THE England thread

rijit

Even at 1 0 down never felt as though we were going to lose. It has to go down as the ross barcley night howver as they tired odd boy and sterling became more and more  influentual. Ali was quite  rose was lucky .it wasnt a better team/attack  . so much for the torrid atmosphere .. was it my coverage? but even in the early stages @ 1 .0   it  felt strangly flat and dont think the ground was  even full.. anyways another 3 points for the machine that is southgates  england.

Based on his previous managerial experience I thought Southgate would be a complete dead loss. I am happy to eat my words and the team he is building is very exciting.

It would be nice to have a natural left winger in the team and I don't rate any English centre backs. If England keep the ball in the opponents half for most of the games they should be OK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, champers said:

Based on his previous managerial experience I thought Southgate would be a complete dead loss. I am happy to eat my words and the team he is building is very exciting.

It would be nice to have a natural left winger in the team and I don't rate any English centre backs. If England keep the ball in the opponents half for most of the games they should be OK.

Agree with that but I think the biggest weakest link is Pickford.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Agree with that but I think the biggest weakest link is Pickford.

I like the fact that he is gobby and should get better in time. If Butland was any good, why is he still at Stoke?

Lot of doomsayers misjudging this England team from the off and Southgate. Also the pundits claiming it was an easy passage to the semis. Face it, we have a great team and a lot of talent at our disposal and we are going to be real contenders for the next couple of tournaments at least. The backline will feature Gomez and Arnold in the future so it will be stronger.

2 minutes ago, champers said:

I like the fact that he is gobby and should get better in time. If Butland was any good, why is he still at Stoke?

Not saying Butland is better just the England goalie position and lack of an English talent pool is one of our weakest spots

Just now, Rc2702 said:

Lot of doomsayers misjudging this England team from the off and Southgate. Also the pundits claiming it was an easy passage to the semis. Face it, we have a great team and a lot of talent at our disposal and we are going to be real contenders for the next couple of tournaments at least. The backline will feature Gomez and Arnold in the future so it will be stronger.

LOL. You didn't need to be a 'pundit' to see that we did have an easy passage to the semis.

I couldn't care less, but I hope you all enjoy the hypetrain. Let me refer you to the Capello team who waltzed through qualifying (100% record or similar was it?), and were then found lacking on the biggest stage.

Most positive thing about this international break was Lingard and Rashford withdrawing from the squad. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

LOL. You didn't need to be a 'pundit' to see that we did have an easy passage to the semis.

I couldn't care less, but I hope you all enjoy the hypetrain. Let me refer you to the Capello team who waltzed through qualifying (100% record or similar was it?), and were then found lacking on the biggest stage.

Most positive thing about this international break was Lingard and Rashford withdrawing from the squad. 

The passage was easy in previous tournaments and with the players we had they failed miserably. The conduct and professionalism was just not there with previous managers who bottled it where bog decisions were concerned. That's the difference otherwise how come with so called golden generations before, we wilted.

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

The passage was easy in previous tournaments and with the players we had they failed miserably. The conduct and professionalism was just not there with previous managers who bottled it where bog decisions were concerned. That's the difference otherwise how come with so called golden generations before, we wilted.

There is no denying they have improved, and Southgate deserves a lot of credit. But get real, all other 3 sides in the WC semis were comfortably better sides than us.

I'm just glad that Ole has continued the Fergie policy of 'managing the England manager'. No way we should be risking any players at this time of the season. 

On 3/26/2019 at 3:21 PM, Rc2702 said:

Well it clearly was an easy passage to the semis!!!  We lost to the only two decent teams we played quite convincingly, that's the reality.  i don't understand why more England supporters can't be more honest about this.

That said, there's a lot of talent around now and reasons to be quite optimistic about the future although why Pickford is still in goal is beyond me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Well it clearly was an easy passage to the semis!!!  We lost to the only two decent teams we played quite convincingly, that's the reality.  i don't understand why more England supporters can't be more honest about this.

That said, there's a lot of talent around now and reasons to be quite optimistic about the future although why Pickford is still in goal is beyond me.

