Can Anyone Tell Me A Bit About Mae Sot

joe1912

Hi,

can anyone tell me a bit about Mae Sot. A friend of mine in UK asked me to get some info as his son has applied for a job there working for a human rights agency. The son doesnt need the info but my friend is interested.

Any info appreciated.. cost of living, local community/expat mix, medical arrangements... how to get there! What's it like...

thanks

Joe

It's a border town / border area. Very scenic. It gets remote quickly once you go from Mae Sod either North or South. It's a beautiful area.

There's 'some' tourism for people who want to get off the beaten track. I went camping there once in one of the national parks. Very nice area.

Not much in the way of an expat community; first and foremost his son will be hanging out with other people in the NGO or related NGO's. Every district town has basic hospitals, bigger hospitals would be in Tak.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Mae Sot is a fascinating place. As Chanchao said, most of the expat scene is involved with either NGOs or the media.

I presume the Human Rights Agency will be concerned with refugees/ displaced persons from Burma. I'm sure he will get to know the crew at Dr Cynthia's famous clinic pretty quickly. To find out more, try getting hold of the excellent Restless Souls by Phil Thornton. Another good source of info is The Irrawaddy magazine www.irrawaddy.org

Mae Sot is a fascinating place. As Chanchao said, most of the expat scene is involved with either NGOs or the media.

I presume the Human Rights Agency will be concerned with refugees/ displaced persons from Burma. I'm sure he will get to know the crew at Dr Cynthia's famous clinic pretty quickly. To find out more, try getting hold of the excellent Restless Souls by Phil Thornton. Another good source of info is The Irrawaddy magazine www.irrawaddy.org

Hi,

Yes he would be working with an organisation concerned with Burma. I think my friend will feel a bit more secure knowing there are medical facilities!

thanks for the info Polecat, Chanchao and Yeoldesage.

Hi,

can anyone tell me a bit about Mae Sot. A friend of mine in UK asked me to get some info as his son has applied for a job there working for a human rights agency. The son doesnt need the info but my friend is interested.

Any info appreciated.. cost of living, local community/expat mix, medical arrangements... how to get there! What's it like...

thanks

Joe

Hi, here's a link to a previous thread about living in Mae Sot Mae Sot Thread