Internal flight in Thailand. Do you think I will make the connection

ghworker2010

We live in the north of thailand and want to take a holiday in the south.

We plan to fly airasia into Don Mueang airport.

Our flight leaves the north at 1.45pm and arrives into DMG at 240pm.

The connecting flight from DMG to the south leaves at 5pm.

This flight is mid week and in June and thus not exactly peak period. If it runs late by an hour we are screwed. I presume its not possible to check in the bags all the way through to the final destination?

What are your thoughts on this issue?

I'm not sure if AirAsia offer that service, presuming that your connecting flight is also with Air Asia? If everything runs to schedule you should make it, although you'll be rushing a bit at Don Mueang.

But if there is a delay in landing at Don Mueang your toast. Why not stay the night in a hotel and travel South the next day? That's what I do, I stay at the Amari Hotel that is connected to the airport terminal via a bridge.

Whatever you do, good luck.

More than 2 hour connecting time and both flights are to/from Don Muang...should be fine unless there is a major delay in take off of the first flight.

If both flights are with the same airline, call and ask them if yo uwill be able to check in just once and be issued both boarding passes and check your luggage through. If so then no problem in the least.

But I think even if you have to pick up your luggage and then check in anew, you should have enough time.

Are you serious?

Do I understand correct:

Your domestic flight from the north arrives at Don Mueang (DMK) at 14:40h.

Your domestic connection to the south departs Don Mueang (DMK) at 17:00h.

2:20h for a domestic connection at Don Mueang?

Hell would open if you miss such a connection!

In June!

You will be bored to death at DMK.

Other threads ask for a 45 min connection tongue.png

Should be moved to travel forum or Don Mueang.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If worried, don't check-in any baggage. Loads of time, with an hour delay you'd be fine with no bags checked.

Not sure if you can do an online check-in with Air Asia, but if you can, do it in the morning for both flights and print off all boarding passes.

I still don't get it.

Even at Suvarnabhumi it takes me no more than 15 min to walk from the plane and pickup my checked baggage on a domestic flight.

It's domestic to domestic, same terminal (2) at a much smaller airport.

It's June, deep offseason, early afternoon.

To the OP: you didn't state whether the connecting flight is also on Air Asia?

And I don't know about checking bags through and getting boarding passes for the connecting flight at first check-in with AirAsia.

Maybe someone knows for sure.

Edited by KhunBENQ

This thread is absurd. Your connection time is over two hours....even if your first flight was an hour late, it's still not a problem.

(For those wondering aloud, Air Asia allows you to check in on-line up to 14 days in advance. You can print the boarding passes when you do so.)

2 hours is plenty. you can do online check in and as the above poster said, you can usually print your boarding pass. but thats not important just so long as you do the online check in

This is the same as asking if it will rain next Wednesday at 2:17 pm. If you are so afraid of missing the second flight. Leave one day earlier and stay at an airport hotel. Set 22 alarm clocks and tell 18 friends to call your room. Grow up dude.

I have done a similar connection with 1h10m between flights. Made the connection but do not recommend such a small time. The biggest delay at DM will be picking up your bags from the first flight. The baggage is very slow coming out. Your 2h40m should be easy.

This is the same as asking if it will rain next Wednesday at 2:17 pm. If you are so afraid of missing the second flight. Leave one day earlier and stay at an airport hotel. Set 22 alarm clocks and tell 18 friends to call your room. Grow up dude.

go back to your bar stool dude and you BG

Its personal choice regarding how much risk you want to take and also what are connecting to. Is it a fixed dated flight, 100% non refundable or date changeable and refundable? Are you doing anything important like going to a wedding or catching a cruise.

If you fly on time you have no worries. If however the day you depart the plane you start your journey on arrives late so you depart late its going to eat into your connection time. Maybe a super VIP is using the airport which in Thailand means outside of DMK and BKK airports everything has to halt. No take offs or landing, inbound flights holding for 45 mins or even hour before they can use the airport. Its happened to me. Or a brief storm kicks up for 30 mins and you are flying around in cirlces above Ayuthaya because nothing can land at DMK. Thats happened to me. Always build in some buffer time with connections. Assume you will depart 1 hour late and work from there in selecting your connections. If you are traveling for important reasons make your connections even longer for peace of mind of stay over night and connect the next day.

Domestic flights with Air Asia are "point to point" not Fly Thru , so although you can check-in and print both boarding passes on-line, you still have to retrieve and then "drop-off" your checked-in luggage before the 2nd check in closes. Still plenty of time. If the first flt is canx, you will normally be offered the option of switching to an earlier flt or date.

The issue is not so much the time between flights, there is enough time to make the connection as long as the first flight is not seriously delayed. The problem is if there is a delay ... it could be more than one hour, it has been known. I use Air Asia quite frequently and have been delayed a few times for more than one hour.

If the plane stays overnight in the north and the 1:45pm is the plane's first flight you will probably be okay. If it is an incoming flight that morning then the risk of delay is higher.

On a balance of probabilities I reckon you will be okay.

With over 2 hours I would try it. If the flight is delayed your still half way there and can book a hotel after you land if you need to. Re-booking your expected hotel is no problem either. Especially when you have a good excuse. If with the same airline it is easy and fuss free in re-booking your ticket for the next day also.

As a rule I always like to book my flights with the same airline or sister airlines especially when there is connecting flights. Besides generally being cheaper, your baggage can generally go straight through. On International flights, if your flight is delayed the airline will also put you up in a hotel for free. Had that happen many times to me. But with 2 different airlines once you reach you first destination as far as they are concerned you arrive. Late or not.

The issue is not so much the time between flights, there is enough time to make the connection as long as the first flight is not seriously delayed. The problem is if there is a delay ... it could be more than one hour, it has been known. I use Air Asia quite frequently and have been delayed a few times for more than one hour.

If the plane stays overnight in the north and the 1:45pm is the plane's first flight you will probably be okay. If it is an incoming flight that morning then the risk of delay is higher.

On a balance of probabilities I reckon you will be okay.

By 1.45pm there will have been 5 AA arrivals into CNX from DMK and 4 departures.

You think an airline can afford to stand a plane for over 14 hours? They cost money stood on the ground and make money in the air.

Same plane will have made several flights by that time of day.

OP. I'm not seeing an AA flight leaving CNX at 1.45pm. I see 1.35pm arriving DMK 2.50pm