will Chiang Mai Songkran 2016 be cut short like in Bangkok?

Asiantravel

Let's hope it's cut to one day. Songkran is like a big Turkey dinner... The first night it's delicious, but having leftovers for the next three days gets really tiresome.

I thoroughly enjoy one full day of revelry amidst the crowds, But that's enough. It's a matter of gourmet vs gluttony.

Let's hope it's cut to one day. Songkran is like a big Turkey dinner... The first night it's delicious, but having leftovers for the next three days gets really tiresome.

I thoroughly enjoy one full day of revelry amidst the crowds, But that's enough. It's a matter of gourmet vs gluttony.

yes let's hope so! the government is encouraging people not to splash it around as usual but to simply pour it over the hands like they used to do in the old days. but I'm sure that will be totally unacceptable to the crews in the travelling pickup trucksbah.gif

"I wonder if they will cut the 3 days in CM to 2 days?"

Maybe they will shorten it from the 5+ days to 3 days. wink.png

Besides, not going to be any fun this year it would appear the culture police are going to be out. Guess I will have to hide my 'sexy muscles' this year. biggrin.png

Sexy Clothing, Dancing, and Biceps Banned this Songkran

CityNews – According to an article posted by Bangkok Coconuts, Chiang Mai officials have announced that all sexy, provocative clothing and ‘sexy dancing’ and ‘sexy muscles’ will be banned this Songkran to protect Lanna culture.

Chiang Mai Governor Pavin Chamniprasart announced on March 14, that any clothing that can appear suggestive when wet have been banned for this year’s Songkran festival in Chiang Mai.

Bangkok Coconuts also said this includes “X-ray pants”, see-through latex or plastic shorts that expose what is beneath. “If people wear these pants alone without underwear, it will be considered a public obscenity,” Pavin said.

For those hosting roadside parties and events during songkran, Pavin also warned that sexy dancing by men or women and the display of topless men will immediately result in the stage or party to be closed.

He also suggested that Chiang Mai people should wear traditional Lanna clothing during the festival to preserve the city’s heritage.

Read more at Bangkok Coconuts.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/sexy-clothing-dancing-and-biceps-banned-this-songkran/

I've had lots of ice water dumped on my head. Lots of it thrown at me from behind. But I've only had buckets of water HURLED directly into my face from a meter or two away... by foreigners. Never Thais. There ARE some things about Songkran that I could do without.

I wonder if they will cut the 3 days in CM to 2 days?

The article says cut down to 3 days in Bangkok.. So why would Chiang Mai only be two days?

Either way I'll be out there on the 11th or so, with other willing participants, and moderate volumes of water.

yes let's hope so! the government is encouraging people not to splash it around as usual but to simply pour it over the hands like they used to do in the old days. but I'm sure that will be totally unacceptable to the crews in the travelling pickup trucks:bah:

Ah.. the old days.

Sprinkle two thimblefuls of scented water on grandma's blessed hands..

No pick-up trucks..

... or throwing buckets at motorcycles ...

...or buses...

Wait.. What?

Oh.. blink.png

post-64232-0-54811600-1458059528_thumb.j

post-64232-0-28602100-1458059527_thumb.j

post-64232-0-64087100-1458059529_thumb.j

(This is before many of us were even born, much less arrived here. So let's retire the 'old days' story shall we? )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

You are not a Thai and it is a Thai holiday.

So what? He's allowed an opinion, don't be ridiculous.

^ True; Fortunately they reliably stick to the same area... always around Thapae gate, and Loy Kroh.

But you're right that this is a contributing reason why Songkran in places with too many Westerners really sucks. Like Pattaya.

(Not all Westerners of course, but there is a bit of a contingent that just doesn't do common sense. The same folks who are hell-bent on killing themselves at full moon parties and the like.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

You're absolutely right. Let's get back to the Thai custom of sprinkling water on someone's shoulder while wishing them a happy new year...

