Extra step now for opening a bank account

dcnx

Why would anyone go to Bangkok Bank anyway. This is the last resort if one has no other option.

I would have thought the Siam bank or SBC or whatever it's called would be the last resort.

I would not bother what any banks say, they are like Immigration Offices, each individual bank makes up it's own rules.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone go to Bangkok Bank anyway. This is the last resort if one has no other option.

Why is that?

Been with them 8 years and never had any issues at all.

I like the fact I can have a foreign currency account with them and also their Internet banking is excellent.

"I like the fact I can have a foreign currency account with them and also their Internet banking is excellent".

Excellent?? They have never once answered any of my emails, do they answer yours? Tell the truth now.

I agree, after being knocked back by some young sweetie at Kaisakorn because I didn't have a work permit despite my protests, I went around to the Bank of Bangkok at Central Rama 111 and a more mature woman was able to open the account without any problem at all. I was treated courteously and efficiently and have had no problems at all with them

Why is that?

I like the fact I can have a foreign currency account with them and also their Internet banking is excellent.

Agree wholeheartedly. I deal with the 2nd branch and our regular gal rep is sensational---English skills, product knowledge and professionalism.

I can maybe understand the confirmation of address (smells like a Certificate of Residence....which you can get from either Immigration or your embassy/consulate).....but how does either Immigration or your embassy/consulate confirm the validity of a passport? I've never even seen a form which would do that. Goofy.

Edit: To confirm the validity of the passport, maybe take a video of an Immigration official or embassy/consulate official holding your passport and saying "Hmmm....looks okay to me!"

When you get a new passport the embassy issues a letter addressed to immigrations confirming that they issued the new passport. It can't be that difficult to do, assuming the embassy is willing to be helpful. Passport number, date of issue, date of expiry. Not rocket science, as they say. The same would/could apply to immigrations.

With all due respect...

This is the kind of sensationalized thread topic titles that should not be allowed in Thai Visa

until it has been thoroughly proven. As it causes undue confusion

Those who have resided here for years know many times what one branch states is not law

but instead confusion of one misinformed worker

We also know that many times "why ask why" is standard since many of their rules make no

sense at all but this is quite ludicrous & even more hard to believe than usual

"This applies to existing customers opening new accounts as well as new customers."

So basically saying your existing account may have been opened with a fake passport but we will allow it?

But no new ones ok?

I think this title should be redone as "Branch X of BKB Claims this" until proven true.

PS: Could this be something originally directed at US Citizens for FBAR/FATCA etc?

You're going to suffer undue confusion if someone says something, whether it is true or not? Gee, you poor little thing you.

Did you know with BKK Bank you can't even close an account, unless you go to the branch you opened it? biggrin.png. No joke, still have one from Lad Prao, zero balance for many years. Online Banking even works still. Their costs due to bureaucrazy must be skyrocketing.

Just want to say that firstly I have no complaints about Bangkok Bank and that my local branch cannot help me enough.

Secondly I have an account in Bangkok which I have been told will be closed automatically after one year of no activity and a zero balance.. This will be in March 2017 as my FX company accidently sent my pension to that account which I had to transfer to the local account!

And why do you say this? Or would you rather stay mysterious?

I've been regularly banking with Bangkok Bank for years, have bought in over US$2M and have had no problems. Also, their on-line banking site works very well.

If you walk into a bank in Thailand; dressed smartly, with a passport and a rental contract, with a Thai (who can translate) in tow and a decent sum of money to deposit - you will have no issues whatsoever opening an account both local or foreign currency. If, on the other hand, you turn up in a wifebeater, shorts and sandals with 1,000 Baht and a tourist visa - you will be told to sling your hook 9 times out of 10.

If the bank thinks you're a decent person with large sums of money available to them - they will want your business. If they think you're an ignorant *** with no money - not so much.

It's Asia so do things the Asian way. Or don't and whine about it on ThaiVisa instead.

I had no problems wearing a singlet, boardys,surfer joe thongs and plenty of money.Luckily Thais don't think like you.They will do business with anyone,that is one of the reasons i have been coming to Thailand for 40 years.

I just opened a Bank Account at Bangkok Bank in Khon Kaen two days ago. At first they said I had to go to a main branch in the city but the woman said she would ask her supervisor to be sure. Supervisor said I could do there. I had to show my passport as well as have a copy of my marriage license for some reason as well. They gave me a bunch of papers to fill out and I was done. Took about 30 minutes about. I have also used Bangkok bank to transfer Funds from my account to my wifes Bangkok Bank account previously through ACH. Directions on the Bangkok bank website. The charges to transfer were better than anything else I have seen.

All in all process was much easier than I expected. The hardest part was waiting in the que to get to the teller. Thats my own fault for going in the afternoon vice as soon as they open.

