THE England thread

rijit

As a goal scorer Rooney couldn't match Lineker or Greaves. He kept getting caps under false pretenses IMO (same as Beckham and Barnes). Al 19 he was one of the world's best. That foot injury finished him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

As a goal scorer Rooney couldn't match Lineker or Greaves. He kept getting caps under false pretenses IMO (same as Beckham and Barnes). Al 19 he was one of the world's best. That foot injury finished him.

his final full season at everton until xmas he played SOLEY up front and got , i believe, 11 by xmas ,, then they dropped him bac into an attackin middie  and barely scored,, if he's just been used  SOLELY up front as greavesy and co had   we'd be having a slighty diferent conversation now. MAYBE greaves could have dropped bac   like what rooney did,but linikar NOT ACHANCE IN  HELL , a great goalscorer  he was technically  a borderline  poor footballer , and yes i watched him loads at tottenhamn AND ENGLAND

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Calm down..........take a deep breath. 

Also.......I think your keyboard needs changing. 

And your point ?  you and others need to  get up to speed times when speaking/ down to   just belittle people/posters  are gone .

Edited by 3 minus 2

Well in spite of you throwing a few toys at me I am now convinced and delighted Rooney is to be passed the armband by Delph as it means Kane isn't playing.

If you can swing it for Alli and Winks to watch from the stands too I'll buy you a pint.

21 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Well in spite of you throwing a few toys at me I am now convinced and delighted Rooney is to be passed the armband by Delph as it means Kane isn't playing.

If you can swing it for Alli and Winks to watch from the stands too I'll buy you a pint.

they probably wont mate, its a no mark  friendly with an aproaching compettive game comin up  work it out it aint rocket sci  almost  a good pr exercise, and a gives southgates squad  an exp' of bac 2 bac gams  something were gonna have to deal with if were gonna do ok in tournies.

35 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

not forgetting rooney IS   THE flavour of the mnth out there , the pundits r  puttin his teams rise up the div SOLEY down 2 him, this will do the game huge favors in the states, its a GOOD move on the fa's part what goes around comes around !!!!

32 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

they probably wont mate, its a no mark  friendly with an aproaching compettive game comin up  work it out it aint rocket sci  almost  a good pr exercise, and a gives southgates squad  an exp' of bac 2 bac gams  something were gonna have to deal with if were gonna do ok in tournies.

:biggrin:Down wiv England up the Lilywhites! :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Correct, not in the same class as Lineker, or Greaves i would imagine but i never had the privilege of watching him.  Exactly when did Rooney ever do it in a major tournament? Never.  Picked up shed loads of goals in friendlies and qualifiers against minnow football nations.

Good player without a doubt but......

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, carmine said:

Correct, not in the same class as Lineker, or Greaves i would imagine but i never had the privilege of watching him.  Exactly when did Rooney ever do it in a major tournament? Never.  Picked up shed loads of goals in friendlies and qualifiers against minnow football nations.

21 appearances at major tournaments with a miserly 7 goals. 6 at Euros and 1 at the World Cup.

Probably manage a last minute penalty tonight to add to the he tally. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

21 appearances at major tournaments with a miserly 7 goals. 6 at Euros and 1 at the World Cup.

Yes, this is the real story, a guy that was top draw in the premier league but, despite the number of international goals he scored, he never did it when it really mattered.

And now there's this embarrassing spectacle being played out tonight.  Just awful!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

what are you and carms on about 1 in 3 for someone who played  a proportion of his games from midfeild in an under whelming team at major torn's is hardly terrible

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yes, this is the real story, a guy that was top draw in the premier league but, despite the number of international goals he scored, he never did it when it really mattered.

And now there's this embarrassing spectacle being played out tonight.  Just awful!!

I can see it now. He goes down in the box, last minute, changes into his Big Daddy outfit while the fans chant “Easy!, Easy!” Scores, then the Ref  blows.

As the players get in line, the fans are off down the pub. 

13 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

what are you and carms on about 1 in 3 for someone who played  a proportion of his games from midfeild in an under whelming team at major torn's is hardly terrible

Yeah he was one of the reasons why at the highest level we were underwhelming. His record in those games speaks for itself. 

2 hours ago, carmine said:

1 hour ago, carmine said:

but i suppose that might be better than trying to convince us that lampard and gerrard were world class,!!!! rooney  was out long term captain and a record goalscorer, getting a good bye and a  thank is a GOOD thing . In  the brave new world where its ok for men to show emotion  and the male physci  isnt scared by biggoted nonsence its fine  not    'AWFUL'  and  not 'embarrassing' frankly the only nasty and embarressing thing here is your out dated macho shallow train of thought which gives  you or football  NO plus's

Edited by 3 minus 2

17 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Yeah he was one of the reasons why at the highest level we were underwhelming. His record in those games speaks for itself. 

yeah there were lots of reasons why the england team failed  laying the blame on rooney returning 1-3  isnt  one of them,

1 hour ago, 3 minus 2 said:

yeah there were lots of reasons why the england team failed  laying the blame on rooney returning 1-3  isnt  one of them,

Bit of a mystery with England. From Bobby Robson until very recently England have been poor to say the least. Managers  simply picking their favourites each game while others couldn't get a look in.

