Dog bite in Thailand - a word of Warning

kristophon

Sounds very familiar.

Only after I got a small bite from a soi dog, and I had to take all the series of rabies and tetanus shots, I found out that foreign travel agencies advice travelers to get 2 preventive rabies shots before traveling in Asia.

India is #1 in rabies infections...and Thailand?...#2.

I have lived mostly in Thailand for the past 10 years but haven't had a vaccination of any kind for the past 45 years, having realised that vaccination is a massive fraud. Overcoming tetanus doesn't result in immunity, so how can the vaccine create immunity? Also, when given a tetanus after having sustained a bite or oher injury the tetanus would become a problem long before the vaccines protective effect (if any) would kick in.

Most people unfortunately don't realise that vaccines cause far more harm including deaths than the diseases they are used against.

http://www.vaccinationinformationnetwork.com/dr-blaylock-vaccine-program-based-upon-nonsense-fear-fairy-tales/

I have two friends - one British and one American - who are both married to Thai women. Both couples have two sons, all of then unvaccinated and all of them happy and thriving. It is really quite ludicrous to think that injecting a body with toxic chemicals and biological substances will promote health. But there you go: "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956) .

Or any other public for that matter.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you pretend to pick up a stone from the ground the dogs will run away. If they don't, raise up your arm and act like you are going to throw the imaginary stone at them. They will run away for sure then. If they don't get ready to dish out a good kicking. One of the reasons you wont ever see me wearing sandals when I'm out.

All dogs bark but very few bite.

But we have another one here who believes in provocation. Dogs do NOT instinctively want to bite you but you instinctively want to bite them.

I carry nothing in the daytime or night time because I don't need to and I think I am less likely to be bitten than you.

Sounds very familiar.

Only after I got a small bite from a soi dog, and I had to take all the series of rabies and tetanus shots, I found out that foreign travel agencies advice travelers to get 2 preventive rabies shots before traveling in Asia.

I have lived mostly in Thailand for the past 10 years but haven't had a vaccination of any kind for the past 45 years, having realised that vaccination is a massive fraud. Overcoming tetanus doesn't result in immunity, so how can the vaccine create immunity? Also, when given a tetanus after having sustained a bite or oher injury the tetanus would become a problem long before the vaccines protective effect (if any) would kick in.

Most people unfortunately don't realise that vaccines cause far more harm including deaths than the diseases they are used against.

http://www.vaccinationinformationnetwork.com/dr-blaylock-vaccine-program-based-upon-nonsense-fear-fairy-tales/

I have two friends - one British and one American - who are both married to Thai women. Both couples have two sons, all of then unvaccinated and all of them happy and thriving. It is really quite ludicrous to think that injecting a body with toxic chemicals and biological substances will promote health. But there you go: "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

i don`t think you are in a minority their... I doubt most that live here full time will keep up with vacs

I am the same as you, been here over 10 years and never had any injections. i don`t know whether thats the best way to go or not.. the truth is I just forget about it for long periods of time anyway.. its like going to the dentist.. 'ah sod it, i`ll go next week... ' etc etc

also most that have had vacs will likely not know when the next is due anyway, loose the book, and it all fisals out...

so basically, all the more reason to make sure that if u get bit, get to hospital ASAP...

I have noticed that many dogs here are cowards; alone, apart if they are vicious, they wouldn't normally bite you, only barking: I ride often my bicycle, and there are four ways that I found effective: ( depending of the context ) ; 1 shout louder than they bark, they are surprised and they stop ; 2 keep pedaling, after a while they stop ; 3 speak gently and they will get calm, or 4 stop and go down your bicycle and they will go away

important, show you are the boss and be calm

it works for just barking and following dogs, I don't mean it works for a dog which really wants to bite

I have been often in difficult situations with dogs ( alone or in group ) and so far, never be bitten; when I walk, I have always a stick with me, intimating for the dogs ; dogs are sensitive to human voice, speak, say something to them

but the OP is right in his first message ; I have a tetanus vaccination, stil eight years to go

Sounds very familiar.

