Why is it that thai drivers never slow down for pedestrians

karl2007

Asians as a collective are inherently selfish, particularly when driving and they have little or no respect for life. I'm in Cambodia. Some <deleted> nearly took out my wife on her bicycle yesterday, all he had to do was slow down a little. There are generous personalities among them, my wife is one and there are others that work for me, but generally it's me me me me me..........

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine emailed me a few days ago, got caught walking on a pedestrian crossing against the red light. Fine was over $100. I drove through a pedestrian crossing (no pedestrians on it) in Adelaide, got fined over $300 and that was 7 years ago.

You lost me - why would you have to stop if no one crossing the road ? Or is it the law to stop for them all ?

Somebody had already crossed but the lights were still red. I jumped the gun and paid the price.

I think we got confused between a pedestrian crossing which has lights, and a zebra crossing which in the UK and probably Australia does not have lights.

There are zebra crossings in Thailand where there are traffic lights, I have never understood that. Why should a pedestrian be crossing the road when the lights are at green for the traffic

unless the road is clear?

Because if they slow down, they fear getting rear-ended. Everyone tail-gates here.

I certainly don't tailgate here, and neither do a lot of people I know. Best way to deal with tailgating is to pump the brakes a little. It sends a strong message - Back off!

or put the hazzard lights on for a few seconds.

Friend of mine emailed me a few days ago, got caught walking on a pedestrian crossing against the red light. Fine was over $100. I drove through a pedestrian crossing (no pedestrians on it) in Adelaide, got fined over $300 and that was 7 years ago.

You lost me - why would you have to stop if no one crossing the road ? Or is it the law to stop for them all ?

Did you pass your test? If any traffic light is on red you cannot proceed.

whistling.gif

It's quite simple as are the populace too!

Thai are chronically IMPATIENT and hate waiting for 1 second for anything.

Hence the carnage on the roads as they take a chance instead of waiting only 1 second!

You see it everywhere .... in shops they stand waiting ( unless they push in front.....looking puzzled....why am I waiting!

In a lift ( Elevator for any Yanks reading this ) they always press the CLOSE doors button again to save 1 second.

So Dumb!blink.png

that does sum most of them up. they also press the 'open door' button before the lift reaches the floor.....as if the doors going to open mid floor and let them jump out.....

Because if they slow down, they fear getting rear-ended. Everyone tail-gates here.

I certainly don't tailgate here, and neither do a lot of people I know. Best way to deal with tailgating is to pump the brakes a little. It sends a strong message - Back off!

I start my emergency flashers, which get a little more attention than just the brake lights. Over 50% of the tailgaters back off. However, about 5-10% of the tailgaters become more aggressive: start honking, get even closer, or pass dangerously (on a hill or curve) and then cutting in so sharply I have to hit my brakes to avoid a collision. It's a gamble how they're going to react. The latter group--hellbent on their tailgating behaviour--see the flashers or even tapping your brakes as a challenge to their self-endowed right to tailgate. So "sending a message" has its uncertain results.

Edited by Fookhaht

It's simple, really. All over Asia, not just in Thailand, the rule is this: the bigger vehicle has the right of way, and smaller vehicles must defer. Period. Think how low one is in this hierarchy when you're on the road (walking) without a vehicle at all...

in vietnam they will move and you cross in traffic.

theres an ego (pride) thing in thailand that does not exist in other asian countries.

I am talking about left turn on red.

A busy intersection I use often.

The traffic just keeps coming, full speed, during the entire time the light is red.

Not talking about rushing in the beginning of the red.

So as a pedestrian you wait for the red hoping it will be safer to cross then, and in some ways, it's less safe.

The red light is seen as a suggestion only

post-108400-0-84593700-1458544402_thumb.

Well. now...the truth of the matter is you are and or will be taking your well being or life into your own hands if you cross a cross walk and get hit.

