US Navy captain sentenced to 46 months for accepting bribes

rooster59

US Navy captain sentenced to 46 months for accepting bribes

JULIE WATSON, Associated Press

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A federal judge in San Diego has sentenced a Navy captain who oversaw operations in the U.S. Pacific Fleet to 46 months in prison for providing classified information to a Malaysian defense contractor in exchange for luxury hotel stays and the services of prostitutes.

Capt. Daniel Dusek is the highest-ranking officer to be charged in one of the military's worst bribery scandals.

Also Friday, U.S. District Judge Janis L. Sammartino ordered Dusek to pay a $70,000 fine for giving ship and submarine schedules to help Leonard Glenn Francis carry out a scheme in which his company, Glenn Defense Marine Asia Ltd., or GDMA, overbilled the maritime branch by more than $34 million.

Dusek told the court he will never forgive himself for his actions.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-03-26

whistling.gif This has to do with "Fat Leonard" one Leonard Glenn Francis and his company Glenn Defense Marine Asia Ltd who is alleged to have over charged the U.S. Navy for more than $34 million in Port services fees for U.S ships on port visits to ports in Malaysia, and possibly Thailand (Phuket)....but Phuket is not proven.

The "prostitute" angle comes into it because "Fat Leonard" apparently arranged for Navy officers to select his service company by supplying 5 star hotel rooms and accompanying female companionship for high ranking officers when they recommended his Port services company for Port Visit stops in Southeast Asia.

Capt. Dusek is only one of a number of U.S. Navy officers who are allegedly involved in the scandal....Dusek is only the first one to admit any wrongdoing, and be convicted.

"Dusek told the court he will never forgive himself for his actions."

And is that somehow supposed to elicit our sympathy?

Happy to see the consequences are severe. The man should be happy he wasn't convicted by Chinese courts nowadays.

Why was this not a court martial?

Kurt

That will come next. It was civilian investigation that he got caught up in, so the civilian courts dealt with him first, then the military will court martial him and dismiss from service.

TH

This is simply the way the world and that includes the military works. Cushy consulting

jobs wait those who retire from the armed forces with the vast military industrial complex.

As I understood it the real crime was inside information on where the various fleets

were headed for I&I so he could be there waiting to provide services. This would make

ships vulnerable to attack by those inclined to do so. Thank goodness the list is small.

The US fleet in foreign ports is always going to be charged a premium. 34 million is some

bean counters estimation of what the Navy was overcharged. Chump change. The

investigation and trials will cost more. Low hanging fruit as far as I am concerned. coffee1.gif

This is simply the way the world and that includes the military works. Cushy consulting

jobs wait those who retire from the armed forces with the vast military industrial complex.

As I understood it the real crime was inside information on where the various fleets

were headed for I&I so he could be there waiting to provide services. This would make

ships vulnerable to attack by those inclined to do so. Thank goodness the list is small.

The US fleet in foreign ports is always going to be charged a premium. 34 million is some

bean counters estimation of what the Navy was overcharged. Chump change. The

investigation and trials will cost more. Low hanging fruit as far as I am concerned. coffee1.gif

Your assumptions about "Cushy consulting jobs await" couldn't be farther from the truth. Fact of the matter most people work harder in their jobs after retirement. I know, Im one of the guys working harder.

Loose lips sink ships.... IMHO, this is tantamount to treason

Baloney. It's bad, most esp. from a senior officer, and justice running its course he deserves what he gets (with possibly more to come on the military side actually), but the treason thing is over the top and just cheap piling on.

Treason

"the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government."

Loose lips sink ships.... IMHO, this is tantamount to treason

Baloney. It's bad, most esp. from a senior officer, and justice running its course he deserves what he gets (with possibly more to come on the military side actually), but the treason thing is over the top and just cheap piling on.

Treason

"the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government."

