Moving to Thailand with Lao girlfriend and 1 year old daughter

I have a Lao girlfriend (soon to be wife, although we're having to do that in the UK) and son. She has lived in Thailand for 6+ years and does a border run to Cambodia every 30 days for a visa exempt stamp. This seems to be unlimited although in the current climate I am keen to get her added to my Extension which I will hopefully do once we are married.

The border run from Pattaya is fairly easy - leave at 6am and back by 2pm for 1,000 baht.

So you are in the same situation as I - except you are getting married in the UK. Very smart! However take notice that Laos does not recognize foreign marriages between outsiders and Lao citizens. In other words, they dont care if you are married in other countries if you are not registred in Laos. Getting married in Laos is the most difficult thing that I have had to through overhere in 7 years. I strongly advice against it. Staying with your girlfriend in Laos can get you fined up to 5000 usd and she can get in legal trouble here as well. It is said that they dont really uphold that paragraph anymore, but 2 months ago I was questioned - communist-style - and had to pay 20.000 baht for nothing. They can return and collect whenever they see fit, so now we cant stay together. Troublesome it is to not be able to stay with the woman you love and your own daughter. The marriage process here can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years!

I have a Lao girlfriend (soon to be wife, although we're having to do that in the UK) and son. She has lived in Thailand for 6+ years and does a border run to Cambodia every 30 days for a visa exempt stamp. This seems to be unlimited although in the current climate I am keen to get her added to my Extension which I will hopefully do once we are married.

The border run from Pattaya is fairly easy - leave at 6am and back by 2pm for 1,000 baht.

So you are in the same situation as I - except you are getting married in the UK. Very smart! However take notice that Laos does not recognize foreign marriages between outsiders and Lao citizens. In other words, they dont care if you are married in other countries if you are not registred in Laos. Getting married in Laos is the most difficult thing that I have had to through overhere in 7 years. I strongly advice against it. Staying with your girlfriend in Laos can get you fined up to 5000 usd and she can get in legal trouble here as well. It is said that they dont really uphold that paragraph anymore, but 2 months ago I was questioned - communist-style - and had to pay 20.000 baht for nothing. They can return and collect whenever they see fit, so now we cant stay together. Troublesome it is to not be able to stay with the woman you love and your own daughter. The marriage process here can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years!

We've been together a long time and gave up any hope of marrying in Laos! I've always managed to stay in her village, even after we had a baby, by notifying the headman and sharing a glass of Kao Lao! That said, I only go there once a year and we have no intention of living there.

• Like 1

It will be a matter of time before the Lao government will crack down on dual nationality, as to many people openly admit (social media) that they have or are in the process of getting dual nationality with Lao nationality involved.

with stricter border controle, immigration on BOTH sides on high alert, i advice you to keep your questions private in a room with a certified lawyer. (friendly advice!!)

Lao Law on Nationality

Article 1.

Lao nationality ONLY and under ANY circunstance prohibited.

Don't say you didn't know now!

For all Laos involved to know.

Lao Law on Nationality

www.vientianetimes.la

top katern 'constitution;

click "Law on Lao Nationality"

and then make up your own mind.

Actually, eventually there will come a time when a passport is "red stamped" for having too many tourist visas in it.

True if your getting visas for Thailand in Neighboring countries BUT

there is NO problem getting unlimited tourists visas in YOUR OWN country, as least as far as i have ever read or seen anywhere.

any experience Farangs ave getting tourist visas in se asia does not apply to any Asian getting a proper visa for proper reasons in their own country (plus Cambodians can ONLY get any kind of Thai visa in Cambodia)

Changing passport or getting new one means jack shit in the computer

its all there for them to read.

I think you are correct. However, the consulates cannot easily check your record of visa applications. It can be done, but is time consuming and consulates tend to be too busy. For the moment, as others claim, I think a fresh passport is usually sufficient to get further tourist visas within the region.

The immigration computer on entry to Thailand is another matter. Your new passport will likely be linked with the old one. It is possible that an IO could query your ability to support yourself without working even entering with a tourist visa.

It will be a matter of time before the Lao government will crack down on dual nationality, as to many people openly admit (social media) that they have or are in the process of getting dual nationality with Lao nationality involved.

with stricter border controle, immigration on BOTH sides on high alert, i advice you to keep your questions private in a room with a certified lawyer. (friendly advice!!)

