Birds in your garden

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Can you identify this bird please. Resident in my mango tree. Never ever see it no matter how long I look for it. 

Probably due to corona discharge/a spark or arcing across power lines/hardware and resembles birds chirping ... 

... true :coffee1:

Or ... time for new specs

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Can you identify this bird please.

Common Tailorbird. Small bird...big mouth. Taken in Chon Buri Province at Wat Tham Prathun. 

IMG_0352_edited.thumb.jpg.e13b7c7d2d1b55f00123d41e6bfcefe8.jpg

IMG_0360_edited.thumb.jpg.c4f498bafa847ef441cbf3570cdbf0b9.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Common Tailorbird. Small bird...big mouth. Taken in Chon Buri Province at Wat Tham Prathun. 

IMG_0352_edited.thumb.jpg.e13b7c7d2d1b55f00123d41e6bfcefe8.jpg

IMG_0360_edited.thumb.jpg.c4f498bafa847ef441cbf3570cdbf0b9.jpg

Thanks, and that makes sense as we've often see Tailorbirds over the years but never high up in the mango tree. As you say Small Bird Big mouth... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/8/2016 at 5:38 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Well I've learnt something today: birds like dog food.

Occasionally I've opened up over ripe (for us to eat) bananas and left them in the garden for the birds to eat but they didn't seem interested (I know the field rats love bananas so can't leave the bananas out over night).

Birds in my garden will peck at bananas but only the small sweet ones.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Probably due to corona discharge/a spark or arcing across power lines/hardware and resembles birds chirping ... ... true :coffee1: 

image.png.45a6107b1e121da212d5cb0fb2c445ed.png                                              

I hear the same all the time, when walking the dog along the 'main' road, almost every night, and not birds around ... trust me, or you'd have a photo of them.

Google is your friend  "why do power lines sound like birds chirping"

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

And why not, do you live in a hi-rise flipping pancakes all day for amusement/hobby...?..........🤔

OP is probably dead by now :cheesy:

8 years.

I'm pretty sure most people joining AN haven't 8 years left...

3 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

OP is probably dead by now

You quoted the OP in your first sad trolling attempt. He's posted a few time today. Alive & kickin'. 

1 minute ago, transam said:

And why not, do you live in a hi-rise flipping pancakes all day for amusement/hobby...?..........🤔

Beats talking about alcohol & hookers :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My daughter (12) has started to become interested in birds, taking photos and searching google, etc. for identification.

I know she would love to browse this thread but, obviously, I can't let her have access to Asean Now, with all its adult content.

Can anyone recommend a Thailand birds website/chat group that might be suitable for someone of her age. 

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

My daughter (12) has started to become interested in birds, taking photos and searching google, etc. for identification.

I know she would love to browse this thread but, obviously, I can't let her have access to Asean Now, with all its adult content.

Can anyone recommend a Thailand birds website/chat group that might be suitable for someone of her age. 

First and foremost...get her a field guide. 100x better than any website except maybe Birds of the World, which runs about $50 USD/year. The most recent and up to date guide is Lynx Birds of Thailand. Expensive but worth every baht. Get the softcover. Can order it from Asia Books, possibly. Can get it below if u order before 20 April.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/iJk64ybnUGwE4rKA/?mibextid=xfxF2i

There are other good, cheaper field guides...but outdated and many name and taxonomic changes have occurred since being published.

Here's a site by a friend of mine, Peter Ericsson.

https://www.pbase.com/peterericsson/birds_of_thailand

Also on FB I recommend Thaibirdspot

https://www.facebook.com/share/fBSEEaSqJ7muGXQf/?mibextid=A7sQZp

Chiang Mai Birders 

https://www.facebook.com/share/r4DasV85u2oCH77B/?mibextid=A7sQZp

And...Eastern Thailand Birding

https://www.facebook.com/share/b9f7vZo8LouS1hXp/?mibextid=A7sQZp

I have posted on all of them and they are totally bird oriented and kid friendly.

But really...get that field guide. The whole family will enjoy it. And get her a decent pair of 8x or 10x binoculars. There are over 1000 bird species in Thailand

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thanks 1

@chickenslegs 

Can buy this book from John for B2000, but offer him B1200-1500, which is a fair price. He's a well known name among Chiang Mai birding community. Trustworthy surely. It's a very good guide, tho somewhat outdated. I have one and still use it, tho LYNX is definitely my go-to. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/E3uhtm59NKaBCL7i/?mibextid=A7sQZp

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Google Lens is pretty accurate at identifying birds, as use it quite often, though does require a photo of.

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

@chickenslegs 

Can buy this book from John for B2000, but offer him B1200-1500, which is a fair price. He's a well known name among Chiang Mai birding community. Trustworthy surely. It's a very good guide, tho somewhat outdated. I have one and still use it, tho LYNX is definitely my go-to. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/E3uhtm59NKaBCL7i/?mibextid=A7sQZp

Great information in your posts, thanks a lot.

I've ordered the FIELD GUIDE TO THE BIRDS OF THAILAND from Asia Books (1,550 inc postage). We will have a look at all the websites you suggest.

Edited by chickenslegs
The cost of the book was 1,550, not 1,850.
  • Love It 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Google Lens is pretty accurate at identifying birds, as use it quite often, though does require a photo of.

She has been using her iphone to take pictures. If they are sharp enough, the phone automatically identifies the bird. It also logs the time, date and location (all this is new to me, as I only have a basic phone and hardly any apps).

PS- thanks for the pm too.

Edited by chickenslegs
Add a PS