Drive through

grumpyoldman

Had some business in Phuket Town today was on Chaofa East when I spotted something I was always curious about.

You see, in the Land of Yanks (aka LOY) we have loads of drive through restaurants. Back when I was a kid at Jack in The Box you actually spoke into a clowns head to order, creeped your way up, hit a cashier and got your bags of food, off you went. Recently in the west are some really good burgers at the aptly named "In-And-Out".

Always thought maybe a land issue here why they didn't do drive throughs but guess what !!! As I was on Chaofa East today you'll never guess what I saw (or maybe if not too dim you can) a huge sign of The Colonel and under that bearded Kentucky face was a sign "drive through".

Leave it to Colonel Sanders to break the ice. Swing on through get some chicken and mash potatoes out to a Cape Panwa picnic area, done !.

post-92090-0-25165200-1459154954_thumb.j

Edited by grumpyoldman

I recently saw a new McD's somewhere between here and NST which had a drive through. That was the first I had ever seen here in LOS. I lived in North Chicago for a bit and there were drive through liquor stores. Also in LOY there are loads of pharmacies with drive through.

Edited by Shot

Interesting ... never noticed a fast food drive-through in Thailand.

I would just be happy with a McD or BK here in Kata ... to save drive to Patong or Phuket Town ..

I doubt the owners of the small eateries in Kata feel the same way.

It would certainly have an impact on their business.

I recently saw a new McD's somewhere between here and NST which had a drive through. That was the first I had ever seen here in LOS. I lived in North Chicago for a bit and there were drive through liquor stores. Also in LOY there are loads of pharmacies with drive through.

I was in Texas for a year in 1981, same thing, drive through liquor stores, now mind you, can't drink and drive but pull up and we'll toss a case of beer in to you !

Has to be land value that keeps these type of businesses from opening. The KFC I'm describing is going to be huge, I think land where that is going in is on the cheaper side (for Phuket anyway).

Edited by grumpyoldman

Those who are 'homesick" and long for the ability to acquire junk food without having to use their legs should return to the LOY !

While I agree with your sentiments slightly.

Have you never witnessed the local population and their version of drive through EG can't be arsed to dismount the motorbike while at the local market or pulling up on the side of a street at a noodle cart.

It happens here to,just not in a way that is familiar to westerners.

I would just be happy with a McD or BK here in Kata ... to save drive to Patong or Phuket Town ..

Lets add this post to that list of trollers.

I wonder how the business model will hold up? Do you think Thais will utilize it more or less?

I wonder how the business model will hold up? Do you think Thais will utilize it more or less?

First, I know Thai people like KFC. A Thai salesgirl I used to work with would go to the one at Villa she liked it, said it's different than the usual cart chicken.

As another poster has pointed out, they like their takeaway food too albeit from the bbq carts and restaurant ka baan, but there you go, they like their takeaway.

Small business management degree I got way back when "location, location, location". That could be the flaw as I think many will begin to try to give Chalong circle a miss with the construction and all, but it's still a busy road and a quick stop and go for working people headed back to Phuket town (?), yea, I give it 70-30 to do well.

The Brick, the coffee shop at Tesco Lotus on Chao Fah West has a drive through.

Johnatong got his arse kicked on the "Are European kids smarter than Thai kids" thread, where he was outed as a liar.

He hasn't been back there, so, guess he's hiding here.

Edited by KarenBravo

Why do you think it's a troll post????

If you had a small cafe in Kata, then Starbucks opened up next door, don't you think your business would be impacted? Don't you think other nearby cafes would be impacted?

What about the tourists that would have gone to a small eatery to look at the menu and order a simple "chicken fried rice" or similar, many would go and buy a burger at McD's because that's what they are familiar with. Don't you think it would have an impact eateries in the area?

Remember, I am taking about LIK wishing there was a McD's or BK in Kata, not the "drive through" in the OP.

The new McD being build next to Central will have a drive trough.

Correct but don't hold your breath. Construction has stalled there for weeks now.

quite the oposite id say, it finaly started moving at 0.00001% of normal speed instead of 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Why do you think it's a troll post????

If you had a small cafe in Kata, then Starbucks opened up next door, don't you think your business would be impacted? Don't you think other nearby cafes would be impacted?

