patong hotel
Darawan Naknakhon

1457062975_1-org.jpg
The man suffered a heart attack whilst having coffee at the restaurant of the Seaview Patong Hotel. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Doctors have confirmed that a British man who passed away whilst having a cup of coffee at a Patong Hotel this morning (Mar 4) had suffered a heart attack. The man had only arrived in the country on Wednesday (Mar 2).

Lt Col Weerapong Rakkhito from Kathu Police was called at 7:45am this morning to investigate the death of a British man who had died at the restaurant of the

Lt Col Weerapong Rakkhito from Kathu Police was called at 7:45am this morning to investigate the death of a British man who had died at the restaurant of the Seaview Patong Hotel on Taweewong Rd.

Police arrived at the restaurant area to find the body of the man, name withheld until his family have been informed, lying face up on the ground near a table.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/british-man-dies-of-heart-attack-while-having-coffee-at-his-patong-hotel-56458.php

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-04

My Dad was a fireman and this exact thing occurred at a table near us one morning at breakfast in So. Cal.

Luckily the local fire department (not the one my Dad was attached to) was just up the street. My Dad began CPR right away and the local posse was there in under ten minutes, the guy survived.

RIP to this gentleman, I think Thailand might not be the best place to have a heart attack unless you are already at the hospital.

Yes, you have to think this unfortunate man would have had a chance to survive if this had happened in a public place, in a Western country. There's usually someone there with the CPR skills to assist until help arrives.

As I get older it's easy to imagine what would happen if I were to fall over right now clutching my chest. Would anyone in my house have the knowledge to keep me alive for the hour it takes for an ambulance to arrive.

Would the press arrive first and do a pictorial about the beverage I was drinking at the time?

Yes, you have to think this unfortunate man would have had a chance to survive if this had happened in a public place, in a Western country. There's usually someone there with the CPR skills to assist until help arrives.

As I get older it's easy to imagine what would happen if I were to fall over right now clutching my chest. Would anyone in my house have the knowledge to keep me alive for the hour it takes for an ambulance to arrive.

Would the press arrive first and do a pictorial about the beverage I was drinking at the time?

OC, even when the ambulance arrives, I'm not positive those guys are cardiac trained, and then the traffic to the nearest hospital? Hour for ambulance to arrive, another what 45 minutes to get to the hospital?

Three low seasons back there was a kiteboarder at Nai Harn (strenuous activity). He was heavy but also had recently lost a bunch of kilos in a weight reduction attempt. As he was kiting he had a heart episode. When guys I know got him ashore he was conscious.

He died in the ambulance on the way, heart attack.

Be good to know which hospital ambulances have competent emergency techs onboard.

OC, even when the ambulance arrives, I'm not positive those guys are cardiac trained, and then the traffic to the nearest hospital? Hour for ambulance to arrive, another what 45 minutes to get to the hospital?

Three low seasons back there was a kiteboarder at Nai Harn (strenuous activity). He was heavy but also had recently lost a bunch of kilos in a weight reduction attempt. As he was kiting he had a heart episode. When guys I know got him ashore he was conscious.

Be good to know which hospital ambulances have competent emergency techs onboard.

Seems that you're accusing the ambulance medics in this case of being incompetent? You do know that even the most "competent", highly trained and experienced medical professionals sometimes cannot prevent death, don't you?

Seems that you're accusing the ambulance medics in this case of being incompetent? You do know that even the most "competent", highly trained and experienced medical professionals sometimes cannot prevent death, don't you?

I don't see that accusation in his post.

What I do see is a question about quality of ambulance nurses, which I think is a valid question. I would also like to know the available equipment on the ambulances. E.g. the ones from Kata and Chalong, how are they equipped and staffed? I presume the ambulances from BPH are good, but is that presumption justified?

Does anybody here have any specific knowledge?

<snip>

This man was in a public place, a hotel resturant. No-one knows whether he would have survived in a 'Western Country'. I think it's just the luck of the draw. When it's your time, it's your time ...

RIP ...

Back home a defibrillator would have been handy nearby in most cases.considering all the elderly retirees around there should be some handy for emergencys

Wouldn't be of any use unless you were trained to use it though

<snip>

This man was in a public place, a hotel resturant. No-one knows whether he would have survived in a 'Western Country'. I think it's just the luck of the draw. When it's your time, it's your time ...

RIP ...

Of course it's impossible to know if this patient could have been saved.

My point was, that these days, many more people in western countries now have the skills to resuscitate someone with heart failure., It has become common for people to voluntarily undertake first aid training, and some firms even introduce such training in the workplace.

I've had the training several times.

I know a lady who went to a first aid course with St John Ambulance. A couple of days after finishing she was on the spot to save a neighbors baby who had drowned in a swimming pool.

I don't think this training is common in Thailand.

Yes, a long way to hospital for people living in the south of the island.

Recently, when I suggested the proposed new emergency hospital in Chalong should have priority over the rights of a few vendors squatting on the site, I was called a "bigot"!

