I moved back to the real world a short time ago. But, I must admit, I do miss the following:

mr chow

I notice most people that take exception to my comments are from The UK and Australia. As bad as Thailand has become after living there 13 years ( i don't live there anymore) it is far better than those places. England...weather sucks

Australia....expensive. Oh, and did I mention, HOW FAT Thai people are getting.

Are you really gone. I seem to recall seeing some of your posts recently. Sounds like you can take the man out iof Thailand but you can't take Thailand out of the man.

I am planning to move to Chiang Mai later this year after 3 1/2 years in Cuenca Ecuador. I like Cuenca but yearn for new adventure. After following some Thai blogs over the last month there seems to be much more anger, scorn and ridiculing toward Thai culture than I ever found on multiple Ecuador forums over 3 years.

Are there that many embittered middle age men in Thailand?

I think most of them are the older people who have nothing to fill their life with and can't afford to live where they come from.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice most people that take exception to my comments are from The UK and Australia. As bad as Thailand has become after living there 13 years ( i don't live there anymore) it is far better than those places. England...weather sucks

Australia....expensive. Oh, and did I mention, HOW FAT Thai people are getting.

Are you really gone. I seem to recall seeing some of your posts recently. Sounds like you can take the man out iof Thailand but you can't take Thailand out of the man.

I am planning to move to Chiang Mai later this year after 3 1/2 years in Cuenca Ecuador. I like Cuenca but yearn for new adventure. After following some Thai blogs over the last month there seems to be much more anger, scorn and ridiculing toward Thai culture than I ever found on multiple Ecuador forums over 3 years.

I think most of them are the older people who have nothing to fill their life with and can't afford to live where they come from.

yes ive noticed there is quiet a lot of cheap charlies living in cnx And to be honest there not all old folk some of the young ones or quite a few love it for the cheapness of the thai roadside food stalls, And 7-11 beer out of the cooler.

Australia....expensive. Oh, and did I mention, HOW FAT Thai people are getting
Good point, even the GoGo dancers !
Edited by rogeroc

Is it bad I really expected there to be a bunch line at the bottom of OP?

This is only my second two month stint here, so I probably dont really have a grasp on any realities yet. Especially since I have no desire to "hook up" in any way shape or form...that makes me a failure as a farang right?

But Im still living in the honeymoon phase, and not minding the tradeoffs. Coming from NZ sure we may be cleaner and greener, but that comes with a premium in price. I had one experience last time I was here where I *gasp* paid the posted price on a pair of teeshirts, the vender took pity on me I guess because they threw in some extras...but I still could hardly grasp how cheap the posted price was anyways.

In NZ recently I have been able to get internet as fast as 1mb/s and as fast as 2. But thats taken years. Here sure some places seem unstable, but thats why you check it out first right?

Prehaps I will have to keep coming back, and once I get more money behind me move here longer, so I can find a similar level of disenchantment.

But do what ever makes you happy really. Find what tradeoffs you are willing to make, since all countries have them.

Have you considered there might be very good reasons for the low regard towards modern Thai realities?

The culture gap is much, much wider in Thailand. Hence much more difficult for middle-aged men to adapt (I'm not even saying embrace).

I am retired here. If it wasn't much more different I would have retired some place else.

It has it's differences like excepted bribes by the BIB but that is to be expected when you move to a foreign country.

What is not to be expected is to move there and think it should be the same as where you come from.

any one moving here for permanent should do a little research on it first. Or do as I did come several times and look it over.

Now of course if you work for a company and they send you here that is a horse of another color.

The ransom prices of western food

??? I can eat western food here for far less than I can back in England.

At a restaurant maybe, but Thai supermarkets have a significant markup on Western produce. While I might agree with some of your other retorts and the op is out of order (I hate to drive in the UK now), I do find your overall reply a bit squeamish and coming across all rose-tinted-glasses esque.

Well...let's be honest.

mr chow makes some valid points.

And naboo: your rebuttal is mostly baloney.

That said, I totally agree with Denim; it's best to just quietly walk away, and don't look back.

Agreed 100%. I did the same 10 years ago, went back west. Some of his points have truth in them, although they are exposed way too bluntly for my taste, without finesse (to say the least).

My experience of living and working in Thailand was a nice one overall, but the drawbacks have gradually taken over the advantages.

I walked away, quietly.

I still like and enjoy the country as a regular visitor.

I may even consider coming back for my retirement.

I think that he forgot to list a serious issue, though, that may become critical: the worrying future ahead, with a real risk of seeing this country fall into complete chaos due to the deeper and deeper political divide. It still holds together today only because of a reason that will probably vanish in the near future...