Mencken has been dead for 60 years and cannot be considered as a modern thinker and unfortunately neither can you or your Dr Russell Blaylock. You and a couple of other Families are not a basis for you arriving at such a conclusion, much less doing away with immunisation

Here is a proper scientifically and medically qualified retort to Blaylocks assertions (that can only be thought of as conspiracy theory!) All conspiracy theories should be sent to the PUB forum.

I have read much about the wisdom of vaccinations and evidence in journals that have the backing of the medical establishment. I include the case of MMR v Autism. Case lost! MMR doe NOT cause Autism

http://skepdic.com/blaylock.html

Edited by ChrisKC

Yesterday s neighbors dog bit someone from down the street as she drove by on her motorbike. Hard to figure what got into him. Less than 2 years old but I did think the mutt was strange. Anyway the owner killed the dog with poison this morning. My gf says it's now illegal to kill dogs now. That surprises me.

I was bitten by our neighbors dog about two years ago and had the rabies series of I think 5 shots plus tetanus. After being bit I was told you have 24 hours to start the series. Total costs was around B6000.

silly me...

the question is, how much of that did the neighbor pay?

Thank you [emoji120] I love running long distances and look forward to long runs as I travel around here but after reading this much changes . Maybe carry a little can of mace/pepper spray for protection ? attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1458541309.738156.jpg

I use a bear spray that I picked up at home. It's got lots of punch (it's quite debilitating for a period) and can lay down a stream at +20 feet. The dogs may not know what it is the first time but they have zero interest in you the next time you come by. The advantage over standard pepper spray or a stick is the range.

If you pretend to pick up a stone from the ground the dogs will run away. If they don't, raise up your arm and act like you are going to throw the imaginary stone at them. They will run away for sure then. If they don't get ready to dish out a good kicking. One of the reasons you wont ever see me wearing sandals when I'm out.

But we have another one here who believes in provocation. Dogs do NOT instinctively want to bite you but you instinctively want to bite them.

I carry nothing in the daytime or night time because I don't need to and I think I am less likely to be bitten than you.

Yes mate okay, your right. I'll stop carrying the imaginary stones then.

Provocation? I don't really understand what you mean, if a dog is snarling and going to bite me it's defense not provocation.

I have never been bitten in Thailand in 14 years so it seems to be working for me. Why do you think Thai families teach their children to throw stones at dogs when they are little. The dogs understand it and so do the Thais. Just giving some advice on what works. You don't actually need a stone.

I wonder out of all the people bitten in the above posts how many were bitten because they provoked a dog?

Personally I was bitten in the UK twice once by a Jack Russel as a kid, i merely walked past someones house. And once by a black Labrador whilst riding my bike on my paper round. All unprovoked. Unless just walking past it's territory is construed by the dog as provocation. In which case its hard luck if the public highway is where the dog lives.

I hope yourself and everyone else stay safe and don't get bitten, but you must also remember Rabid dogs may bite without any provocation at all, it's a fact apparently. Other dogs may be trained to attack you or just be plain bat sh+t crazy.

And I hope you are not another on here who is badly insured, because those jabs apart from being quite painful also don't come for free.

Provocation? I don't really understand what you mean, if a dog is snarling and going to bite me it's defense not provocation.

I have never been bitten in Thailand in 14 years so it seems to be working for me. Why do you think Thai families teach their children to throw stones at dogs when they are little. The dogs understand it and so do the Thais. Just giving some advice on what works. You don't actually need a stone.

I wonder out of all the people bitten in the above posts how many were bitten because they provoked a dog?

Personally I was bitten in the UK twice once by a Jack Russel as a kid, i merely walked past someones house. And once by a black Labrador whilst riding my bike on my paper round. All unprovoked. Unless just walking past it's territory is construed by the dog as provocation. In which case its hard luck if the public highway is where the dog lives.