What about the tourists that would have gone to a small eatery to look at the menu and order a simple "chicken fried rice" or similar, many would go and buy a burger at McD's because that's what they are familiar with. Don't you think it would have an impact eateries in the area?

Remember, I am taking about LIK wishing there was a McD's or BK in Kata, not the "drive through" in the OP.

NKM you missed the post regarding people that want this type of food should go back to their respective countries. That troll got nuked.

Basically, (and sorry to be redundant) genesis of the topic, I was just surprised to see it going in, but as others have mentioned it looks as though more and more are going in.

There are a lot of cars here, I think the amount of cars has tripled in the last four years, so the model makes a certain amount of sense.

The new McD being build next to Central will have a drive trough.

Correct but don't hold your breath. Construction has stalled there for weeks now.

I heard that the project run out of money.

Nothing new then. Lol

@ grumpyoldman

No, it's you who has missed the point, GOM.

My post was in reply to LIK's post, not your OP.

These multinational fast food chains impact on local small business. They are the leaders in globalization. They eventually effect our choice and variety.

I am not saying this particular restaurant will, but picture a McD's and BK in Kata. It would have a huge impact on the small eateries in the area, and possibly cause some to close, thus decreasing choice and variety for all of us.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ grumpyoldman

These multinational fast food chains impact on local small business. They are the leaders in globalization. They eventually effect our choice and variety.

I am not saying this particular restaurant will, but picture a McD's and BK in Kata. It would have a huge impact on the small eateries in the area, and possibly cause some to close, thus decreasing choice and variety for all of us.

Same could be said of Subway as they also went into Karon, Kata and many places. Some have already folded, others have no punters. Subway was the fastest growing food franchise in the world, so you can't poo poo saying they are not in the same league as BK and McD, they are. Subway just offer a different choice than BK and McD. Customers determine what businesses stay around and which businesses fold up.

@ grumpyoldman

Same could be said of Subway as they also went into Karon, Kata and many places. Some have already folded, others have no punters. Subway was the fastest growing food franchise in the world, so you can't poo poo saying they are not in the same league as BK and McD, they are. Subway just offer a different choice than BK and McD. Customers determine what businesses stay around and which businesses fold up.

So, you are saying a McD's in the middle of Kata poses no threat to small eateries, and it could possibly go broke and fold.

That's a big call, SP, and one I don't agree with.

So, you are saying a McD's in the middle of Kata poses no threat to small eateries, and it could possibly go broke and fold.

They would be catereing for a different market. Fact is that McD is much more expensive than small eateries.

But I guess the likes of McD and BK can't see a big enough market in Kata. I happen to know that the Pizza Hut in Kata is loosing money and the staff expect to be out of a job soon.

@ grumpyoldman

Actually I'm saying market forces will determine what will make it and what won't. Market forces seem to say good restaurants stay around, while those that offer nothing special, might be overpriced, or taste like <deleted> won't survive.

Anyway back on topic, I don't think Kata has enough room for a drive through, unless it was a motorbike drive through........

They would be catereing for a different market. Fact is that McD is much more expensive than small eateries.

But I guess the likes of McD and BK can't see a big enough market in Kata. I happen to know that the Pizza Hut in Kata is loosing money and the staff expect to be out of a job soon.

Would they be catering to a different market, or the same market, that just happens to be in Thailand for a 2 week holiday????

Have you factored in "accessibility?"

If it's there, tourist with use it, because it's familiar, fast, and reliable. If it's not there, tourists are forced to go into an eatery.

Duplicate post removed.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ grumpyoldman

Actually I'm saying market forces will determine what will make it and what won't. Market forces seem to say good restaurants stay around, while those that offer nothing special, might be overpriced, or taste like <deleted> won't survive.

Anyway back on topic, I don't think Kata has enough room for a drive through, unless it was a motorbike drive through........

McD's is a global brand, with a global following. They practically brainwash kids with toys with their burger. Those kids grow up to continue eating that rubbish.

The parent company may wear the loss for a while, to knock out the opposition - then the profits start rolling in.

I wasn't specifically talking about a drive through in Kata, just a McD's or a BK outlet.

There is no place deader than Kata / Karon during the rainy season.

Used to be the case, but these days nearly all shops are open. Low season is far from as low as it used to be.