A 40-degree summer of suffering coming after Songkran

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Udon, 40 yesterday, just a couple of weeks ago everybody wore jackets. As to Songkran, shove it! It may have been nice once, long before I ever got here or maybe before I even existed. I don't want a windshield broken by ice cold water and a chunk of ice, I don't want to be soaked just to get a beer. I don't want young son to spend weeks in the hospital because some drunk idiot ran over him. Screw Songkran! I'll be in the Philippines if I can afford it, if not, stocked up and watching movies at the house. I grew up in a family of farmers, make or break from one year to the next. My parents, aunts, uncles etc. got out but they knew what it was like to pick cotton. Small farmers don't make any money here and need every satang they can get. You want to cut water off to farmers? Cut it off to agribusiness. Oh, and Thailand and the rest of the world need to stop buying poison food from China and growing GMO. Agribusiness is bad business.

Irrigation of Golf courses should be banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if the golf course is using water stored in rention basins and is a 1,000 kilometres from (down hill) from the drought stricken areas?

People, Thailand has plenty of water, the issues is it is not spread out evenly over the entire country. The Issan pleautu has a lomg history of drought issues. Look at a <deleted> topographic map of the country and where the drought is (which is 2 years old now) occurring.

Desalination plants. What are you going to do, put the water on barges and float it up the Chao Praya river (which the last time I looked was still flowing at navigable levels) to the places that have water problems?

TH

Edited by thaihome

Just to backup my post a bit because people might not believe it

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/rice-fields-in-ayutthaya-affected-by-water-shortage/130283/

Here you can see some numbers to see its true what I am saying about 70% for farmers and if its this way in Ayutthaya it will be similar all over the country big cities excluded.

Now my claim about the economic value of Songkran spending.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/104031 22.8 billion in Bangkok alone so its a huge economic boost and well worth the water compared to farming.

I hope we now put the myth of Songkran being a waste of water both economically and water wise to rest and let the GOM's move on with there strange arguments.

I know one thing going to get my aircon's serviced soon well before the true heat sets in.

Yea you believe anything the spin doctors say! there is a water crisis not time for wasting it by throwing it around. Most Thais I know hate Songkran, or what it's turned into, as it's just a piss-up (mainly) for farangs these days.

I can't believe anyone would decry farmers who really NEED the water but as it's you I should not be surprised that you don't give a **** about farmers or the environment.

Unlike you I look at facts and economic value, you obviously don't like facts. The fact is that the water spend during Songkran has far more economic value as that spend on farming (meaning more Baht per liter water of economic value). So from an economics standpoint Songkran is important.

Now fairness standpoint.. farming uses 70%, normal households 10-20% so even doubling that would mean they use less water as farming uses all the time. So they have as much right on the water as the farmers. Now this is an important national holiday that generates loads of money and makes people forget their problems. That it is a water throwing festifal is what Thais made it. You as an foreigner can't complain about it as its Thais that choose it to be this and its their country.

Farmers were told not to plant.. they did anyway.. so why should the rest of the people suffer for the farmers greed ?

and you know what??? I dont give a flying **** you greedy, selfish SOB you might learn one day (unlikely), that farmers and the environment MATTER

"farmers were told not to plant... they did anyway" and "farmers greed" I cannot describe how ignorant you are as I would be be banned

"farmers greed"????????????????? they are trying to survive you ignorant *********** most do not have enough to put food on the table, educate their kids and YOU pontificate like this?

I must stop here or I'll be in trouble soon with the Mods but you are one ignorant farang ****

Let's see how Thailand will fare with superhot temps and a shortage of water. This summer is going to be interesting. Especially reading the lame excuses as to why there was no water after everyone threw it at each other for so many days during Songkran. Of course! The farmers will be blamed.

Not so strange as farming uses 70% of the water and household and industry the other 30%. Reported is that households use around 10-15% of the water and songkran will double that. Its still far of the 70% that farmers used on the Songkran days.

Everyone knows that Songkran gives the economy a huge boost and will earn much more on the water those days as farming. For those that don't believe it check Songkran spending. Also its a huge morale boost, only those grumpy old songkran haters use this to ban Songkran.

I got my figures from news articles on Thavisa so no guesswork here. Both the doubling of water use and how much farming uses was reported before. So instead of blowing hot air like some members who live in the past do i rely on facts.

Yes in the past Songkran was different but no matter how much old dinosaurs want it we live in the present and Songkran has changed to the water throwing weather you like it or not. I can say for a fact that in my village on the suburbs of BKK Songrkan is loved and played with a lot of water trowing. So Thais changed Songkran not foreigners.

made you happy attacking common sense?

Commons sense is giving more economical use of water (more baht per liter water earned) priority. That is what songkran is, als common sense is cutting the biggest users out first.. and that is farming. If they stopped the farming there would be plenty of water for households. 70%!!!!!!! farming 10-20% households.. so guess where the biggest saving is to be made.