The reasons are many:

1 : They do not give a flying Fxxx about anyone but themselves when they are driving as they need to get to where they want to go and do it as fast as possible so pedestrians are considered a nuisance and in the way.

When they have to stop or give way they only do so when forced to do so while very, very seldom out of kindness and vehicle operators decorum.

ie: They had to stop anyhow because the traffic is backing up so they stop short of their usual 1 foot gap between the back of the other vehicle and leave a 2 foot gap and then they hand signal you and wave you through the pedestrian walk as if they own it and they are giving you permission to cross in front of them....while I do not doubt they expect you to Wai them for giving you some space to squeeze between their car and the car in front of them....while their car is stopped smack right in the middle of the cross walk that they have ignored once again and never have seen one or acknowledged one in their entire driving career.

2: They drive based on a: Monkey See ..Monkey Do Mentality as they observe no one else stops for pedestrians until they are more or less forced because they do hot have any more room to maneuver around you...but if they do..... they will go for it and you will be considered in the wrong by way of their Thai mentality if they hit you...in the cross walk.

3: No one ever educated them to stop for pedestrian crossings...or certainly not effectively educated them in any significant or meaningful way as no one stops for pedestrians unless they are forced to or have to.

4: When behind the wheel of any kind or type of motor vehicle they believe they have precedent over other vehicles and especially precedent over pedestrians coupled with a Me First attitude about driving.

The larger the vehicle or more expensive (say a Mercedes Benz ) gives them the right to do as they please including not stopping for pedestrians because they are driving a car and it is an expensive car, during the time they encounter you and all other pedestrians....while their social hierarchy mentality is in the "full on" mode when they are driving.

5: They are big risk takers when driving while they do not worry about what may happen rather they do not want to think about what may happen as that is something that is not needed or necessary( just clutters up their mind ) ..rather if it happens then they will think about it then...So.... as far as they are concerned it will never happen..to them.

Defensive driving is NOT part of their mentality, rather just go for it as usual or go for it more aggressively if their mood dictates their driving conduct ......moment by moment as they drive.

6: No matter what happens their driving mentality is such that they believe they are not at fault or to be faulted before or during or after the collision and they are prepared to argue that long before the accident would or could happen...as it will be someone else's fault because they actually consider themselves to be good drivers because they skillfully sped past you and narrowly missed hitting you while they are thinking to themselves: "Now that is / was some damn good and skillful driving I just performed"...In their mind that is ..while stopping would be considered amateur...In their minds that is.

There is more...but I think you get the point.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Law of economics . It costs nothing for a pedestrian to stop and wait , it costs a lot for motorvehicules to stop and drive off again. Look at your gas/diesel comsumption meter as you drive off from stopping. In my stupid country , you have to stop when a pedestrian comes near a crossing , so 1 to 20 vehicules (or more) have to brake and drive again for 1 pedestrian ( or bicycle) ...ridiculous , insane ! Be glad you live in Thailand ! I don't stop for pedestrians either. They are the lowest in the traffic food chain. ( I stop for dogs & cats though).

This has got to be either a troll post, or someone with Thai mentality.

Pedestrians have the right to cross the road.

IMO. Zebra crossings should be done away with and replaced with pedestrian lights, then

both the driver and the pedestrian have an equal chance. This would apply in Western countries also.

It must be the Thai mentality rubbing off on me. I'm pretty selfish but not so selfish to expect or want motorists to stop for me when I cross the street on foot. I know my place as a pedestrian. Even back in the nanny/police state , I often signal drivers to pass and not stop for me. Stopping and waiting costs me no energy just a little time as a pedestrian.

Not true of all Thai drivers. Many times I have been crossing the road and a Thai driver has stopped and let me cross.

You can consider yourself a fortunate one as I have been here for 27 years now.

When I deliberately stand at a cross walk and wait for the cars to stop, 99.9 percent of the time they never stop specifically to let you cross the road...rather they are slowing down anyhow because the traffic is backing up or about to slow down and come to a stop anyhow.