From my short time here in CM, it seems like it's really four days (although it doesn't seem quite as widespread on the first day). Is that a CM thing then?

The splashing always stops at night. I was told that traditionally it should stop at sunset. Has that now been extended for a few hours more?

Thanks!

Edited by helpisgood

I enjoy Songkran immensely, generally drive into town, park at Airport Plaza and take a songtaew to Chiang Mai market and walk to Moon Muang. Two days of being drenched and wearing flip flops is generally enough. I do encourage younger folks not to throw water directly in the faces of motorcyclists and to cease fire after 18:00. I won't be going this year, a personal decision, I won't waste water when there is so little available. Not advocating that others do the same, as they say "it's up to you".

From my short time here in CM, it seems like it's really four days (although it doesn't seem quite as widespread on the first day). Is that a CM thing then?

The splashing always stops at night. I was told that traditionally it should stop at sunset. Has that now been extended for a few hours more?

Yeah, four days pretty much. 12, 13, 14 and 15. That said, kids in the villages all over the North like to get an early start, and also in town on the after noon of the 11th you can see some activity in tourist areas, especially Loy Kroh at the moat end, and just around the corner.

As for nighttime: yes it really SHOULD stop when it gets dark. (not quite sunset, but really not too long after 7pm or so). I do note that in the tourist areas -again- the yobbo-contingent has missed that memo. So as late as 8 or 9 I would not go along Kotchasarn Rd/Loy Kroh in clean dry evening clothes.

Fortunately I'm completely spent by 8-9pm at my age and need to recover/recharge for the next day, so it's less of a consideration. And also in general during Songkran, it helps having a car. I think this may also be why the Pattaya crowd is so anti (even more than you'd expect given several unfortunate circumstances affecting Pattaya Songkran), it's because just about every sexpat retiree there seems to get around on a mopeds and baht buses there. Those are the ones that claim "I lock myself in with DVDs!" (yes they still have DVDs. wink.png )

But with a car you could even just bail out for one (or more) of the Songkran days and do relatively normal stuff, avoiding any of the party roads (moat, and Rincome Intersection) and roads leading up to it. It's not like people will be hitting you with bucketfuls in the Promenada parking lot, golf courses, non-inner-city restaurants, etc. (although... doesn't hurt to keep your eyes open. wink.png ) So the "I lock myself in for a week!" is mostly a bit of drama-queening, you know, as retired Farangs tend to do.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I wonder if they will cut the 3 days in CM to 2 days?

The article says cut down to 3 days in Bangkok.. So why would Chiang Mai only be two days?

Either way I'll be out there on the 11th or so, with other willing participants, and moderate volumes of water.

yes let's hope so! the government is encouraging people not to splash it around as usual but to simply pour it over the hands like they used to do in the old days. but I'm sure that will be totally unacceptable to the crews in the travelling pickup trucks:bah:

Ah.. the old days.

Sprinkle two thimblefuls of scented water on grandma's blessed hands..

No pick-up trucks..

... or throwing buckets at motorcycles ...

...or buses...

Wait.. What?

Oh.. blink.png

attachicon.gifSongkran 1967 5.jpg

attachicon.gifSongkran 1967 6.jpg

attachicon.gifSongkran 1967 2.jpg

(This is before many of us were even born, much less arrived here. So let's retire the 'old days' story shall we? )

Where is that Huay Kaew Road 1967? Wherever before they even attempted to lay proper pavements the soft shoulder was befouled with utility poles.

^ It's probably Huay Kaew / University area. Really wish I could find moat pictures from that era, although before goPro like cameras that would have been challenging. I do have much older pictures from back when the river/Nawarat/Thapae Road was a major venue.

For the past few years I have heard the same things but then for songkran nothing changed. Somebody complained about losing money and everything just went as usual. This is a time where we got to be responsible but we still can enjoy. If people would follow the local tradition then we would throw less water. So they don't need to cancel the water throwing but they should educate people to do it differently or old fashioned!!