Back home a defibrillator would have been handy nearby in most cases.considering all the elderly retirees around there should be some handy for emergencys

Wouldn't be of any use unless you were trained to use it though

They have automatic defibrillators in Australia. The machine talks you through the process. Lifesavers and others use them.

Not allowed here. Only for Doctors!

Not anymore.

MOPH installs AEDs in public places

BANGKOK, 30 January 2015 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) successfully installed the Automated External Defibrillators (AED) in the preliminary locations while preparing to train the public in life saving skills, said an official.

The Deputy Permanent-Secretary of Public Health Surachet Satitramai has said that the MOPH has been working with the Thai Resuscitation Council and the National Institute for Emergency Medicine to install the AED devices in public locations.

The AED will be able to help resuscitate patients suffering from sudden cardiac arrest, which accounts to half of the related patient fatalities before arriving at the hospital.

The sudden cardiac arrest is a symptom commonly found in patients with heart disease. It is the third most common cause of death in Thailand.

The AEDs are being installed at the Suvarnabhumi Airport, Chiang Mai Airport, tourists attractions, MRT stations, government offices, hotels, hospitals, PTT’s oil rigs, and on board Thai Airways international flights, said the MOPH Permanent-Secretary.

The Thai Resuscitation Council will provide training in operating the AED machine to staffs at locations where AEDs are installed. The MOPH and the Heart Association of Thailand will then train the medical staff as instructors to inform the public on operating the AED.

The MOPH aims to see a figure of 50% public capability in handling the AED in emergency situations. This will increase the survival chance of patients with heart disease in Thailand, and to prepare for transitioning into an ageing society in the future.

AEDs have been widely used in installed in public places in many countries and are reported to help increase the survival rate of the patients by 45 percent.

NNT

[nnt][/nnt]

<snip>

RIP ...

My point was, that these days, many more people in western countries now have the skills to resuscitate someone with heart failure., It has become common for people to voluntarily undertake first aid training, and some firms even introduce such training in the workplace.

I know a lady who went to a first aid course with St John Ambulance. A couple of days after finishing she was on the spot to save a neighbors baby who had drowned in a swimming pool.

Many people are trained in CPR here. Think only of all the dive instructors.

<snip>

RIP ...

And yet many Chinese snorkeler, drowning victims seem to be deceased upon arrival at the pier.

I would seem there were no dive instructors in the coffee shop that morning.

Another tourist death in Phuket.

That's four this year

*statistics supplied by the Thailand Ministry of Tourism

So, that's four out of many thousands, what's your point?

Let's just say that I didn't believe the MInistry's tourist death figures released last month. You can work out the rest.

<snip>

RIP ...

And yet many Chinese snorkeler, drowning victims seem to be deceased upon arrival at the pier.

I would seem there were no dive instructors in the coffee shop that morning.

No dive instructors on those snorkeling trips.

Or if he'd been in a hospital emergency room already, Lot of "if" possibilities here.

No. Then CSI: TVF would finger someone in your house as the perp. You gotta be alone with the doors and windows locked from the inside.

They'd notice both the pills and the bottle of Sang Som, yes. Pic will include your naked arse pointed at the ceiling. That's how we do it.

Next.

Speaking as an "oldie", there are worse ways to die than keeling over reading my favourite morning newspaper and with a hot cup of Joe

(French Roast, preferably) in my hand.

First prize, though, would probably be being caught on the job and shot by a jealous husband! smile.png

Not allowed here. Only for Doctors!

That's changed recently, as of now AED's are legal to use in Thailand by the public.

On Dec. 5 I was taken to Siriphat Hospital here in Chiang Mai as I was feeling strange and knew something was amiss.

Siriphat had a more critical case next to me for the cath lab, so they transferred me to RAM who took me immediately into cath

Operation room with diagnosed heart attack. Two angioplasties and one stent resulted. I had previously had 5 by-passes in 2005.

About five days later it was back to RAM by abulance after having a TIA, no doubt, a result of poking around the blood vessels.

I found the calling of 1669 emergency service both quick and efficient in getting me to the hospital (albeit it was in the evening).

Total bill was 411,400 baht for those wanting to weigh out self insuring costs. As you might guess I cannot afford health insurance here and my US Medicare will not cover me here (in spite of costs being considerably less here). Anyway, I am pleased with the care I have received here in Chiang Mai.

Recently, when I suggested the proposed new emergency hospital in Chalong should have priority over the rights of a few vendors squatting on the site, I was called a "bigot"!

There you go again, How do you know they were squatting and not paying rent? Sounds like bigotry to me.

As I said at the time, the new hospital would begin to be be built in the proposed timescale no matter what. No reason to malign the vendors.

Back to the subject. Does anyone know where CPR skills can be taught to farangs in Phuket?

Edited by Chainsaw

There you go again, How do you know they were squatting and not paying rent? Sounds like bigotry to me.

As I said at the time, the new hospital would begin to be be built in the proposed timescale no matter what. No reason to malign the vendors.

Back to the subject. Does anyone know where CPR skills can be taught to farangs in Phuket?

At any dive center for sure, there may be other places as well.