Driving from Jomtien to Chiang Mai: Where to stop?

iammarilou

Just arrived in Bangkok and rented a car. We will be driving from Bangkok to Jomtien Beach in the next few days and then driving from Jomtien to Chiang Mai. Its going to be a very long drive (based on google maps) so we decided to break the drive in between. Any suggestion for possible places to stop to spend the night or two? If there are something to see in those places it would also be a plus. It's our first time to do this drive so any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks!

I'd say Kamphaeng Phet. Agreed, it's not quite at mid-trip but it's a pleasant and quiet place.

The historical park is nothing compared to Sukhothai's but it's nice to see, quiet and shaded with numerous trees.

At this time of the year the river bank turns into a popular beach and I really think that it's north enough to be safe for swimming (well at least I did it many times)

There's a reasonably sized Big C shopping mall too in case you need some air conditioned place.

There's a newish night market too now (K-night) that's worth an evening dinner.

Little Switzerland will be 4-5 hours out of your way - it is nice if you want that to tour -

If you are just looking for a night stopover, Nakhorn Sawan, Kampahaeng Phet and Tak are on your way. All have nice riverfronts and some pleasant areas if not a lot of touristy things to do. Tak has quite an abundance of decent places to stay that are very reasonable. Big stopover place for people driving from Bkk-CM...

Why don't you stop in one of these places when you start getting tired. There should be no problem w/hotel availability. Tak is about 3 hours to CM, KPP is 4 hrs and N.Sawan is 5 hrs...

Enjoy the trip.

Little Switzerland will be 4-5 hours out of your way - it is nice if you want that to tour -

If you are just looking for a night stopover, Nakhorn Sawan, Kampahaeng Phet and Tak are on your way. All have nice riverfronts and some pleasant areas if not a lot of touristy things to do. Tak has quite an abundance of decent places to stay that are very reasonable. Big stopover place for people driving from Bkk-CM...

Why don't you stop in one of these places when you start getting tired. There should be no problem w/hotel availability. Tak is about 3 hours to CM, KPP is 4 hrs and N.Sawan is 5 hrs...

Enjoy the trip.

Didn't realise it was that far away kenk but I bow to your local knowledge :)

I go to Nakhon Sawan quite often (Big C, mostly) and I have to agree that it's kind of a boring place with not much to see apart from the Bung Borapeth aquarium and crocodile show. There's kind of a lake beach nearby but it's not very nice IMHO. I prefer KP by far.

Sukhothai Heritage Resort, Sukhothai next to the airport is a great hotel. Use it to visit Sri Satchanalai Historical park and Sukhothai Historical park (the former is my favourite). Drive from hotel to Sri Satchanalai and then its a scenic drive to lampang...hour or so to see lampang and then on to CM.

We always stop at Kamphaeng Phet.. Half way and there are some lovely (and cheap) guesthouses and restaurants on the riverside (veer left before you cross the bridge when entering town, then turn right along the river). Good for a couple of days if you like history - the World Heritage Historical Park and of course not too far away is Sukothai. On our first visit we stopped for one night, ended up staying for 3. If you're retired like me why kill yourself by doing the long drive to CM in one day - stupid!

It depends on how many days you have. Two days and not interested in seeing the sights on the way? Nakhon Sawan is almost exactly halfway there. Around 450 km each leg. The Bonitos Chinos Hotel opposite Big C just after you cross the Chao Praya bridge is a very lice little hotel. Around 900 baht. A much cheaper one (450 baht) but also very nice and quiet is May Hom (My Home) northeast of the lake but harder to find. Aim for the Sri Sawan Hospital and ask. Not a lot to see in NS but a walk around the lake at night is pleasant and there are plenty of eateries and bars along the route.

We always stop at Kamphaeng Phet.. Half way and there are some lovely (and cheap) guesthouses and restaurants on the riverside (veer left before you cross the bridge when entering town, then turn right along the river). Good for a couple of days if you like history - the World Heritage Historical Park and of course not too far away is Sukothai. On our first visit we stopped for one night, ended up staying for 3. If you're retired like me why kill yourself by doing the long drive to CM in one day - stupid!

Agree...

stop and enjoy, as you may never do this again.

We done trips across Thailand from Mae Hong Son to Udon and back. about 7 trips on the short cut road through Dan Chai in Loei between Udon and Chiang Mai (go and return)...and three trips from Chiang Mai to Mukdahan.....going down 11 and over on 12 through Petchabun. Did the Bangkok to Chiang Mai...as well as the Udon to Bangkok.

You get the idea. On all the trips....we leave just before sunset...stop at a nice location for lunch and a rest stop...and then stop again before 5 pm at a nice resort. We leave an hour of daylight or two...to look around...dinner...and a nice walk in the morning.

I detest those folks who speed up to Chiang Mai, and brag about their 140 kph, non stop ..hell ride. You see the suggestions..for stopping. If you want, pick your road and then go to google earth and type in hotel/resort. Wherever you see a small cluster..near a mountain(hill) or river/dam that would indicate a nice place to sleep.

We liked Nam Nao and Khao Kho in ....there are tons of waterfalls (rainy season best..probably dry now) as you near Phitsanulok. I would do Petchabun.... all depends on the road you are taking. You don't have to take the super highway....their are other roads. We stay at those places that have separate wooden knock down units with a porch. Petchabun was more expensive than other areas. Best temple in Petchabun...forgot the name...but fantastic area.

No hurry...ever. No schedules.....just go and enjoy.

Edited by slipperylobster

Agree That's where I stop on the way up, last time I stayed in a nice hotel on river front which was full of Miss Thailand competitors, It was difficult staying there the night ........ But I coped.

Stay the night in BKK on your way up. Its only a day drive BKK to CM.

He's starting from Bangkok and ending in Bangkok, yet you suggest to stop-over in Bangkok.

Facing the horrendous BKK traffic is bad enough twice; why three times?

I used to do it in one go till I realized I wasn't enjoying it the way I felt it should be....sort of racing against myself....now I stop in Nakon Sawan or Pistanaluke so as to relax more and not watching the clock all the time....Life is so much more pleasant when one can discipline oneself to slow down and smell the roses.

I've made the drive many times. If you have not done it, I would suggest stopping in Sukhothai and spend at least a day. The suggestion of stopping in Tak is also good, though not as much to see as Sukhothai. Kampaeng Phet is another decent option. My wife searches for temples to visit on all our roadtrips, so that tends to break up a trip, and it is amazing to see some of the architecture, if that interests you. You can do the drive in one day, but unless you are on a schedule, what's the fun in that?