Lao Law on Nationality

Article 1.

Lao nationality ONLY and under ANY circunstance prohibited.

Don't say you didn't know now!

I'm not sure how the Lao law on dual nationality is relevant to this thread?

Nobody answered the question about employing her privately as a housekeeper.

Presumably this must function somehow, as a lot of housekeepers are from Burma?

There are different rules for each country for where migrant workers comes from. For those from Myanmar it is easier than the others since an individual can hire them. For the others if I recall correctly it has to be a company or business to do it.

When I found out my Lao girl friend was pregnant we did the Lao style marriage and started to the process of legal marriage in Laos. I was working full time in Thailand and she would do 60 day + 30 day extensions as a tourist to stay with me. After our daughter was born (in Thailand) I immediately applied for her Canadian citizenship. Lao marriage still processing (after nine months). We decided to marry officially in Thailand which was much easier. Once married she become my dependent for visa purpose receiving a Non-O that followed my visa. Same as our daughter. A word of caution, don't mention in Lao the 2 of you have a child together because sex with a Lao unless married is illegal. I was even warned about this by the village headman at our wedding ceremony in Lao.

• Like 1

Your girlfriend would have to do border runs every 30 days.

She could also get a 30 day extension at immigration 1,900 Baht.

If you could get married it would make life a lot easier.

He says she would soon be a "wife"

Why are you staying in Thailand? What's the allure? Why not stay in her country or yours?

Not relevant at all, but nice of you to ask smile.png

We both prefer to stay in thailand and used to stay there together. It is more convenient, cleaner and in Laos a foreigner can not stay with a Lao national except if the are married. It might be hard for anyone to picture, but in my opinion traffic is scarier here. I like Thai food way better than Lao food. I do love Isan food, but up here it's more the prototype of Isan food than the dishes we are used to in Thailand smile.png Now you know!

Oh, and i am from Denmark. Enough said...

Although I agree and share your views and feelings for Thailand (I have been living here for quite a few years and I love it), I am slightly surprised at your last sentence about Denmark. I am not a Dane, but I know your country quite well. It's a beautiful country with very nice people. It has its disadvantages, like weather and high taxes, but to say "enough said...." is not very complimentary and well...

It has been mentioned above, about getting a migrant Work Permit – I will just add that we have had a Lao nanny/maid for several years and had WP for her; each period is 2 years (different rules, than for farang workers) and everything was kindly sorted out at the "one-stop office" at the Amphor and an agent they advised to use (a former experienced employee). There are a number of forms and a health check, among others, so using an agent makes it easier; we paid in total about 10k baht for 2-year WP. Re-entry rules and 90-day address report also applies for migrant workers, and some Immigration Offices may charge a small fee, 100 baht, for the migrant worker's address report.

My GF however is Thai and she's the one applying for permission to employ a migrant worker, but if your Lao GF get/find a job (or proforma), it will be possible to sort out a WP. She may need to go to Lao and obtain a Non-Im Visa based on employment, if she cannot just apply with visa-exemption.
Wish you good luck in Thailand...

smile.png

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 2

When I found out my Lao girl friend was pregnant we did the Lao style marriage and started to the process of legal marriage in Laos. I was working full time in Thailand and she would do 60 day + 30 day extensions as a tourist to stay with me. After our daughter was born (in Thailand) I immediately applied for her Canadian citizenship. Lao marriage still processing (after nine months). We decided to marry officially in Thailand which was much easier. Once married she become my dependent for visa purpose receiving a Non-O that followed my visa. Same as our daughter. A word of caution, don't mention in Lao the 2 of you have a child together because sex with a Lao unless married is illegal. I was even warned about this by the village headman at our wedding ceremony in Lao.

How easy was it to get the Affirmation To Marry document from Laos. I was under the impression that this was difficult to obtain but it is required in order to marry in Thailand.

• Like 1

Get marry at Denmark Embassy in Thailand or Laos, apply Denish citizen @ the same time became legal marriage. Your wife's Visa will be your spouse.

Unfortunately you cannot apply that easily for Danish citizenship...

Your girlfriend would have to do border runs every 30 days.

She could also get a 30 day extension at immigration 1,900 Baht.

If you could get married it would make life a lot easier.

a lot easier in the short term only later to bite you in the ass