I hope yourself and everyone else stay safe and don't get bitten, but you must also remember Rabid dogs may bite without any provocation at all, it's a fact apparently. Other dogs may be trained to attack you or just be plain bat sh+t crazy.

And I hope you are not another on here who is badly insured, because those jabs apart from being quite painful also don't come for free.

Provocation is what you have described in your own post. A person understands the difference between provocation and defence but a dog does not. If a dog learns that someone carries a weapon to "bite" them, you take the risk it will bite you first.

Provocation is a cause and defence is an effect. Raising your arms, waving a stick are threatening and provocative actions and in some cases will invite trouble where there was none!

Teaching children to throw stones at dogs is not culture but cruelty. It should be a criminal offence to teach children to be cruel!

Not taking preventative measures because it hurts or because it has to be paid for is the preserve of the foolish or the prejudiced, places I do not belong.

In my life, a few people have been bad to me but I don't condemn all people past or present for that. Same with dogs, I have been bitten once but I have met many, many hundreds of dogs since then and I haven't been remotely affected adversely by any of them. And they have suffered no harm or threat from me either.

My system works without the weapons and ill intent!

Edited by ChrisKC

Provocation is what you have described in your own post. A person understands the difference between provocation and defence but a dog does not. If a dog learns that someone carries a weapon to "bite" them, you take the risk it will bite you first.

Provocation is a cause and defence is an effect. Raising your arms, waving a stick are threatening and provocative actions and in some cases will invite trouble where there was none!

Teaching children to throw stones at dogs is not culture but cruelty. It should be a criminal offence to teach children to be cruel!

Not taking preventative measures because it hurts or because it has to be paid for is the preserve of the foolish or the prejudiced, places I do not belong.

In my life, a few people have been bad to me but I don't condemn all people past or present for that. Same with dogs, I have been bitten once but I have met many, many hundreds of dogs since then and I haven't been remotely affected adversely by any of them. And they have suffered no harm or threat from me either.

My system works without the weapons and ill intent!

Fair play mate, I know you know what your talking about.

You still breeding them Weinmaraner guard dogs?

There was a previous thread on Rabies in the Isaan Forum on TV. Lets not get into a long drawn should I should I not saga...

The bottom line is - ANY ANIMAL BITE - GET TO THE HOSPITAL FAST.

My advise for detering the dogs is carry a stick, if no stick have a couple of pebbles in you pocket. Just the very act of lifting the stick overhead, or the motion of bending down to get a stone is enough in most cases for the dogs to run off.

When I am out in the Boonies in the GF's village I always carry a powerful hand torch. link attached for what I mean. Even in day light this torch is bright enough to temporarily blind and deter not just a dog but also an attacker / mugger as well.

I have two of these torches one for me and one for the GF. They are also the best thing for a power cut or looking for anything in the dark.

http://www.amazon.com/LED-Lenser-HP8407-Focusing-Flashlight/dp/B001AT1F6S

Couldn't seen any post after the hospital call about anyone reporting the offending dogs to the police.

Around here some people come now and again and round up stays wish they would come more often.

This is a good question.

I was bitten and didn't report to the police. I am not sure why, I DID go back with a Thai person to the house of the offending dog but to cut my story short on this one, it amounted to nothing!

I am speculating but I think that dogs that bite as a "bad habit" come from a disadvantaged background. What I mean is, their owners are not kind to them, leaving them alone chained up for long periods, train them to "protect" at all costs, don't get them vaccinated for generic dog-type diseases, feed them rice every day, left to roam the streets, not exercised properly.

A few years ago, I took on a puppy dog, a stray, who was chasing motorbikes in San Kamphaeng. About six months later, I took on another puppy from a temple in Chiang Mai. My reason for telling you is that these dogs were wonderful in every way. We gave them proper food for dogs, they had 22 rai to run in, they had time and attention, love and affection. They were vaccinated against the usuals.

