My Expensive Mis-teak & Kidney Pie

DD13

If you experience food poisoning in Thailand you do not need to visit a private , expensive hospital. Drink lots of water and take char coal tabletsor you can buy ssomething at the pharmacy to kill the bacterias in your stomach. My tourist friend went to Bangkok Pattaya hospital because he was feeling sick in the stomach and had to pay 18000 baht incl medication he never needed in the first place.

Edited by balo

but unless you were in shock or experiencing some major systemic shut down, what was the point of going to the hospital?

especially with a wife in healthcare (I note you were non-specific), did she daignose botulism.

i cant even begin to recall the number of times i have laid with my face on the cold tile floor of the bathroom waiting for that dodgy shrimp to pass through.

I would far rather suffer at home.

23k buys alot of charcoal and electrolyte.

As for the 47 baht pie, what the hell were you expecting?

The source of the OP's purchase might save others of us being food poisoned.

A copy of the receipt showing the item would prove what came from where.

Why let others get food poisoned ?

I'm afraid naming and shaming is rather frowned upon on Thai visa forum,and rightfully so under certain circumstances.

i hardly think it matters, dont eat the 47 baht pie is easily remembered.

47B is very nearly GBP1. There is no reason why a perfectly acceptable and tasty pie should not be made for this price, even here.

It can - but they won't.

Most seem to be double that price - and are still awful,

I'm sorry but I would be far more concerned at the 23,000 Baht bill for an upset stomach than I would be over a dodgy 47 Baht pie.

That all depends on the severity of the food poisoning. To call the OP's condition an "upset stomach" is a bit ignorant as you have no idea of his condition. Some food poisonings can be so severe that the last thing you'd be worrying about is 23,000 baht.

A severe event can be lethal if not treated expediently.

the virus can lay dormant for several days and then break out. Could have easily been a semi bad egg your wife served up in an omelet or anything just about. It really does take a group of people to confirm the source

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

6 hours after eating a chilled meat pie from the supermarket is a pretty safe bet, especially after eating nothing all day.

Sometimes there's no doubt. Your comments are what you'd expect to hear from a restaurant trying to cover their as*es.

the virus can lay dormant for several days and then break out. Could have easily been a semi bad egg your wife served up in an omelet or anything just about. It really does take a group of people to confirm the source

6 hours after eating a chilled meat pie from the supermarket is a pretty safe bet, especially after eating nothing all day.

Sometimes there's no doubt. Your comments are what you'd expect to hear from a restaurant trying to cover their as*es.

Why not do a bit of research? I will help you

Google, is food poisoning from the Last thing I ate?

There you go, will be hundreds of links.

But here is just one but they all say the same thing

http://m.deseretnews.com/photo/865626430

Food poisoning can occur WEEKS before the last thing you ate.

A common method is by digesting feaces, gross eh? So guess what?

If the chef in that resteraunt didn't wash his hands..

But hey why go with medical science when you can be ignorant and go with your gut. (no pun)

I'm afraid this whole thread was a complete waste of time

Edited by mcfish

47B is very nearly GBP1. There is no reason why a perfectly acceptable and tasty pie should not be made for this price, even here.

It can - but they won't.

CAUTION: THAI APOLOGIST ALERT

Ever tried buying Thai food in the UK, US or Australia?

'Rip-offs' in non-domestic food are a global phenomenon.

I'm not gonna be an apologist for that particular hospital if it has the name I suspect and also has a branch in Siem Reap. 75% theft. I've had satisfactory to good experiences everywhere else, even including Bumrungrad.

At the other end of the scale I had a scare yesterday when I had 30 minutes of blurred, halo, slight flashing lights vision for the first time out of nowhere. UK (NHS) symptom checker advised "if both eyes - go straight away to emergency room" and hinted at possible early stroke sign. 10 mins with a doctor in my local Isaan Amphur public hospital - nice new build now. He checked me over and put my mind at rest (famous last words?!). Cost 50 baht!!

I dont think that's the case, at least not in the UK.

Frozen or chilled Asian-style dishes seem to cost about the same as frozen or chilled Western-style dishes in the supermarkets I've seen there.

And local UK pubs seem to charge about the same for Thai dishes as they do for fish and chips or a Sunday roast, at least they do in the local pubs I have visited in the UK.

OK, imported fancy fruits or suchlike will cost more anywhere and that's to be expected. But there is no reason why a simple item made with widely available and cheap ingredients should cost a lot.

An incubation period of around 6 hours suggests Staph aureus food poisoning. Symptoms would be vomiting, bad headache, high temperature, later diarrhea (or diarrhea for our US friends).

But as others have mentioned, could also be something eaten 12-24 hours earlier - then symptoms would normally be diarrhoea, pain in intestines.

Either way it's no fun and dehydration can be an issue in hot countries due to dehydration - so rehydration salts are a good idea.

