Thai businessman charged for fatal collision amid mounting criticism

webfact

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think they don't and won't have a jury system in this country

The police, prosecutors, lawyers and judges are all part of the elite and they take care of each other

You want to reform the system you are going to have to put the people in charge, but like political equality that will never happen in a country that:

Since 1932, when the absolute monarchy was abolished, Thailand has had 25 general elections and 19 coups d'état, 12 of them successful.

In terms of regime changes, I suppose this makes Thailand a democracy by a slim margin.

source:http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/thailand-s-19th-coup-underscores-country-s-fatal-flaw-1.2658846

The suspect has the right to refuse tests??? After he killed two people? Really? What law is this?

Would have walked away a free man had his dad dabbled in energy drinks instead of luxury cars. Just saying...

I think that two men refused to take DNA tests on the Koh Tao murders and were allowed to walk away, until later after much bad publicity, a 'bogus' test was done in front of the media. AS expected, there was no match !

yes, you nailed it.

Crimes, like manslaughter or second-degree murder, are just that, crimes and are, or should be, under the control of the state prosecutors and police. How long he spends in jail has nothing to do with how much he pays to the families.

What the man pays to the families of the people he killed is a civil matter, and should be settled in a civil trial or negotiation between an attorney for the families and the man who killed the people. The police should not be involved in this part at all. In the U.S., there would be no problem for the families to find a kick-ass law firm to take the case on a contingency basis (they get a percentage,usually 33%, of the settlement amount).

There was a post from a high-ranking government official a couple of days ago about what Thailand needed to do to become a "developed" country. Sorting out the justice and legal system would be pretty high up on the list, I think.

In one article, reported a new investigating team was appointed by National police deputy commander Pongsapat Pongcharoen & previous investigating officers were transferred to "inactive posts"...... as Maxwell Smart would say "Not, the old inactive post trick, Chief"!!

There must enough Police/Govt Employees, etc in "inactive posts" that could be used as power posts to create a new power grid for whole of Bangkok!!

Expect a lenient sentence after several years of wrangling in the legal system.

It's hard for people from the West to digest the fact that things like this do not result in jail time in Thailand.

It does get jail time if it is a foreigner and not a Thai

Probably you are right, however my problem is not with the particulars of this case or the level of guilt if the <deleted> being pursued. It's the fact that a prescedent is being set.

What if next time the campaign fails due to the fact the accused are innocent and some vigilante decides its time for street justice. They don't know the facts but lots of people say he/she is guilty and they act on that assumption.

It's already happened in the uk and no doubt elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I think this guy is guilty but the whole trial by social media is something that worries me.

What's more is that unless there is root and branch reform of the BIB there will be more of this type of campaign and someone judged guilty by netizens but in reality innocent will be hurt.

If not social media, what option is there? By all accounts the police had already given up by the time it came up on SM.

Despite the reform agenda, we have already been told there will be no reform of the police.

Again something with anyone with half a brain cell knew at the start of the 'reform' stuff. (apologies to Baerboxer etc)

I appear to be a minority here but the fact is, for me at least, that trial by social media is wrong. Yes the BIB are a bunch of inept, lazy, corrupt, useless <deleted>. That's not in doubt, however social media is not the answer.

Reform is the only answer. The fact this govt won't implement it does not make it any less correct.

If the netizens (oh how I hate that term) want to do something useful then campaign for that.

For as long as it takes.

No matter how long or arduous the journey is.

If they want justice then that's what they have to do.

It's a lot harder to do but it's the only answer.

It is wrong I agree but there is little else available to get the point across s we all know if it wasnt for social network it would be ignored

The frantic double death driver, nothing will happen to him.

Latest in 3 weeks he will once again sit behind the wheel and race down the highways.

He is rich, he is untouchable.

Comparable cases, there are plenty of them.

That I doubt, seems at least one set of parents have the right connections.

Of course if someone who had witnessed the accident, walked up to the driver and punched him in the face or even gave him a hard push, that person would already be locked up. Just as many people may be served with defamation suits for criticizing this man. One law for the masses and a payment schedule for the rest.

Probably you are right, however my problem is not with the particulars of this case or the level of guilt if the <deleted> being pursued. It's the fact that a prescedent is being set.

What if next time the campaign fails due to the fact the accused are innocent and some vigilante decides its time for street justice. They don't know the facts but lots of people say he/she is guilty and they act on that assumption.

Don't get me wrong, I think this guy is guilty but the whole trial by social media is something that worries me.

What's more is that unless there is root and branch reform of the BIB there will be more of this type of campaign and someone judged guilty by netizens but in reality innocent will be hurt.

If not social media, what option is there? By all accounts the police had already given up by the time it came up on SM.

Despite the reform agenda, we have already been told there will be no reform of the police.

Again something with anyone with half a brain cell knew at the start of the 'reform' stuff. (apologies to Baerboxer etc)

I appear to be a minority here but the fact is, for me at least, that trial by social media is wrong. Yes the BIB are a bunch of inept, lazy, corrupt, useless <deleted>. That's not in doubt, however social media is not the answer.

Reform is the only answer. The fact this govt won't implement it does not make it any less correct.

If the netizens (oh how I hate that term) want to do something useful then campaign for that.

For as long as it takes.

"I appear to be a minority here but the fact is, for me at least, that trial by social media is wrong."

