THE England thread

rijit

Just idling: if there was to be a new manager, which home grown manager could it possibly be? I can only come up with a short list of two, neither really on:

Howe.

Southgate.

don howe died in december mate.

it'll be allardyce won't it? i certainly hope so.

I was thinking of another. Just because he's English and managing a premier league club. I don't think it's on, by the way.

Just idling: if there was to be a new manager, which home grown manager could it possibly be? I can only come up with a short list of two, neither really on:

Howe.

Southgate.

Allardyce? I hadn't considered Big Sam. Simple, pragmatic, instills confidence in problematic teams. Full of fight.

Get a manager who is tactically savvy and not a card carrying member of England's old boy network. Not so easy to find I know.

Too bad that idiot Capello has likely ruined it for a foreigner.

Howe.

Southgate.

Possibly means Eddie.

really? ;) #thatwasthejoke

Still make hodgsons decision to make changes right.

Thought that Hendersons lack of game time.showed had the right ish ideas but delivery was borderline shocking. Surprisingly Wiltshires first touch let him down and was caught in possession both happened far to often suppose the same asHenderson applies ,, game time.But better rid now than later. Can see where Hodgson was coming from putting vardy down the centre but sterling out wide ,,, wasted. still not all doom and gloom,, the defence has had 3 games together always Useful. Can't wait for someone to actually come at us we've got frightening ability/pace on the break which barring the bacs havnt had the chance to use yet. To me England look like a team that's busting at the bit to give someone a real spanking.. France would do.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your post is full of contradictions, how can you say the manager was correct to make changes and then criticise the players he bought in ? Surely you don;t use a major tournament to give players game time ?

How have the defence had 3 games together ?

You are correct though, it is not all doom and gloom and who knows our strikers may well finish a few of the countless chances they have had so far, but your constant support of the manager is beyond belief.

The Sky commentators cannot say what England's opponent will be in the last 16 round based on the ongoing Group F matches so I will*.

After 30 minutes if the scores remain as is....... Iceland

Likelihood of change before the two matches reaches full time is high (only 1-0 in both matches)

All 4 teams could still quite easily make that 2nd spot and meet England, but the least likely is Austria, followed by Hungary - ie Iceland then Portugal are the most likely

*They are seemingly not allowed to talk about the scores in other contending matches during the course of a live game. Perhaps EUFA has not heard of the internet and smart phones.

Edited by SantiSuk

At half time the position remains Iceland as runners up

All four could still meet us

Portugal having levelled are now more likely to be the ones to replace Iceland as runners up (if anyone does)

Still Iceland at 60 minutes. Scores/results have been bouncing around and it is now even more likely that it will not end up as Iceland that faces England.

Current table

Hungary 7 points 3 GD

Iceland 3 points 0 GD

Portugal 2 /-1

Austria 2 /-2

70th minute. Iceland and Portugal now have identical 2nd place records - 3 points and 0 GD each. Dunno what EUFA do about that.would face England If they then count total goals scored by each of those teams then Portugal

Would much prefer Iceland for England - they look exhausted and presumably have a thin squad cf Portugal. They also look most likely to drop a point from here, but Portugal are hardly secure at 3-3.

I'd say it's 75% likely to be Portugal.

In Nice at 8pm BST on Monday 27th June BTW. Good long recovery time for England - less so but long enough for one of these teams that will face us.

Edited by SantiSuk

Still Iceland at 60 minutes. Scores/results have been bouncing around and it is now even more likely that it will not end up as Iceland that faces England.

Current table

Hungary 7 points 3 GD

Iceland 3 points 0 GD

Portugal 2 /-1

Austria 2 /-2

70th minute. Iceland and Portugal now have identical 2nd place records - 3 points and 0 GD each. Dunno what EUFA do about that.

Would much prefer Iceland for England - they look exhausted and presumably have a thin squad cf Portugal. They also look most likely to drop a point from here, but Portugal are hardly secure at 3-3.

Just said on commentary Portugal would finish 2nd due to less bookings.

• Like 1

I liked it for the info Bankokhatter - not the result.

Full time approaching and it's looking like Portugal. D_amn. Good chance we go out I say - BUT Ronaldo is looking to be carrying an injury.

No real pressure for Hungary and Portugal to fight each other any more. Iceland look real unlikely to get a goal and a win over Austria.

Edited by SantiSuk

YIPPEE - Iceland won it with a last second goal!!!

They face England. A result all round!

Portugal possibly out? Finish on 3 points having not tried in the last 10 minutes thinking they were secure. Haha Would be even more fantastic. Bye bye posers - sorry for the other 8 of you! But 0 GD must make them likely contender for a third place qualification?

Edited by SantiSuk

Wales must be cursing?

Lets face it Iceland are easy peasy and 14 players plus Roy better not plan on coming back if they can't dispatch them. Not even really giantkillers. Superb job by them but in reality their games were of interest to 99.99999999% of the planet (being desperately heroic, but desperately boring games of which tonight looked to be no exception, apart form the last seconds when on a backdrop of a 30 minute pounding by Austria they broke out and had a pitch long 3 on one+golie run-in; how they kept their heads to make it an easyish tap in Thor only knows). I woke the family with my roar - have not done that in any of England's three matcheslaugh.png

By this time next week the little country story of the Euros will be giving honourable mentions to NI and Iceland but only Wales will go down in the annals (i'm betting/hoping).

It's war with Iceland again folks but this time its the real thing, much more important than life and death cod (to mangle heavily from Shankly).

More bus parking!

I hadn't thought of that!

OK so lets select all four wing backs this time. Kane and Smalling as joint centre forwards. Add whichever centre backs and midfielders come to hand.

But seriously, her's one for y'all to take potshots at:

Hart

Cahill Smalling

Walker Dier Rose

Lalana Alli Rashford

Sturridge Kane

Plan B if still 0-0 with 30 to go

Pull on a couple of more defensive minded solid citizens (Milner being 1) and also Vardy (ie those three). Tactically fall back to draw Iceland out and rely on Vardy to get round the back

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

More bus parking!

I hadn't thought of that!

OK so lets select all four wing backs this time. Kane and Smalling as joint centre forwards. Add whichever centre backs and midfielders come to hand.

But seriously, her's one for y'all to take potshots at:

Hart

Cahill Smalling

Walker Dier Rose

Lalana Alli Rashford

Sturridge Kane

Pull on a couple of more defensive minded solid citizens (Milner being 1) and also Vardy (ie those three). Tactically fall back to draw Iceland out and rely on Vardy to get round the back

Id have Rooney in that midfield and I'm a City fan...bladdy hell.

....... But seriously, her's one for y'all to take potshots at:

Hart

Cahill Smalling

Walker Dier Rose

Lalana Alli Rashford

Sturridge Kane

Id have Rooney in that midfield and I'm a City fan...bladdy hell.

Woops - forgot about Wayne. He takes Lalana's place, who can come on for Rashford if the new boy is not doing the effective tight control ball-to-foot that he's capable of.

Edited by SantiSuk

Actually we'll all be in it together after tomorrow.

Can any of you sing the Dambusters theme tune?

Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da

etc.

Sorry it's a bit out of tune, I'm tone deaf.

• Like 1

etc.

silly, that's ring of fire by johnny cash.

etc.

silly, that's ring of fire by johnny cash.

I thought it was the Wedding March? w00t.gif