I've seen that Thai hospitals tend to over-react with saline drips and antibiotics and this may be the reason for the excessive bill, but food poisoning can be serious so it's not an easy call to decide on home treatment vs hospital. The middle option of a visit to a GP would be ideal - but there's not many local practices in Thailand that are not part of big (expensive) hospitals.

You may be right on convenience food Kitten Kong - I was thinking more about restaurant meals and food ingredients. I cook (Thai food) and my Thai family (persuade me to) go to restaurants when in the UK and would not trust most pubs to cook decent Thai fayre in the same way they often do acceptable Indian (yes - I know there are exceptions - there was one near my office in London Bridge that did really good Thai pub food). Pubs tend to do rather formulaic green/red curry - rarely found a good Tom Yam or a Pad Thai in a pub - it's the cost of fresh ingredients I guess.

23K? What did they give you for that?

Best treatment for any stomach trouble is to keep a sachet or two of Smecta handy....available all over thailand in boots or even small chemists.

Works better than charcoal pills.

Why not do a bit of research? I will help you

Google, is food poisoning from the Last thing I ate?

There you go, will be hundreds of links.

But here is just one but they all say the same thing

http://m.deseretnews.com/photo/865626430

Food poisoning can occur WEEKS before the last thing you ate.

A common method is by digesting feaces, gross eh? So guess what?

If the chef in that resteraunt didn't wash his hands..

But hey why go with medical science when you can be ignorant and go with your gut. (no pun)

I'm afraid this whole thread was a complete waste of time

There's no need for sarcasm.

Yes, in the world of medicine all kinds of weird things can happen in rare cases, but it would be pretty obvious to most punters that a vomiting-with-stomach-cramps episode 6 hours after the only food eaten all day (at 9 pm) would clearly point to the only food eaten that day. The fact that the food just happened to be a refrigerated meat pie from a Thailand supermarket and the odds go through the roof.

I've also had a problem with a meat pie from a well known Farang-frequented supermarket. I won't buy them anymore because I was quite certain the pie was the culprit despite Googled (science) articles stating it may have been a bug I picked up months ago.

Yes, it is often very difficult to pin-point the responsible foods, but the OP's episode was about as clear-cut as you could get.

Edited by tropo

It can - but they won't.

I'm not gonna be an apologist for that particular hospital if it has the name I suspect and also has a branch in Siem Reap. 75% theft. I've had satisfactory to good experiences everywhere else, even including Bumrungrad.

At the other end of the scale I had a scare yesterday when I had 30 minutes of blurred, halo, slight flashing lights vision for the first time out of nowhere. UK (NHS) symptom checker advised "if both eyes - go straight away to emergency room" and hinted at possible early stroke sign. 10 mins with a doctor in my local Isaan Amphur public hospital - nice new build now. He checked me over and put my mind at rest (famous last words?!). Cost 50 baht!!

So what did the doc diagnose that was so reassuring? Don't eat the manky pies?

It can - but they won't.

I would say the cost of anything anywhere else is irrelevant. Imported goods in either direction will be expensive.

However, here we are talking about locally produced goods that will sell according to market forces. A cr4p pie is a cr4p pie at 47 Baht or 95 Baht - maybe the expectations are higher with the latter.

Packaged Thai food in the UK is exactly what you expect it to be - heck, just look at buying rice in a supermarket!

Thai restaurant food is invariably dumbed down for the local market and is a costly disappointment to those who have lived in Thailand. As you say, always exceptions especially where you can get to talk to the chef.

A pie from a warm " chiller" in Thailand .... Isn't that a suicide attempt?

Or are you proposing " attempted murder" by the pie purveyor?

Haha not so innocent a story now ...,!

Clearly very suspicious...

• 4 weeks later...

Why not call Bangkok Hospital and ask them to send someone over? I think it's only about 4999 or 5999, they send a Doctor, Nurse, and EMT. They diagnose you in your room, give you meds, and that's that. Usually done in less than 30 minutes. If you have something serious then they can cart you away to the hospital.

When I had something akin to food poisoning (and this was really bad), they came over, gave me meds, and left. Cheaper than your bill and more convenient I think :)

Why not call Bangkok Hospital and ask them to send someone over? I think it's only about 4999 or 5999, they send a Doctor, Nurse, and EMT. They diagnose you in your room, give you meds, and that's that. Usually done in less than 30 minutes. If you have something serious then they can cart you away to the hospital.

When I had something akin to food poisoning (and this was really bad), they came over, gave me meds, and left. Cheaper than your bill and more convenient I think smile.png

That's useful info. Didn't know they did a 'call out' service. Ta. Will bear it in mind.

When I had something akin to food poisoning (and this was really bad), they came over, gave me meds, and left. Cheaper than your bill and more convenient I think smile.png

That's useful info. Didn't know they did a 'call out' service. Ta. Will bear it in mind.

I think the number is 1719. They speak English too.

I've personally witnessed how the pies in question get made. Some shoddy apartment room in Soi Bongkot. Couldn't be any dirtier and I doubt the person who makes them knows what a cooling chain is. You're gambling with your life here.