I've had lots of ice water dumped on my head. Lots of it thrown at me from behind. But I've only had buckets of water HURLED directly into my face from a meter or two away... by foreigners. Never Thais. There ARE some things about Songkran that I could do without.

There has been times I have been tempted to go to where there are a lot of Farangs at Songkran (I am the only Farang in my village) just to

give a very hard punch in the face to the first adult Farang who throws a bucket of water at me.

This is not tongue in cheek, it is exactly what I would do.

Very true, so the Farangs who throw water at passing motorbikes, or start throwing water at other Farangs who are

not participating, deserve the violence, and it is violence, to be used against them in return.

That saying being is you are not Thai and for most Thais, it is let your hair down and get drunk, see old friends and family and have fun. I love the full three days and am in middle of it just about the whole time. Several bottles of Johnny and all my Thai friends and in all honesty, I have not had a better time anywhere in the world.

If your not up to it, stay in doors and just let the Thai people (an others) have a great time. No farang has the right to say otherwise an neither should they as it is not their (farang) festival by all rights.

We have a trip to Paris on the 19th ......IL's were?/are? supposed to come up for the festivities & we are usually at TaePae gate for 2 days....

I've suggested no go this year as we don't want to chance being sick before/during our trip....

But - the IL's have never experienced the holiday here....

Have to just see how plays out.....

And yes - it's always the clueless farangs that know no boundaries over the holiday...

That saying being is you are not Thai and for most Thais, it is let your hair down and get drunk, see old friends and family and have fun. I love the full three days and am in middle of it just about the whole time. Several bottles of Johnny and all my Thai friends and in all honesty, I have not had a better time anywhere in the world.

If your not up to it, stay in doors and just let the Thai people (an others) have a great time. No farang has the right to say otherwise an neither should they as it is not their (farang) festival by all rights.

Let's start off with the fact that I'm not 'telling' anyone what to do.

Neither am I stopping anyone from enjoying themselves.

That you need several bottles of whiskey to get through three days is entirely up to you. I enjoy a G&T in the evening... sometimes.

However, I DO most certainly have the right to express my opinion about it.

I thoroughly enjoy one day of the festivities, the music, the laughter, and camaraderie, etc., just as I enjoy a nice cake. I just don't enjoy eating it three meals a day for four days. That you do is fine.

I think I have an answer to the OP.. but it's in the publication that we can't mention.

So Google search is here: https://goo.gl/4AC1y7

In my own words: the mayor said nothing about any shortening. He did say that instead of draining the moat and refilling with fresh water like they usually do, they will treat the existing water, aerate and chlorinate it and top it up, then test the quality.

( So.. it'll be just like the old days, when nothing much was done with the moat water prior to the festival. wink.png )

Anyway that's just quoting the mayor. From personal (casual) observation: I've seen them completely drain the moat in some years, but I don't think they do this every year, or at least not fully. I think also in other years they go with the test, aerate and chlorinate route.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Let's start off with the fact that I'm not 'telling' anyone what to do.

Neither am I stopping anyone from enjoying themselves.

That you need several bottles of whiskey to get through three days is entirely up to you. I enjoy a G&T in the evening... sometimes.

However, I DO most certainly have the right to express my opinion about it.

I thoroughly enjoy one day of the festivities, the music, the laughter, and camaraderie, etc., just as I enjoy a nice cake. I just don't enjoy eating it three meals a day for four days. That you do is fine.

Don't worry, you have a opinion on just about everything here in TV where I do not an that is the difference between us is.

BTW, I do not drink. I just supply the contents as I am just a "camaraderie" type of guy an my partners business does well an for just a few short days, she can let her hair down an not worry about things for a while on a business sense.

I think most farangs do not understand how much pressure many Thai's are under and why Songkarn is such a special occasion. For some it is the only time they get to spend with their families as many will head home.