Bands, toilet attendant and waitresses demanding tips

atyclb

OK, tourist areas. as paying customers requested a song from band and they demanded money(tip) in advance.

Toilet attendant in tiny crappy dilapidated toilet turned on water before i could. i said thank you. before i could leave he made moves and moves ended pointing to tip tray.

at crowded gogo (standing room only) waited a while and tried to get waitress attention but nothing. finally walked to bar and ordered directly. waitress not involved appeared next to me demanding "20 baht". she complained to mamasan.but mamasan did not really care.

I have never seen these types of behaviors at mid to higher level thai establishments

Where tipping is concerned, stand your ground. It's the one sure situation where you can do so. Being over-charged may be a scam but it's the actual price being asked for and is more difficult to avoid. Much of the time it's best to pay then vote with your feet.

For tipping, it's voluntary. In the tourist areas of Thailand a non-tipping culture has learned some nationalities bring their tipping culture with them, resulting in everyone being expected to give. These days that's exactly what it is: an expectation on the part of the service provider, except the service itself isn't important. They have learned the idiots never stop coming so they can be abused and will often still give out money.

Thai service staff in tourist areas expect a tip with no regards as to the service given and if no tip is forthcoming they can sneer and insult because you exist only to give them money.

No is the answer unless you choose to give. Always stand up to them.

But you need to be able to recognize and nip it in the bud early if someone is playing you for tips, like some guy massaging your shoulders in a urinal. No. Handing out towels: I can do it myself, no. The beer you gave? No, it was just one beer and you didn't so much as look at me.

A nice big Thai smile helps as soon as they look at you, if you understand the Thai smile: 'And you've got two hopes, pal, Bob Hope and no hope'.

Paying a restaurant bill by credit card in a POS machine.

Waitress does her magic on the machine and hands it back to me with a "would you care to add a tip?"

My tip - always be good to your Mother.

And this was in Sydney. coffee1.gif

The toilet attendant thing is all over, not only Thailand and I really can't be arsed with tipping the toilet guy. I don't want any 'bants' or a spray of aftershave I want to go to the toilet, wash my hands and leave as quickly as possible

I would rather pay a fee to go to the toilet then face these people. My tips shouldn't keep the toilet clean, that should be the job of the venue regardless of whether someone is there all night or not

I actually prefer to see a tip box.
To me, it's a sign that means: voluntary, not mandatory.

I haven't really experienced people asking for tips here in Thailand.
I guess I don't hang out in places where they hand you a towel.

(I'm happy to find piped in water, LOL) (and piped out drains)

Tips should be earned not expected. Went to an Italian restaurant on the beach near Jomtien. The service was awful! I am talking 40 minutes after Thais served, farang food arrives. 2nd drink asked for twice and arrived after meal finished. Bill arrived with 10% service added. I refused to pay the extra. Had to argue with 2 Italian Head waiters who said it was mandatory. I was polite but firm & eventually they knocked off a dish equivalent to service charge. The service charge remained?!

thanx for replies.. i have no problem with standard normal tip assuming they actually brought me the food/drink and service is ok.

at some upscale places you have toilet attendants, example; tawandaeng restaurant. they try to massage but dont harass you and never demand tips. i can see if i use some special product they may have (cologne, hairspray etc) but simply annoying to have people turn on water and hand me a crumpled toilet paper, things i simply normally do myself. often wonder if the mandatory 10% service charge actually even reaches the servers or its just another scam to get money?

I dont understand your point, you pay or you dont pay. no point in grousing about it here.

As fr toilet attendants, they have been asking for tips at nightspots since i came to thailand 20 years ago. usually for back massage while you pee.and hot towels.

im happy to tip for a hot towel, i can do without the back slapping.

Tips should be earned not expected. Went to an Italian restaurant on the beach near Jomtien. The service was awful! I am talking 40 minutes after Thais served, farang food arrives. 2nd drink asked for twice and arrived after meal finished. Bill arrived with 10% service added. I refused to pay the extra. Had to argue with 2 Italian Head waiters who said it was mandatory. I was polite but firm & eventually they knocked off a dish equivalent to service charge. The service charge remained?!

On a POS system almost nobody has the ability to discount or remove the service charge. That function is generally reserved for the senior manager, who probably has no idea the function even exists even if they were on duty at the time.

The best the waiter could do was void an item so you didn't have to pay for it, which they did.

Really good service yes i will tip, I never have to tip in Thailand.

Hmmm....I am certainly not an admirer of many things Thai but my personal experiences have been different.The ability to speak some thai, being well mannered and some humor can give you different experiences. Try it !