Swiss businessmen fleeced by Suvarnabhumi taxi - but Thailand restores some pride!

webfact

Smart traveller, do not travel if the driver does not turn on the meter,

No home work done by either passengers , as the first trip by one of them to Thailand,

when i travel i read about where i am going , what not to do what is the custom etc

reading about scams here in Thailand are numerous ,

i think the two travellers are lazy and one of them is not a very shrewd business man.

Then the businessmen better take a holiday for a week to read thaivisa forum first. And they will still be cheated in the land of scams.

But why did the taxi go back to Swampy? This proves that a group of taxi's belongs to the airport and only takes rides from there.

I don't understand why the whole of Thailand is getting blamed (by the wording of this article) for the actions of a taxi driver. If I get ripped off by a taxi driver in England should the whole country feel like they should be ashamed? Should I get a letter from the queen?

SOME taxi drivers are dodgy, it is in there DNA to try it on. The buggers just can't help themselves. They descend from the same ancestors as the jetski operators. It is part of their business plan. But blaming the entire country for it? This bloke went in too hard, if he had just gone in for 2,000 he probably would have got away with it. This will be a lesson he we will be able to pass on to the next generation.

Generally speaking, Thai taxis are great, one tenth of the price than in Australia where the are so expensive they are not really affordable.

It is pretty simple, you just ask them if they use the meter, if they do then great. If not, ask how much, if it ok, good, if not catch another one. It is not as if they are rare.

Don't get angry if they don't want to take you, up to them, just get another one. The money they get is low, I don't blame them for refusing fares sometimes, they obviously have a reason to. Last time in Swampy, the driver told me an inflated price, so I got out and caught another one, even after the original dropped his price. It is a bit annoying, but not hard to do.

IN MY EXPERIENCE most of them are ok, they are dirt cheap and plentiful. Cheap taxis for me, is one of the good things about living in Thailand.

Even in Sydney the backpackers get a free hotel/hostel shuttle bus, i had one to Coogee beach 20 years ago. There were free phones on the airport, you could just pick it up and got the hostel on the line to tell you where their bus would arrive/be.

And at the airport i will get angry if they refuse my destination because we first have to be in a long qeueu to get a taxi, pay 60 baht (or 100 now?) for it and then it can still be any dirty/broken taxi, not a good one like you would expect. I had taxi's from Swampy who couldn't go faster then 90 on the tollways or the whole backside started shaking/rattling.

And after ALL the crackdowns on taxi's at Thai airports one would suggest something would be changed by now, obviously not.

Now Swiss company's will think twice before going to Thailand for business, costing ALL Thai jobs and money. And this news will not only spread to Swiss but also to it's neighbours. This businessman has something to tell on his golfclub, facebook, corporate newspaper and so on.... So yes it's bad for Thailand as a country.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And what action is being taken against the crook who drove the taxi?

Probably set to receive a commendation from the RTP, and, possibly, a high-ranking position... coffee1.gif

He probably got a reward from the RTP for 'Being Honest When Caught'.

He should have been fined 18,000 baht & banned for life from the taxi ranks.

He most assuredly should not even be allowed to keep even the 600 baht fare.

Nothing to be happy about, guess we're all more concern what happen to the driver and what the authority going to do to prevent future happening.......this case is just one of the many cases happening daily, the different of this case is being reported angry.pngangry.pngangry.pngangry.pngangry.png

This is a problem solved in minutes.....sign on the back of drivers seat " this taxi by law operates on a meter only basis if the driver does not turn on meter please call...0000......subject to a 5000 bagt fine.....Note: you are a passenger travelling in a non metered taxi any insurance claims in the event of an accident are null and void.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Airport taxi driver fined 3,000 baht for overcharging Swiss passenger

371-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The taxi driver who overcharged a Swiss executive for 6,000 baht on the ride from Suvarnabhumi airport to hotel on Sathorn road was today fined 3,000 baht and had his public transport driving licence revoked.

Pipatpol Jaikham, 57, driver of the yellow-green colour taxi bearing licence plate “มฉ936”, claimed he did not overcharge the Swiss passenger saying it was the consent of the passenger to pay 600 baht for the ride.

However he said it was the passenger himself who drew out six 1,000 baht banknotes and handed over to him.

He claimed it was him that decided to go back to the hotel to return the rest to him.

But according to a transport officer, the driver had a past record of overcharging passenger on January 3 this year.

As a result, he was fined 3,000 baht and had his public transport driving licence revoked.

However the driver could appeal to the Land Transport Department within 15 days, the officer said.

The transport department launched an investigation after the overcharging of a Swiss president went viral on the social media after a Thai executive of Car Lack Thai German Co Ltd posted on Facebook revealing the airport taxi overcharging his guest.

He said he felt very embarrassed by the conduct of the airport taxi driver who did not regard the image of the country.

