Unable to use Thai bank account overseas because need to verify transactions via SMS. How to fix?

I used to work in Thailand so have a bunch of accounts there.

During a holiday back home I realised I wasn't able to do anything online as I wasn't able to recieve the verification SMS that they send anytime you want to do something.

So on return to Thailand I asked them to remove this SMS verification, which they did.

However, after finishing work in Thailand and returning to live in the west I had a new problem. Now it tells me I need to sign up for SMS verification to use online... Transfers or buying flight tickets for example.

Now I have a new job working offshore I plan to stay in Thailand when on breaks so want to get paid onto my Thai account but need to get around this SMS thing as there will be times when I need to make transactions/transfers online.

Quite surprised not to see this when I looked on the forums.

In Australia we have "tokens" to get around this problem. It is a small device that generates a code from anywhere in the world. Rather than the SMS thing. Did some searching and from what I saw Thai banks don't have these.

Why not maintain a Thai mobile to receive those pesky SMS's, most of the providers do long validity plans so your number won't expire.

You can use the same phone when on break in Thailand.

I've not seen any of the Thai banks offering the tokens.

Is there any reason you cannot register a international number for SMS OTP?

Some Thai online banks provide other 2 factor authentication methods.

KasiKorn have a Smartphone app for Android and iPhone.
Some one recently said is only registers over a Mobile data connection and not over Wifi - you may want to check it out before relying on it

Kasikorn also have a second password option.

Is there any reason you cannot register a international number for SMS OTP?

Some Thai online banks provide other 2 factor authentication methods.

KasiKorn have a Smartphone app for Android and iPhone.

Some one recently said is only registers over a Mobile data connection and not over Wifi - you may want to check it out before relying on it

Kasikorn also have a second password option.

I will go to them first I think. I won't have an international number as I will be changing country so frequently.

I have a DTAC number that receives free roaming SMS. You can extend the life by 1 month every time you top up 60 baht or pay a few baht a month to keep. Works fine to do banking overseas.

I will enquire when i go to the phone shop tomorrow but sceptical I would be able to do that. My thai numbers seem to be assigned to someone new when i dont use them for a few months. Will double check though. Thanks

The phone number probably expires because you are not keeping enough credit on the phone. Normally, when you top up it will tell you how long the validity is, and when it will expire.

I have an AIS 1-2-Call that is registered for OTP's via SMS. I can receive SMS's in the UK for paying bills / making transfers online via my Thai bank account.

The good thing is, I can also top up the phone from my bank account when abroad.

I will enquire when i go to the phone shop tomorrow but sceptical I would be able to do that. My thai numbers seem to be assigned to someone new when i dont use them for a few months. Will double check though. Thanks

The phone number probably expires because you are not keeping enough credit on the phone. Normally, when you top up it will tell you how long the validity is, and when it will expire.

I have an AIS 1-2-Call that is registered for OTP's via SMS. I can receive SMS's in the UK for paying bills / making transfers online via my Thai bank account.

The good thing is, I can also top up the phone from my bank account when abroad.

Thats a good idea. I have done that in the past. I think it only works topping up 12call through bkk banks phone system doesn't it? Meaning I would have to use a bkk bank account and not a kasikorn or something.

Although I think just having a number inactive for over around 3 months deactivates it doesn't it? Regardless of whether it has credit?

Sounds like this can be solved with a bit of running around in bkk and tweaking a few things with 12call and the banks. Still a bit inconvenient having to change sims etc but better than nothing. I hope they decide to introduce tokens in future.

Thats a good idea. I have done that in the past. I think it only works topping up 12call through bkk banks phone system doesn't it? Meaning I would have to use a bkk bank account and not a kasikorn or something.

Although I think just having a number inactive for over around 3 months deactivates it doesn't it? Regardless of whether it has credit?

Sounds like this can be solved with a bit of running around in bkk and tweaking a few things with 12call and the banks. Still a bit inconvenient having to change sims etc but better than nothing. I hope they decide to introduce tokens in future.

you can top up your ais 1-2-call account through internet banking from anywhere. every thb 50 deposited gives you another month. you can access your ais via global roaming from oz (and probably lots of other countries). do you have a dual sim phone? if not, just get a cheapy to run your ais when you are abroad. do a banking transaction, switch it on... all hunky dory. works for me.

Kasikorn Bank has an app called K Secure for iPhone or android. It replaces the SMS OTP with a QR Code OTP.

You need a phone number registered with them and online banking to set it up in the first place, but after it's set up you just need an internet connection and a mobile device to authenticate.

I'm pretty sure you can top up your phone with most of the banks: SCB, K-Bank, Bangkok Bank etc. You just have to sign into your account online and look for the option.

Obviously the first thing you have to do is make sure that you have registered with your Thai Bank for internet banking.

I think that once signed in to your account online on your bank's website, you can turn ON/OFF the "send OTP (one time password) via SMS" option.

I just checked my AIS 1-2-Call credit *121#SEND and it is valid until 21/Feb/2017. Perhaps it might only give three months validity if you only top up THB100, but I put THB1500 on mine, so perhaps that's why I have a year.

Edited by phetphet

I have 2 Thai simcard. 1 postpaid with AIS and 1 prepaid with True. Both have international roaming. On AIS, i am using their internet service called "eservices". That give me access online to my AIS account, see my account status, consumption, pay my monthly bills online, see my current package and change package if i wish...

On True, with a prepaid sim, i can access also their website to topup directly online to refill my credit and ensure my simcard remain valid.

I can then have access to my Thai simcards wherever they have roaming ( at least in most Europe countries, most Asian, Africa and middle east i have been travelling).

I am using internet banking with Bangkok Bank and SCB. No problem using OTP wherever I am.

I can then also pay my phone bill or topup from my bank account.

Of course you need to ensure to register for international roaming before leaving Thailand with your operator, register on their online services (eservice for AIS and True online). Also the same about the bank. Make sure you register for the internet banking services

I am using more AIS as it is my main operator and i have a pospaid simcard. They have a customer service number which is free call even abroad and they are very helpful. I used to have problem sometime as i was not receiving sms abroad and couldn't get my OTP's. I called them from where i was. They fixed the problem, called me back later to make sure all was ok.

I am not using Dtac and others banks than the ones i mentioned but i believe they have the same.