Hmmm. Political, as in economic? I've been here three years, and the more I know about this country, the less I understand. And your last sentence, I guess you're referring to Long Live the . . .?

Yeah, really hard to tell what's over the horizon. They've been open, historically, to outside ideas about surviving as a somewhat thriving entity, Who knows if that will keep happening.

Oh yeah, as to OP's list: Whatever! Like a lot of places, they're being dragged, kicking but not exactly screaming, into the so-called modern world.

I think that having a few years as an expat in Ecuador has given you ample preparation for anything you might encounter here. It's certainly taught you to be flexible about most facets of living within a culture different from your own. Thailand is a wonderful country to live in if your don't require it to change to suit your own wants and desires. Live within its own parameters and life is very comfortable here. This is not to say all is rosy... It's not all roses in ANY country. But this country seems to have more flowers than most.

No. There are just that many VOCAL embittered men in Thailand who are unable to adapt to the requirements for a contented life here, and lots of free time/available venue for complaining about it. Most of the expats that I've meet here are quite satisfied with their lot in life.

Add to that the fact that any POSITIVE sounding post made in ThaiVisa is usually challenged by the same 4-5 very vocal negative people, so it 'appears' that there are a lot of embittered middle age men in Thailand. Keep in mind that although this is a popular forum, there are half a dozen OTHER popular forums about Thailand that don't necessarily encounter the same behavior.

To the OP: some of the things you say are true. There is no perfect place on Earth.

I am sure I could come up with a list just as long of reasons why I am happy not to live in your "real world", if you cared to tell us where it is.

But one has to wonder: why did you move to Thailand in the first place?

To the OP: some of the things you say are true. There is no perfect place on Earth.

I am sure I could come up with a list just as long of reasons why I am happy not to live in your "real world", if you cared to tell us where it is.

But one has to wonder: why did you move to Thailand in the first place?

Multiple choice:

1. Temples

2. Women

So...

OP comes to Thailand on holiday.

OP meets a girl and "falls in love".

OP returns to home country and cuts all ties, realising he has found paradise in Thailand.

OP moves to Thailand and shit gets real.

OP realises he made a mistake and moves home, tail between legs and...

OP BLAMES THAILAND.

OP returns to home country and cuts all ties, realising he has found paradise in Thailand.

OP BLAMES THAILAND.

We all know that sit-com; it's been running forever, but, you left out the very frequent episode-ending variations after "gets real:"

Your choice of::

1. death by bucking balcony

2. slow-to-quick gradual-to-sudden suicide via alcohol, drugs, high-risk behavior

3. death by homicide perpetrated by (what OP believed was) a significant other.

4. death by other: random violence, traffic slaughter, etc.

5. permanent incapacity, or disability, as a result of the factors described in 1~4 above.

Consider, also, for your use of "OP:" "desperate mid-life-road-kill loser with some financial means" ? Note: by proposing an alternative for the use of "OP" in this reply, to this particular post, I do not mean to characterize the author of this thread in any nugatory light; the fact said author made it back, and can write what he wrote, suggests he is far to one-side of the mean, and the mode.

cheers, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

OP BLAMES THAILAND.

We all know that sit-com; it's been running forever, but, you left out the very frequent episode-ending variations after "gets real:"

2. slow-to-quick gradual-to-sudden suicide via alcohol, drugs, high-risk behavior

5. permanent incapacity, or disability, as a result of the factors described in 1~4 above.

Consider, also, for your use of "OP:" "desperate mid-life-road-kill loser with some financial means" ? Note: by proposing an alternative for the use of "OP" in this reply, to this particular post, I do not mean to characterize the author of this thread in any nugatory light; the fact said author made it back, and can write what he wrote, suggests he is far to one-side of the mean, and the mode.

Or he can repeat the cycle with a new true love. I know one guy who lost two houses that way and is still searching. the funny part is he considers it easier than back in England. LOL

OP BLAMES THAILAND.

Or he can repeat the cycle with a new true love. I know one guy who lost two houses that way and is still searching. the funny part is he considers it easier than back in England. LOL

how can you lose a house there pretty big things, Maybe buy sat nav.

At a restaurant maybe, but Thai supermarkets have a significant markup on Western produce. While I might agree with some of your other retorts and the op is out of order (I hate to drive in the UK now), I do find your overall reply a bit squeamish and coming across all rose-tinted-glasses esque.

Supermarkets in Thailand are not discount shopping.

Man-points awarded for optimism :)

Man-points awarded for optimism :)

I am not sure who said it first but it was never truer than when applied in Thailand, "second marriages are the triumph of hope over experience".

