School administration in Nakhon Phanom demands 4-year-old girl to undergo HIV test

webfact

A school administration in Nakhon Phanom demands a 4-year old girl to undergo HIV blood test

1403002-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A network of people affected with HIV/Aids has asked the Ministry of Public Health to investigate the administrators of a school in Nakhon Phanom who has forced a 4-year old girl to undergo a test for HIV/Aids.

The network president Mr Anan Muangmoonchai said the school administration has demanded the test because the girl’s parents were tested positive for HIV but they have no symptoms and carry on with their lives as normal with the acknowledge of people in the community.

He said that the parents whose names were withheld had shown to the school administration a doctor’s certificate clearing the girl of HIV infection but the school administration has demanded a fresh test.

Also, he added that the hospital in Nakhon Phanom declined to conduct the blood test claiming that the girl was tested negative before.

He pointed out that the girl’s case was a clear demonstration that there are still people in the society who still have misconception about HIV/Aids.

Meanwhile, Mr Nimit Thien-udom, director of Aids Access Foundation, said that the same girl was rejected when her parents applied for her to study at a pre-school child centre.

A complaint was lodged with the chief of the department of rural administration but to no avail as the department could not decide whether the centre’s rejection to accept the girl for study amounted to violation of her right.

Public health permanent secretary Dr Sopon Mekthon who accepted the petition from the network said that the public still need to be educated about HIV/Aids so they have a better understanding about the disease.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/155041

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-15

Idiots. But what does that picture have to do with anything? blink.png

It's a photo of Dr Sophon Mekthon (Dept of disease control (DDC) accepting a petition from reps from the Network of People affected by HIV protesting the school administration's ruling. Fairly relevant?

"He pointed out that the girl’s case was a clear demonstration that there are still people in the society who still have misconception about HIV/Aids."

That is the understatement of the year.

Despicable behavior and this from a school. If I had children on that school, I would find them another one. The ignorance is beyond belief.

Although I don't necessarily agree with forcing her to undergo testing! I can see the Thai logic in it. Aides takes months to show up in the blood. The girls parents are both afflicted with it so their is a better chance she has caught this disease from them. In school, children are in such close quarters with other students that it is more than just a slight chance that disease can be caught by another student if she has it. But here is the Thai logic. Schools worry more about what parents say than anything. They want parents to keep their kids in that school. Parents that know the girls family all have aides are probably threatening the director about removing their kids from class. The parents probably aren't educated about aides enough anyways. But the director is demanding this because he has had it requested by other students families. Being this is Thailand, ignorance brings about fears and their fears take hold to make unreasonable demands. Just remember how one tambon tried to relocate a small community full of aides victims before.

Despicable behavior and this from a school. If I had children on that school, I would find them another one. The ignorance is beyond belief.

Although I don't necessarily agree with forcing her to undergo testing! I can see the Thai logic in it. Aides takes months to show up in the blood. The girls parents are both afflicted with it so their is a better chance she has caught this disease from them. In school, children are in such close quarters with other students that it is more than just a slight chance that disease can be caught by another student if she has it. But here is the Thai logic. Schools worry more about what parents say than anything. They want parents to keep their kids in that school. Parents that know the girls family all have aides are probably threatening the director about removing their kids from class. The parents probably aren't educated about aides enough anyways. But the director is demanding this because he has had it requested by other students families. Being this is Thailand, ignorance brings about fears and their fears take hold to make unreasonable demands. Just remember how one tambon tried to relocate a small community full of aides victims before.

You do realise HIV can only be passed through intimate sexual contact or blood to blood contact don't you? So rather than "more than just a slight chance that disease can be caught by another student" the chance is just about zero in normal day to day life.

sadly irrespective of the results of the test the child will need another school without such ignorantly biased admin.

sadly patient confidentiality here is minimal outside some of the major private facilities.

"He pointed out that the girl’s case was a clear demonstration that there are still people in the society who still have misconception about HIV/Aids."

He also demonstrated total ignorance of, or lack of respect for the concepts of "confidentiality" and "privacy".

Since the child is 4 years old, it doesn't appear that she poses a threat to the public. There is no reason to make this a public issue.

If she is HIV positive, they can use this as an example, without identifying the area or the school where this occurred, . that HIV can exist in the youngest of children and it someone suspects that their child might be infected, they can go for testing.

There is absolutely no reason to turn this into a media circus and use this issue for a photo op.

Edited by jaltsc

DELETED

I really feel sorry for this little girl having to go through this for the rest of her life, whether she is or isn't HIV positive is nobody elses business.....tragic

Edited by seedy
derogatory

You do realise HIV can only be passed through intimate sexual contact or blood to blood contact don't you? So rather than "more than just a slight chance that disease can be caught by another student" the chance is just about zero in normal day to day life.