Beckham should have got, at the very most, 50 caps, and Gerrard, Barnes and Lampard (and others) didn't cut the mustard as they did for their clubs. At least Gareth S. is giving different players a trial.

As for Rooney; he stopped being world class when he broke his metatarsal bone. Good player after and still is, but his level has gradually lowered. Probably a 4/5th level down now. 

I hear Macclesfield Town could do with a striker. We would take him on a freebee at Enfield Town too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Bit of a mystery with England. From Bobby Robson until very recently England have been poor to say the least. Managers  simply picking their favourites each game while others couldn't get a look in.

Beckham should have got, at the very most, 50 caps, and Gerrard, Barnes and Lampard (and others) didn't cut the mustard as they did for their clubs. At least Gareth S. is giving different players a trial.

As for Rooney; he stopped being world class when he broke his metatarsal bone. Good player after and still is, but his level has gradually lowered. Probably a 4/5th level down now. 

I hear Macclesfield Town could do with a striker. We would take him on a freebee at Enfield Town too.

Matt Le Tissier should have ended up with many many more caps. Pure favouritism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Matt Le Tissier should have ended up with many many more caps. Pure favouritism.

A player I thought was so, so underrated was Micky Hazard. Wasted by both Spurs and England

Edited by owl sees all

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A player I thought was so, so underrated was Micky Hazard. Wasted by both Spurs and England

yeah mickey hazard kept that spurs team going, hoddle got the plaudits but hazard was the heart beat, u could drop hoddle and all would run along smoothly enuf no exibition balls or showboating but the team would cope,,   but when hazard wasnt playing the team stalled and WASNT the same 

as for rooney it must have been a coincidnce because a broken meta' is 100 %recoverable and post recovery  DOESNT in anyway effect a players  performance  if rooney had been playing ALL the time as a striker, his goals to games rate would have been truly amazing as it is   given it longevity and he played ??? games dropping into midfield its still pretty immpressive

• Like 1

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

think if anythink 'affected' him post 30 ish   were  those younger years where he didnt appear to look after himself never seemed to wise up till it was 2 late ,  tbh given his background in all honesty its a surprise he made it this far

• Like 1

thought rooney played well, but overall a useful exercise for southgate, wilson looks as though he'll b v decent cover for kane and  thought there was some vtidy football on show  based on the yoof/newbies/fringe  i saw last night  i'm really optimistic   for englands mid to long term future.

Edited by 3 minus 2

2 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

thought rooney played well, but overall a useful exercise for southgate, wilson looks as though he'll b v decent cover for kane and  thought there was some vtidy football on show  based on the yoof/newbies/fringe  i saw last night  i'm really optimistic   for englands mid to long term future.

A lot will hinge on Winks contribution to that team.

How did you feel he did last night 3-2?

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

A lot will hinge on Winks contribution to that team.

How did you feel he did last night 3-2?

Did ok. Funnily enough what has always been a strong department for us now looks our weakest link

Edited by Mooner
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mooner said:

Did ok. Funnily enough what has always been a strong department for us now looks our weakest link

, yeah henderson/barkley can do those late  gerrardy robson y runs however its a fading within the more disciplined shape  used today

20 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

, yeah henderson/barkley can do those late  gerrardy robson y runs however its a fading within the more disciplined shape  used today

As you both describe....this is why I believe Winks development is crucial for the England team you are describing mate.

Of course perhaps Skippy will come on leaps and bounds too...as he is the next in line as I see it.

16 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

As you both describe....this is why I believe Winks development is crucial for the England team you are describing mate.

Of course perhaps Skippy will come on leaps and bounds too...as he is the next in line as I see it.

yeah maybe with skippy it'll take time he aint quiite ready for a startin spot yet so  who knows how that'll unfold we've seen PLENTY falter at that last step  as for winks no doubts he can spot a pass and unlock a defence ,  however his defensive game needs to improve  and to start he need to CONSISTENTLY add goals or at the v least a goal threat which atm he dont do

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

yeah maybe with skippy it'll take time he aint quiite ready for a startin spot yet so  who knows how that'll unfold we've seen PLENTY falter at that last step  as for winks no doubts he can spot a pass and unlock a defence ,  however his defensive game needs to improve  and to start he need to CONSISTENTLY add goals or at the v least a goal threat which atm he dont do

Yes he is not yet a box to box but I hope he can be.

How great would it be if England's midfield partnership ended up as those two both playing for Spurs?

I'd hate it of course lol.

19 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Yes he is not yet a box to box but I hope he can be.

How great would it be if England's midfield partnership ended up as those two both playing for Spurs?

I'd hate it of course lol.

yeah with todays disciplined approach  'box to box' days are well gone  but he does nice little  runs and then he distributes well its the other parts i said that will 'cement' his place  for eg atm dier offers more ggoal threat than winks, and that CANT b right