*Inflammatory remark edited out*

The OP states that... "....a federal judge in San Diego has sentenced a navy captain, who oversaw operations in the US pacific fleet, to 46 months in prison for providing CLASSIFIED INFORMATION to a Malaysian.."

On 12 October 2000, the USS Cole was attacked, whist in port to refuel, and as a result 17 sailors died and another 39 were injured, undoubtedly because the whereabouts of the ship was known, and an attack could be prepared, so I very much doubt that the men aboard the USS Cole would disagree with my statement that ... ("Loose lips sink ships")

Yes, this was deemed a terrorist attack, but who knows what the Malaysian might have done with the information that he had been supplied with, thru further bribery or extortion.... Which obviously might include passing it on to someone within the Al Queda or IS hierarchy.... But either way, as we have seen, terrorists are an enemy of the USA, and a growing number of other countries, as well, with said terrorists, at times, getting their hands on SENSITIVE and/or CLASSIFIED INFORMATION

And.... "...planning for the attack was disgusted at the Kuala Lumpur Al Queea SUMMIT" .... ".... Which was held from 5 to 8 January 2000. Along with other plotters, it was attended by future 11 September high jacker Khalid Al-Mindhar..." ...." He (Mindhar) would later return to the US to participate in 9/11, on American Airlines flight 77, which flew into the pentagon, killing 184 victims""

So here we see that Malaysia is a hotbed for terrorist, who undoubtedly would be able to get their hands on any information circulating within the capital of Malaysia.... Or elsewhere, for that matter.

But also, let's not forget the thousands that died in the twin towers attack, which was part of the same operation, as discussed at the Al Queda SUMMIT, in January of 2000.

Further... ..."as a result of the Cole bombing..... The navy stepped up its anti terrorism methods (RAM), which are meant to complicate the planning of a terrorist attack by making it difficult to DISCERN A PREDICTABLE PATTERN to its security posture"

So here we see the navy captain in question, selling information to a Malaysian, who could on sell it to anyone, NULLIFYING THE NAVY's anti terrorism methods, by letting them know exactly were the Navy's ships would be, and when.

And whilst I'm sure that the captain did not intent to commit treason, but only to stuff his own pockets with money, the possibility that the information he supplied, could have led to another disaster for the US navy, which cannot be overlooked...... (But, but your honor, I was only giving him information on troop movements)

Also.... Your definition of treason has been somewhat redefined since medieval times, especially in American, and now reads per this attachment...

post-249978-0-10497300-1459069488_thumb.

Edited by Scott

Bravo. You can cite US Code.

Not treason. Baloney. Calm down.

It's all cool, right?

In a world sitting on a powder keg, ready to explode.

With governments sinking fortunes into intelligence gathering and monitoring

And then a senior naval officer, flaps his gums about classified information.... Well what point in spending all that money.... Or swearing an oath of allegiance?

And what point in calling something classified, for that matter?

And, as an aside, it's not that I can provide an accurate definition of treason,, it's more that you can't provide provide one....

Actually," balcony "is probably an accurate term for your version of the word treason....so as a counter argument... Hold tight to that word, it will save you having to think... Which might give you a headache

It's all cool, right?

And then a senior naval officer, flaps his gums about classified information.... Well what point in spending all that money.... Or swearing an oath of allegiance?

And, as an aside, it's not that I can provide an accurate definition of treason,, it's more that you can't provide provide one....

Actually," balcony "is probably an accurate term for your version of the word treason....so as a counter argument... Hold tight to that word, it will save you having to think... Which might give you a headache

I provide provided one. Here it is again:

Treason

It's all cool, right?

Clearly, what the Capt did was wrong and he's paying the price. But he wasn't charged with treason because it wasn't. Treason is giving aid and comfort to the enemy. A military contractor isn't the enemy. Leonard Francis wasn't going to use classified information to hurt the US. It was about making money. Big difference.

It's all cool, right?