Remember farmers were told NOT to plant a second crop. So they are at fault not the households.. and they would have to suffer because of farmers greed.. common sense my.....

Yeah just stop the farming. Simple. Then all the people of Isaan can just get awesome high paying jobs and live happily ever after. Your views about farmers and farming are quite clear as you repeat them ad nauseum on here. What isn't clear is what you propose all these people who only have their farms to survive living hand to mouth eternally are going to do when they just "stop farming".

I am sure Thaksin will be blamed for the heat and the shortage of water by some TV posters.

There you are...

Yea you believe anything the spin doctors say! there is a water crisis not time for wasting it by throwing it around. Most Thais I know hate Songkran, or what it's turned into, as it's just a piss-up (mainly) for farangs these days.

I can't believe anyone would decry farmers who really NEED the water but as it's you I should not be surprised that you don't give a **** about farmers or the environment.

Songkran turned into a piss up mainly for farangs - what utter complete nonsense. Although par for your course.

If you think Pattaya or Soi Cowboy are Songkran than that explains it.

Didn't notice your political doyens doing much in the reverse situation when they mismanaged the worst flood in 50 years. Just saw it as another money making opportunity for themselves whilst making sure they weren't inconvenienced. Don't expect much better this time. Cancelling Songkran wouldn't make much real impact on saving water - the action was required a long time ago, as was flood prevention and management.

But of course cancelling Songkran would be politically unthinkable as the Shins PR machine would have a field day - which you'd lap up no doubt.

You accuse someone of believing spin doctors but are only too willing to support the ones who spout crap for your favored clan. Or don't you really believe them either?

Duplicate post

Edited by Baerboxer

I am sure Thaksin will be blamed for the heat and the shortage of water by some TV posters.

There you are...

Songkran turned into a piss up mainly for farangs - what utter complete nonsense. Although par for your course.

If you think Pattaya or Soi Cowboy are Songkran than that explains it.

Didn't notice your political doyens doing much in the reverse situation when they mismanaged the worst flood in 50 years. Just saw it as another money making opportunity for themselves whilst making sure they weren't inconvenienced. Don't expect much better this time. Cancelling Songkran wouldn't make much real impact on saving water - the action was required a long time ago, as was flood prevention and management.

But of course cancelling Songkran would be politically unthinkable as the Shins PR machine would have a field day - which you'd lap up no doubt.

You accuse someone of believing spin doctors but are only too willing to support the ones who spout crap for your favored clan. Or don't you really believe them either?

See you still suffer from comprehension problems.

Must be awful to read something and draw a conclusion that has no meaningful basis, poor you.

Edited by Baerboxer

Just to backup my post a bit because people might not believe it

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/rice-fields-in-ayutthaya-affected-by-water-shortage/130283/

Here you can see some numbers to see its true what I am saying about 70% for farmers and if its this way in Ayutthaya it will be similar all over the country big cities excluded.

Now my claim about the economic value of Songkran spending.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/104031 22.8 billion in Bangkok alone so its a huge economic boost and well worth the water compared to farming.

I hope we now put the myth of Songkran being a waste of water both economically and water wise to rest and let the GOM's move on with there strange arguments.

I know one thing going to get my aircon's serviced soon well before the true heat sets in.

Unlike you I look at facts and economic value, you obviously don't like facts. The fact is that the water spend during Songkran has far more economic value as that spend on farming (meaning more Baht per liter water of economic value). So from an economics standpoint Songkran is important.

Now fairness standpoint.. farming uses 70%, normal households 10-20% so even doubling that would mean they use less water as farming uses all the time. So they have as much right on the water as the farmers. Now this is an important national holiday that generates loads of money and makes people forget their problems. That it is a water throwing festifal is what Thais made it. You as an foreigner can't complain about it as its Thais that choose it to be this and its their country.

Farmers were told not to plant.. they did anyway.. so why should the rest of the people suffer for the farmers greed ?

and you know what??? I dont give a flying **** you greedy, selfish SOB you might learn one day (unlikely), that farmers and the environment MATTER

"farmers were told not to plant... they did anyway" and "farmers greed" I cannot describe how ignorant you are as I would be be banned

"farmers greed"????????????????? they are trying to survive you ignorant *********** most do not have enough to put food on the table, educate their kids and YOU pontificate like this?

I must stop here or I'll be in trouble soon with the Mods but you are one ignorant farang ****

It's amazing that you do get away insulting any who post a different view to yours. Usually a sign of arrogance, ignorance and intolerance as well as the inability to discuss in an adult way.

If you think there are many in Thailand who really care about the environment or using resources intelligently you are off your head.

Water management, which includes agriculture, fisheries, drinking water, and wast water and sewerage treatment etc is and has been handled badly in Thailand for a long time. Just like in many other Asian countries. Add to that Thailand's unique ability not to be able to enforce and rules and regulations properly and the ever present corruption, and you have a poor state of affairs.

Management of water resources here is a challenge at the best times because of the aforementioned. This inability is magnified when climatic extremes cause floods or droughts.