In theory yes, but in a country where money and connections can literally have you get away with murder I'll take any justice I can get. And you're wrong; it's not trial by social media, it's social media putting pressure on a police force that's (let's just say) not widely known for its competence and morals.

Since willingness for any meaningful reform was/is totally lacking in past and present governments I must say I applaud (or rather gloat) every time one of these entitled, smug, superior <deleted> get caught out.

Three cheers for social media!clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I'll enjoy these moments while I can until a certain cantankerous individual shuts it down.

For as long as it takes.

"I appear to be a minority here but the fact is, for me at least, that trial by social media is wrong."

In theory yes, but in a country where money and connections can literally have you get away with murder I'll take any justice I can get. And you're wrong; it's not trial by social media, it's social media putting pressure on a police force that's (let's just say) not widely known for its competence and morals.

Since willingness for any meaningful reform was/is totally lacking in past and present governments I must say I applaud (or rather gloat) every time one of these entitled, smug, superior <deleted> get caught out.

Three cheers for social media!clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I'll enjoy these moments while I can until a certain cantankerous individual shuts it down.

I'm sorry but it is trial by social media.

For as long as it takes.

It is wrong I agree but there is little else available to get the point across s we all know if it wasnt for social network it would be ignored

Seems the French sorted out their problem quite effectively in the closing of the 1700's, and without the benefit of social media.

Remember, a revolution is vastly superior and more effective than the soldiers boys playing at a coup.

Someone said earlier, the times they are a changing.

@ Bluespunk

"It's still trial by social media"

I think you should take time out to think about the difference between an investigation and a trial. Without social media the investigative part of this tragedy would likely have been subjected to the usual tinkering and ringing of the cash register by the police, which would have swept any form of criminal trial under the carpet. There is clearly enough evidence for this case to go to trial, which might yet happen despite the best efforts of the police and the driver's father.

With regard to your suggestion that reform is needed in preference to interference by netizens, do you honestly believe this government would ever take any notice of what the populace wants. Maybe the opportunity is there for suggestions to be made about reform, as with the new Constitution, but I don't think many folk would relish a visit by the 'thought police', after first of all requesting permission to hold a meeting to discuss the matter.

@Artisi

You said

Seems the French sorted out their problem quite effectively in the closing of the 1700's, and without the benefit of social media.

Remember, a revolution is vastly superior and more effective than the soldiers boys playing at a coup.

Me

You might want to site a better example than the French Revolution which descended into a bloody reign of terror where no one was safe from false accusation. An event that led to the rise of napoleon and almost continuos warfare for 20 years. Warfare that led to forced conscription of young men and devastation for a whole generation of the country.

Edited by Bluespunk

@Artisi

You said

Me

You might want to site a better example than the French Revolution which descended into a bloody reign of terror where no one was safe from false accusation. An event that led to the rise of napoleon and almost continuos warfare for 20 years. Warfare that led to forced conscription of young men and devastation for a whole generation of the country.

Without side-tracking the thread, I agree that what followed wasn't all that nice - but the long term effect was undeniably worthwhile.

You can't make a omelette without cracking a few eggs.

Do you think that without this enormous pressure from social media and this now becoming such a high profile case now because of it that ANY charges would have been laid?

But a continued campaign via social media against those in authority might force the issue...

Reform haha... That's just not going to happen... Sack of lock and the guilty and there would be no one left... Top to bottom.... And replace with who.?

It's inherent in Thai culture...it's going to take generations...

So name and shame is the only viable alternative...

Do you think that without this enormous pressure from social media and this now becoming such a high profile case now because of it that ANY charges would have been laid?

But a continued campaign via social media against those in authority might force the issue...

Reform haha... That's just not going to happen... Sack of lock and the guilty and there would be no one left... Top to bottom.... And replace with who.?

It's inherent in Thai culture...it's going to take generations...

So name and shame is the only viable alternative...

Lots of talk etc, but even with all that i bet nothing will happen to this guy. Lots of talk and it will gradually fade away much like the Red Bull case.

The Red Bull guy is back in Bangkok regularly and nothing is ever said or done, even by papers like the Nation or BP (i would hesitate to speculate the reasons why they don't try and follow up) I expect he might have flown out again now however when it could potentially heat up.

"He declined to be tested". Only in Thailand! gigglem.gif

It is not unknown in the US in several jurisdictions that one may decline to be tested. It is regarded pretty much as a prima facie admission of impairment, however, and often results in DUI conviction anyway, with additional penalties for the refusal.

Unless, of course, you are sufficiently influential, e.g. a Kennedy?

Investigation, trial and punishment by social media.

Madness

I would say rather that social media put the necessary spotlight on the issue so the BiB HAD to take action.

Been over this time and time again on this thread. Read on if you want to know my response.

He declined to be tested for alcohol WHAT!!

How can the police justify that?

Oh sorry he was driving a Merc. He has plenty of brown envelopes at his office.

Maybe that is what they thought.

Four days past and now they are filing charges. I guess the brown envelopes they were expecting got lost in the mail.

I'm guessing there is lost and then there is really lost. More than likely they'll be found eventually.

Well well, the supa dupa genius that is Smutcakes, defender of all things Shin and king of hindsight, re-written history and clouded memory.

No need to apologize for your inadequacies - they're expected.

Now show me where I ever said the current government would reform the police? Go on click that planet sized brain into action.