Actually," balony" is probably an accurate term for your version of the word treason....so as a counter argument... Hold tight to that word, it will save you having to think... Which might give you a headache

Clearly, what the Capt did was wrong and he's paying the price. But he wasn't charged with treason because it wasn't. Treason is giving aid and comfort to the enemy. A military contractor isn't the enemy. Leonard Francis wasn't going to use classified information to hurt the US. It was about making money. Big difference.

Hawker9000 is providing incorrect and misleading information by quoting versions of laws that pertain to countries other than the US, so his comments are irrelevant, because this is about a US navy officer, treated under US law, for offenses against the US people's, so he should be ignored... End of

And so.... I'm glad that you can see the difference, and quote back terms from US law....And you may be right in that Francis wasn't going to use the classified information to hurt the US.... Information that he should never have had, by the way... Being classified and all...

However, you also noted that it was about making money.

So along comes Mohammed taliban, with a million dollars, and asks Francis for any useful info... Francis, then makes a million dollars by telling Mohammed taliban when and were certain US naval asserts will be.

"Boom" goes a US naval asset, because Mohammed taliban used the information, given him by Francis.

This equates to giving aid to the enemy, because the US captain could not guarantee that the information would stay with the corrupt person he was passing classified information too... So... Treason. ( it's kind of in the nature of corruption)

Also, In sentencing, judge sammartino said..." Your actions were potentially jeopardizing national security."

Jeopardizing national security?... Again... Treason

All we know for certain, is that corrupt people were bribed into exchanging classified information, for an assumed ( not guaranteed) reason... And let's face it... How many times, throughout history, has treason been committed for personal gain or corruption?

And this debate, because of my comment "loose lips sink ships", where I didn't even mention treason.... I was simply goaded into extrapolating a situation by the intelligent counter argument, of "balony", by hawker9000

Now... In not a yank.... But I can assure you, that if this was an Australian naval officer, I would expect him to spend a long long time in a dark hole, to contemplate the "what ifs" of his actions.

But then, we don't have as many ships or sailors to waste as the US navy, so maybe it doesn't matter as much to Americans.

What the Navy Captain did is no worse than those acts performed by General Petraeus or Hillary Clinton and her numerous aides.

All of them mishandled classified documents and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

What the Navy Captain did is no worse than those acts performed by General Petraeus or Hillary Clinton and her numerous aides.

All of them mishandled classified documents and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

What Dusek and Petraeus did was intentional and deliberate. With Clinton, it's more "mishandling" of classified material, and even that charge is iffy.

What Dusek and Petraeus did was intentional and deliberate. With Clinton, it's more "mishandling" of classified material, and even that charge is iffy.

So her refusal to accept an account at state.gov and the government Blackberry was all an accident?

She made the sole decision to use the private server set up in her NY basement, continued to use her unsecured Blackberry and then hired Platte River to handle it all despite the company not having a federally issued security clearance.

All of this was a willful act on her part alone.

Amazing.

So her refusal to accept an account at state.gov and the government Blackberry was all an accident?

She made the sole decision to use the private server set up in her NY basement, continued to use her unsecured Blackberry and then hired Platte River to handle it all despite the company not having a federally issued security clearance.

Amazing.

What I mean is that Dusek and Petraeus intentionally provided classified material to an individual(s) not cleared to receive it.

Amazing.

What I mean is that Dusek and Petraeus intentionally provided classified material to an individual(s) not cleared to receive it.

Care to share with us what level clearance Sidney Blumenthal held during this time frame?

How about David Kendall's clearance level? He was not in an employee of the federal government. Did he even have a clearance?

He was her private attorney that had a thumb drive containing all of her messages and allegedly deleted only the personal ones.

What about any of his law clerks? Did they have clearances and did any of them assist him in deleting her "personal" emails?

What about her server, Platte River? It has already been published that none of them, along with the company, had clearances issued by DSS?

And let's not forget MX Logic, Inc. They developed her email encryption system and would have been able to gain access to her emails.

Sheer stupidity is not a permissible defense on her part.