You can only beat those that are put in front of u   despite the route getting to the semi is a feat and in one off games ANY team can rise to the occasion  and getting to the semis was a decent return/  performances  and is   something to be built on.. its  our performances at   tournemonts that has been in question NOT the quality of our team this hopefully has gone some way to improving that .. as for pickford   its Case of 'manager loyalty' i do believe, ie ive picked you,  your my keeper until you prove your REALLY not up to it..  bit old school good thing  maybe maybe not   we'll see and even though, putring it kindly  there are doubts, unless i'm missing something is there someone who's PROVED OVER TIME  they are better.. tbh cant really think of one.  nationality aside .seems every keeper in the prem  goes through  dodgy periods   the chavs boy seems about the most steady  even then.. seems hes a gobby prick.. allison at times at  the weekend looked suspect.. utds boy has his moments.. hugo... the same but gettin worse..  fabiansky at west ham is havin a good season but he's more than <deleted> up in the past..atm seems keepers are having a turbulant time.. why ? Ive no idea ...maybe the new balls spin and players are learning how to get the most out of them.. look at how erickson gets it to move and he aint the only one gettin good at it   anyways .. and goin bac to the world cup we lost to croatia . Cos southgate was un prepared.. IF he had a well prepared  plan b for our defence AND HE DIDNT  i'm convinced we would have beaten them .. but hey we didnt and thats what will be remembered  BUT thankfully  he' s put that in place .. so we shall c...me i'm of the mindset that this is the best squad/team we've had since 1970 and imo  we will win something sooner rather than latter but again we will c.

Edited by 3 minus 2

• 2 months later...

Dont think i've ever seen an international let alone 2 supposed top european nations make so many errors over 90 mins and over that walker fully desrved his own goal  surely we've better than him,, thought it was getting to  stages  where, if there were alternatives, players were takin them rather than pass to him,  

7 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Dont think i've ever seen an international let alone 2 supposed top european nations make so many errors over 90 mins and over that walker fully desrved his own goal  surely we've better than him,, thought it was getting to  stages  where, if there were alternatives, players were takin them rather than pass to him,  

No, that’s just your anti Walker cos he left Spurs bias. 

Stones and Magoo were a lot worse. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

No, that’s just your anti Walker cos he left Spurs bias. 

Stones and Magoo were a lot worse. 

Read back .. i was pleased he left and to  most  on heres annoyance   had  been saying for  a season maybe longer b4 he left  that we would  be well  rid.. and was abso  OVER THE MOON   getting  45 mil for him     as for the other 2 .. well the leicester boy from what ive seen IS better than that performance...  stones.. well stupid errors unfortunatly  have nearly always  been a part of his 'make up', under pep he seemed to have improved/got rid  but  not  enuf for him to keep/cement  his place at city.,  dont think he started many in their amazing run to clinch the title

,a coincedence? Maybe,, maybe not!!

well that was dull dul dull and IMO TOTALLY pointless, 3 rd  4th who gives a <deleted>,,,,, time these games were ended, the comp,, yeah a good thing but today nobody really needed it or wanted it, all that was needed was to move on from  losin the semi ,  today just kept that going an extra day and the players risked injury, the clubs are justified a whinge  about 3 /4 place games    

• 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Just seen that Trippier is in the upcoming England and Walker isn't, seems strange that bb or bj haven't mentioned that point being as they often like to discuss the both of them ????

The England team isn't really on my radar hence no comment from me. And i think you'll find it's you spurs fans who are always bringing up Walker vs Trippier (i have no problem with ex-City kid Tripps) - go on admit it, it hurt a bit didn't it that Walker turned his back on Sours as he wanted to actually win something in his career.

But Trippier, the player you sprs fans said was so much better that you could afford to sell Walker, now apparently isn't good enough after all and you've sold him.

I see Trippier rates Athletico more than Spurs; he said 2 days ago that he took a step up in his career when he left Tottenham to sign for Atletico Madrid this summer; OUCH! That's funny. ????

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Just seen that Trippier is in the upcoming England and Walker isn't, seems strange that bb or bj haven't mentioned that point being as they often like to discuss the both of them ????

Just goes to show how much he must of improved in such a short time. 

Edited by Kadilo