Not to say your post is not true...rather I am wondering when I will encounter it as often as you do....you lucky dog you.

I may start to wear some monks robes in hope of them stopping for a monk...lol

Cheers

I had lots of problems when i lived in BKK trying to cross a main road near where i lived, and not only crossing the road walking on the footpath crossing the entry to a local supermarket at least 3 times , one time one big black Toyota 4WD tried to push me off the footpath, the Thai got the closest deadliest stare i could muster....

On my very last day in BKK after living there one year 4 hrs before i was to leave to catch my flight home i was run down by a motor bike crossing a zebra crossing mind you the cars had stopped and i was out front of at least 30 people crossing this crossing, the bike took me down and he hurt me, i was limping for a week after that, I'm happy to say that the impact on my body made his red bike useless, the rider had to leave it behind when he left.

Its very obvious to me why Thais drive the way they do, little to no police presence on the road, they could triple it and it still wouldnt make a dint, they should Check out Australia, fixed speed cameras everywhere, many roving speed cameras daily, big police presence on the road, highway patrol cars on all highways and you see them often, Every police car is high tech now, they can zoom in on your registration plate and within moments know every detail of the driver/owner.

When they wake ups to the revenue that could be made from traffic fines then you might see some sort of clean up, me when i move back I'm out of BKK and I'm living within easy walking ready of everything i need, no way am i going to buy a car there.

l don't own a car or bike in Thailand & l'm not going to!

Law of economics . It costs nothing for a pedestrian to stop and wait , it costs a lot for motorvehicules to stop and drive off again. Look at your gas/diesel comsumption meter as you drive off from stopping. In my stupid country , you have to stop when a pedestrian comes near a crossing , so 1 to 20 vehicules (or more) have to brake and drive again for 1 pedestrian ( or bicycle) ...ridiculous , insane ! Be glad you live in Thailand ! I don't stop for pedestrians either. They are the lowest in the traffic food chain. ( I stop for dogs & cats though).

This has got to be either a troll post, or someone with Thai mentality.

Pedestrians have the right to cross the road.

IMO. Zebra crossings should be done away with and replaced with pedestrian lights, then

both the driver and the pedestrian have an equal chance. This would apply in Western countries also.

It must be the Thai mentality rubbing off on me. I'm pretty selfish but not so selfish to expect or want motorists to stop for me when I cross the street on foot. I know my place as a pedestrian. Even back in the nanny/police state , I often signal drivers to pass and not stop for me. Stopping and waiting costs me no energy just a little time as a pedestrian.

As a pedestrian, I always expect vehicles to stop for me on a red light at a pedestrian crossing.

and as a driver, I would always stop on a red light for a pedestrian. It's nothing to do with anyone being selfish.

Really? Watching families with small children and/or the elderly putting their lives at risk just to cross the street in a marked crosswalk is a good thing because we wouldn't want to inconvenience a driver for a few seconds?

A bit of petrol and a few moments of lost travel time have more value than that of a human life?

That sounds like the definition of insanity to me.

My thinking exactly. If the crowd that is worrying about increased fuel consumption would be hit by a moron-driver and ends up in Hospital for 2 weeks and could disclose how much of the Hospital cost were covered by the moron-driver should not hesitate to report back here.

That would make for interesting reading.

Cheers.

Not true of all Thai drivers. Many times I have been crossing the road and a Thai driver has stopped and let me cross.

You can consider yourself a fortunate one as I have been here for 27 years now.

When I deliberately stand at a cross walk and wait for the cars to stop, 99.9 percent of the time they never stop specifically to let you cross the road...rather they are slowing down anyhow because the traffic is backing up or about to slow down and come to a stop anyhow.

Not to say your post is not true...rather I am wondering when I will encounter it as often as you do....you lucky dog you.