Amazing.

Care to share with us what level clearance Sidney Blumenthal held during this time frame?

How about David Kendall's clearance level? He was not in an employee of the federal government. Did he even have a clearance?

He was her private attorney that had a thumb drive containing all of her messages and allegedly deleted only the personal ones.

What about any of his law clerks? Did they have clearances and did any of them assist him in deleting her "personal" emails?

What about her server, Platte River? It has already been published that none of them, along with the company, had clearances issued by DSS?

And let's not forget MX Logic, Inc. They developed her email encryption system and would have been able to gain access to her emails.

Sheer stupidity is not a permissible defense on her part.

Ah... Good... Now we have some intelligent people weighing in... Americans I assume.

I've pushed " like" to both sides of the better advised contributors now, because they ( you) are raising valid points, even though you still haven't decided what to "label" this "illegal" act as... so for awhile, I'll sit back and watch as you all try to work out if it's traitorous, stupidity, greed or good old corruption.

After of course, seeking opinions, on wether the US voters will vote for a person ( Clinton) who has already "mishandled" classified information... Sounds like someone to trust, at a time when democracy is surrounded by enemies, doesn't it?

And... For thought... A person who commits treason is known as a traitor.... And a traitor is someone who betrays his own political party, nation, team, family. friends, ethnic group, religion, social class.....

Mm... Nation... Family and friends... Social class.

But at day's end... Loose lips sink ships.

• 3 weeks later...

It's all cool, right?

Actually," balony" is probably an accurate term for your version of the word treason....so as a counter argument... Hold tight to that word, it will save you having to think... Which might give you a headache

Hawker9000 is providing incorrect and misleading information by quoting versions of laws that pertain to countries other than the US, so his comments are irrelevant, because this is about a US navy officer, treated under US law, for offenses against the US people's, so he should be ignored... End of

And so.... I'm glad that you can see the difference, and quote back terms from US law....And you may be right in that Francis wasn't going to use the classified information to hurt the US.... Information that he should never have had, by the way... Being classified and all...

However, you also noted that it was about making money.

So along comes Mohammed taliban, with a million dollars, and asks Francis for any useful info... Francis, then makes a million dollars by telling Mohammed taliban when and were certain US naval asserts will be.

"Boom" goes a US naval asset, because Mohammed taliban used the information, given him by Francis.

This equates to giving aid to the enemy, because the US captain could not guarantee that the information would stay with the corrupt person he was passing classified information too... So... Treason. ( it's kind of in the nature of corruption)

Also, In sentencing, judge sammartino said..." Your actions were potentially jeopardizing national security."

Jeopardizing national security?... Again... Treason

All we know for certain, is that corrupt people were bribed into exchanging classified information, for an assumed ( not guaranteed) reason... And let's face it... How many times, throughout history, has treason been committed for personal gain or corruption?

And this debate, because of my comment "loose lips sink ships", where I didn't even mention treason.... I was simply goaded into extrapolating a situation by the intelligent counter argument, of "balony", by hawker9000

Now... In not a yank.... But I can assure you, that if this was an Australian naval officer, I would expect him to spend a long long time in a dark hole, to contemplate the "what ifs" of his actions.

But then, we don't have as many ships or sailors to waste as the US navy, so maybe it doesn't matter as much to Americans.

Here. This should satiate your rabid thirst for some American officer blood. Technically not charged with "treason", but multiple counts of espionage & attempted espionage, which also carry the death penalty. They may also help you understand the difference between something actually approaching treason and mere conniving with an unscrupulous foreign port services contractor trying to get a leg up on his competition in return for $$, i.e., taking a bribe (but I'm not holding my breath; your agenda is pretty obvious).

Not a yank? No? Really? Now who would've believed it? coffee1.gif ("Loose lips sink ships". 'Love it! Your knowledge of WWII poster art is certainly impressive... Not particularly relevant to the case in hand, but impressive enough I guess.)