Lot of misinformation in this thread.

I think it has mostly to do with those bank employees knowing diddly squat

I think it really has more to do with individual bank managers have much discretion over how they run their branches and who they chose to accept as customers.

And thus, how they train their staff.

6 years ago, I opened a savings passbook account with Bangkok Bank at Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai. All I seemed to need was 10,000 baht and my passport. From memory, the teller didn't need to consult the manager.

I've made transfers in AUD to Bangkok Bank for 5 years, never had a problem. And the exchange rate to baht is quite reasonable compared to market cross-rates.

Why is that?

"I like the fact I can have a foreign currency account with them and also their Internet banking is excellent".

Excellent?? They have never once answered any of my emails, do they answer yours? Tell the truth now.

What do I need to email them for?

Everything works like clockwork, I do almost everything online. On the very rare occasion I need something, I go and speak to them.

Exactly the same as my UK bank accounts, can't remember last time I went into my branch, all done online.

I can't think of any reason to email my bank here or in the UK, for what? In fact, I don't think I have ever emailed either of them!

Edited by kjhbigv

I can maybe understand the confirmation of address (smells like a Certificate of Residence....which you can get from either Immigration or your embassy/consulate).....but how does either Immigration or your embassy/consulate confirm the validity of a passport? I've never even seen a form which would do that. Goofy.

Edit: To confirm the validity of the passport, maybe take a video of an Immigration official or embassy/consulate official holding your passport and saying "Hmmm....looks okay to me!"

When you get a new passport the embassy issues a letter addressed to immigrations confirming that they issued the new passport. It can't be that difficult to do, assuming the embassy is willing to be helpful. Passport number, date of issue, date of expiry. Not rocket science, as they say. The same would/could apply to immigrations.

Do you think that a letter from the embassy difficult to forge than a passport? how can you beat that confirmation letter from the embassy not fake? who confirms the letter be?

Bangkok Bank is the only bank that can direct deposit Social Security checks for Americans. Other than that, I can't think of any reasons. Would you

care to elaborate on why Bangkok Bank is inferior?

Bangkok Bank is the only bank that can direct deposit Social Security checks for Americans. Other than that, I can't think of any reasons. Would you

care to elaborate on why Bangkok Bank is inferior?

I accept that, for you poor chaps, if it's really the case.

I'm German and left that sh*tplace 16 years ago. Have opened and closed multiple accounts, bought houses and condos, no problems, besides that Bankok Bank disaster in he beginning. No need to agitate me, I compare them to Sparkasse in Germany. Some may know.

The U.K. embassy will issue a certified copy of passport for about 1800 Baht. It takes about half a day.

No need to read any more of this down to I said you saidand but but but I had no problemopening a BBK account last year just easier to send money from the states. Anyone who has been in thailand for awhile knows that you donot always get what youwant most people just move on to the next branch, window, or what ever and get therebusiness taken care of, no sense dewlling on the fun of living here unless of course you have a big chip on your shoulder. As my girlfriend always says you do notlike Thailand move on.

28 years with Bangkok Bank and nary a problem, if anything at least as good as service if not better than my home country. Internet banking, Credit card, friendly, helpful service always.

I opened my first Bangkok Bank account in Phuket in the mid '80's. When I moved to Chiang Mai I didn't have to go to Phuket to close my account, the Chiang Mai office just transferred the little funds I had there to my new account. I assume the account just timed out and automatically was closed with no funds in it.

From the OP - "This applies to existing customers opening new accounts as well as new customers."

Just last week my Bangkok Bank rep came to my office to switch my just expired fixed account into a new account so obvious doesn't apply to existing customers. In case some may not be aware, when a fixed account expires they normally close it and create a new account with the new terms.

Saying that xx bank is bad due to a bad experience at one branch is myopic. It could apply to every bank name in Thailand, some branches have a clue some don't.

I agree completely with Tywais. My experience with Bangkok Bank is not quite as long as his --- still many years --- but for two minor miscues which were easy to fix I have had nothing but better than good service. That has involved three branches of the bank in two cities including both foreign and domestic currency accounts. So, for so many (not all) of the posts above, I just don't understand! I see several complaints basically due to lack of understanding, incomplete reporting of the real facts, just spewing nonsense, or simply "complainers" and people who have problems adjusting to a different place than "home."

You don't have to go to Kad Suan Kaew branch of Bangkok Bank to do your business, but I agree with NancyL that that branch has developed great patience and understanding of foreign persons' needs --- and that includes a great deal of patience with some weird (and loud) foreigners too easily overheard at the next desk when you are doing business at the bank. I suspect that other branches of the bank --- and other banks, generally --- may not have the experience and patience to deal with foreigners, especially those who tend to be loud, verbose or just pound the desk!

