Update on clearing big overstay

Some people have good luck some are in confinement in the Thai monkey house. You dodged what could of been very big trouble. I'm happy for you I hope some learn a lesson from your experience and keep updated on their Visa extensions and their 90 day reports.lock.gif

Ive been checked many times just before the border on the night bus. That's why last week i went with a visa company in a van to clear up my 5 month overstay. The drivers get checked sometimes but never the passengers.

How does one landing at Udon Thani on a domestic flight make it to Nong Khai while avoiding a checkpoint? Bus, minivan, taxi? Is clearing an overstay at the airport before flying within the country prohibited?

There are vans that go from the airport in Udon to the bridge. I have seen no reports of them being stopped.

You cannot clear an overstay when flying on domestic flights.

How does one landing at Udon Thani on a domestic flight make it to Nong Khai while avoiding a checkpoint? Bus, minivan, taxi? Is clearing an overstay at the airport before flying within the country prohibited?

There are vans that go from the airport in Udon to the bridge. I have seen no reports of them being stopped.

For me, would not fly to ut getting this close to march 20. True no reports of being arrested but one current thread of guy being stopped on bus and pp checked on way to NK. He got away with it.

Go to a bkk airport and take cheap flight. Not difficult.

How does one landing at Udon Thani on a domestic flight make it to Nong Khai while avoiding a checkpoint? Bus, minivan, taxi? Is clearing an overstay at the airport before flying within the country prohibited? There are vans that go from the airport in Udon to the bridge. I have seen no reports of them being stopped.

For me, would not fly to ut getting this close to march 20. True no reports of being arrested but one current thread of guy being stopped on bus and pp checked on way to NK. He got away with it.

Go to a bkk airport and take cheap flight. Not difficult.

So, you advise not flying to Udon Thani but instead, fly out of Bangkok.

That doesn't make sense.

You fly international out of Bangkok and clear the overstay at airport. Always the best option. Police have not routinely stopped vans/vehicles going to border in recent years but it has happened in the past and any land movement in border area can result in an ID check and with current terrorist issues this may become more often. But for the next week priority is to get any overstay taken care of so if you do not have funds for international air travel from Bangkok do the best you can.

You have combined a quote from someone else and statement making it very hard to know what you are saying; but you obviously questioned flying out of Bangkok and I pointed out you do so on an international flight to be able to clear overstay at airport.

"Word of warning to anyone with an overstay over 90 days GET IT SORTED NOW."

Some will undoubtedly manage to ignore it, and then come moaning & seeking sympathy here about it, but GOOD advice!

Edited by hawker9000

So, for the OP: Laos Airlines would not sell you a ticket to fly out of Bangkok to Laos because of your overstay in Thailand? Can you provide some detail about how that conversation actually went? 'Seems strange. Were they afraid you'd arrive in Laos somehow having avoided clearing the overstay passing out thru Thai Immigration, causing you to be refused entry in Laos and having to be returned to Bangkok at their expense? Flying out to a neighboring country for the purpose of clearing an overstay has to be one of the most commonly given pieces of advice here on TVF. Or are we misinterpreting what you said about being refused boarding?

So, for the OP: Laos Airlines would not sell you a ticket to fly out of Bangkok to Laos because of your overstay in Thailand? Can you provide some detail about how that conversation actually went? 'Seems strange. Were they afraid you'd arrive in Laos somehow having avoided clearing the overstay passing out thru Thai Immigration, causing you to be refused entry in Laos and having to be returned to Bangkok at their expense? Flying out to a neighboring country for the purpose of clearing an overstay has to be one of the most commonly given pieces of advice here on TVF. Or are we misinterpreting what you said about being refused boarding?

See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/899515-refused-flight/?p=10493224. You can wade through that whole thread for further background.

Just hypothetically, could one use the train instead of the bus?

Passport checks sometimes occur on the trains to/from Nong Khai. Flying out would be safer.

I found usually the passport/immigration checks inland occur for traffic heading towards Bangkok not away (often they are looking more for other Asean citizens - not farang). Went through one stressful check coming back from near the Burmese border one time (visited friends then decided to take an overnight trip - and because I was not originally thinking about it I did not have my passport - I was stressed out for 24 hours until finally getting back through the checkpoint - they looked to make sure everyone looked Thai and ignored the farang). The checks (done by regular police) are done in both directions and they are more interested in fees from seatbelt, car registration and to make sure you are not driving drunk.

It is standard practice that the airlines are held responsible (not just here) for anyone that was rejected entry into a country for things like not having a visa or onward ticket. If you are rejected, the Airline must make a seat available for you to fly you back (at their cost - even if they have to bump someone else). Many airlines in North America will not allow you to board if you don't meet all the immigration rules of the respective countries. If it is a land border it is easy - if you are rejected entry - your exit is cancelled and you must be allowed back into the country you left (same with airlines - but in their case they are responsible).

He does not say why refused. Lack of an onward booking would be my guess, he may have been planning to return to Thailand overland.

If so, solution is simple: buy a r/t ticket.

• Like 1

Laos airlines and indeed Lao Immigration couldn't give two hoots as to whether people clear their overstay in Thailand or not. Laos isn't Thailand and it doesn't enforce its border integrity or visa regime for it.

I don't think it would be possible to dodge Thai immigration on the way out of Thailand and still end up at a legitimate entry point for Laos but if you did... Laos immigration are under no obligations to get you to pass through Thai immigration before granting entry.

• Like 1

This from a post here on OP's topic about being denied boarding. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/899515-refused-flight/page-5?p=10493224#entry10493224

"As per your Email I explain you that the problem is with Lao immigration at Airport they not allow passengers entry to Vientiane who over stay

In Thailand before they allow but now not allow .

Best Regards

Noudeng Chanthaphasouk

General Manager ,Lao Airlines,Bangkok

Silom Plaza Silom Road ,Bangkok 10500

Tel:(+66 2 ) 236 9822-23

Fax:(+66 2 ) 236 9821

Email :[email protected]"

I have also learned that Bangkok airways is stating the same thing by PM from a member.

If you have long overstayed your visa / visa waiver in Thailand -- it has to be seen as a risk that you could easily do the same in the country that you are arriving in.... So it makes perfect sense for countries to reject you on that basis. I expect more of that in the future.

I read your original post about being denied boarding on the Lao Airlines flight because of your Thai overstay. The same thing happened to me several months ago. I tried checking in for my Lao Airlines flight to Vientiane and I was told I might not be able to board because of my Thai overstay of a mere 6-7 days. Apparently it is a policy of the airline. I ended up standing at check in for about 45 minutes while the worker waited for contact from the Laos side to tell her if I was allowed to board the flight. I was finally told I could, but ONLY on the condition of showing 20,000 THB in cash at the check-in counter!. Luckily, I had it so I boarded the flight and lived to fight another day.

Is it just Laos airline rejecting Laos-bound passengers? Or every airline?

Ubonjoe reported "I have also learned that Bangkok airways is stating the same thing by PM from a member."

There have been no further reports but I would expect that if the Laos immigration are refusing entry to over-stayers that any other Airline flying to Laos will adopt a similar policy.

I don't believe they can read the Thai stamp.

The written languages of Thai and Laos are mutually intelligible to educated natives. Even if they were not, providing the IOs with an example of what an overstay stamp looks like (as has sometimes been done here for the benefit of those who cannot read Thai) would be sufficient.