Dog bite in Thailand - a word of Warning

kristophon

The Op has done a service reminding people to be cautious and get treatment. I also have been bitten in Thailand and got treatment immediately. Now when I venture past soi dogs- I keep an eye behind me lest one sneak in for the bite. Sneaky and cheeky - they are.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily a couple years ago a 4 meter reticulated python showed up in the neighborhood and has been roaming the woods nearby. The number of soi dogs has dropped to almost 0! I would highly recommend getting one of those bad boys for your neighborhood. He seems to be patrolling about a 500square meter area.

I would be very hesitant to suggest to anyone that they shrug off a dog bite and not get treatment.

Thailand does not always follow WHO guidelines to the letter but they DO always give the vaccine...it is the immunoglobulin part that is often skipped. And Thai people are pretty well informed about the risk and quick to seek treatment. So the number of rabies deaths has to be put in the context of most bites receiving post-exposure course of vaccine.

Whatever campaigns there may have been in isolated localities, the overwhelming majority of street/stray dogs in Thailand have NOT been vaccinated.

I have seen someone die of rabies. It is a truly horrible death and well worth not taking even the smallest risk of undergoing.

I agree, all dog bite wounds here in LOS should be taken seriously and proper medical treatment sought. My g/f's father died from rabies because he failed to seek medical help. This was many years ago in Roi-Et province. I'm told his death was tortuous both for him and his family. His widow has never recovered from the trauma, and to me still shows signs of suffering from the shock of what happened. Please treat any animal bite with the utmost caution and get immediate medical help.

Edited by joebrown

1. Everyone should be pre-vaccinated against Tetanus. And a booster shot every ten years. Do that... and you never need to worry about Tetanus. Tetanus is literally in every country of the world. Not just tropical countries. Even in Europe and North America you should be vaccinated.

2. South East Asia has some of the highest rates of rabies infections in animals. Get pre-vaccinated for rabies.

The pre-exposure schedule for rabies vaccination is 3 doses, given at the following times:

• Dose 1: As appropriate
  • Dose 2: 7 days after Dose 1
  • Dose 3: 21 days or 28 days after Dose 1

A person who has been pre-vaccinated, but gets bit by an animal that might be rabid, or gets licked on a cut by an animal that might be rabid, should get 2 doses of rabies vaccine, - one right away and another on the 3rd day. Rabies Immune Globulin is not needed.

A person who is exposed and has never been vaccinated against rabies should get 4 doses of rabies vaccine - one dose right away, and additional doses on the 3rd, 7th, and 14th days. They also need to get another shot called Rabies Immune Globulin at the same time as the first dose.

Being pre-vaccinated has two great benefits ......it gives you extra time to get help, at least an extra 24 hours, and also you do not need to find Rabies Immune Globulin, which can be very difficult to find in some places in the world. You only need two follow-up shots of Rabies Vaccine.

Rabies is one of the most horrible ways to die.... much horrible suffering.... and you don't go quickly... Once the symptoms of Rabies begin... it's too late to do anything. You will die, ....and it will not be a painless, fast death.

Tetanus causes muscle spasms so severe... you can actually break bones. Suffering is long and horrible.... and can take months to recover. About 10% of people who get Tetanus do not survive it.

Get your shots everyone...

Edited by Catoni

Cycling wise, I have clocked up many miles and have realised that so long as you keep going and keep pedaling, the dogs can get close but they are never able to time a bite while you are moving. again, there are no garrantees but my advise is don`t panic, keep moving and keep pedaling.

I'm a cyclist,too (5000+ km on rural roads in Chiang Mai each of the last four years). I have two bottle cages on my bike. One of them contains vinegar with a little ground red pepper. Hit a dog with that once and it will never bother you again. Aim for the eyes, but anywhere on them makes a big impression because their sense of smell is so important to them. Other dogs with them seem to get the message as well. I suppose runners could use a smaller squeezable bottle.

is there anything you need to do right after you get a dog or cat bite ?

if a hospital is not close ?

do you wash the wound ? and with what ?

leave it open or covered ?

I would also think that there is also a problem with Rat bites and small kids......

Seems like they love dogs so much in this country yet neglect them and allow them to run riot. I was bitten in Phetchaburi, whilst doing some sightseeing around town. I only had a bottle of Sprite with me but immediately washed the wound, then went to the nearest chemist and got some antiseptic and clean cloth. Then when back in Bkk (maybe 2 days later) went to travel clinic and got treatment and also treatment when I got back home, all good thankfully. Bloody animals I would like to see all those f***** animals put down bloody nuisance and danger to public. Dont they have local councils that manage this sort of thing? of course not, we know where their pointless priorities lie!

