Driving in Thailand without international permit?

Roxy01

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It maybe partly legal however it's most important that if you going to drive in Thailand you are fully covered for car insurance.that is the key point to have to decide if you think it's worth the risk you will he taking on the roads in Thailand.

Might be fine, till you have an accident. Your fault or not, you may very well find you are NOT Covered by any Insurance.

Just think of how things would pan out if someone with a Thai MDL rocked up in Oz and decided he was okay to drive?

Reckon the cops might take a very dim view of the matter.

Dude, IDP is like $39 at NRMA or whatever state you are from and takes 5 minutes

but it is only valid for 12 months so in 12 months time it is another 39 dollars for the NRMA .

Might be fine, till you have an accident. Your fault or not, you may very well find you are NOT Covered by any Insurance.

Just think of how things would pan out if someone with a Thai MDL rocked up in Oz and decided he was okay to drive?

A Thai tourist with a Thai DL is OK to drive in Oz.

Yup.. That's the words tourist.. I believe any one staying longer than 3 months is NOT classified as a tourist in Thailand and would need a Thai driving license.

Yup.. That's the words tourist.. I believe any one staying longer than 3 months is NOT classified as a tourist in Thailand and would need a Thai driving license.

Exactly. And in that case foreign DL is not accepted anymore, with or without IDP.

I rented a car from Sixt once and they accepted my Nordic drivers licence but I don't think it's perfectly legal. At least when I bought my own can I got the Thai licence immediately because the insurance company said they don't cover anything if you don't have a Thai licence.

Correct. So as long as you do a border run every 3 months you're ok on a real driving license. If you don't intend leaving every 3 months then get a Thai license.

I rented a car from Sixt once and they accepted my Nordic drivers licence but I don't think it's perfectly legal. At least when I bought my own can I got the Thai licence immediately because the insurance company said they don't cover anything if you don't have a Thai licence.

Yes, if living here a Thai DL is required, for tourists a foreign DL (provided in English and with photo) is perfectly legal.

Correct. So as long as you do a border run every 3 months you're ok on a real driving license. If you don't intend leaving every 3 months then get a Thai license.

Maybe, maybe not. That would clearly be a violation of the intention of the law, I have no idea how a court would react to that. Or maybe better, I would rather not be the person at the mercy of the court in a case like that.

Dude, IDP is like $39 at NRMA or whatever state you are from and takes 5 minutes

Whow !!! another Thai DL licence post. biggrin.png

Right on the money ( unthai..etc ), if not living here or not staying more than 3 months, Oz full DL licence along with the iDP is OK.

As you mention " what Oz state " a licence is needed for the state you reside in.

What needs to bear in mind is whatever Thai DLT throughout the country you go to, what do they except to issue a Thai DL.

Also you need the 5 year Thai DL for driving abroad, some countries may need the Thai IDP as well.

If you have Oz full DL licence and want a Thai DL licence you need a IDP with it, well our local DLT office does.

Not same for UK full DL credit car type with picture holders and some others because if the DL is in English and has the categories of vehicles clearly stated on the DL of which you are licence to drive.

Well, I just hired a car and Avis wanted a copy of my international license.. Insurance also stated its needed.. For the small cost of getting one, why risk anything if an accident accures

I hear you. Even faced with proof some posters maintain that it is not required. Tell them different and the belligerence starts. Let them do their thing, one day they will get bit. Show me a Link they say. Wonder what would happen if you printed off a Wiki page - tried to give that to the RTP or DLT or insurance company to show that you are in compliance ? Their Arrogance is only Surpassed by their Ignorance.

Well, I just hired a car and Avis wanted a copy of my international license.. Insurance also stated its needed.. For the small cost of getting one, why risk anything if an accident accures

this is the wording in my documentation from 'rentalcars.com' for my upcoming 'avis' rental:

Driving Licence

When picking the car up, the main driver and any additional drivers will need to provide a full driving licence in their name.

For drivers whose national licence has a photocard licence and a secondary paper counterpart licence, both parts will be required when collecting the vehicle.

UK drivers with the new-style photocard licence will need both the paper counterpart and photocard.

UK licence holders who have a paper licence only, will also need an official photo for identification.

International Driving Licence

An International Driving Licence is required if the driving licence is printed with non-Roman Alphabet.

Last year in Pattaya the police had every white faced foreigner on a motorbike at the police station paying a 400 Baht fine for not having an "International Driving License" and I was one of them. This was about 11am. They had a few Thais too for helmet violation.

The cops wont take a dim view of it at all, as they actually understand the rules in relation to driving in australia on foreign licence.

Avis & Budget accept foreign drivers licence for car rentals in OZ.

http://www.australia.gov.au/content/driving-with-an-overseas-licence

Legal maybe but my repeat personal experience is that in Pattaya the police road blocks do require an international license backed up by your own country’s license for you to escape the usual fine and even then you may be regarded as a liar and be told that you have false documents as I was by one European volunteer cop.

It maybe partly legal however it's most important that if you going to drive in Thailand you are fully covered for car insurance.that is the key point to have to decide if you think it's worth the risk you will he taking on the roads in Thailand.

My insurance company said they would accept a NZ license if I had an accident, however I think it is not legal to drive in LOS with a foriegn license.

I have hired cars before on a NZ license but if push came to shove the rental company might reneg.

I have a Thai license now which are pretty easy to get if you have an existing current license from most overseas countries, no driver test just eye sight and medical and a print out of the classifications on your existing license from the issuing country.

Yes, if living here a Thai DL is required, for tourists a foreign DL (provided in English and with photo) is perfectly legal.

Correct and you are also insured so I dont know what everyone else is talking about regarding no insurance if you dont have a Thai licence. I have been driving here for over 8 years on my Uk licence, stopped loads of times and never a problem. Also was fully covered by insurance on my father in laws Pick Up when a Thai driver hit the back of it. I have had my own insurance on cars here and they always gave full cover on Uk licence. What is the point of spending 500Baht buying a Thai one.

You will be fine few hundred Baht if stopped, but I heard recently you may have to serve jail as well, not sure though. But anyway if you not have a license and you come in an accident with fatal result then not having license and driving may become a murder.

Excellent responses thank you everyone ,did a little research on the Internet

"According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are. (See motoring law below) If you are a resident, however, you require a Thai drivers license. As a tourist, rental car companies, insurance companies and police will all accept your home license. Still, it not a bad idea to obtain a legitimately issued INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT (IDP) before you leave your home country."

So the consensus would be it is legal however there seems to be a chance you might get some issues from ill informed "persons"