Tunnel Charges

onemorechang

post-188880-0-74559900-1459468935_thumb.

Been reported that the new Tunnel on Sukhumvet

will be a Toll Tunnel, minimum charge of 20 baht, for a one way journey, 15 baht for Thais and commercial traffic, a discount season type ticket will be available at BTS stations at a flat rate for all or bought online. (no dual pricing) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How nice. I assume motorbikes are free, but who knows with this type of nonsense .

This is not a step in the right direction, look at all the congestion this tunnel has caused drivers so far, now we are going to have to pay for the privilege of sitting in a traffic jam for 3 years !!!!!!! what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also charges will be leveed until the tunnel is paid for. How long will that be !!!!!!!

Can you imagine the amount of traffic that will be trying to get down the two roads

Parallel to the Sukhumvet by the train tracks, trying to avoid the charges of the tunnel !!!!! facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

This will just be hell on earth , for people living on the dark side trying to get into town all day long.

Amazing Pattaya bah.gif

I don't have any direct involvement with this project, but the BTS connection suggests that it will be operated by KT who operate the Bangkok BRT and parts of the BTS.

If this is true then revenue collection will be by BSS meaning your Rabbit card should be usable :)

Of course Rabbit has no outlets outside BKK, at least yet.

I feel that this charging system is justified to recover the investment costs. Give the fact that I can buy an annual ticket on line at reduced cost, seems fair to me.

Just one question (I don't think this has been fully thought thru), is the ticket for the vehicle or the driver? Will I need 2 annual passes, at different rates, 1 for when I drive and one for when my Thai wife drives?

I am also pleased to see that they have not followed the 10x dual pricing model, a 5 Baht surcharge for farangs appears reasonable to me.

Edited by BigBadGeordie

Sounds like a good plan, especially since we luxury tourists like to show off our wealth by always paying more than the poor Thai people. Good way to check on the visas of those tourists to see if they are on overstay too.

Sounds like a good plan, especially since we luxury tourists like to show off our wealth by always paying more than the poor Thai people. Good way to check on the visas of those tourists to see if they are on overstay too.

What about those of us who don't want to pay that much or really can't afford it. Is there a way to drive to get around the tunnel somehow ?

What about those of us who don't want to pay that much or really can't afford it. Is there a way to drive to get around the tunnel somehow ?

They have though about this and there will be separate 'walking/pushing' lanes for those unable or unwilling to pay. Note that this is totally different from the 'walk/push' option at the toll gate ONLY (see steve187's earlier post). The above mentioned lane is solely for 100% end-to-end, walk/push drivers.

The downside for this flexibility is the additional lanes required will require additional tunneling which will add about 12 months per-lane to the construction time with a commensurate increase in the toll fees.

Anyone who wants the cheap annual ticket option better get a move on.

I got mine at City Hall an hour ago and the queue was pretty long.

An important hint!

Hurry up, it's limited sale at special price.

If they are going to check visas, it would also make sense to be able to do a 90 day report at the toll booth as well. Would save standing in the que at the 7-11.

And for those who bypass the tunnel, you'll hit extra traffic lights set on 5 min waiting times, continuing road works reducing lanes to one for the next 20 years (or however long it takes to pay the bill for this white elephant), and lots of police checkpoints 24 hours a day - meaning, USE THE TUNNEL and make us rich, you cheapskate. :)

Just kidding - they wouldn't do that.

Would they?

That troll has certainly got you guys going. Well done.

You don't like to feed April fools jokes?

Last years "90 day report at 7/11" will hardly be beaten anytime.

Even months later you found guys that believed in this story.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I thought it was a good one, should have added a 5 Baht charge for animals as well!!

Don't be bothered by him, it are just sour grapes from someone who considers himself a forum authority.