Romney says he will vote for Cruz in Utah caucuses

rooster59

Romney says he will vote for Cruz in Utah caucuses

The Associated Press

Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney says he will vote for Texas Sen. Ted Cruz in the upcoming caucuses in his home state of Utah.

Romney wrote on his Facebook page Friday that the contest is "between Trumpism and Republicanism," referring to front-runner Donald Trump. He said the billionaire businessman's name has become associated with "racism, misogyny, bigotry, xenophobia, vulgarity and, most recently, threats and violence."

Romney earlier this month called Trump "a phony" who is "playing the American public for suckers."

A number of Republican officials have shown their support for Cruz in recent days while falling short of endorsing the senator, who is currently in second place in the race for the party's nomination.

Utah is one of four contests scheduled for Tuesday. Early polling shows Cruz leading among the state's predominantly Mormon voters.

Trump currently leads his rivals overall, having won 678 delegates in contests held thus far, according to a count by The Associated Press. Cruz is in second place with 423 delegates, and Kasich is in third with 143.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-03-19

The last time Romney made his big speech against Trump, Trump's poll numbers went up. Even right after the Pope attacked Trump, Trump went on to win Romney's home state of Massachusetts by 49% - more than Rubio, Kasich and Cruz combined.

I wonder how much Trump is paying Romney and the Pope for all this help?

Utah is heavily Mormon as is Romney. Romney looks like one of those stupid little Mormon boys who knock on your door, but never grew up. Romney might have some sway in Utah, but he didn't in his home state of Mass. where he was governor.

Cruz is an extremely unappealing sort of human being. If he's the last hope to stop s Trump nomination and clearly he is the republican party process has failed.

Yeah, and it speaks volumes that Romney, a Mormon, would ever support such a guy. Mormons, though always reliable, if not dogmatic, patriots (there are per capita more of them in the CIA than any other religion I believe) and usually always Republicans, are generally disdained by Evangelicals who think Mormons are heretical because Mormons believe God gave their Mormon prophet Joseph Smith messages from a Gecko, etc. tongue.png

But Romney is using Cruz as a tool to get the open convention and then, with the GOP establishment blessing, either have himself anointed as nominee, or someone like Kasich or Ryan.

Yes not supporting Cruz but as realistically it's going to be Trump or Cruz and given how creepy Cruz is that greatly weakens the chance of the stop trump movement even with a contested convention. It's probably time to presume his nomination and get ready for a long hot summer.

If Kasich was in Cruzs' position now he would have an excellent chance. But he isn't.

Edited by Jingthing

Trump at a recent rally in Salt Lake City:

Do I love Mormons? I have many friends that live in Salt Lake City -- and by the way, Mitt Tomney is not one of them ... Are you sure he's a Mormon? Are we sure?

Is Trump sure that it takes an Evangelist to know?

Here in the US I have even stopped watching the news, every time I turn on the news Chanel,

any news channel, they are talking about Trump. It is getting ridiculous. I am sure there are things still happening around the world, but we will never know.

CNN new slogan, Al Trump all the time. I guess it's like a bad car accident where people cant stop them selves from looking.

What a choice? Trump or Clinton.

If that's the choice I am staying out of this and on general election, I will vote against Trump go home, wash my mouth, take a long shower and try to wash the Clinton off from me.

I plan on writing in Bernie Sanders as my choice. The rest of them are simply tools of money politics who will do nothing for the average person. It appears the only thing that will stop this charade in the future is another American Revolution.

Mr. Milk Toast is going to vote for Cruz. Last week he was fundraising for Kasich. Angling

hard for a contested convention so he can be drafted onto the ticket. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Mr. Milk Toast is going to vote for Cruz. Last week he was fundraising for Kasich. Angling

hard for a contested convention so he can be drafted onto the ticket. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I don't think he is angling for a nomination at an open convention, he had his chance and I think he knows it.

I dont even think he is concern about a president Trump, though I am sure he is concerned about the damage the Trump side show is causing the Republican party.

I think he is more concerned with a President Hillary, or Bernie, which is what a Trump nomination will cause.