I haven't written anything for a long time but if you would like to read their story and to see their photos:

www.hollyandkala.blogspot.com

Sage advice!

Rancid wretched creatures.

The amount of bites and rta's they cause is staggering year on year.

They should all be culled humanely on a national scale as most lead horrific lives, covered in mange & starving.

I sometimes stop on my bike and use the bike as defence to stop myself getting bitten.

P.S. I am a massive dog lover but these are vermin in my eyes.

Should at least have a gov funded castration scheme going. Our local temple took in a stray - Doberman cross. It's a mean, snarling dog. 2 years and it still hasn't chilled out. Haven't taken my son to the temple since. Mai pen rai, farang bah! etc.

Have the same problem with my local temple they must have at least 10 to 15 dogs and I stopped going because they would snarl and bark at you a lot of people have complained but the monks wont get rid of them

My neighbour, an English NGO was riding his bike home in Vientiane, Laos.

Was bitten by a dog, wasted no time,,got on the bus and went non stop to

Bangkok Hospital in Udon Thani.

They know the dangers.

Vientiane to Udon Thani !!!------- Hope he enjoyed the ride----- And did he have to do something special to get the bus driver to go straight to Bangkok Hospital instead of the usual Udon Bus Station------bah.gifbah.gif

Edited by biplanebluey

Since early childhood we learned how imperative it is to get the course of injections if ever bitten by a dog anywhere in the world. To the best of my knowledge it consisted of 3 injections, the second one 6 months after the first one and the last one a year later, or that could be three months and six months....but it is vitally important to finish the course of injections. I must admit though, I did not always follow that advice when bitten in my own country....Rabies has long since been a disease of the past there....having said that, one can never be certain.

Sounds very familiar.

You have more knowledge than the World Health Organization and the CDC ? ?

Quick... get in touch with them and set them straight.... but make sure to get published also with your research..

I've had all the major vaccines.... including all the travel vaccines.... with absolutely no ill effects...

12 NOVEMBER 2015 ¦ GENEVA - The number of measles-related deaths has decreased 79% from 546 800 at the beginning of the century to 114 900 in 2014. New data released by WHO for the Measles & Rubella Initiative, estimates that 17.1 million lives have been saved since 2000, largely due to increased vaccination coverage against this highly contagious viral disease. Measles vaccination has played a key role in reducing child mortality and in progress towards Millennium Development Goal 4.

World Health Organization

Since the polio vaccine was introduced in 1955, cases plummeted and the disease was declared eliminated in the Unites States in 1979. Global immunization was so successful that polio was about to join smallpox as the only infectious diseases to have been wiped out.

Here are eight diseases that have been effectively controlled by vaccines......there are many more.. : Vaccines have saved millions and millions of lives...

​ Why don't you research what it was like when Smallpox was all over the world... how many it killed..... what it was like to have it..... and tell me vaccines do no good..

1. Polio symptoms include high fever, paralysis and death. The eradication of this dreaded disease that often crippled people and put many of them in iron lung machines has been one of the greatest victories of modern medicine, according to the Mother Nature Network. Though outbreaks still occur in developing countries, a world without polio is an achievable goal with vaccinations.

2. Hib disease results from a bacterial infection spread through coughing, sneezing or just talking. Hib bacteria can lead to meningitis, an infection affecting the brain and spinal cord that can be fatal. Other symptoms include pneumonia, severe swelling of the voice box that inhibits breathing, and infections of the joints, bones, blood and pericardium that covers the heart. The first Hib vaccine was licensed in 1985, eliminating the disease in the developed world.

3. Whooping cough is a highly contagious disease that causes uncontrollable coughing. The "whooping" sounds of the cough give this disease its name. Coughing bouts can last for weeks and result in death. Vaccination renders it completely preventable.