Prefer " hope" as the reason than sheer unadulterated stupidity.....but hey, I'm an old fashioned romantic :)

Thailand is a wonderful country to live in if your don't require it to change to suit your own wants and desires. Live within its own parameters and life is very comfortable here.

cheesy.gif

Do not wash your hands with soap and water before and after edy.do and after using the toilet.
Rinse off the toilet from the ladle. etc...

Even half not have of what there is in the supermarket UK. And price allmast all double or more..

• 2 weeks later...

Thailand is not Pattaya, or BK, or Hua Hin, or Chiang Mai, or Phuket, or other places with some of those "problems"...

My Thailand is very peaceful, safe, and pleasant...plus cheaper that the other Thailands above..

In my Thailand, I can rent a wonderful small home by a lake for less than $200/month..and have a luxury "buffet" in special occasions.

In my Thailand, I can be surrounded by happy and helpful local people, and very friendly and talkative, even if I do not speak the language...and feel part of the community sharing temples and families events.

In my Thailand, any immigration needs may took me about 15 minutes.... but may takes 30 because I like to chat with the staff and get a free coffee seating comfortably on room with AC to watch the movement..and bumping with a farang friend sometimes.

In my Thailand I found respect and appreciation.

In my Thailand, I can walk with my 25 years younger beautiful Thai wife without somebody thinking that she is a hooker...or I am a millionaire, and I not feeling bad because she is the one with more income than myself, and the employed one.

In my Thailand, I can feel good living with a small retirement at 70, and do nothing to make my living, just relaxing and getting out of trouble... Well...fishing every day from my garden and inventing new cooking.

In my Thailand...finally...I found peace and happiness in my last years... but I understand.... my Thailand may be not the one you were looking at.

Edited by Muzarella

I really must find the time to read this thread/topic [what-have-you],--I drop in occasionally and it veers from blind optimism to jaded nihilism--I guess the happy medium is where most are at??

After about 17 years here, and on the cusp of a move back to , err, 'reality'-I'm really not sure about either option; this certainly is not the same place I found when I arrived all those years ago, but then I've also changed--there are definitely big changes coming for this place in the very 'not too distant' future--how the people and the ex-pat will adapt is anybody's guess, and a large part of me is quietly pleased that I will not be here to find out; maybe, in fact, it's very likely, that I/we will come back and not just for visits, but I think that any prospect for another return of any length of time, will be after whatever changes are coming.

One thing is for sure, having to worry about what one writes on a post, is not something anyone should have to feel, ni a so-called Modern Demcoracy.

some people can be miserable where ever they live, the key if to find things you like about where ever you happen to be. However if you have lived somewhere and your list is completely negative then it might be time to move on to a new place.

Thailand is not Pattaya, or BK, or Hua Hin, or Chiang Mai, or Phuket, or other places with some of those "problems"...

My Thailand is very peaceful, safe, and pleasant...plus cheaper that the other Thailands above..

In my Thailand, I can rent a wonderful small home by a lake for less than $200/month..and have a luxury "buffet" in special occasions.

In my Thailand, I can be surrounded by happy and helpful local people, and very friendly and talkative, even if I do not speak the language...and feel part of the community sharing temples and families events.

In my Thailand, any immigration needs may took me about 15 minutes.... but may takes 30 because I like to chat with the staff and get a free coffee seating comfortably on room with AC to watch the movement..and bumping with a farang friend sometimes.

In my Thailand, I can walk with my 25 years younger beautiful Thai wife without somebody thinking that she is a hooker...or I am a millionaire, and I not feeling bad because she is the one with more income than myself, and the employed one.

In my Thailand, I can feel good living with a small retirement at 70, and do nothing to make my living, just relaxing and getting out of trouble... Well...fishing every day from my garden and inventing new cooking.

In my Thailand...finally...I found peace and happiness in my last years... but I understand.... my Thailand may be not the one you were looking at.

Where do you live Cambodia?

Your wife is not a hooker. She's a goldigger!

Some people who have had little or limited exposure to real life would probably feel the same as you.

Where do you live Cambodia?

Your wife is not a hooker. She's a goldigger!

Some people who have had little or limited exposure to real life would probably feel the same as you.

How about those of us who have lived and worked in several different foreign countries over

the last 40 years, and had lots of exposure to real life?

Many of use feel the same way as Muzarella.

Although my wife is only nine years younger than me, I've found just about the same comfortable and enjoyable life here in Thailand.

In fact, we found the same comfortable and enjoyable life in other countries too.

We moved 'to' new places to explore, rather than 'away' from bad ones we didn't like. None of them were 'Utopia.' But then, none were the horror-show that you wrote about in your original post.

Could it be that it's your view of life that needs a bit of adjustment?