His posting promoted the Land Transport to investigate.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157355

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-29

"Pipatpol Jaikham, 57, driver of the yellow-green colour taxi bearing licence plate “มฉ936”, claimed he did not overcharge the Swiss passenger saying it was the consent of the passenger to pay 600 baht for the ride."

Liar

"However he said it was the passenger himself who drew out six 1,000 baht banknotes and handed over to him.

He claimed it was him that decided to go back to the hotel to return the rest to him."

Liar

What will they tell people in Switzerland?

When we go to Thailand taxi drivers rip us off.

When Thais come to Switzerland they throw rubbish everywhere.

Cultural exchange programme khabbb wai2.gif

Edited by mesterm

If I may differ...

I cannot imagine that even the worst crook would dream of charging 6000 Baht. 600 is an already inflated price, he tried it.

He probably did not believe his eyes when the Swiss guy counted out 6x1000 notes, he just drove off.

So yes, if he had been honest he would have said right there that it was way too much. But I don't think he started it.

Kudos to the hotel employees.

As for the Swiss guy, if he doesn't know the difference between 600 and 6000 or doesn't care, then let's hope he doesn't go shopping too.

"Added Krit:"The hotel were as dejected as me about this situation and I am grateful to them for their quick action in restoring some face to the country."

He appealed for all relevant authorities to stamp out the fleecing of tourists by taxis and said he gave 1000 baht as a reward to a hotel employee for their swift action in helping the Swiss."

Krit is probably fleecing the Swiss guy himself and wanted all competition ruled out. And where is the promotional photo of Krit handing over the 1000 baht to the bellboy? 5555

No home work done by either passengers , as the first trip by one of them to Thailand,

when i travel i read about where i am going , what not to do what is the custom etc

i think the two travellers are lazy and one of them is not a very shrewd business man.

I am waiting for your asking a Taxi to put his meter in Samuicheesy.gif

Then the businessmen better take a holiday for a week to read thaivisa forum first. And they will still be cheated in the land of scams.

But why did the taxi go back to Swampy? This proves that a group of taxi's belongs to the airport and only takes rides from there.

I don't understand why the whole of Thailand is getting blamed (by the wording of this article) for the actions of a taxi driver. If I get ripped off by a taxi driver in England should the whole country feel like they should be ashamed? Should I get a letter from the queen?

SOME taxi drivers are dodgy, it is in there DNA to try it on. The buggers just can't help themselves. They descend from the same ancestors as the jetski operators. It is part of their business plan. But blaming the entire country for it? This bloke went in too hard, if he had just gone in for 2,000 he probably would have got away with it. This will be a lesson he we will be able to pass on to the next generation.

Generally speaking, Thai taxis are great, one tenth of the price than in Australia where the are so expensive they are not really affordable.

It is pretty simple, you just ask them if they use the meter, if they do then great. If not, ask how much, if it ok, good, if not catch another one. It is not as if they are rare.

Don't get angry if they don't want to take you, up to them, just get another one. The money they get is low, I don't blame them for refusing fares sometimes, they obviously have a reason to. Last time in Swampy, the driver told me an inflated price, so I got out and caught another one, even after the original dropped his price. It is a bit annoying, but not hard to do.

IN MY EXPERIENCE most of them are ok, they are dirt cheap and plentiful. Cheap taxis for me, is one of the good things about living in Thailand.

Even in Sydney the backpackers get a free hotel/hostel shuttle bus, i had one to Coogee beach 20 years ago. There were free phones on the airport, you could just pick it up and got the hostel on the line to tell you where their bus would arrive/be.

And at the airport i will get angry if they refuse my destination because we first have to be in a long qeueu to get a taxi, pay 60 baht (or 100 now?) for it and then it can still be any dirty/broken taxi, not a good one like you would expect. I had taxi's from Swampy who couldn't go faster then 90 on the tollways or the whole backside started shaking/rattling.

And after ALL the crackdowns on taxi's at Thai airports one would suggest something would be changed by now, obviously not.

Now Swiss company's will think twice before going to Thailand for business, costing ALL Thai jobs and money. And this news will not only spread to Swiss but also to it's neighbours. This businessman has something to tell on his golfclub, facebook, corporate newspaper and so on.... So yes it's bad for Thailand as a country.

Exactly. but "Roomuck" will never stop trying to defend Thais. period

Such a wit.

And what action is being taken against the crook who drove the taxi?

He has recieved attitude ajustment therapy from the airport, he also has promised to leave the Mafia and change his ways, "Thank God for government reforms in LOS".

On the other hand nothing has changed in years, first time I came here16 yrs ago the scammers were plentifull at Don Muang asking 4000 to the city, only because I was forwarned did i ignore them and walk outside and get a taxi metre for , 400 or so can't remember, but soon learnt where to go at airport for taxi.

Just a few weeks ago I flew into Don Muang and went upstairs for a Taxi, a scammer aproached me and said I show you where to go for Taxi 2000, I ignored him and just went to the taxi rank and got Taxi Metre.

This problem at the airports was supposed to be cleaned up and never has been--- surprise ,surprise.

wai2.gif