4. Measles is commonly recognized by the rash of spots beginning on the face and spreading to the body. Measles victims can suffer high fever, blindness, brain infection and death. Vaccines that prevent the disease are given to infants and to young children through booster shots. Measles outbreaks may occur in the U.S. due to decrease in vaccinations or imported from other countries. Vaccination has resulted in a 75% decrease in deaths from measles between 2000 and 2013 with about 85% of children globally being currently vaccinated. No specific treatment is available. Supportive care may improve outcomes. Most of those who are infected and who die are less than five years old. The risk of death among those infected is usually 0.2%,[6] but may be up to 10% in those who have malnutrition.

5. Tuberculosis, a deadly lung disease, was eliminated in the 20th century from the vaccine BCG. The bacterial infection, usually found in the lungs, could affect people who aren't vaccinated. People exposed to TB might not show early symptoms. As the immune system weakens, the bacteria become active and can result in death.

6. The smallpox vaccine was the first successful vaccine made, invented in 1796 by Edward Jenner. He noted that people who had cowpox, a much less severe illness, were immune to smallpox, a disease that attacks the skin and causes blisters all over the body. Smallpox is the only disease-causing virus that has been completely eradicated throughout the world.

7. The spores of the tetanus bacteria are often found on rusty surfaces, or even on clean looking surfaces that have been laying around outside in the dirt. An open wound in contact with a rusty or dirty surface outside can result in painful muscle spasms, generally in the jaw, which gives the disease the nickname of "lockjaw." Regular vaccines prevent this debilitating and deadly disease, and prevent it if given after exposure to the bacteria.

8. Rabies was a common threat to all mammals, including humans, and typically spread through biting. Affecting the nervous system, it results in excitation, paranoia, anxiety, confusion and extreme salivating that causes infected people to foam at the mouth, and death. Although it can still be found in the wild animal population, it has been eliminated from the domesticated animal population by regular vaccinations.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/Vaccines-Diseases-Health/2015/03/11/id/629497/

Edited by Catoni

Sounds very familiar.

i don`t think you are in a minority their... I doubt most that live here full time will keep up with vacs

I am the same as you, been here over 10 years and never had any injections. i don`t know whether thats the best way to go or not.. the truth is I just forget about it for long periods of time anyway.. its like going to the dentist.. 'ah sod it, i`ll go next week... ' etc etc

also most that have had vacs will likely not know when the next is due anyway, loose the book, and it all fisals out...

so basically, all the more reason to make sure that if u get bit, get to hospital ASAP...

Yeah... but sugarcane24 says vaccines cause more harm than the disease..

quote: "...vaccines cause far more harm including deaths than the diseases they are used against. "

Going with his belief.... you're better off not going to the hospital for the shots after you are bit by a rabid dog. But somehow... that just doesn't make any sense to me....

But I'm quite happy with my pre-bite rabies shots... and I will go for the other two shots if I get bit. I believe vaccines save many many more lives than any bad they do.

All the vaccinations I've had have certainly never hurt me.. I've never even had a bad Flu since starting the yearly Flu shots thirty years ago... At least if I have had the Flu... the vaccinations have made it so mile that it was more like the common cold.. Never missed time off work from the Flu anymore..

One evening after school hours before it got dark when I was teaching, I was working out in the school exercise yard, a couple of people drew up next to me and let this really huge dog out of their car, then

drove away. this beast then came towards me growling and baring it's teeth, it was going to attack me, I was terrified and shouted at a school employee who was working nearby. He shouted and chased it off

with a stick or something he had in his hand.

I immediately picked up two big lumps of concrete from near by, put one in my motorbike basket. kept the other one in my hand.

I then rode after the dog which was standing about 30 Mts away, hit it full on, did a U turn, took the second lump of concrete, again rode towards the dog, hit it again, how I loved getting my revenge without having

to worry if I would need to take on six dogs.

Yet another self-congratulatory sicko who has just admitted breaking the law on animal cruelty in Thailand.