I am not saying that some of the procedures are not awkward. I have thought this so and still do and don't understand how branch people learn all those stamps and forms, but upon return to my home country from time to time, I have also found some difficult situations with banks because of "procedures" or "paperwork."

Errors? There was one very minor error recently (not at the KSK branch), actually, for which I received copious apologies ( I had made no complaint, actually, but the staff was ahead of me when I came to ask about the problem !) --- and made startlingly polite effort immediately and upon subsequent visits to make amends. There was no "saving face." This included a direct apology followed by an obvious effort tofix the problem. Actually, they had already done so. When I entered the bank on subsequent business, the individual who made the very simple (easily understood but uncomfortable for me) error, actually got out of her chair and came to greet and help me. She still does despite my thanks and mai phen rai !

To generalize, I think after many years of watching ThaiVisa Chiang Mai that many of the complaints posted here are ill-founded, incomplete, ill-expressed, ignorant or simply from nutty misfits. That is too bad, but that's the nature of ThaiVisa. Anyone can come along and post whatever they want. Takes more than a grain of salt handy to read it all!

Edited by Mapguy

I have spoken about my experience with Bangkok Bank: two cities and a few branches. The only complaint that I have with other banks --- and I have very limited experience --- is about their general lack of experience in dealing with foreigners so bank people can be awkward. I would just like to remind people that this is Thailand where people, to start with, speak Thai, and whose business is basically Thai. Why are you special?

Did you know with BKK Bank you can't even close an account, unless you go to the branch you opened it? biggrin.png. No joke, still have one from Lad Prao, zero balance for many years. Online Banking even works still. Their costs due to bureaucrazy must be skyrocketing.

Don't close it then

Why is that?

Ten years plus for me. Got 3 accounts, credit cards and a debit card that uses a chip to hopefully prevent it being skimmed.

Internet and mobile banking works well.

A large branch in town with English speaking staff, and some are so 'cute'......

ATMs all over the place.

A pleasure to go in there and deal with them...(rarely necessary) ... I wish my UK/Jersey account was as easy to deal with, now they are problematic.

Edited by jacko45k

Besides it being the best choice, Bangkok Bank is the only bank that has a US branch. Edited by aronp1

Besides it being the best choice, Bangkok Bank is the only bank that has a US branch.

It appears that Kasikorn still has their Los Angeles office. Both BBLs New York and KBanks LA offices are not traditional retail bank offices, but are offices of their respective banks.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/en/serviceschannel/searchservicechannel/overseasbranches/pages/overseasbranches2.aspx

Why is that?

What do I need to email them for?

Everything works like clockwork, I do almost everything online. On the very rare occasion I need something, I go and speak to them.

Exactly the same as my UK bank accounts, can't remember last time I went into my branch, all done online.

I can't think of any reason to email my bank here or in the UK, for what? In fact, I don't think I have ever emailed either of them!

What a very unusual post, not critisising you for that, I cannot go and speak to the staff at my local upcountry branch, none of them speak any English.

I only speak basic Thai. Banks have other services apart from putting money in and taking money out, or transferring it. which may require getting in touch.

There is a need to contact them, although I don't have to very often. My UK bank always answer my e-mails.

Besides it being the best choice, Bangkok Bank is the only bank that has a US branch.
It appears that Kasikorn still has their Los Angeles office. Both BBLs New York and KBanks LA offices are not traditional retail bank offices, but are offices of their respective banks.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/en/serviceschannel/searchservicechannel/overseasbranches/pages/overseasbranches2.aspx

I'm sure they are just offices not actual a bank functioning location. Just like Chase bank has an office in Bangkok but you can't do banking there.

Yes, one branch does this, the other that. My experience is multiple times negative, so I wont touch them with a stick again. Does not mean you could not have the complete opposite experience. TiT.

First you say "why would anyone go to BKB", then when asked to explain you admit that it could be just you.

It's like saying that you went one day to Tokyo and it was raining, so it must be raining all the time in Japan.

I wrote that already. I tried to use the Singapore branch to transfer money for purchasing a condo. To no avail. I tried to do that again with a US$ account in BKK. Could not be done. So I went to UOB and I am happy since. Not to forget the free 10mTHB accident insurance :)

Did you know with BKK Bank you can't even close an account, unless you go to the branch you opened it? biggrin.png.

That's patently false.

If your balance goes below a fixed amount for one year (I believe the threshold is 2,000 baht) the account will be closed.

No....at least with Kasikorn Bank, as long as you keep 50 THB in the account, it will stay open forever. I have an account with Kasikorn Bank in Bangkok, 62 Baht balance....haven't touched it in about 9 years. Still active.