Seems like they love dogs so much in this country yet neglect them and allow them to run riot. I was bitten in Phetchaburi, whilst doing some sightseeing around town. I only had a bottle of Sprite with me but immediately washed the wound, then went to the nearest chemist and got some antiseptic and clean cloth. Then when back in Bkk (maybe 2 days later) went to travel clinic and got treatment and also treatment when I got back home, all good thankfully. Bloody animals I would like to see all those f***** animals put down bloody nuisance and danger to public. Dont they have local councils that manage this sort of thing? of course not, we know where their pointless priorities lie!

The local councils go round and vaccinate the cats every year? few years?... the dogs I don't think so. But of course each council is it's own entity and some better than others...

I didn't know about the rabies threat, although I knew locals get shots if bitten.

Going to mash up some hot chillies in a squirt bottle as posted above...

Sage advice!

Rancid wretched creatures.

The amount of bites and rta's they cause is staggering year on year.

They should all be culled humanely on a national scale as most lead horrific lives, covered in mange & starving.

I sometimes stop on my bike and use the bike as defence to stop myself getting bitten.

P.S. I am a massive dog lover but these are vermin in my eyes.

Are you referring to the dogs or the natives?

I was bitten by a soi dog in February 2011. There were about 6 dogs camping out in the soi. The local Thai residents saw it happen, but wouldn't tell me which one it was, probably because whoever feeds it was worried they would have to pay. The correct immediate first aid is to wash the bite wound with soap and water, then put iodine on the bite; that done, I went to the local hospital. The rabies innoculation is a course of 5 injections, the day of the bite plus days 3,7,14 and 28. The tetanus is a course of 3 injections over a period of time (can't quite remember the time span). Total cost, about 7,000 Baht. A far as I can remember, the rabies jabs are life protection, although I would probably go to a hospital to check if bitten again.

Make sure you always have a bottle of iodine at home; better safe than sorry, and go to the hospital the same day as the bite, even if you have to crawl there.

I love dogs, have 2 of my own, but as far as soi dogs are concerned, they are the bane of my life, can't walk to the local 7/11, have to go in the car or on the motorbike. They should all be culled. Perhaps it might attract more tourists if that were to happen. I wonder if the government has thought of that! No! TiT!

It's definitely good advice. There are few rabid dogs in Thailand and you would have to be very unlucky to be bitten by one. I was bitten whilst out on my bike about three years ago. I was in hospital at my own insistence within an hour. Any dog bite should be treated by a professional for reasons of infection prevention as well as the faint possibility of a rabies connection.

In my case I went to a private hospital, was given rabies injections and had to have my wounds re-bandaged every day for three weeks. Cost me B10,000. My final rabies injection in a series of five was done at a Government hospital and cost me B70 compared with B500 at the Private one.

My wounds have healed completely and not even any scars.

When out running or biking, I have learned to slow down and remain calm. It works - but nothing is guaranteed.

Go straight to hospital, absolutely the right thing to do.

Dogs in Asia are to stupid and so easy to scare, even the biggest one, I wonder how could anybody be bitten ?

What you say is true in daylight. After dark, they tend to congregate into packs and can be quite aggressive. Personally, I would not take the slightest chance if bitten. Rabies is a horrible way to die.

Just want to add a couple of things on your Good Advice.

Rabies can come from any animal, including humans, so your advice should follow any animal bite. My daughter got bitten at the Petting Zoo by a Goat and even though these animals are vaccinated against Rabies, the doctors still gave her the shots. Needless to say that Goat probably didn't have a long life even if he did not have Rabies as I am pretty sure I saw him on the Food Cart the next day.

The other thing is that there is no cure for Rabies once it spreads to your Nervous System. It is not even 100% effective even when you get your shots right away. If you get it and it spreads you will die a horrible death. So don't take a chance.

Thanks for the great advice.

Cycling wise, I have clocked up many miles and have realised that so long as you keep going and keep pedaling, the dogs can get close but they are never able to time a bite while you are moving. again, there are no garrantees but my advise is don`t panic, keep moving and keep pedaling.

