Thai official claims no corruption in dredging of artesian wells

webfact

Official claims no corruption in dredging of artesian wells

167-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Groundwater Resources has brushed aside allegations that there is corruption in the dredging of artesian wells causing over 100 million baht in damages to the state.

The department chief Mr Supote Jirmsawatpong insisted on Wednesday that there was no corruption in the dredging of artesian wells because the department was responsible of doing the job itself and did not hire any contractors to do the dredging.

He was responding to a report from the Office of the Auditor-General claiming that 10-30 percent in under-the-table fees had been demanded from contractors by unscrupulous officials for contracts to dredge artesian wells.’

However, Mr Supote admitted that it was possible that some rural administration organisations might have demanded bribes from contractors.

Commenting on a press report that three companies were regularly awarded contracts by the department, Mr Supote said that the department engaged in business deals with more than 20 companies, including the three in question. But he pointed out that the contracts awarded to them had nothing to do with the dredging of underground water but in related projects such as the construction of pumping stations, installation of water tanks or water treatment system.

He disclosed that the department targeted to dredge 6,000 artesian wells this year, including 688 wells for schools, 1,311 wells for agriculture and 2,195 wells in drought-stricken areas in the Chao Phraya river basin.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/154325

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-10

I am interested in this claim that these 'wells" have been dredged;

I maybe wrong ( I am not an engineer) but I thought wells were dug or drilled ------not dredged.

If dredged would that not mean water was very near to the surface and not found at a significant depth?

I am aware of a few natural artestian wells but do they exist in Thailand ?

So Mr Department Chief, go after the local officials who demanded bribes! Prove without a doubt your department officials were not involved. Talk is cheap and easy from Thai Govt leaders such as yourself.

Edited by jerojero

There is no corruption !! OK !! Maybe he can tell us how many millions he parted with to get his top job.

No contract large or small gets awarded without kickbacks.

Any person who believes otherwise is living in la la land.

"The department chief Mr Supote Jirmsawatpong insisted on Wednesday that there was no corruption in the dredging of artesian wells because the department was responsible of doing the job itself and did not hire any contractors to do the dredging."

"However, Mr Supote admitted that it was possible that some rural administration organisations might have demanded bribes from contractors."

Some people should learn to keep their mouth shut if all they can do is contradict what they just said.

Edited by apetley

Drill Artesian well's, canals are "dredged".

"No corruption" cheesy.gif The official from the OAG should come up with the proof, Unfortunately that can at times be difficult without video evidence rather than accusation.

Be nice for our village to have an artesian well drilled, no water for 6 weeks now, wife n I are fine we have a bore, just fell for the locals.

"The department chief Mr Supote Jirmsawatpong insisted on Wednesday that there was no corruption in the dredging of artesian wells because the department was responsible of doing the job itself and did not hire any contractors to do the dredging."

"However, Mr Supote admitted that it was possible that some rural administration organisations might have demanded bribes from contractors."

Some people should learn to keep their mouth shut if all they can do is contradict what they just said.

No...it just proves that these people don't consider bribes to be part of corruption ;)

"... there was no corruption in the dredging of artesian wells because the department was responsible of doing the job itself and did not hire any contractors to do the dredging."

If you can't trust the word of a public official right before he drives home in his new Mercedes to his 6 bedroom mansion, whose word can you trust?

Almost any contract award here,in the private and Government sector,

from school milk to multi Billion contracts have a corrupt element,what

would surprise me is ,if it did not,

Of course no corruption was involved in dredging the wells, as the were DUG.

regards Worgeordie

I am interested in this claim that these 'wells" have been dredged;

I maybe wrong ( I am not an engineer) but I thought wells were dug or drilled ------not dredged.

If dredged would that not mean water was very near to the surface and not found at a significant depth?

I am aware of a few natural artestian wells but do they exist in Thailand ?

Probably a interpretation thing, but if not, they obviously don't know what they're doing.......so managing contracts??...........of course there's graft in place!

Commenting on a press report that three companies were regularly awarded contracts by the department, Mr Supote said that the department engaged in business deals with more than 20 companies, including the three in question. But he pointed out that the contracts awarded to them had nothing to do with the dredging of underground water but in related projects such as the construction of pumping stations, installation of water tanks or water treatment system.

Are we not splitting hairs here? OK so the backhanders were for "related projects such as the construction of pumping stations, installation of water tanks or water treatment system." ............ mislabelled corruption is not absent corruption!

Many years ago, there was a law passed that there would be no more pumping of underground water, in and around Bangkok. This practice was halted to stop Bangkok sinking. Like many other countries there are laws on the books telling us we can not do something then there are other laws telling us it is OK. Like the law passed during the administration of PM Chavalit, that window glass in automobiles could not be darkened, and limits were set. The police were even given gauges to test the darkness.