It never touched you and it was standing 30m away, what a brave hero you are not.

One evening after school hours before it got dark when I was teaching, I was working out in the school exercise yard, a couple of people drew up next to me and let this really huge dog out of their car, then

drove away. this beast then came towards me growling and baring it's teeth, it was going to attack me, I was terrified and shouted at a school employee who was working nearby. He shouted and chased it off

with a stick or something he had in his hand.

I immediately picked up two big lumps of concrete from near by, put one in my motorbike basket. kept the other one in my hand.

I then rode after the dog which was standing about 30 Mts away, hit it full on, did a U turn, took the second lump of concrete, again rode towards the dog, hit it again, how I loved getting my revenge without having

to worry if I would need to take on six dogs.

Yet another self-congratulatory sicko who has just admitted breaking the law on animal cruelty in Thailand.

It never touched you and it was standing 30m away, what a brave hero you are not.

Yes, I'm proud of what I did, that dog was going to attack me, and if it was not for someone nearby, I would have been at least maimed.

Anyone, man or beast who tries to attack me or even threaten me with injury or violence will have to take the consequences, if that makes

me a sicko, then that is what I am.

Now run along and get back to hiding behind your keyboard.

It would be nice if we had a phonenumber from the government which we can call to report agressive dogs.

Also would be nice if we can report to which owner they belong (in case we know that) or who feeds them.

Even better would be if the government just gets them all off the streets. They also come into moobaans where children play or people have dogs in their own fenced garden.

I can talk only of Pattaya but you can report any misbehaving dog to the veterinary section in the basement of the public health building on Soi Buakhaow next to the new hospital. They are very helpful but speaky no English.

Sticks work well and simply waving them as a threat often gets the message across. Tossing a stone likewise. Thai soi dogs are used to being hit with sticks and having stones thrown at them but might not know what the spray is...plus they have to already be pretty close to spray them whereas the stick wave/stone throw works from a distance, which is where you want to keep them.

The most important thing is to not feel fear, they literally smell it. if you start to feel apprehensive, try to switch it to anger, which they can also sense. They will attack if they sense fear and flee if they sense anger.

I walk my own black Lab each day and take with me a walking stick. My Lab is on a short leash and carries her frisbee with her in her mouth as we walk around. We are often bothered by strays and pets-on-the-loose none of which faze my Lab; she strolls on quietly. Normally a wave of my stick does enough to ward off any approaching mutt. Yesterday however a persistent pet-on-the-loose (collared) came too close and received a sharp belt on its back. Off it went yelping in pain with its tail between its legs. This is not the first time I've had to physically defend me and mine from un-tethered dogs: probably won't be the last.

All dogs should have a collar with the owner's contact number and address . If the dog is found running loose in a soi the owner can be contacted and the incident recorded . If it happens a second time a fine to be paid by the owner . Third time the dog is destroyed .

Any dog without i.d. should be placed in a pound for a short period of time and if claimed the owner pays a fine . If the dog is not claimed it is destroyed . A dog warden to patrol the sois and to deal with any public complaints .

I think also it would be a viable business for whoever runs it . A good opportunity to make money is not normally missed by the Thai people .

Could it really be that simple or have I missed something ?

2012 First contact with rabied dog : 5 shots on left arm, always joked im right handed so dont need the left one lol, Lupus like symptoms overnight for months

2013 bitten by dog 5 shots, one forced by a dozen nurses coming in a van to my house to force vaccinate me. Neurological problems began; memory loss, difficulties to communicate, limbs legs arms non responsive; tremors.

2014 bitten by dogs 3 shots, same troubles plus left arm paralyzed

2015 bitten by a dog 1 shot, starting getting suspicious just about getting over the last vaccines and recovering but left arm still not well

2016 bitten by a dog forced vaccination at hospital while I was semi conscious. After 3 months left arm got worse, then better now recovering.

I will never get vaccinated ever again