I may start to wear some monks robes in hope of them stopping for a monk...lol

Cheers

I have been here for 33 years this year. I do notice a marked difference when I go into Bangkok city (I live in the suburbs). There thy wont let you cross.

I think it is the same mentality that makes them drive so aggressively—they have to be first, they do not want to slow down, they would rather make the others slow down or stop so they do not have to. That is why they simply merge into traffic instead of looking first, why they make three lanes out of two, and why they force the oncoming traffic to pull to the left so they can overtake in your lane.

I see it as the mentality of water; anywhere there is an open space, they must fill it.

Have you ever stopped to let a Thai pedestrian cross? It's almost humorous. They are very reluctant to cross, almost as if they think you will wait until they get in front of you; then run them down. And, if you do stop for them, forget about any Thai drivers behind you stopping too; they will invariably swerve around you and make the pedestrian stop for them.

I noted a similar driving ideology in Iran. In fact, I was told it was Iranian traffic law; in any accident, if your bumper was in front of the other car, they were at fault, because you were there first. I guess you could stretch that thought for farangs in Thailand and say; if you were not here, the accident would not have happened. Obviously, you’re at fault.

I think it is the same mentality that makes them drive so aggressively—they have to be first, they do not want to slow down, they would rather make the others slow down or stop so they do not have to. That is why they simply merge into traffic instead of looking first, why they make three lanes out of two, and why they force the oncoming traffic to pull to the left so they can overtake in your lane.

I see it as the mentality of water; anywhere there is an open space, they must fill it.

Have you ever stopped to let a Thai pedestrian cross? It's almost humorous. They are very reluctant to cross, almost as if they think you will wait until they get in front of you; then run them down. And, if you do stop for them, forget about any Thai drivers behind you stopping too; they will invariably swerve around you and make the pedestrian stop for them.

I noted a similar driving ideology in Iran. In fact, I was told it was Iranian traffic law; in any accident, if your bumper was in front of the other car, they were at fault, because you were there first. I guess you could stretch that thought for farangs in Thailand and say; if you were not here, the accident would not have happened. Obviously, you’re at fault.

"I guess you could stretch that thought for farangs in Thailand and say; if you were not here, the accident would not have happened. Obviously, you’re at fault." this is exactly the logic applied in Saudi

In Chiang Mai red lights at a pedestrian crossing seem to be grudgingly respected. But don't dawdle crossing the road, if the crossing is clear but red light is still on, off they go.

A zebra crossing without lights? Forget it. It's a matter of waiting out the traffic until it's safe to cross.

For those worried about being rear-ended - buy a Merc or Beemer with deep tint on the windows. Age of vehicle doesn't matter. No one will hit you, because you are most likely to have a gun in the glovebox.

I start my emergency flashers, which get a little more attention than just the brake lights. Over 50% of the tailgaters back off. However, about 5-10% of the tailgaters become more aggressive: start honking, get even closer, or pass dangerously (on a hill or curve) and then cutting in so sharply I have to hit my brakes to avoid a collision. It's a gamble how they're going to react. The latter group--hellbent on their tailgating behaviour--see the flashers or even tapping your brakes as a challenge to their self-endowed right to tailgate. So "sending a message" has its uncertain results.
or how about do the logical thing and move out of the way (to the next lane or the left side of the lane you are in). Most of the Thais know how to do that. You sound like a driver from America who tries to act like the traffic police.

or how about do the logical thing and move out of the way (to the next lane or the left side of the lane you are in). Most of the Thais know how to do that. You sound like a driver from America who tries to act like the traffic police.

You sound like you've only driven on the Autobahn.

Dude, where I live, there's no shoulders or extra lanes to pull over.

Most Thais might know how to do that (as you informed us), but the fact is--they don't.

Tip: You may want to try driving in Thailand before you offer your sage advice.

Meanwhile, here's a pair that might fit you a little better...

Edited by seedy
foto