He is right, as when a school has an epileptic child. All teachers and students need to be aware of the condition and understand what to do in the event of a fit. The teachers and other students need to understand what to do in the event this child fell down and blood was coming out as extra precautions would be needed . If a second test confirmed she was clear, there would be no need for extra training. If it confirmed she had it, all of the children and teachers need to wear gloves and be a bit more careful in the event of an accident.

He is right, as when a school has an epileptic child. All teachers and students need to be aware of the condition and understand what to do in the event of a fit. The teachers and other students need to understand what to do in the event this child fell down and blood was coming out as extra precautions would be needed . If a second test confirmed she was clear, there would be no need for extra training. If it confirmed she had it, all of the children and teachers need to wear gloves and be a bit more careful in the event of an accident.

She's already been tested and is negative for the disease.

I would expect any educated person to wear gloves when treating someone with an open wound regardless of their known or not HIV status.

Of course i am aware of how this disease is passed on. If you actually read my post and understood it you would see that the first thing I said was I didn't agree with the testing. But just as I am aware of how aides is transmitted, Thais are not taught about this. They may know the name of it but don't know details concerning transmitting it. I was merely offering an opinion based on observations of how schools react to parental pressure.

I demand an MRI of administrators head to see is any substance is between ears. I taught in USA when AIDS hit... we eventually learned what should do, precautions etc. That was 30 some years ago. Dare we ask leaders to do any sort of up to date research? Simple guideline is "If it is wet, and not yours, don't touch it (without protection)"

In a documentry I saw the other day on HIV it is quite commom for children to have HIV passed on to them through contact with their HIV parents.

Children with HIV were persecuted at schools and had to go to special centres, this was in africa.

No doubt all this attention will mean the poor girl will be isolated and picked on at this school because everybody knows about it.

Precaution is needed but it seems the school had medical information that the girl was clear, now she will be a victim of the schools stupidity.

On the other hand I know of HIV positive couples in LOS that still pump out kids which is dangerous and stupid,one I know off has had 2 children and both were negative by luck alone it seems, but they could have been born positive as well according to doctors.

I think this is wreckless and selfish behaviour for HIV couples to bear children.

No matter what children of HIV parents even if negative will be strangers at school.

Of course i am aware of how this disease is passed on. If you actually read my post and understood it you would see that the first thing I said was I didn't agree with the testing. But just as I am aware of how aides is transmitted, Thais are not taught about this. They may know the name of it but don't know details concerning transmitting it. I was merely offering an opinion based on observations of how schools react to parental pressure.
Of course he read your post and was responding to your claim there is more than a slight chance to catch HIV if she is +ve. There isn't, the chance is so remote as to be zero. Edited by edwinchester

Your just as ignorant too. First, hiv is actually quite hard to catch. If a hiv+ person is bleeding you yourself would have to have a open wound for the contaminated blood to enter. Also if the hiv+ person is on ARV with an undectable viral load its almost impossible to infect others. People really need to get educated on this topic.

She's already been tested and is negative for the disease.

I would expect any educated person to wear gloves when treating someone with an open wound regardless of their known or not HIV status.

exactly correct, medical practitioners police teachers etc all have the potential of exposure to many things some more so than others, this little girl or her parents have no responsibility to disclose anything, some on here would maybe like to see a tattoo on everyones forehead detailing what they have, some very big foreheads required for that one i'm sure with a few on here, but that might not be a problem after reading some of the posts on this thread

The fact, that at least 2 people on this thread are not really aware, of how AIDS/ HIV is transmitted, shows that society is nowhere near educated enough on this matter!

...and now bring "Thailand" into the equation!

Madness ensues!

The parents were tested HIV positive? and show no symptoms and live normal lives.And the girl has tested negative.My God! get these parents into a laboratory,their blood could be worth millions.Flemings discovery of Penicillin all over again!

I think you need to get a bit more info for yourself on this before you get too excited....

Edited by cumgranosalum

In a documentry I saw the other day on HIV it is quite commom for children to have HIV passed on to them through contact with their HIV parents.....

On the other hand I know of HIV positive couples in LOS that still pump out kids which is dangerous and stupid,one I know off has had 2 children and both were negative by luck alone it seems, but they could have been born positive as well according to doctors.

I think this is wreckless and selfish behaviour for HIV couples to bear children.

No matter what children of HIV parents even if negative will be strangers at school.

HIV cannot be passed on by contact with parents plural. It can be transmitted from mother to child during birth or during breastfeeding. There are measures that can reduce the risk of this occurring to near zero, and many countries have eliminated or are close to eliminating mother to child transmission of HIV while still having plenty of HIV+ adults - many of whom become parents.

Since Thailand routinely tests pregnant women for HIV and places them on ART if positive, along with other measures, I doubt the fact that the children referred to were HIV negative had anything to do with "luck".