Home Nursing Care

egeefay

My wife's mother is 84.

She's been living with my wife's sister in Bangkok for the last few years.

Recently she's taken a turn for the worse and requires around the clock care diaper changing, bathing , getting to the doctors.

My wife's sister finally decided that she didn't have the energy to care for her family and her mother at the same time.

So she called a hospital to inquire about hiring a competent aide to assiste my mother-in-law.

They sent an aide to her house who has been trained to take care of elderly patients. She's about 40 years old and has been doing it for about 10 years.

The aide is assigned to take care of my mother-in-law around the clock. The aide sleeps in the room beside her, changes her diapers, takes her to the bathroom to bath, washes her clothes, cooks her food, makes sure she takes her medications, gives her insulin shots...whatever the mother in law needs, she does.

She works 6 days a week

The cost..8500 baht ($230 a month). paid to the hospital!!

The cost..8500 baht ($230 a month). paid to the hospital!!

Excellent service from this hospital. What’s its name?

---------------

Maestro

Correction. The service is provided by a Nursing Home called Golden Life Nursing Home in Bangkok.

I couldn't find any reference to them on the internet but my inlaws say they are located on Jang Wattana. You can email me if you want their phonenumber

Hi

just so I understand correctly, the aide stays in your mother (sister) -in-law's home?

thanks for sharing this info!

Yes. The aide actually lives in the home so my inlaws have to provide a place to sleep and food. But they can monitor the quality of care because a family member is usually home most of the time.

On Friday my mother in law had to be taken to the hospital so the aide accompanied her and is staying by her bedside 24 hours.

It really has taken a lot of the burden off my sister in law, who has a family of her own and a daughter who is about to get married.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. The caretaker who has been living with my mother in law is a wonderful person and would be perfect if my mother in law were able to get around herself.

However turns out my mother in law's health has deteriorated to the point where she can no longer move herself even to be fed. She has to be lifted to a seated position. She has to be almost carried to the bathroom to bath.

The caretaker is not strong enough to do this. It take two people to lift her.

In addition it turns out that the caretaker doesn't give injections. So a family member has to be around to provide insulin her insulin shots when she needs them.

Now the family is thinking of trying to find a suitable nursing home where they have enough round the clock help to provide her medications and to lift her when she needs to be moved.

I guess the caretaker turned out to be more of a private "servant" but not a trained nurses aide.