I'm a cyclist,too (5000+ km on rural roads in Chiang Mai each of the last four years). I have two bottle cages on my bike. One of them contains vinegar with a little ground red pepper. Hit a dog with that once and it will never bother you again. Aim for the eyes, but anywhere on them makes a big impression because their sense of smell is so important to them. Other dogs with them seem to get the message as well. I suppose runners could use a smaller squeezable bottle.

I also have ridden around the rural roads of Chiang Mai doing 4000 kms a year. I don't agree with your system of dealing with the problem. When I was bitten by a dog (not in Chiang Mai) he came out suddenly from a field and whatever I might have been carrying to thwart the dog, the result would have been the same: it all happened so quickly.

If someone comes up behind and stabs you in the back, what good is pepper spray, vinegar or even a gun to PREVENT it?

I NEVER threaten any dog, because there is simply no need. My long experience (35 years) of running and biking and my way of dealing with dogs when I am out is very successful and I am sticking with it.

Edited by ChrisKC

I was bitten by a soi dog in February 2011. There were about 6 dogs camping out in the soi. The local Thai residents saw it happen, but wouldn't tell me which one it was, probably because whoever feeds it was worried they would have to pay. The correct immediate first aid is to wash the bite wound with soap and water, then put iodine on the bite; that done, I went to the local hospital. The rabies innoculation is a course of 5 injections, the day of the bite plus days 3,7,14 and 28. The tetanus is a course of 3 injections over a period of time (can't quite remember the time span). Total cost, about 7,000 Baht. A far as I can remember, the rabies jabs are life protection, although I would probably go to a hospital to check if bitten again.

Make sure you always have a bottle of iodine at home; better safe than sorry, and go to the hospital the same day as the bite, even if you have to crawl there.

I love dogs, have 2 of my own, but as far as soi dogs are concerned, they are the bane of my life, can't walk to the local 7/11, have to go in the car or on the motorbike. They should all be culled. Perhaps it might attract more tourists if that were to happen. I wonder if the government has thought of that! No! TiT!

No... rabies pre-bite vaccination is not life protection. If bitten you still need shots.... just not so many. If you don't..... you could still get rabies.

And you do not need Rabies Immune Globulin if you have had the pre-bite vaccinations. But you still need to go to the hospital and get those extra shots if bitten.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/specific_groups/travelers/pre-exposure_vaccinations.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies_vaccine

Edited by Catoni

The correct immediate first aid is to wash the bite wound with soap and water, then put iodine on the bite; that done, I went to the local hospital.

I'd go for Hydrogen Peroxide as the first step, then iodine... (ignore the crazy ranting in the vid btw!)

Edited by whiterussian

People don't come suddenly and don't stab me in the back because I see them first.

It's exactly the same thing with dogs, and even after dark, I must be a scary person to be able to shout so loud and run so fast behind dogs that just show the same small balls as their owners... The difference with dogs is that they cannot stab me and I can kick them in the face so hard that they just lay and cry. More difficult with their owners I agree :-)

I also have ridden around the rural roads of Chiang Mai doing 4000 kms a year. I don't agree with your system of dealing with the problem. When I was bitten by a dog (not in Chiang Mai) he came out suddenly from a field and whatever I might have been carrying to thwart the dog, the result would have been the same: it all happened so quickly.

If someone comes up behind and stabs you in the back, what good is pepper spray, vinegar or even a gun to PREVENT it?

I NEVER threaten any dog, because there is simply no need. My long experience (35 years) of running and biking and my way of dealing with dogs when I am out is very successful and I am sticking with it.

It's definitely good advice. There are few rabid dogs in Thailand and you would have to be very unlucky to be bitten by one. I was bitten whilst out on my bike about three years ago. I was in hospital at my own insistence within an hour. Any dog bite should be treated by a professional for reasons of infection prevention as well as the faint possibility of a rabies connection.

In my case I went to a private hospital, was given rabies injections and had to have my wounds re-bandaged every day for three weeks. Cost me B10,000. My final rabies injection in a series of five was done at a Government hospital and cost me B70 compared with B500 at the Private one.

When out running or biking, I have learned to slow down and remain calm. It works - but nothing is guaranteed.

https://caninelifesupport1.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/absence_presence_rabies_07_large.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CP-DxraWUAA9x8t.jpg

is there anything you need to do right after you get a dog or cat bite ?

if a hospital is not close ?

do you wash the wound ? and with what ?

leave it open or covered ?

I would also think that there is also a problem with Rat bites and small kids......

Wash it with copious amounts of water and allow it to bleed a bit as you do so, can even squeeze slightly to promote bleeding as this helps get organisms out . Then apply antiseptic and get to a hospital within 24 hours.

Applies to pretty much all animal bites

https://caninelifesupport1.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/absence_presence_rabies_07_large.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CP-DxraWUAA9x8t.jpg

as I say, I never really got the full story, other than the basics (ie. he was bitten by a dog and it killed him within a month) but I don`t think my colleague died from rabies, I think it was likely a bacterial infection that killed him. he probably just needed a strong, immediate course of anti-biotics but the fact is you just don`t know so u have to take everything they offer up which will include strong antibiotics.

my colleague left it way to late and by the time he went to hospital the infection had ravaged his internal organs to a point that was irreversible

the doctors here will have seen thousands of this type of case so just do as they say

One evening after school hours before it got dark when I was teaching, I was working out in the school exercise yard, a couple of people drew up next to me and let this really huge dog out of their car, then

drove away. this beast then came towards me growling and baring it's teeth, it was going to attack me, I was terrified and shouted at a school employee who was working nearby. He shouted and chased it off

with a stick or something he had in his hand.

I immediately picked up two big lumps of concrete from near by, put one in my motorbike basket. kept the other one in my hand.

I then rode after the dog which was standing about 30 Mts away, hit it full on, did a U turn, took the second lump of concrete, again rode towards the dog, hit it again, how I loved getting my revenge without having

to worry if I would need to take on six dogs.

I do a lot of walking and jogging. Carrying a stick is advisable. But what I found works great is one of those Tasers....the dogs hate the sound of one of them. When ever a dog approaches just push the button and most of the time they will run the other way when they hear the sound. At night even better due to the flash....

Luckily a couple years ago a 4 meter reticulated python showed up in the neighborhood and has been roaming the woods nearby. The number of soi dogs has dropped to almost 0! I would highly recommend getting one of those bad boys for your neighborhood. He seems to be patrolling about a 500square meter area.

A python???? You seem to forget the danger it could have towards anyone else in the area.

I think I would rather take on a dog than a python.

If pythons do not bite or harm humans, then I take back what I have said.

It would be nice if we had a phonenumber from the government which we can call to report agressive dogs.

Also would be nice if we can report to which owner they belong (in case we know that) or who feeds them.

Even better would be if the government just gets them all off the streets. They also come into moobaans where children play or people have dogs in their own fenced garden.

It costs money plain and simple. They only tackle/spend money on high profile items that hit the news that may scare tourists away. Dog bites do not make the news. Its the wild wild west here until something really hits the news then ACTION!! Thats why western societies are all broke they spend to much on items like dog catchers and stray dogs etc. in contrast. Do you really think that all these countries signing trade deals will clean up human rights and pollution abuses like it stipulates in the agreement? Hardly. The only clauses that will be enforced are ones where these countries are not charging western prices for drugs and other items on store shelves.

I do a lot of walking and jogging. Carrying a stick is advisable. But what I found works great is one of those Tasers....the dogs hate the sound of one of them. When ever a dog approaches just push the button and most of the time they will run the other way when they hear the sound. At night even better due to the flash....

yeah.. again you`ve kind of missed the point.. a taser, or spray is only any use if you have seen or heard the dog... When i was bitten whilst out running i didn`t hear it or see it until it had already bitten uz because it came at me from behind while its mates in front were making all the noise... i was kind of ambushed...

a stick is the best deterrent and (surprisingly) easy to hang onto even if you are running if its a thin lightweight stick.

the mere fact that the dog can see u naturally waving the stick about (because you are running) will put it off because they are used to being beaten by the locals. (unless it is a particularly vicious brute of a dog).

So you don`t necessarily have to have seen it... thats the point of the stick...

Edited by kristophon

A python???? You seem to forget the danger it could have towards anyone else in the area.

I think I would rather take on a dog than a python.

If pythons do not bite or harm humans, then I take back what I have said.

i saw a python once out on the road while cycling. its body must have been the diameter of a basketball and by the time its head dissapeared into the bushes on one side of the road its tail hadn`t even come out of the bushes on the other side of the road. it was massive...

i just stood frozen about 50meters away down the road staring in astonishment...

Edited by kristophon

If you pretend to pick up a stone from the ground the dogs will run away. If they don't, raise up your arm and act like you are going to throw the imaginary stone at them. They will run away for sure then. If they don't get ready to dish out a good kicking. One of the reasons you wont ever see me wearing sandals when I'm out.